• Published 8th Jun 2018
  • 5,684 Views, 183 Comments

From a Mirror to Canterlot High - mattchilly



Being a fan of Legend of Zelda I was ecstatic when my younger brother Mike knowing this got me a copy of Hyrule Warriors Legends from a garage sale and now I'm a teenage version of Midna, but hey at least I'm not cursed.

  • ...
16
 183
 5,684

Chapter 1: It's fun to tease Sunset [Edited]

*BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!*

Groans could be heard from the bed as the alarm blared and a light blue hand reached out from under the covers and searched from the alarm.

“Why does the morning always have to come so early?” a female voice from under the covers asked, to no one in particular, grouchily.

*Bang. Bang. Bang.*

And there was the roommate knocking on the door.

“Yo, you awake yet?” asked another female voice, sounding much more awake than the one in bed.

The blue hand hit the snooze button on the clock, while another hand pushed against the bed covers, as a light blue head with long bright orange hair and bright red eyes turned towards the door.

“I am now,” she stated, obviously annoyed at her roommate.

The door opened and an orange skinned head with red and yellow hair and cyan eye poked into the room.

“Morning Midna,” her roommate stated, “breakfast will be ready soon… also, you should stop sleeping in the nude, winter’s going to be here next month, you know.”

“Morning Sunset,” Midna yawned, “and thanks for letting me know about breakfast.”

Suddenly, an impish smile crossed Midna’s lips as she asked, “Also how did you know I was sleeping nude? Did you decide to take a quick peek while I was still asleep?”

A large blush spread over Sunset’s face, “I don’t know if you’re being serious or just messing with me…. and that scares me.”

“That’s the fun part, you’ll never know,” Midna said as she chuckled and sat up to stretch, making Sunset’s blush deepen as she made a quick retreat.

Snickering to herself Midna got up to take her morning shower. Once that was done Midna walked downstairs to the kitchen, wearing a light green shirt under a black vest and a pair of jeans with the symbol of a white sphere with light blue lines creating an odd pattern and light green sneakers. Her orange hair styled so it framed her face with two long tails going down the neck only to be tied together by a bronze brooch.

Walking into the kitchen Midna saw that Sunset’s now wearing an orange shirt with a red and yellow sun, a black vest with small yellow spikes, a purple skirt and black boots.

“So what’s for breakfast Shimmy,” Midna asked, sitting at the dining table with enough room for about four or six people at most.

“Sunny side up eggs with biscuits, bacon, and apple juice,” Sunset stated, placing the plates on the table before turning to grab the two cups of juice, unaware of another impish grin on Midna’s face.

“The food looks delicious Shimmy, kinda like you~,” Midna said in a sing-song kind of voice, moments before Sunset grabbed the cups. Sunset stiffened for a moment before whipping around.

“Would you stop doing that?!” Sunset yelled, but her only response was Midna’s laughter, “Do you know how difficult it is trying to figure out if you’re just messing with me? And you do this every, single, day! It’s seriously throwing me off!”

Calming down, Midna picked up her fork, saying, “Alright, alright, I’ll cut back with the teasing.”

After a few minutes of silence, Sunset asked, “Are you planning on telling the others who you really are anytime soon?”

Midna sighed and put her fork and knife on the plate.

“No,” she answered sternly, yet in a sad tone, “the fewer people know who and what I really am, the better. Come on Shimmy, what do you think is gonna happen when they learn that not only am I the Twilight Princess, but I was also once a dude who got turned into Midna because my bro gave me a copy of ‘Hyrule Warriors Legends’, and can’t even remember my original name?”

“I doubt it’ll be that bad,” Sunset said, trying to comfort Midna, “I mean, I’m a Unicorn from the other side of a magical mirror, who’s only here because, I was on an ego trip from being Celestia’s prized pupil. I’ll tell them where I came from if that helps.”

Raising an eyebrow, Midna spoke as she began counting on her fingers, “One you didn’t change genders. Two, we both know that Rarity is going to drill us for fashion about our worlds and all I’ll be able to say is ‘it’s not that different to here other than few people had a personal symbol that they always had on them.’ And three, what about the fact that I’ve been using an illusion to make myself look human this entire time? You know stuff like hiding my natural eye color and anything else that makes me stand out isn’t easy. That’ll basically be me saying ‘I don’t trust them!’”

Sunset flinched at the last one, “Yeah… I see where you’re coming from, but they’re gonna find out sooner or later,” she stated, rubbing the back of her neck.

“I know,” Midna agreed with a sigh, “but how in Din’s Fire am I supposed to tell them? ‘Oh hey girls, turns out I was once a man and got turned into a teenage version of Midna, whom is not only a member of a race from another dimension called the Twili, but i'm also their Princess.’ Yeah that’s something that’s easy to bring up.”

“Look at this this way Middy,” Sunset stated after having finished her food, “when you tell them, there’s a good chance they’ll take it as you trusting them enough to let them in on the secret.”

“Look, I’ll think about it, but I promise only to tell them if there’s an emergency where I have to, alright?” Midna said as she and Sunset moved to put the dishes in the sink.

“If that’s the best I’m gonna get right now, then I’ll take it,” Sunset said, shrugging.

“Oh, and can you, please keep the others away from the hill on the edge of the forest?” Midna asked in a tone suggesting a complaint, “I keep trying to train so I know how to actually fight, but every single time, you and the others trip my wards letting me know someone’s coming. All I’ve really been able to practice over the past year, is my magic. Not to mention, that I need to look for the missing pieces of the Fused Shadow, and I’m not going to risk them getting hurt.”

“Oh, is that’s what’s happening every time Pinkie says, ‘something exciting is going to happen’ there?” Sunset questioned, “I’ve been wondering why her Pinkie Sense was giving false alarms regarding that hill. I’ll do my best but no promises, now come on, we’re going to be late for school.”

Nodding, Midna snapped her fingers, casting her normal illusion on herself. While not much, it removed Midna’s ‘otherworldly’ feeling, as the yellow parts of her eyes turned white. Then, they grabbed their bags and headed out the door.

A few blocks away from the school Sunset asked, “So, apart from disguising your eyes, any reason you use an illusion spell and not contacts?”

Midna rolled her eyes, as she asked “Do you remember when we first met? How you said I had an ‘otherworldly’ feeling?”

Then Sunset nodded, saying, "Oh yeah, kinda forgot about that."

Rolling her eyes again, Midna explained, “Well, that's because you're used to it by now, but the point is, this spell is designed to hide that feeling, so I can walk around in the Realm of Light easier. I’m glad I got some knowledge on how Twili magic works when I was sent here. Heck, I'm lucky to be able to walk in the Realm of Light, considering the Twilight Realm is a Realm of Darkness. Otherwise. I’d probably be living in the Everfree forest just trying to learn the basics.”

Sunset gasped in mock horror, "Then, where would I be? Oh wait, I'd still have depression, have no friends, and be down one annoying, yet helpful roommate."

Midna smirked as she said, "Maybe, but who would have thought that the fastest way to make you lift your spirits was to show you I had magic by summoning a couple Twilight Wolfos and promise to help you get your magic back?"

Sunset gave a bark of laughter, "I swear, those wolves of yours are way to cuddly for their own good."

"And yet, they're my main allies when I'm an Imp," Midna stated, chuckling, "Just goes to show you that, even the cuddly wolves are still ferocious when they need to be."

"I bet Fluttershy would love to meet one of your Wolfos," Sunset said as the light for the next crosswalk turned red.

Midna shot a glance at Sunset, "Tell ya what, if it'll make you stop bringing it up, I'll make you a deal. I'll tell the others the truth, but on one condition."

Sunset looked at her friend and simply said, "Name it."

"The next time the portal to Equestria is open, we'll go through so you and your old mentor can talk, and I'll tell the others when we get back," Midna stated.

She was expecting a few different reactions, but the one that she wasn't expecting was the one Sunset gave her.

Sunset smirked as she nodded, "Deal."

"What?" Midna asked, dumbfounded as the light changed.

Grabbing Midna's arm, Sunset started walking, dragging her along, "I knew you'd come up with that kind of arrangement, so I promised myself that when you did, that I'd follow through," Sunset stated as she smirked over her shoulder, "And we're in luck, the portal's going to be open at the end of the month during the week of the Fall Formal."

Midna stared at Sunset as they reached the edge of Canterlot High School’s campus, before grumbling to herself something that sounded like, —"Should have seen this coming," making Sunset laugh.

—Lunch—

"Howdy y’all." Applejack said as she set her lunch trey down on the table, "Can't believe that Mr. Cranky gave us a pop quiz."

"Come on AJ," Sunset said, rolling her eyes, "it wasn't that bad."

"Says you," Rainbow said, "Question number twenty five was awful!" Just as Midna was about to say something, Rainbow pointed a finger at her, "You don't get to say anything either, miss 'I get straight A's in more than half my classes'. Face it, Mondays suck."

"That's an exaggeration," Midna said, rolling her eyes, "I only get straight A's in Math, Science, and English, everything else is a B- at best, and the only reason you don't like Mondays is, because it's the only day of the week where PE is the sport your worst at." ‘It's times like these that I'm really glad I'd got that high school degree,’ Midna thought to herself, ‘Makes redoing school so much easier.

"Oh? And which sport would that be?" Rainbow asked as she shot a small glare at Midna at this slander.

Seeing Rainbow's glare, Midna simply smirked as she said, "Simple, tennis."

"Those grades are still better then most of us, darling," Rarity sighed, trying to defuse the situation, but before she could continue someone standing behind Midna had spoke.

"Well look who's gloating about how much of a genius she is." Turning everyone saw a girl with white and light blue hair, purple eyes, a blue coat with light blue stars on the arms, a purple skirt that has a light blue hem with white stars, and the image of a small wand with a white star and blue dust like trail, and knee high boots.

"What do you want Trixie?" Rainbow asked, exasperated, with a scowl on her face.

"Only to tell your friends here not to bother running for Fall Formal Princess, because I will be taking the crown!" Trixie said, glaring at Midna and Sunset.

"That's fine, I wasn't planning on running this year," Midna said, with a shrug, "What about you Shimmy?"

"Nope," Sunset said with a smirk, "winning that crown isn't even a blip on my radar."

“Wha..." Trixie's eyes went wide until she shook her head and turned to walk away, "I mean… good, Trixie didn't need the competition anyway."

"...She needs to get laid, that much stress isn't good for her," Pinkie deadpanned as she turned to her friends, once Trixie left.

"PINKIE!" Rarity cried, aghast at her friend's statement, as a large blush spread over Fluttershy's face, while Midna, Rainbow and Sunset snickered.

"I'm afraid I have to agree with Pinkie here," Applejack said, lowering her hat, "Maybe not the way she put it, but Trixie's been more aggressive than usual."

"What do you think could be causing it?" Fluttershy asked.

"Who knows," Rainbow said with a shrug.

"Well, it's hardly our problem," Rarity said as the bell rang, "Well, I'll see you all later… oh! And Midna?"

"Yeah?" Midna asked arching an eyebrow.

"You're not getting out of getting a dress this time, dear," Rarity replied with a smirk, making Midna pale a little.

As Rarity walked away, Sunset patted Midna on the back, "Well… it's been nice knowing you."

"Damn it Shimmy, I'm not suffering that torture alone," Midna muttered, just before an impish grin spread across her face as a thought entered her head, "Well now, THAT'S a plan."

As Midna walked to class she chuckled to herself, knowing that if Sunset was going to 'sacrifice' her to Rarity's over eagerness for the 'perfect' dress, then Midna would both follow Sunset's request from this morning and get a little revenge at the same time.

Unfortunately, at the back of her mind, something Trixie had said stuck.

—After School—

After heading home to change into their uniforms for work, Sunset and Midna walked towards the mall for their jobs.

About half way there, Midna sighed and said, "Hey Shimmy, I don't lord over you and the rest with my grades or anything, do I?"

"Middy, you hardly EVER mention your grades, so please don't let what Trixie said get to you," Sunset stated, patting Midna on the back, "She's just upset that she not at the top of the class."

"Thank's Shimmy," Midna said with a small smile.

—At the Mall—

"Hey Boss," Sunset said as the two entered their workplace, The Sushi Soldier.

Their boss's name is Fisher Fillet, he's a tall grizzled bald man with charcoal black grey beard, a piercing silver left eye, while the other was a milky white. He wore a white shirt, the branches of a sakura tree reaching around from the back.

A small smile appeared on his face when he saw the two, "Glad you're here. Bluegill and Merlin had ta leave early for a family emergency. So, head to the back, grab your notepads and head over ta booths 5 and 10."

"Got it Boss," Midna said as the two went to the back and reappeared a few minutes later.

As Midna went to booth 10 two men entered the restaurant. Both wore red plaid shirts and blue jeans, they even looked identical with the exception that one had shaggy black hair and a beard while the other had neatly combed red hair and no facial hair.

Oh great, them again,’ Midna thought irritably.

"OI! I thought I told ya not to come back!" Fisher growled, moving around the register.

"Did you? Hm, I can't quite recall. What about you brother?" The redheaded man said.

The dark haired man grinned, "Nope, the old fool must be going senile. So, is one of your waitresses going to show us to a table?"

Turning her head, Midna nodded at Sunset, who quickly went to help Fisher just in case, while Midna went back to call the mall's security. ‘I hope those two learn their lesson this time, they've been pulling enough crap in this store to last a lifetime,’ Midna's thoughts were interrupted by Sunset's unexpected roar of rage.

"Hello, Mall Security," stated a male voice over the work phone.

"We've got a couple men causing trouble at the Sushi Soldier-" More yells of rage this time mixed with embarrassment from Sunset and a roar of pure fury from Fisher are heard, "... and can you get here quickly? I think one just sexually assaulted my co-worker, so you might need to bring a medic for him as well."

Luckily, for the twins, security arrived quickly, the two men were arrested and taken away, soon things at the restaurant returned to normal. As Midna once again headed to booth ten, she noticed one of the regulars, Polar Claw, or 'Grammy' as she preferred, pat Sunset on the arm.

"Oh you poor dear, are you alright?" Grammy asked.

Sunset smiled at the old woman who has snow white hair, and was wearing a light purple shirt under her snowflake patterned jacket, "I'm fine, Grammy, I'm just glad that those two aren't going to be a problem anymore."

"Well, just remember what Grammy taught you dear," Grammy said and, with a grin, she and Sunset spoke at the same time:

"Next time men give you trouble, show them that we're not pushovers. Use your brains, as well as brawn. And if all else fails, kick them where the sun don't shine."

Shaking her head, Sunset chuckled, "Don't worry Grammy, I remember, now, what can I get you?"

—Two days later—

With no work today and her homework finished, Midna decided to try to get some training done. Walking into the living room, Midna saw Sunset relaxing on the couch, playing Monster Hunter World on their PS4.

"I'm gonna head out and try to get some training in,” Midna stated, then, with a small smile asked, “Think you can get the girls to come over and distract them?"

Sunset, who was currently going over her character’s new armor, nodded and grabbed her phone, "Sure, I think a the idea of a group study session, with the promises of Mario Party and pizza, should be good enough to get them all here."

"Damn, now I'm tempted to stay, simply playing Mario Party to mess with everyone is always fun," Midna said with her impish grin.

"And that is why we don't play it that often," Sunset said, rolling her eyes.

Midna shrugged, "Still, it's amazing that so many of the games between this world and the one I come from are the same, see ya later Shimmy!" With that Midna's body started to turn into black and dark yellow squares starting from the head and working it's way down which shot into the ceiling and disappeared.

Sunset shivered, "That form of teleportation cannot be a pleasant experience."

Just then her cell dinged, signaling it got a message.

Looking at the message, Sunset smirked and told herself, "Well, at least the distraction is working, time to order that pizza."

—At the hill just outside the Everfree Forest.—

When Midna reformed, she was holding a large stone mirror in her hands. When she let go, instead of falling, the mirror floated up, and took its place next to her right shoulder.

Rolling her neck Midna took a deep breath, "Alright let's get those wards back online and get started."

Putting her hand on the ground, Midna send a burst of magic into the hill, making light blue lines making a similar pattern to the picture of the orb on her pants appear spreading down the hill at a rapid pace before spreading out to the surrounding area before fading away as if they’d never appeared.

Waiting for a moment, Midna smiled and nodded as she thought, ‘Good, nothing's changed since I last activated it. So, I'll have a five minute head start if someone's headed this way.’

Standing up, Midna took a deep breath before swiping her left hand to the side, as if brushing something away. As she did, her mirror reacted, summoning a large stone hand which copied her movements, even if it was a little sluggish and wobbled in the air as if it was about to fall to the ground. As Midna continued to practice, her movement's slowly became more fluid as she got lost in the motions, her control over the hand slowly improving. By the time she finished a few hours later, when the sun was starting to set, the hand, while still sluggish, no longer wobbled in the air. Smiling to herself, Midna deactivated the wards, put away her mirror, and teleported to a small, unused ally near her home, glad she'd finally gotten a decent training session. Looking up at the sky Midna smiled, thinking that, maybe telling the others at the end of the month wouldn't be too bad, but only time will tell.

Author's Note:

I've been wanting to do a story where the MC is female for a while but didn't know who to pic. Then a while ago the idea of having a LoZ displaced appeared. At first I thought about using Link but quickly put that aside. Then Gannondorf appeared and I'm still playing with that idea so you never know. I might do one with him later. Finally Midna came up and because she's my favorite of Link's sidekicks I got to work getting fleshing out the idea and now we have this. As with everything I hope you all enjoy the story.

Edit: I have no idea why there's a large part that italic, and nothing I do seems to fix it. Sorry about that.

Mirror of Shadows

the stone hand