• Published 8th Jun 2018
  • 5,695 Views, 183 Comments

From a Mirror to Canterlot High - mattchilly



Being a fan of Legend of Zelda I was ecstatic when my younger brother Mike knowing this got me a copy of Hyrule Warriors Legends from a garage sale and now I'm a teenage version of Midna, but hey at least I'm not cursed.

  • ...
16
 183
 5,695

Chapter 6: First Dungeon pt 2

Author's Note:

It's been a while but it's here! Part two of Midna's and Sunset's first Dungeon Dive! Here's hoping I can get pt 3 out soon.

After taking a couple minutes to settle down after finishing off the Shadow Lizalfos. Sunset had finished fastening her new shield to her left arm and found a thick rope that she used to tie her new sword to her belt, “Well despite it just being the Map at least we got some new gear.”

“Yeah,” Midna agreed with a small frown, “Too bad we don’t know how to use it and Link always had some time to get used to his new sword at the beginning of a game. We’re getting them inside the first dungeon!”

"That’s true,” Sunset said, “Though something similar happened in Link to the Past.”

“So we just try using them and if it doesn’t work go back to plan a?” Midna asked.

“Yup,” Sunset agreed, “Though You might wanna be in your true form for that. Don’t know how well your imp form can wield a sword.”

Minda gave Sunset an impish smirk, “Oh you just wanna see more of my pretty face, don’t deny it.”

Sunset rolled her eyes as Midna’s form was covered from head to toe in shadows which then stretched and grew until Midna once again stood in her true form. She wore a skin tight dark grey shirt, navy blue running pants, and brown hiking boots. Seeing the surprised look on Sunset’s face Minda shrugged, “When I saw that my Mirror was gone and panicked. Thanks to that, all I did was put on my boots after grabbing our bows.”

“Well let’s get that shield in place,” Sunset sighed, “We’ll have to work on getting sheaths for the swords later.”

“We should also look at the Map we just got,” Midna said, “Just in case it has something interesting to show us.”

Once the shield was in place and the two looked at the Map they saw that like in the games it had small panels that when touched acted like buttons, to changed which floor it showed. However two things caught Sunset’s attention. The first was that the Map already showed where all the treasure chests were, the second was that the school had a basement, “Well at least we don’t have to find the compass so that’s good…”

"Yeah,” Midna agreed with a small nod, “Never understood why they didn’t just combine the two to begin with, but damn that’s a deep basement. Did you know about that Shimmy?”

“Nope. Never knew the school had one… let alone one that’s three floors deep. I mean it’s twice the size of the school if I’m reading this correctly!” Shaking her head in disbelief Sunset sighed, “Well have to find our way to the bottom floor. That’s where the skull showing the boss room is.”

Going back up to the ground floor, Minda pointed at a room in the west wing, “That’s the only room that shows up on the first floor of the basement and the ground floor. That’s gotta be our way down.”

“Huh… I think that’s the old divination room,” Sunset said after a few moments “From what I remember it wasn’t being used when I was last here. Maybe they found a reason to use it again?”

Midna shrugged, “No idea but at least we have a goal in mind now… also you doing alright? This is the first time you’ve been in this kind of fight… I mean it’s my first time too but still.”

“Yeah… I’m doing alright. Kinda surprised that we haven’t been badly injured yet, all things considered, but we should still be cautious as we continue. Now let’s head to all the rooms nearby with chests to find the small keys,” Sunset said as Midna rolled up the Map, “Closest one would be the east wing’s teachers lounge. Though we need to go up stairs to get there.”

After having Midna’s shadow absorb the map for safe keeping the two made their way to the stairs and fought their way through more Shadow Bulblins and some Baba Serpents. The two used their new scimitars and while they did have some difficulty due to not really knowing their new weapons they got through relatively unharmed. Once they’d gotten the chest and key from the lounge they continued to explore getting two more keys and found three chests with a total of thirty five rupees. Once they got back to the entrance hall but when they tried to use one of the small keys on the west wing door they key wasn’t able to enter the padlock by an invisible barrier of magic.

“Of course it can’t be that easy,” Sunset huffed, “You’d think the first Zelda Dungeon wouldn’t have this kind of requirement. You think a Wizrobe is behind this?”

“Possibly,” Midna said, “Though if one is then we’ll be getting a free magical staff.”

“True… Kinda hope it's the Majora’s Mask version though. That way we get either a powerful Ice or Fire Rod” Sunset said, as the two quickly unlocked the north wing. As they explored the only thing of importance they found was a couple more small keys and some more Shadow Lizalfos who were guarding a black crystal that shattered once they died. Once they’d finished exploring the north wind they found that they were now able to unlock the west wing.

Once they cleared out the west wing of treasure they got to the divination room they found that the room had no windows and had more Shadow Bulblins quickly dispatched, Sunset scratched her head, “There’s that done. Now where’s the way down?”

Midna and Sunset quickly searched one side of the room before they piled all the furniture along that wall and under the teacher’s desk and the old rug underneath it they found an old trap door, “Huh… wonder if this was the real reason for this room being closed off.”

“No idea,” Midna replied, “But whatever it leads to… I think it will be the real part of this Dungeon.”


Meanwhile outside the Twilight, the Royal Guard had finished setting up around the school and had already fought off some club wielding monsters. Luna now stood worried about how Sunset and Midna were doing while Twilight had taken her friends to look through the Royal Library for any clues that might help.

“Luna…” Turning her head Luna saw Celestia had joined her.

“What is it Celestia? As you can tell I’ve got a situation on my hooves,” Luna replied, making Celestia flinch at how formal Luna was being.

“Lulu please…” Celestia started.

“Don’t you ‘Lulu’ me Celestia,” Luna said as she turned to glare at her sister, “You know exactly what it said and who else it meant. Yes we need to talk about this but now is not the time as you can see…” Just after Luna said this, a group of ten Shadow Bulblins materialized at the school gates and charged at guards, the two groups evenly matched. At least before Luna joined the battle and with her help. With her assistance the Bulbins were quickly overwhelmed and destroyed. Celestia said nothing as she turned and walked back to the castle, head down.


As Midna and Sunset climbed down the spiral stone staircase that was under the trapdoor, Sunset created a ball of light so they could see. At the bottom they found a room roughly the same size as the Divination Room, made of dark grey stone blocks, some cracked with age, some covered in a thin layer of moss, “By… Din,” Sunset said quietly and having to force herself to not say ‘By Celestia’, “How long has THIS place been down here?!”

“A really fucking long time,” Minda snarked, “But we’ve still got to find the ‘Mini-Boss’ before we find the one who stole my mirror.”

“And the odds of us getting out of here without a ‘Dungeon Boss’ is?” Sunset asked.

“At best… one point five percent and that’s being generous,” Midna said, “This is basically a Zelda Dungeon, we found the Map, found chests with keys, and cash… there’s going to be a boss. On the plus side we got a ton of backup weapons now, and we can sell the extras… though we’re going to need to find a teacher because as easy as a club is to use, I want to use one of the scimitars we got,” As Midna finished as she got a really creepy grin.

“... and suddenly I’m scared of you having anything sharp,” Sunset said, making Midna burst giggles.

So you are the ones who invade my sanctum,” A distorted voice echoed through the halls as the two reached the bottom of the stairs, “I… suppose I should welcome… welcome. Now what do you want?

“I want back what you stole!” Midna yelled looking around. The new area was made of black stone, with small glowing white crystals on the walls instead of torches. The area looked recently cleaned and Midna shook away the image of Shadow Bulblins scrubbing away dirt and grim, “You have no idea what you’re messing with!”

On the contrary! I know exactly what I have,” The voice replied, “A highly magical object, that is wasted on the likes of you. I don’t know how you knew about the portal but it doesn’t matter. I’ll be keeping an eye on you as you go through the rest of my sanctum. Good luck.”

“Great… a boss who’ll be watching us to see how we fight… you’d think that would happen towards the middle or end of the adventure but nooooo. We get it right out of the gate,” Sunset grumbled as she pulled out the map to find the closest unlocked room.

“Hey at least it’s happening this early on so it’s unlikely it’ll happen again,” Midna said, placing a hand on Sunset’s shoulder as the two started walking and Sunset put away the map, “Also we both know what’s most likely the cause of this…”

“Yup…” Sunset sighed as she held a hand up and blasted another group of club wielding enemies, “Good news, the more I use magic the more it gets in tune with this body so there’s a chance I’ll be able to use magic in the human world...”

“Bad news you’re running low right?” Midna guessed as she slashed at another Shadow Bulbin before dodging back to avoid it’s counter attack.

“Yup. Gonna have to stick with weapons for a while,” Sunset replied as she dodged a second Bulblin’s clumsy attacks, “Bow please.”

“One moment…” Midna replied before grabbing her target with her hair hand and crushing it with a grunt. That done she pulled Sunset’s bow and quiver out of her shadow and passed them to the fair haired girl, “Just be careful with that, I don’t want your arrow in my back.”

“Got it,” Sunset said as she slung the quiver over her back before passing her shield over to Midna who stored it in her shadow.


As the two continued through the dungeon, the situation outside the school had remained unchanged, “They’ve been in there for almost an hour!” Twilight said, worry evident in her voice, “Do you think they’re alright?”

“We can only hope,” Princess Luna sighed, “Nothing we’ve tried can get through this barrier, and yet those monsters can pass through with ease. I’ve never even seen this kind of magic.”

“A completely unknown kind of magic?” Twilight asked, fascinated.

“Not likely,” Luna replied, “It’s most likely the kind of magic that young Sunset’s friend uses. Midna I believe her name was. It is most likely the magic of the Twili.”

“I’ve never heard of the Twili before,” Twilight said as she rubbed her chin with a hoof.

“I would be surprised if you did. The only known records of them are… or were, kept in my sister’s and my old personal library at our old castle and even all we knew about them is they angered the Goddess somehow and were banished to a realm between ours, the Realm of Light, and it’s opposite, the Realm of Darkness. As such it’s known as the Realm of Twilight. I don't know how but young Midna is a member of the Twili who escaped the Realm of Twilight. I'll have to check to see if it's still there once this is over.”

“I wonder how,” Twilight said as she looked back at the barrier around her old school.

“If young Midna wishes to tell us then she shall,” Luna said, giving Twilight a hard look, “I feel that forcing the issue will not end well,” Twilight gulped as she remembered a few times where her love of knowledge had led her to do some… regrettable actions.


Back inside the dungeon, Sunset had Midna had found a place to sit and rest, “Glad we started exercising but man. This is a lot harder than it looks in the games…”

“Agreed,” Midna said, whipping some sweat off her forehead, “But I think we’re almost at the mini-boss.

“So we’ll have to be careful,” Sunset sighed as she checked her half empty quiver, “How many arrows do we have left?”

“I still have all my arrows, but since we don’t have arrows meant for combat, it's taking more arrows to bring down the enemies… though we did steal some of their quivers,” As Midna spoke she pulled one of the Shadow Bublin’s quivers out and handed it to Sunset who swapped it for her normal quiver, “We’ll have to find a way to get higher quality arrows…”

“Maybe Princess Luna could help,” Sunset suggested, “After what… My old teacher said, I don’t really want anything else to do with her.”

“Fair,” Midna said, not wanting to open that fresh wound any more than it already was, “On another note… I’m going to start keeping water and other supplies with me at all times form now on.”

“Good plan,” Sunset replied as she got to her feet, “Alright. Let’s get back to the grind and get your mirror back.”

After some more searching, finding bare rooms the two found their way into a large circular room, the walls being equal parts the same black stone as the rest of the second half of the dungeon, and large changes that Sunset thought could have held Manticores and Chimera’s easily in their prime. The center of the floor was an octagon, with four smaller octagons evenly spaced in a ring halfway between the center of the arena and the walls.

I’m not surprised you made it this far,” The Distorted voice said, “This old arena used to be where wild and dangerous beasts fought each other so Equestria could learn their various strengths and weaknesses though what you’re about to fight is a little different...” The four segments around the middle of the floor opened, with tall pillars with a ring of purple crystals at the top and base rising from the ground. Out of the center came a tall bipedal figure made grey rock, moss coating the creature like fur, it had two thick club like arms, and in one of them held a large metal hammer with the symbol of a three toed foot on each side in bronze, “This golem was brought out to put down the most powerful and dangerous beasts.”

“Hello mini boss…” Midna said as she examined the area, “You thinking what I’m thinking Shimmy?”

“Big tough golem and pillars around the room while none of our weapons have a chance of hurting it?” Sunset replied with a grin, “Step one pillars, step two golem… now scatter!” As the two scattered the Golem raised it’s hammer and charged before crashing it’s hammer down right where the two had been. The two continued to play chicken with the golem however they found that as long as it could ‘see’ the towers it couldn’t crash into them.

“Shimmy blind it on three!” Midna called as she stood in front of a pillar it’s crystals gleaming softly. The Golem charged, raising it’s hammer to crush Midna, “THREE!” Midna yelled as she dove out of the way as Sunset released a large flash of light blinding the Golem causing it to crash into the pillar knocking both the ground while the rock on the golems right arm broke away revealing dark purple crystal. As the Golem got up it’s crystal arm stayed limp, “Looks like each town is the focal point for controlling only part of the golem,” Midna said as she rolled to her feet, “That or the matrix controlling this guy breaks down in predetermined order.”

“Either way we’re about to end this!” Sunset replied, as the two moved into position the Golem charged faster than it had before and raised it’s hammer to squish Sunset before she could jump out of the way.

“Oh hell no!” Midna growled her eyes glowed dark blue while her hair shot out forming a hand, grabbing the end of the hammer. She and the Golem fought for control, sweat pouring down Midna’s face both from using her magic like this in human form, and the strain of holding back the Golem, “Why… don’t… you… just… LET GO!” Midna roared before wrenching the hammer to the side where it crashed to the ground.

Angered the Golem roared and charged at Midna who was tackled out of the way by Sunset and in it’s blind rage the Golem crashed into the pillar knocking it to the ground, and the stone coating around it’s left arm shattered, “Think this will…” Sunset started as she and Midna got to their feet.

“Don’t finish that,” Midna said wiping the sweat off her brow, “We don’t want to jinx anything…”

Raising to its feet, the Golem roared again it’s hammer shaking before it flew through the air and embedded itself into the right of arm the golem, the two remaining pillars glow growing as the light grey stone covering the Golem quickly grew replacing the covering on the arms and trapping the hammer in place, “I hate to say ‘I told you so’ but…”

“Oh shut up and let’s take care of the last two pillars,” Sunset growled, however the Golem returned to the center of the room and raised it’s hammer, and the pillars glow changed from purple to red and shot two beams at the hammer engulfing it in fire. Bringing the hammer down, it released a wave of fire making the two teens scramble to get out of the way.

“Well… shit,” Midna said before the Golem waved the hammer in the air three times before slamming it down sending three spheres of magic towards Midna who dove out of the way barely avoiding the attack.

“I thought Mini bosses in the first dungeon weren’t supposed to have changing patterns once they got to half health!” Midna yelled.

“I blame you!” Sunset replied, “I don’t know how, or why it’s your fault, but I blame you!”

As the Golem raised the hammer this time the pillars gained a yellow glow, “Electric attack incoming,” Midna said as the two dove behind the pillars moments before a ring of electricity shot out from the Hammer. When the Electricity reached the pillars the electricity was reabsorbed into the pillars while the rest of the ring continued on dissipating harmlessly on the walls.

“Any ideas?!” Sunset said from her hiding spot, the Golem staring at the pillars just waiting for them to make a move.

“I’m working on it!” Midna replied, “We now know the pillars will just reabsorb the elemental magic but what about the neutral magical orbs?”

“And how are we going to get it to shoot the orbs at the pillars?” Sunset replied.

“... did you bring a bug net?” Midna asked.

“WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT?!” Sunset yelled back.

“Remember Link to the Past?” Midna snarked, “I mean if you have a glass bottle that could work too.”

“... I really hate you right now,” Sunset replied.

“You try wrestling a really fucking heavy magic absorbing hammer out the arms of an old and powerful golem!” Midna snarked.

“Wait... that’s it!” Sunset said, her eyes growing wide.

“You want to try wrestling the hammer away?” Midna asked.

“Not that. The hammer absorbs magic. Why not see what your magic will do to the Golem?” Sunset exclaimed.

“This is the dumbest idea I’ve heard all day… but it’s not like I’ve got any other ideas,” Midna sighed. Taking a deep breath Midna jumped out from behind the pillar and launched her hair-hand at the hammer. Once she grabbed it the Golem tried to shake her off however it was unable to as the hand unraveled to get as firm grip as it could. Panting heavily Midna forced her magic into the golem through the hammer. Moments later the Golem froze before jerking its body in rapid movements, the sound of stone on stone coming from it, multi color sparks coming from both it and the pillars.

“Shit! It’s gonna blow!” Sunset yelled, turning the two ran for the walls and ducking into an open cage just before the golem and pillars exploded, filling the arena with smoke, flames and shards of stone, though the cage the two hid in along with their shields kept them relatively safe from the blast, small shards of stone did bounce off their leather jackets.

Once the smoke cleared the two looked out seeing that the only thing remaining in the arena was the hammer which surprisingly had shrunk down enough that either of them could… hopefully lift it, “Shimmy?”

“Yeah?” Sunset replied.

“Next time you ask me to force my magic into a golem through a magical hammer… I’m punching you in the face,” Minda replied as she sank to the ground exhausted.

“F...fair,” Sunset replied, equally exhausted but managing to find the strength to help Midna to her feet and drag her over to the hammer, “Now get this thing in your shadow so we don’t have to worry about anything else using it against us.”

After the hammer was absorbed into Midna’s Shadow the girl passed out, "Yeah… I think we could use a break," Sunset sighed as she dragged Midna over to the wall. She just hoped nothing would appear while they were resting.