• Published 18th Mar 2018
  • 989 Views, 4 Comments

Convicted Hearts: The Dragons Stone - SaphireHoyt



My breath was hastened as I collapsed to my hands and knees. I could no longer flee. My body ached and my heart throbbed in my chest. The searing heat around the volcano drove me to cough. I felt the beast of legends on my back. There was no escape.

  • ...
7
 4
 989

Help the Small Creature

When I last decided to take time to think about my plans, I was beginning to sense that these creatures don't see me as a cognitive being. I am very much so, intelligent. Even more intelligent than some adults back on Earth, even. There was no proof of this though, and trying to gain respect and dignity proved to be harder than expected. I am only mine years old, yes, but I still deserve to be treated with respect just as the other hatchlings do. But I was smaller. Possibly frowned upon, by these strange and foreign creatures of legend.

I could barely imagine what one might think if they found themselves in my situation. I gave a smile and cooperated with the thoughts and commands of my "elder mind" as I had come to call the voice in my head. I could not cut through the fog, other than the occasional memory slipping to close. It was never mine though, only his. He would give me no choice on memory to keep. Some were horrific and damning, and others were well... Frightening. There were wars, long and terrible with creatures who seemed to want nothing but peace and love.

For me to comprehend something that overly done. Eventually, peace was made, and those poor creatures were given the peace they so desperately begged for from the very beginning. I could sense the feelings within my own mind. He disliked the peace that they had. He seemed to have considered those beings weak. Well not me. I looked at the luscious greenery on the other side of the lake and I felt something pull at my heart. The marking on my chest burned slightly and a thought entered my mind. Why not try and leave, and go to this place?

The elder mind pinged a headache through my head and growled, reminding me I was a prisoner in my own head. I decided then, no matter what the costs were, I was going to have my own adventure. Prophecy aside, maybe I would find more answers across the lake than being treated like a baby here. The elder mind did not enjoy my train of thought.

'What do you think you're doing?'It sounded angry in the back of my head, and I responded aloud simply.

"Leaving." My response gave no room for protest other than a simple 'What?!' as I grabbed my pack and my blanket, making my way down the shore. I had a stone, a small one that had been chipped down for me to bite on when I got bored. Strangely, chewing on things was becoming a pass time. I looked around and gathered logs and vines from what little vegetation there was at where I had begun building my raft. It was rather weak. I could barely wait to think of what awaited me at the other side of the lake in the luscious green fields of the beautiful open shore. I tied the vines securely.

Or as securely as a nine year old could tie a raft together. I was being impulsive, my elder mind tried to reason. How could I possibly survive out there with no food for, good stars knows how long. I pushed the thoughts aside, referencing the fact that I still had a few granola bars in my back pack. He asked how I intended to get water. I tasted the water that I had arrived in, and as expected, the water was fresh. That's where I would get my water. How would I get across the water without an oar?

Well... That had me stumped. At least, it did until I took off my shoe and went into the woods to rummage for a long, thick good stick. I grabbed out a fantastic looking branch, it would be good for a staff later too. I grabbed vines and smiled evilly, enjoying the protest of the elder mind as I made my own decision. On impulse possibly, but I still made the decision myself. There was no type of interference. There was no type of special treatment that I had gone through. It was just a quick, on point decision that I made. There was no stopping me now. There was nothing that could stop me. I walked out casually and whistled as I tested the raft, hoping it was sturdy enough to hold. I tied my blanket to my neck like a cape and put on my pack to keep it in place. We were off. I used my shoe oar to paddle, and I made it about 20 feet out before I started to feel a bit frightened. The mark on my chest burned a little bit. It didn't hurt. It just felt... Strange. Stranger than I had expected.

I was going off alone into the unknown. At nine years old? I felt the elder minds presence strongly in the back of my mind. Surely these thoughts were caused by him and not me! I paddled out further, struggling a bit to hold my excitement for adventure. There was a feeling- a feeling of fear and excitement. There was no one to talk to but myself out here, and no one but myself to complain to. I was on my own for the first time ion my life- that I could remember. This was a whole new realm for me.
~~~~
When I arrived at the other side, the sun had set and the stars were out. The moon was high, and I was tired. So tired. The exhaustion was enough to knock me out cold. I could barely keep my eyes open. I coughed slightly and pulled my blanket over my shoulders, holding my pack close. It was cold- so, so cold. I took the shoe off my oar stick and held my blueberry flavored stone close to me. It was on a necklace now. I looked around, shivering as I saw a tree with a large opening in it, big enough for me to climb into. I curled up in the fetal position, sitting up with my pack in my lap. I had the my shoe's drying outside having used them both as paddles. I shivered as I slowly drifted into a sleep.
~~~~
My dreams were clearer now, of one of the Elder Minds memories. I was on an empty battle field, staring at a monstrously massive dragon towering above two horse like figures, who were still massive even compared to me. They had their horns lit up- unicorns. And their wings flared. One had a strange breezing pastel rainbow main and tail, and the other, of darker colors with her main and tail twinkling as it flowed too. I froze and watched as they allowed their beams to combine, and the deafening roar from the blinding flash that followed frightened me more than anyone could have expected. I gave a cry out through the ringing of my ears, and looked up to see darkness around me. Only the moon was shown with the stars seeming to stare down at me like the beady eyes of a bird or spying monster. There was a voice that came up, and I heard it loud and clear.

"I can see you..."