• Published 8th Jun 2018
  • 5,695 Views, 183 Comments

From a Mirror to Canterlot High - mattchilly



Being a fan of Legend of Zelda I was ecstatic when my younger brother Mike knowing this got me a copy of Hyrule Warriors Legends from a garage sale and now I'm a teenage version of Midna, but hey at least I'm not cursed.

  • ...
16
 183
 5,695

Chapter 8: Displced? Why not just use Isekai?

Midna and Sunset left the portal, the school was quiet as the Fall Formal had ended a couple hours ago, “I am SO glad we don’t have school tomorrow,” Midna said, “All I want to do right now is go home, take a shower then fall in bed.”

“Same,” Sunset said before yawning, “Perhaps tomorrow we can hit the spa. We’re going to need it with how sore we’ll be.”

“Oh man, the spa sounds fantastic right now,” Midna replied as the two started the walk home. Once they got home they froze as they entered the house as there was a light on in the kitchen, “Another thief?” Midna whispered.

“Oh do come in girls,” A female voice called out, “We have to have a talk before you two head off to bed.”

Midna and Sunset looked at each other before making their way to the kitchen where they found a woman with shoulder length dark green hair, tanned skin, wearing an artic blue coat over an orange shirt with a grey wolf’s face surrounded by autumn leaves around it, blue jeans and white sneakers. Her eyes are sapphire blue and have a few bags under them as if she hadn’t slept in a couple days.

Sitting at the other side of the table from the woman, Midna said, “I don’t mean to sound rude but… who are you and why are you in our house?”

The woman grinned, “My name is Roxane and as of today I’m now your landlord, though that’s not the reason I’m here. The reason is I’m now the one in charge of your…” Roxane paused as if trying to figure out the right word, “... Case I suppose will work. You see the one who sent you here, retired and unlike some of my colleagues I like to get to know the Displaced I’m looking after.”

“... Displaced?” Sunset asked.

Roxane then gave a quick explanation about the surprisingly common phenomenon, “Many of my colleagues have the habit of just sending someone off and moving on. I on the other hand take much fewer cases as I am way more picky about who I Displace…” Roxane then pulled her sleeve back and checked her watch and sighed, “I’m sorry but I need to get going, but before that…'' Roxane then snapped her fingers and Midna and Sunset felt slightly rejuvenated, “That’ll make it so that you’re not ungodly sore tomorrow, and this…” Roxane then pulled a red crystal and a letter out of her pocket and placed it on the table, “Will help you contact someone to teach you how to fight. I’ll let him fill you in on how to make something like this. Any questions?”

“Do we get a reward for doing so well in the dungeon?” Midna snarked.

“Me healing you is the reward,” Roxane smirked, “Now that letter has everything you need to know about where to send the rent. Good night girls,” With a second snap of her fingers Roxane vanished.

“So… we’re not going to question that? Like at all?” Sunset asked, looking from the table to Midna.

“Too tired to question it. Just want my bed,” Midna replied as she got up, “All I can say is whether I'm sore or not I’m still going to hit the spa tomorrow.”

“Amen to that!” Sunset yawn, “G’night Midna.”

“Night Sunset,” Midna replied as left the kitchen. Once in her bedroom she put the Mirror of Shadows back in its proper place, then turned to her bed, sat down, took off her shoes before finally getting under the covers and instantly fell asleep. The next morning Midna sat up stretched and yawned before getting out of bed and getting ready for the day.

Upon reaching the kitchen she saw Sunset had already laid out a simple breakfast of eggs, a couple slices of fruit and a bowl of oatmeal and was sitting at the table eating her own food. The crystal Roxane left still sitting on the table, “Morning,” Midna yawned as she sat down.

“Morning,” Sunset replied, “Some night huh?”

“Do you mean telling our friends the truth, the dungeon or falling asleep the moment our heads hit the pillow?” Midna asked.

“Yes,” Sunset smirked.

“Smartass,” Midna chuckled. The rest of breakfast was in silence, both girls lost in thought.

“Oh I sent Fluttershy and Rarity notes saying we got your Mirror back and will most likely take today and the weekend to relax. Thank the Din that Principal Celestia gave us a three day weekend after the Fall Formal,” Sunset said.

“Still weird that her counterpart turned out so…” Midna said, trying to find a polite way to put it.

“Be such a bitch?” Sunset sighed bluntly, “Yeah… I know. I grew up admiring her, learning from her then…” Sunset scoffed, “No one ever said heroes didn’t have their flaws, and if they did then they never met Princess Celestia.”

“So what do you think this thing is?” Midna asked as she picked up the crystal Roxanne left.

“Maybe one of those Tokens…” Sunset started and as she said ‘Token’ the crystal lit up in crimson light blinding the two girls as they vanished leaving the dirty dishes on the table.


-Somewhere In Ponyville-

A sizable, three foot in diameter red orb shined brightly in the dark of a basement. A soft orange fire rose from the orb as it licked away the shadows of a stoney thirty foot wide and long haphazardly dug out room just shy of twenty feet in height, a single stone staircase with metal rails leading up to a set of four foot wide by four foot long set of wooden double doors. Somewhat obscured by the flickering darkness had been a sixteen foot tall and five foot wide dragon's skull, behind it had been the rest of it's remains woven into the form of a ten foot high, fifteen foot wide dome.

Sitting beside the shining orb had been a man no taller than five foot eight inches with brown skin, patches of brown scale on his cheeks with short, yet somewhat spiky brown hair and golden eyes that appeared to pierce the darkness. He sat cross legged wearing blue robes with a golden chain connecting the upturned collar with a book in his hands titled "Equestria: A History of Magic".

Humming quietly, his peace was disturbed by the sound of the entrance being thrown open, a young girl, five foot six inches in height with peach tone skin, golden blonde hair held in a two foot long side ponytail and tied with a red ribbon. Slit crimson eyes pierced through the dark as light shined from eight, three inch high bismuth colored prisms that hung from a pair of five foot long branches of wood shaped like a pair of wings, two inch metal plates covered the base of her wings as well as a pair of metal bands just an inch before the tip of said wings.

Yawning, the girl hovered her way deeper into the cavern as more of her form became visible… and it was painfully obvious that she wasn't fully clothed. Her only form of clothing had been stone plates adorning a short green skirt and a towel that thankfully covered her torso.

"Dumbass!" She called out, "I'm bored~ Let's do something not boring!" She whined as she put her head on his lap and looked at the man's book, "Ugh, why are you so boring?"

"Life isn't all blood, dismemberment and destruction, Veronica~" The man teased back as he closed his book and pet the girl's head, the irate blonde biting at his fingers before chewing on them. Of course, their peace was disrupted by a loud popping sound comparable to a balloon's rupture as a pair of young women fell before the pair.

"Finally, some excitement!" Veronica shouted with palpable annoyance which quickly grew to a sadistic grin… at least until she was pulled down by her skirt.

"Down girl, they could be friendly," The robed man replied as he took the orb, exerting his will upon it as the darkened room brightened to better reveal the pair.

“WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!” The blue skinned girl yelled as she got to her feet, “I swear if this is Roxanne’s idea as a joke I will find a way to get payback. Preferably with my hammer meeting her face!”

“Revenge planning later,” The red and yellow haired girl said, “We need to figure out where in Din’s name we are.”

"Equestria, you landed in Dumbass's basement," Veronica replied as she pointed at said 'Dumbass' before crossing her arms, "You going to give me a reason to let you live? I was in the middle of something," Though she sounded rather irate, it was quite obvious she wanted the pair to act just as antagonistic.

“I call bullshit,” the blue skinned woman said, crossing her arms with a raised eyebrow, “You look bored as fuck… and what’s with the cave girl look?”

"FIGHT ME!" Veronica shouted before once more being pulled back, the man behind her sighing as he stood up.

"That's my fault," The man said apologetically, "It was the first thing I gave her to wear after an… incident… and she doesn't wear much besides it."

"Don't act like you don't like it~" The blonde said with a teasing tone as she poked his face.

Clearing his throat, the man looked at the pair, "My name is Azure, and… though I'd rather not assume… your names are?" He seemed to ask as he gestured his right hand to the girls.

“Name’s Midna and this is Sunset,” Midna said with Sunset giving a small wave as she gained an imp like grin, “And I thought your name was Dumbass?” Sunset just sighed and rubbed the bridge of her nose.

Veronica slowly grinned, her sharp fangs glistening, "I like this one."

"Well, you did want something to happen," Azure pointed out, "This is about as something as we can get… and please… put on the rest of your armor…"

Veronica rolled her eyes before turning her back, whipping her towel off as a stone and cloth chest plate appeared on her person, covering the top half of her torso, her stomach and waist left bare as she turned back, "There, happy?"

"No, but we have guests," Azure said as he sighed, "Shall we move somewhere with better lighting?" He asked Sunset and Midna.

“Great. There’s two of her now,” Sunset muttered, “And yes please. We just finished with a giant dimly lit basement as our first ‘Zelda Dungeon’, so… kinda annoyed to be in one again.”

Nodding, Azure took his orb and shined it's light so as to illuminate their way out. Though he did stop for a few seconds, "Probably shouldn't have made this place so deep… can either of you fly?"

“I can in my Imp form but…” Midna shrugged, “Only about six maybe seven feet above the ground? Never really tried to see how high I can go.”

“Nope,” Sunset said, “Never learned that kind of spell.”

Azure hid an excited smile and turned away while humming in thought, "You have access to your imp form… well. I suppose we can do this one of two ways. We can both fly you up, Veronica carries Sunset and Midna, in her imp form, can hang off one of the belts on my robe."

“Nah. I have a better idea,” Midna smirked as she sank into the shadows.

“Now you only have to get me up there,” Sunset grinned, “Simple no?”

"That was so cool…" Azure whispered as he looked on in awe. Shaking his head, he motions to the blonde who only rolled her eyes.

"Why don't you carry her?" Veronica asked incredulously.

"Because I don't want any misunderstandings," Azure replied as he crossed his arms, the blonde sighing as she looked at Sunset.

"Alright, how do you want me to carry you?" She asked with an annoyed look. When Sunset shrugged Veronica just scooped the teen up into a bridal carry, “Don't complain about this later~"

Sunset gave Veronica a blank look before groaning, “This really is like having two Midna’s around.”

"Does Midna walk around commando as well?" Azure asked as a pair of six foot draconic wings unfurled from his back.

"Don't give her ideas," Sunset pleaded.

"Too late!" Midna snickered from the shadows.

"Hah! I really like her!" Veronica cheered as she flapped her "wings", the beat throwing her into the air as she flew up along the stairs, shortly followed by Azure.

Once outside, the group was met with a gentle breeze, a shining sun resting in the sky just before midday and a calming temperature. Surrounding them had been several rustling trees, a few looked frail and decayed while the rest seemed strong and lush, their leaves a very dark green. Behind them was a two story house that looked more like a rustic manse.

"Shall we go inside?" Azure asked as he gestured to the back door of the house.

Rising out of the ground Midna stretched, “Nice place. Wonder if our version of Equestria has an area like this.”

"Have you been to Ponyville?" Veronica asked, still carrying Sunset.

"Actually, that's a rather curious question," Azure muttered as he opened the door and ushered everyone inside, "What is your Equestria like?"

“All I’ve seen so far is a small bit of Canterlot and it’s castle,” Midna shrugged, “And most of that time was spent in… Celestia’s,” Midna spat out the the name as if it was one of the most foul things she’d ever tasted, “School since a unicorn named Moondancer somehow had a piece of the Fused Shadow and when the portal between Equestria and the Human World opened, and somehow got through the wards I set up around our house and stole my Mirror of Shadows.”

“I still call bullshit on that dungeon,” Sunset said, “An indestructible Golem as the Miniboss with a magic channeling hammer and the only way to take it down being to destroy it’s control spires? On top of Moondancer’s Twilit Arcane Weever form? If that was in a game it would at least be a Mid-Game dungeon.”

"Sounds like someone or some thing wants you both dead," Azure commented as he led everyone to a fairly spacious living room, Veronica sitting down on a couch… Sunset still in her arms, "Nica, please put her down…"

"Nah~" The blonde quickly replied with a smug face.

"Still, the way you mentioned her Royal pain in the ass…" Azure muttered before sighing, "We unfortunately don't have to deal with her… but we do hide in here from her and her prying eyes."

“She literally said and I quote ‘all beings of Darkness like you deserve to dwell within the Twilight Realm’,” Midna growled.

“Right in front of her sister,” Sunset added before slipping out of Veronica’s grasp to sit on a couch next to Midna, “And after that I can honestly say… I do NOT want Midna’s anger directed at me.”

"Nothing scarier than an angry eldritch being," Azure commented, "Not that that's a bad thing!" He shouted hurriedly.

“I’m more confused why you called me an eldritch being,” Midna laughed, “Plus I was in my Imp form when that happened.”

Azure chuckled a little, "Hey, I played Twilight Princess. That monstrous form Midna took when breaking the barrier on the castle is as Eldritch Horror as you can get."

"And I have no idea what you're talking about," Veronica commented, looking both bored and miffed.

“Don’t worry about it,” Midna said, “Though I do have one question before we get onto the more important stuff.”

"Shoot," Azure offered.

“Why is the term ‘Displaced’ used when it’s basically the same thing as an Isekai ?” Midna asked.

"The hell is an Isekai?" Azure asked in confusion, "Wait… what… year did this happen to you?"

“Twenty-nineteen,” Midna said, “And an Isekai is an anime trope when a normal person is teleported to a different world, sometimes in a different form, and always with at least one new ability… kinda surprised you don’t know it since it’s an old anime trope. Inuyasha is a very good example even though that’s just time travel, and while I may not like the story, Sword Art Online is another good example.”

Azure blinked once… then twice… Veronica walked up to him and gave the back of his head a whack as he shook off the feeling, "Ah… Okay, so I was living in Mexico for a good long while and I was uh… Isekai'd I suppose twenty fifteen. I haven't heard that term at all."

“Weird,” Sunset shrugged.

"I heard guests!" A high pitched child-like voice called out from the walls as a small, three foot and translucent spectral being appeared from the floor. It's appearance seemed to be a mix of a rabbit and a small bear cub wearing a metal viking-like helm with holes for their elongated ears and holding a small iron axe. The ghost looked around with their pale icy blue eyes before gasping and smiling brightly at Midna and Sunset, "SAAALUTATIOONS!" The ghost cheered, throwing both arms in the air.

Mida released a squeal as she dove at the small creature much to Sunset’s surprise cuddled the small ghost, “You’re so adorable!”

The ghost simply allowed herself the contact, giggling all the while, "Ah~ I do miss hugging~"

"You hug me all the time, Veral," Azure commented with a smirk.

"Yes, but that's because you're my baby boy~" Veral replied.

"Hah! Momma's boy!~" Veronica teased, Azure only rolling his eyes as he blushed.

"Besides the point… there's a reason you're both here, isn't there?" Azure asked.

“To make a long story short, after we got home from the Dungeon there was a woman named Roxanne waiting for us in the kitchen,” Sunset explained, “She said she was our new land lord and had taken up Midna’s ‘case’ as a Displaced, told us about them and left a red crystal on our table. We were too tired to do much so we just went to bed. Next morning we had breakfast and Midna picked up the crystal wondering if it was a Token. Next thing we know we’re here.”

Azure looked worried at this, "None of my tokens should be remotely activated like that…" He murmured before sighing. Shrugging, he started to look through his robes before pulling out a cut crystal colored a vibrant red, "Is this what you touched?"

“Yup,” Midna said as she pulled her own red crystal out of her shadow.

"You're holding a Destruction Diamond," Azure explained, "Normally, this gem will amplify your affinity for darkness and fire. Should you or someone else attempt to damage the Diamond, the spirit within will seep out and attempt to kill everyone."

“So use it in emergencies, got it,” Midna said, putting it back in her shadow.

"Oh no, go nuts," Azure said with a smile, "Just keep it from getting damaged."

"Wait, you never told me that would happen," Veronica said as she glared at Azure.

"I've never had a reason to," The man replied simply.

“So… Roxanne said you’d be able to teach us how to fight?” Sunset said, “We were mostly just lucky to get through the dungeon with little to no damage.”

“Well luck and knowing the Zeldra tropes,” Midna snickered.

"Fists, weapons or magic?" Azure asked with a smirk.

"Please say it's fists!" Veronica exclaimed with a wild smile.

"Down girl," Both Azure and Veral said in unison as the blonde slumped.

“Well we both have magic, Midna has some special weapons including her Mirror of Shadows, we’re both decent with a bow and while we were in the dungeon we stole a couple of the Shadow Bokoblin’s clubs and some Shadow Lizalfos scimitars and shields… oh and some of the Shadow Bokoblin’s arrows too.”

“Though you were in a more… demonic form while in the dungeon which as far as we know is what gave you access to your magic,” Midna said, now sitting on a couch with Veral on her lap.

"Then what would you like to focus on first?" Azure asked, "For example, I can teach Sunset here everything I know about pyromancy. Midna, I'm well versed in darkness and shadow magic, but I'm also adept with various forms of armaments."

"He also knows how to use his hands~" Veronica added as she slowly wrapped her arms around Azure from behind, the man blushing up a storm as she snickered.

“You tease him with innuendos a lot don’t you?” Midna snickered while Sunset had buried her face in her hands.

"Not my fault he likes it," Veronica replied.

"Please don't tell anyone our business…" Azure said weakly as he tried not to look anyone in the eye.

"And stop being such a hussy!" Veral shouted as she waved her arm at the blonde.

“It’s fine… I do the same thing to Shimmy,” Midna replied with her imp like grin.

“Why are we roommates again?” Sunset asked.

“Because we’re the best of friends and life would be boring without me,” Midna snickered.

“... damn it you're right,” Sunset sighed.

"Just friends?" Veronica asked curiously.

"So who wants training!?" Azure questioned as he quickly got up, an embarrassed smile on his face.

"I wouldn't mind learning some more offense oriented magic," Midna said, "Before yesterday all I did was work on wards and defensive magic to not let our friends know about what I can do… since they now know a little more about me I might let them know I have magic apart from shifting to my Imp form."

"And I have been meaning to learn some hand to hand combat…" Sunset mussed.

"Great, so how long will you two be staying?" Azure asked as he pulled out a piece of parchment and a pen.

“Well… we have a three day weekend back home but I don’t know if time works differently here...” Midna said.

"It has to," Sunset said, "It was around eight thirty when we left and it's nearing noon now."

"Hmm… that's a weird discrepancy," Azure mumbled, "Oh well, no use worrying about it for now," With this, he moved to the backyard door once more, "Coming?"

“Yeah yeah,” Midna said, rolling her eyes as she let Veral get up before moving to join Azure, “We’re coming. Don’t let Veronica’s wing hit yeah as we pass by.”

"Well, we have a few options," Azure said once they were outside once again, "We can train all of your physical abilities out here or we can go into the Everfree and we can train your magic in there."

“Why can’t we train with magic here?” Sunset asked, “And again I don’t know if I can use magic outside the Twilight Realm yet.”

"Did I mention the part where I'm hiding from Celestia?" Azure asked, "I can't risk her recognizing my magical signature or yours," He explained, "Plus, you may be human, but you're still in Equestria. We just need to awaken your core, and to do that… well, have you ever been inside someone's mind?"

“No, fair point, haven’t thought of it that way and no,” Sunset said, “Alright into the Everfree it is.”

Almost as if reacting to her words, the forest opened up, several small golden orbs floating near the entrance, "I'll lead the way," Azure offered as the group made their way in.

The deeper they entered, the more the dead trees began to thin out as more magically charged willows and oaks came into view, the same golden orbs floating within the forest having nestled themselves into the trees.

Midna shuddered, “This place is just teaming with Light Magic… I can feel it tingling on my skin.”

“Not just Light Magic,” Sunset said, “Nature Magic as well. Is this what the Everfree is supposed to be like instead of dark and gloomy like the one in our world?”

"This forest fell into disrepair," Azure began to explain, "Years and years of neglect as well as a certain chaos spirit filling the earth below with magic drinking seeds. Thankfully, someone fixed it."

“We’ll make sure to let Luna know about those seeds,” Sunset said, “Any idea where they’re most likely to be located?”

"Tree of Harmony," Azure replied as several golden orbs lit up along the surrounding shrubbery, "They were put there, to my knowledge, as a means to drain the tree of its power."

“... Didn’t know there was a Tree of Harmony but I’ll take your word for it,” Sunset said, writing down what Azure told her on a piece of paper Veronica handed herm “Now then you said something about awakening my magical core?”

"Hm? Oh right, I'll be taking a quick dive into your mind," Azure explained, all the while, the orbs in the shrubs blinked as they seemed to watch and follow the group, "You should be fully conscious as this happens which will make things that much smoother."

“That’s not ominous,” Sunset said sarcastically.

"Surprised you two haven't noticed the wolves," Veronica said absentmindedly, arms crossed behind her head in boredom. The orbs blinked again as the shrubbery rustled… but hadn't done much else. At least until a tiny yip echoed from Midna's right foot, a small ankle high dog shaped mass of golden white wood looking up at her expectantly.

“What a cute puppy,” Midna said as she knelt down to pet it, “Wanna see my wolves?”

The shrubs rustled again, ten more adult sized wooden wolves poking their heads out in curiosity, "I think that's a yes," Azure said with a chuckle.

Midna snapped her fingers and three Twilit Wolves jumped out of portals, padded over to the wooden wolves to examine them.

There has seemed to be a bit of apprehension from the wooden pack, but after a few sniffs, the wooden wolves calmed down quickly enough.

"Twilit wolves…" Azure whispered in awe, "Aren't they susceptible to the sun?"

"Twilit Wolfos to use their proper names but normally yes. I think because I have an item to summon then and it's… well me summoning them their fine," Midna said, "At least that's the only thing I could think of that makes sense."

"Soul bonded summons usually carry the same defenses as their summoner," Azure reasoned, "Well… I hope everyone's ready, because it's time to train."

Author's Note:

so Midna meets both her Displacer [technically] and her first Displaced, and across over with my friend Azure555 and his story The Equestrian Omni-Knight

Fair warning this crossover goes on for a couple chapters