• Published 9th Jun 2018
  • 1,317 Views, 163 Comments

Before the Friendship Games: Sour Sweet - CapNTilfy



Sour Sweet has been miserable for as long as she can remember. Little does she know what lies ahead for her... Book Three of the Crystal Prep Chronicles: Before the Friendship Games

  • ...
1
 163
 1,317

Struggle

After calming down from the aftermath of the fight, Sour Sweet sighed heavily as she hugged herself and settled into a corner of her house. She felt frustrated with herself, refusing the help of a kind stranger in the heat of the moment. Her pride wouldn't allow her to walk back to the woman, and knowing that made it hurt all the more.

"I miss physical contact." Sour said as she sniffled. "I haven't felt a hug from another person in so long." She leaned against the corner as she slid down, burying her face in her hands. "I see people around me all happy and fulfilled...and here I am, stuck in an empty house thanks to the 'generosity' of those people," Sour spat out the last two words of her sentence. "I'm always alone, and I always force myself away from other people who just want to be nice."

Sour got up, and walked around the empty house. "They always tell me I should be grateful that I have this house. That without them, I'd have nothing." An unbidden memory surfaced in Sour Sweet's mind.

"Who needs a bed when you can just sleep on the floor?" said Blueberry Dazzle.

Sour Sweet shut her eyes tightly, feeling the tears threatening their return.

"You're going to have to pay extra for all the holes you've been making!" said Cinnamon Flash.

Sour Sweet kept her eyes shut, taking in the sounds of nature in an effort to calm herself down. She heard children laughing in the background and sighed. "What I wouldn't give right now for someone to tell me everything's going to be okay. That this will all be behind me someday." She sniffled. "To give me a hug and gently stroke my hair, saying that they've got my back." Her voice cracked.

I so desperately wish I could calm you down like that. Thought Sour Side.

"I know. Me too." Sour Sweet said, holding back the tears she knew were coming. "I wish I could just burn this goddamn house down just to spite those two, but I know that wouldn't end well for anyone." She sniffled again. "I just feel so powerless! Nothing I do will ever please them!" Sour Sweet let her tears free. All of the sadness and anger she felt from her situation was released as she convulsed with emotion. "I can't take this anymore, Sour Side." she said between sobs. "I just want to end it all."

You don't really mean that. Thought Sour Side.

"Don't I? We both know what I feel at all times, so you must be trying to convince yourself that I'm not serious about this." Sour Sweet said as she got up. "It's a win-win situation. I die, and they can't hurt me anymore. I'll be free and nobody will miss me."

I would miss- Sour Side thought before being cut off.

"You're part of me, of course you'd say that!" Shouted Sour Sweet. "That's the same as saying I'd miss me." her voice lowered to a near whisper. "At this point, I doubt that." she said as she walked to the kitchen.

Think about what you're doing! Sour Side thought.

Sour Sweet sighed. "I already have." she said as she picked up a knife she left laying on the counter. She stared at it, seeing her reflection in it. Tears were still streaming down her face as her eyes were red and puffy. A painful memory surfaced in her mind.

---------------------------------------------

"Sour Side is real!" Shouted Sour Sweet.

Cinnamon Flash scowled at Sour Sweet. "Don't you dare talk to me like that!" He yelled back, shoving his pointer finger into her face. "Just for that outburst, I'm increasing your rent!"

Sour Sweet's eyes widened. "You can't do that!" she said, furious. Blueberry Dazzle slapped her hard, causing her to tumble to the floor.

"We're in charge here. We control the rent, the house and the rules. Ergo...we control you." Said Blueberry, grinning wickedly.

"You should be grateful we're letting you stay here." said Cinnamon. "If wasn't for our generosity, you'd be homeless right now!"

"But-" Sour raised a finger before she was cut off.

"I don't want to hear it!" shouted Cinnamon. "If either of us hears another word against us, even a tone of voice we don't like, we will kick you to the curb. Are we clear on the matter?" Cinnamon's face was bright red from anger.

Sour Sweet stayed frozen in place for a moment. "Yes...sir." she said, lowering her head so the couple wouldn't see her cry.

"Good." Cinnamon said, calming down. "We expect the rent within the week. And honey?" he said to Blueberry as she looked at him. "Try not to lose the rent this time." he said with a knowing wink. The door was slammed shut and Sour Sweet burst into tears, bawling uncontrollably until she fell asleep from exhaustion.

---------------------------------------------

Sour Sweet held the knife in her hands, the sharp end pointed at her heart. Sweat was pouring off of her forehead as she tightened her grip to ensure it wouldn't fall out of her hands. Clenching her teeth, she tensed up her muscles and was about to thrust the knife into her body when she shouted "STOP!"

What? I didn't say that. Thought Sour Sweet.

"You didn't. I did." said Sour Side.

What? How? Thought Sour Sweet.

Sour Side let go of the knife and let it drop to the floor. "I don't understand it either, but right now, that's not important! Don't be a dumbass, Sour Sweet! Nothing's worth killing yourself over!"

Is it? Thought Sour Sweet.

Sour Side rolled her eyes and heaved an exasperated sigh. "Oh, for fuck's sake, girl! I told you once before: you need to make a friend! You saw how Twilight and Lemon helped each other out back there! You could be a part of that! You wouldn't be so lonely."

You're right. Thought Sour Sweet. You're always right.

"I know." Said Sour Side as she smiled. She blinked, then Sour Sweet collapsed on the floor, sobbing uncontrollably until she fell asleep from exhaustion.

Author's Note:

For any of you wondering why the scene in this chapter is different from the one depicted by Sour Sweet herself, that will be explained. I just wanted to avoid confusion before it hit the comments section.