• Published 9th Jun 2018
  • 1,316 Views, 163 Comments

Before the Friendship Games: Sour Sweet - CapNTilfy



Sour Sweet has been miserable for as long as she can remember. Little does she know what lies ahead for her... Book Three of the Crystal Prep Chronicles: Before the Friendship Games

  • ...
1
 163
 1,316

Loneliness

Author's Note:

Eight days until the Friendship Games.

Sour Sweet rolled over on the floor in her bedroom, waking up. She stretched, popping her back and wincing. She sighed heavily and looked out the window. Well, at least the outside doesn't look as shitty as the inside. Her bedroom was nearly as empty as the house she lived in. A whole house. To herself. Almost, but not quite as empty as she felt inside on a day-to-day basis.

She changed into her uniform and went downstairs to an empty kitchen with nobody to greet her. As she looked around the house, she saw all the holes she had punched into the walls over the course of her stay. She'd rather be alone than spend one more second with...them.

The mere thought of those people made her blood boil and was the primary reason all those holes were punched. The whole reason for her suffering. She shoved the issue into the back of her mind. Life was hell enough as it is, she didn't need more bullshit to deal with.

Sour Sweet sighed heavily again and left her house.

----------------------------------------------

Thankfully, the wait for the school bus was practically nonexistent. She'd rather get this day over with so she could wallow in misery by herself.

Now, Sour, you know you're not alone...

Sour Sweet blinked, then sighed deeply.

What the fuck do you want? she asked.

What I want is simply to remind you that you're never alone. Not as long as I'm around!

Fuck off, I'd rather be lonely than deal with you! she thought.

It barked a laugh. As if you have a choice in the matter!

Sour winced. It was right. It was always right.

Before the conversation could continue, the bus reached Crystal Prep Academy.

"Time for another day at Hellhole High!" Sour blinked. Stop calling it that!

But you know it's true! is said in a singsong tone.

Sour sighed deeply. It was right. It was always right. She left the bus and walked towards the entrance. Out of the corner of her eye, she could have sworn she saw Sunny Flare talking to some random student. Sour shrugged and moved on. None of my business, so why should I care?

Suddenly, unbidden, a painful memory resurfaced.

"Aww, that's sweet of you! But you're not my type!"

Sour clutched her head and winced, holding back tears. She took a deep breath, then exhaled, calming herself down. She went inside Crystal Prep.

She wandered the halls, avoiding eye contact. She was not in the mood for interaction if she could help it. She found her first period class, then entered.

----------------------------------------------

"Well, that was a thing that happened." she muttered under her breath. First period classes were boring as hell, and she knew hell. She walked the halls again, noticing banners for something called the "Friendship Games". Sour rolled her eyes and scoffed. "Friendship. Hah! Those games have nothing to do with friendship. All it is is the Crystal Prep Shadowbolts beating the crap out of the Canterlot High Wondercolts every three years!" Shaking her head, Sour Sweet walked into her second period class.

----------------------------------------------

Sour made a sputtering noise as she left the classroom. "Seriously, some of that shit should be common knowledge!" She sighed. She saw Jet Set and Upper Crust pass her by. Sour sighed. I'd hate to admit it to anyone, but I'm jealous of couples. They have happiness. They have each other. Me? I have misery...and a sour side.

Is that what you're going to call me? it asked angrily.

If it pisses you off that much, then yes! Sour Sweet thought.

So be it. thought Sour Side.

What were you expecting? Something edgy? Something that'll get you all the hot guys? Oh, wait. You're not real. So fuck you! Sour Sweet thought as she went into her third period class.

----------------------------------------------

Third period had ended, and to Sour's surprise, Sour Side had remained silent for longer than normal.

You rang? asked Sour Side.

Sour Sweet slapped the palm of her hand to her forehead and dragged it all the way down to her chin. She sighed, then rolled her eyes. "Moving on!" she muttered under her breath. She walked the halls until she reached her next class.

----------------------------------------------

Fourth period had ended, and Sour was struck with an empty feeling. She sighed, then winced again as those words echoed in her mind.

"Aww, that's sweet of you! But you're not my type!"

She sniffled a little, then calmed herself down. Hopefully next period will keep me occupied. she thought as she entered her fifth period class.

----------------------------------------------

It was lunchtime. Sour Sweet always preferred to keep to herself during this period. If anyone came so much as a foot near her, she'd give them a death glare they'd never forget!

Just you and me, Sour. Just you and me. Sour Side thought.

Oh, shut up. I know you can't leave me be, but can you at least be quiet or something? Sour Sweet thought as she rolled her eyes.

So be it. Sour Side thought.

Not risking a 'thank you' in case Sour Side would return, Sour Sweet gave a nod of satisfaction and ate her lunch alone.

By the time lunch had ended, Sour Sweet saw Lemon Zest. She owes me for fucking up during gym! Sour followed Lemon until she had a chance to speak with her. "Hey, Lemon." she said.

"Hey Sour." said Lemon.

"I just wanted to thank you for playing on my team during gym...Until you completely screwed it up!" said Sour.

Lemon Zest clenched her hands into fists, then looked Sour Sweet straight in the eyes. "You know what?" she said, "Maybe you screwed it up and don't have the balls to admit it!" she said as she put her pointer finger right in Sour's face. "I know saying it makes me a hypocrite, but would it actually kill one of us to not throw each other under a bus every goddamn time we get the chance?!" She fumed. "I am getting so sick of this 'every person for themselves' herd mentality. But you want to know what the worst part of this is?" she said, her voice cracking.

Sour Sweet stared at Lemon Zest, shock on her face.

"The worst part" continued Lemon Zest, unaware of the tears that were falling from her eyes. "is that even though I'm justifiably pissed off, I'll eventually fall right back into the whole 'herd mentality' and it'll be me against the world unless fate is so kind enough to have me on a team so that when they fuck up, I'm the lucky one to throw them under the goddamn bus!" she collapsed and burst into tears, sobbing in the middle of the hallway.

Sour Sweet backed away slowly, leaving Lemon Zest to deal with her emotions on her own.