• Published 8th Jun 2018
  • 5,695 Views, 183 Comments

From a Mirror to Canterlot High - mattchilly



Being a fan of Legend of Zelda I was ecstatic when my younger brother Mike knowing this got me a copy of Hyrule Warriors Legends from a garage sale and now I'm a teenage version of Midna, but hey at least I'm not cursed.

  • ...
16
 183
 5,695

Chapter 5.5: The Fall Formal Dance

—With Fluttershy, a few minutes after slapping Rainbow—

After slapping Rainbow, Fluttershy had found a quiet and hidden place to sit and think. Despite what she said, she could see Rainbow’s point, but seeing how scared Midna was… how hurt she was after what Rainbow said. Fluttershy just had to push her doubts to the side to try to help. At least that’s what told herself, but in truth, slapping Rainbow, her best friend, came out of nowhere.

Why… Why did I slap her?” Fluttershy thought, looking at the hand she slapped Rainbow with, “I know finding out about Midna brought out a lot of emotions... but still-

“Little Flutters? Are you alright?” asked a female voice, interrupting her thoughts.

Looking up Fluttershy saw a small white rabbit, looking at her with a tilted head, as she stated, “I’m alright N… Angel.”

“You don’t look alright Flutters,” Angel said, her voice was light with a slight musical ‘tinkle’ to it. Hopping over, Angel leaned her head against Fluttershy’s leg, “Did you have an argument with your friends?”

Scooping up Angel into a hug, Fluttershy’s tears slowly crawled down her face and fell on Angel’s fur, “Midna showed us that she’s really a member of the Twili and Rainbow… Rainbow didn’t take it well and I… I slapped her. I don’t even know why I did it.”

Angel pushed herself closer to Fluttershy, “It’s just that with everything you told me about Hyrule, I knew that couldn't have been easy for her… but even so, it still hurts that she kept it from us. I know she has her reasons and I doubt she told us all of them, but… it still hurts.”

“And where’s Midna now?” Angel asked.

“She and Sunset went through a portal to go to Sunset’s home world of Equestria. That’s another thing that’s bothering me, why is Midna’s reveal more painful then Sunset’s?” Fluttershy asked, not expecting to get a real answer from her oldest friend, “Is it because Sunset had more time to explain why didn’t tell us? More time to tell us about why she came through the portal?”

“Can’t say I know Flutters,” Angel said, raising a paw to wipe away some of Fluttershy’s tears, “While I might not have alway been a bunny I’ve been with your family since your Great-Grandmother found me when she was a child, and as she helped me recover from my wounds I told her all about Hyrule and in return she wouldn’t tell anyone where I came from.”

“I can tell you that you’ve got her spirit and I see so much of her in you. You’re just as kind and gentle, but with an inner fire and strength that makes your defend those close to you with the passion of a Gerudo Warrior, and I’m not sure how I can help other than being here.”

After another few minutes Fluttershy’s tears stopped and she said, “Thank you Angel.”

“Not a problem Flutters,” Angel said, then pointed back to the school, “now come on, you’ve got a dance to get ready for.”

—Same time, with Rainbow—

Damn it! How could I be so stupid?” Rainbow thought as she slammed her fist into a nearby wall, “Who knows how long Midna was building up the courage to tell us, and I go and make her fears a reality! Some friend I am.

“Is something troubling you Miss Dash?” Turning around, Rainbow saw Vice-Principal Luna standing behind her with a small smile, “If there is, then I don’t mind giving what advice I can.”

“I… I messed up,” Rainbow said, not looking Luna in the face, “Midna and Sunset revealed a couple of big secrets to us and… I just showed Midna why she shouldn’t have done that, despite seeing how hard it was for her.” Rainbow wiped her eyes, trying to fight back her tears, “We’ve been friends since we first started going to Canterlot High and now… I just destroyed our friendship.”

“I highly doubt that Miss Dash,” Luna replied, walking forward and gently placing a hand on Rainbow’s shoulder, “I’ve seen many friendships be created and broken during my time here and I’ve never seen one as strong as the one you and your friends have. I suggest apologizing once you’ve all calmed down, perhaps after the Fall Formal?”

Rainbow looked away, “Midna and Sunset… won’t be attending the Formal. Something else came up which is why Midna had to tell us her secret.”

Vice-Principal Luna’s smile faltered for a split second but Rainbow didn’t notice, “Oh… well don’t give up. I truly believe that you can fix your mistake.”

“You really think so?” Rainbow asked, turning to look Luna in the face.

“I know so,” Luna replied.

“Thank’s Vice-Principal Luna, this talk really helped,” Rainbow said before walking away to look for her friends.

Luna watched her leave, a small frown on her face. Sighing Luna turned and walked to the school’s parking lot. She really needed to unwind after working so hard to get the Fall Formal ready, but her thoughts just wouldn’t stop replaying the scene she witnessed in front of the school’s statue and now the conversation she just had with Rainbow.

As Luna got into her car, she thought, “I know they had a small argument, but this is worse than I thought. I really hope I’m right and Rainbow can undo the damage she’s done, if not, then who knows what kind of consequences this could have.”

—Same time, with the rest of the girls—

Rarity, Pinkie, and Applejack were in the Sewing Club's room as they put on their new dresses in silence.

Eventually, Pinkie said, “So… Midna is a from another Realm, not sure how to fully process that.”

“I know what you mean darling,” Rarity sighed, “I’m conflicted because both Rainbow and Fluttershy had a point. Midna had her reasons for not wanting to tell us, but to find out like this… I just don’t know what to think about this.”

Applejack put on the hat Rarity had altered, which looked a lot like her normal cowboy hat only it had a large green line on it and a large red flower on the front, “As much as I’d hate to say it girls, but right now we can’t figure out what to do. Midna kept this a secret yes, but all things considered there’s still a lot we don’t know. I suggest we try to calm down, have fun at the Fall Formal and talk to Midna and Sunset when they get back.”

Now fully in their new dresses Rarity, and Pinkie looked at Applejack and slowly nodded, “Yeah… your right,” Rarity sighed.

“Come on… we should find Fluttershy and Rainbow,” Pinkie said, though it was obvious she wasn’t sure if she wanted to see Rainbow right now.

“We may not want to see Rainbow right now, but at the same time we can’t ignore her,” Applejack said, “Ignoring her wouldn’t help anyone and just make things worse.”

“How’d you get to be so mature Applejack?” Rarity asked, “I know helping to raise Sweetie Belle had a similar effect on me but sometimes it’s hard to believe we’re the same age.”

Applejack shrugged, “I guess it’s because I was the one mostly responsible for Applebloom growing up. Granny and Big Mac did what they could, but considering how much work was put on them when Mom and Dad died, I had to step up until she was old enough to help on the farm.”

“That must have been hard,” Pinkie said with a melancholy smile, “I remember when the Twins were born and how difficult it was to just baby sit once a month, but if I had to raise them? I don’t think I’d be able to do that.”

“Yeah it wasn’t easy, now let’s go find our friends,” Applejack said, walking out of the room with Pinkie and Rarity fallowing.

—At the Fall Formal—

Fluttershy and the others stood to one side of the gym simple trying to enjoy the atmosphere, but everyone who saw them could tell that something had happened as Fluttershy was standing away from Rainbow. As the party continued, Pinkie noticed something, “Hey girls have any of you noticed that Trixie’s not here?”

Upon looking around, the group realized that Pinkie was right, “You’re right Pinkie,” Fluttershy said, “I wonder where she is. I mean she was so adamant about become the Fall Formal Princess. I wonder what happened.”

“Hasn’t she been looking more raged the past few days?” Rarity asked, “Perhaps that finally caught up to her and she just had to get some sleep tonight.”

“Perhaps,” Rainbow said, “Then again why should we care? Trixie’s been the biggest bitch in the school since the semester started and it’s not like we were ever close to her to begin with.”

“Now Rainbow, while Trixie hasn’t been the best that doesn’t mean we should ignore her when something is obviously wrong,” Rarity scolded.

“I guess,” Rainbow sighed.

After a while Principal Celestia walked on stage to announce the who won the crown and became the Princess of the Fall Forma. As she opened the envelope Celestia said, “And the winner is… Tree Hugger!”

“HUH?!” All of Fluttershy’s friends yelled as Tree Hugger walked onto the stage. Her light red hair was neatly brushed and flowed down her back like water. Her forest green dress was draped over left shoulder and tied around her right arm showing off a little skin, her dress ended about four inches above her ankles which gave her plenty of room to walk around and on her feet she wore emerald green low heels. All in all a very different look than the one Tree Hugger normally had.

“That… that dress is amazing!” Rarity gasped, “It fits her perfectly… who on earth made it?”

“I don’t know but who ever it was is just as good as you if not better,” Applejack admitted, “Do you know who made it Pinkie?”

“Nope,” Pinkie admitted, “but now I’m wondering if whoever made it could make something like that for the seven of us.”

“...yeah,” Rainbow said now looking at the floor, “Not sure how I’m going to apologize to Midna though.”

“I’m sure you’ll think of something RD,” Applejack said patting her friend on the back, “I highly doubt one fight will end our friendship. Even one like this.”

“I guess,” Rainbow sighed, “Do you have any ideas who made that for Tree Hugger, Shy?”

“Oh it was her cousin Coco Pommel,” Fluttershy said, “She’s like Lemon and won entry into Crystal Prep last year, but from what little I hear she hates it there.”

“Not surprising,” Pinkie said a large frown on her face, “I’ve heard a lot of rumors about that place and all of them are pretty bad.”

As the group talked amongst themselves Tree Hugger walked up to Principal Celestia who placed a tiara with a six pointed purple crystal star on her head. Taking the mic Tree Hugger said, “Thank you everyone for this honor. Now let’s get back to having some fun!”

As Tree Hugger walked off stage many people were surprised by her ‘speech’ but quickly shrugged it off as more music began to play and the dance floor was quickly filled. While Sunset and Midna couldn't be there and Trixie was nowhere to be seen, the Fall Formal was still pretty fun for their friends which is all any of the could have asked for. They just hoped Midna and Sunset were ok.

Author's Note:

Hi everyone. bit of a short chapter here but I'm having a bit of trouble with the next part of Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. I know what I want to happen it's just finding the right way to get there. I don't know if I'll have it out by the end of the month but I hope I do. but if I don't then I hope you all enjoy a Marry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah or a Delightful Kwanzaa. And if you don't celebrate a Holiday *or one I didn't mention* then I still hope you have a great time!