• Published 17th Jan 2018
  • 3,353 Views, 29 Comments

Tales of Love Three - Mister Phoenix



Spike is back in the Tales of Love once more, with new mares, more different one-shots and him getting all the mares chasing after him.

  • ...
8
 29
 3,353

Blind Date: (Lightning Dust x Spike)

It was a warm yet cloudy day in the city of Fillydelphia, as a bright-blue light with a yellow streak in the center blazed through the city. It was Lightning Dust; fastest pegasus in her home city and a would-be Wonderbolt if it wasn't for Rainbow Dash.

After word got round of her misgivings at the academy, ponies began to turn a blind eye to the speedy pegasus, the only job that even considered hiring her being the mail-ponies.

Her coat was a light turquoise, and her mane a brilliant amber with beautiful gold stripes adorning it. Her eyes, with their interesting gamboge colour, shimmered in the bits of sun that broke through the mass of clouds.

Lightning Dust knew she could easily travel across the whole city in record-breaking time, and a forehoof twitched at the thought of such exhilarating fun. Yet she still felt that small bit of extra weight in her saddlebag and easily remembered she had but one stop left on her mail-run.

She came to a quick and effortless halt, glancing around with a cheerful grin. She always saved the library for last. She trotted past the mailbox that read 'Spike' whilst scanning over the remaining letters, pausing at the last one; a love letter written by herself. Lighting Dust had carried that letter with her on multiple runs, always having an inner battle whether to give it to Spike or not. The speedy pegasus hesitated once more before shoving it back into her bag, knocking a hoof on the archaic wooden door.

The door opened wide and she gave a soft smile, seeing the tall purple-and-green scaled dragon. Spike returned the smile to his friend, waving her into the library courteously.

The dragon had begun living in Fillydelphia about three months ago, leaving his assistant job to seek out his own career. When Spike had first arrived, he was somewhat surprised to learn that there were dragons living in their own part of the city. The discrimination toward them kept all to their own little ‘Dragon Town’, nearly all unable to get any jobs outside it. Spike, however, was lucky as the city library was recently shut down from neglect and desperately needed an owner. Being the only being willing and knowledgeable, the job and place was his in minutes.

Barely anypony even gave Spike the time of day, turning their heads or quickly trotting away. No matter how kind he was to them, mothers would pull their children away from the dragon. Some ponies purposefully changed their daily routine to stay away from him. Lightning Dust was the first pony who talked to him, although the only reason was because she thought it’d be ‘wicked’ to have a dragon for a friend.

Their friendship took a nosedive before it could flourish after Spike told her he was one of Rainbow Dash's friends. When she heard that, Lightning Dust angrily stuck her tongue out in disgust, she wanted nothing to do with anyone who knew that rainbow mane devil!

Despite her heel-face turn hatred of him, Spike still treated her with nothing but kindness. One day, he noticed a small group of ponies huddled in a circle yelling at something. He slowly got closer out of curiosity only to see seemingly defeated looking Lightning Dust in the circle’s center. He instantly sprang at the circle of bullies, blowing smoke and giving them an exaggerated deranged look.

They all screamed and galloped away, tails tucked between their legs. Spike slowly exhaled and offered a claw to the unfortunate pegasus. With both giving each other weak smiles, their friendship finally flourished at a swift pace. Lightning Dust stuck with him from then on while trotting the streets, the ponies too terrified to be anywhere near her with her ‘feral attack dragon’ at her side.

As the months flew by, the two only grew closer as friends. Eventually, Lightning found herself growing a light crush on the dragon. White Lightning, with whom Lightning Dust is crashing with, bombarded her with unending teasing once she had found out. The first time she found out White Lightning gave a unsettlingly large smile before dancing around the room, chanting “My sister likes someone!” to which Lighting Dash could only give an embarrassed laugh.

The speedy pegasus would grow flustered quite often when White Lightning began to tease her. As she had put it, the speedy pegasus was due for some payback after Lightning Dust had teased her sister when the awkward pegasus had found a nice marefriend. The last few weeks the barrage of teasing stopped abruptly, turning instead to coaxing her to ask the dragon out. Each night getting the same sad sight of a pegasus taking a letter she had written out of love, trashing it, and writing a new one for the next day. Each day hope grew for something different, and today seemed like it might finally be the one.

Snapping out of her casual expository flashback, Lightning Dust turned around to address the dragon of her dreams.

"Hey there Spike." she greeted with a large grin.

Spike smiled back with an eyebrow raised, "It’s good to see you, as always, but you know it's called a mailbox for a reason, Dusty." Spike joked, Lightning Dust’s cheeks heated as she pawed at the ground with a hoof.

'Dusty'.

A nickname that Spike had given her.

Lightning Dust thought it was far too cute for an awesome pegasus like herself. It always seeming to ruffle her feathers when he used it, meaning that Spike used it constantly, until White Lightning informed Lightning Dust that the speedy pegasus and the bookworm dragon were ‘sharing pet names’. Lightning Dust simply banged her head against a table repeatedly at that comment.

She shook herself out of embarrassment and thought up a comeback, "Well if I used it, then you wouldn’t be blessed by my awesome presence." Lightning Dust countered, flipping her mane for extra emphasis.

Spike gave an exaggerated eye roll, "Uh-huh, sure. And, might I ask, how are mail-ponies awesome again?" Spike quizzed.

Lightning Dust shoved the mail into Spike's claws, unable to think of any rebuttals. Spike chuckled as her cheeks grew heated and she gave an overstated pout.

"Aww, come on Dusty, don’t gimme that look!" Spike whined, “How about I make it up to you by taking you to a nice dinner? What say you to that?” Lightning's eyes widened and her face turned bright red.
Spike had just basically asked her out on a date.

Lightning Dust began hyperventilating before turning around to face Spike with a fake smile, hiding her huge grin that she would normally have when the dragon ask her to hang out.

"No, sorry Spike... But, umm.... I have more delivers to make and stuff. I'm really busy! Honest." Lightning Dust spoke, letting out a nervous chuckle while she were scratching the back of her neck.

"Oh, alright then. Have a good day, Dusty." Spike said, giving the speedy pegasus his friendly smile.

"Yeah, you too. Later Spike!" Lightning Dust said, before she bolted into the bright blue sky.

Lightning Dust speed back to the quiet dead-end street, not many houses were built around the silent corner. There is only about five to seven houses at the most, and the ponies who lived around these parts kept to themselves. Yelling at anyone who would dare come close to their door, Lightning Dust walked down the sidewalk, at the end of the street seemed to be the only house that had any bright colours painted on it, since the rest is just either black or gray or a mix of both.

The speedy pegasus mare with the light turquoise coat, used the key she kept around her neck. Opening to be greeted by the ever chipper Cloud Kicker; White Lightning's marefriend, who been crashing here since the two mares started getting serious in their relationship. Cloud Kicker has grayish cerise eyes, a light brilliant amber and very light yellow for her mane colour and her coat being pale persian blue.

Cloud Kicker wrapped Lightning Dust into a tight hug, the speedy pegasus let out a groan of annoyance, Cloud Kicker seems to treat Lightning Dust like the pegasus is made out of glass and could break at any moment, it made Lightning Dust's eye twitch every time Cloud Kicker reminded the speedy pegasus about her failure at being a Wonderbolt. The only reason why Lightning Dust didn't kick Cloud Kicker to the ground is one soul reason, White Lightning would be mad and rule number one is never get White Lightning mad.

"Let go of her, Cloudy." A female voice rang, Cloud Kicker patted Lightning Dust's head before going back to the couch.

White Lightning; Lightning Dust's older sister, with Lightning Dust being the middle child of the family of three. White Lightning has light cyan colour eyes, a light cerulean mane and a sapphire bluish white coat. Cloud Kicker and White Lightning both gave a quick kiss on the lips that made Lightning Dust stick out her tongue in disgust, seeing her older sister and her marefriend kissing and making lovey dovey faces to each other while the speedy pegasus was still in the room made Lightning Dust feel sick.

"Cloudy, you mind if I have a chat with my dear sister." White Lightning spoke, Cloud Kicker kissed White Lightning's cheek before leaving to the room that the couple shared.

"What's wrong Lightning? Come sit and tell your big sister all your problems." White Lightning spoke, Lightning Dust rolled her eyes.

The speedy pegasus sat on the dusty brown couch, sitting next to her older sister. White Lightning gave her younger sister a kind small smile, the pegasus mare with the sapphire bluish white coat have tried her best to reconnect with Lightning Dust, hoping that with her younger sister living with her once again, that the two could become friends once more and fix their broken family. White Lightning had little luck with Lightning Dust, the speedy pegasus would turn her head and ignore her older sister, the only time when the two had a real talk was when Lightning Dust first meet Spike, when the dragon moved to Fillydelphia.

"It just after the Wonderbolt Academy, I just feel like no pony wants me." Lightning Dust spoke, White Lightning wrapped her wing around the speedy pegasus.

"What about Spike? He's your friend, even after learning what you did." White Lightning said

"Yeah, but Spike just wants to be friends.... I want to feel wanted again, seeing you with Cloud Kicker just keeps reminding me that there's no pony in my life that would give that kind of love." Lightning Dust spoke, White Lightning's eyes sparkled with a idea coming to her mind.

"Blind Dating!" White Lightning cried out

"Huh?" Lightning Dust let out, confusion filled her voice.

"It's simple, go blind dating. You be able to meet stallions that are the perfect match for you, sure there are some weirdos out there. But you’re my sister, even if you find a weirdo boyfriend I’ll still be by your side." White Lightning gave Lightning Dust a smile who is just scratching the back of her mane.

"Sure, I guess so, it not like anypony in their right mind would willing go on a date with me after The Academy Accident." Lightning Dust spoke, she hung her head in despair.

"Any guy would be lucky to have you Lightning. I have to say that since I'm your older sister, but I always be by your side and if any jerk breaks your heart, just tell me and let's just say they’ll never be walking ever again." White Lightning stated, Lightning Dust looked at her older sister in pure surprise.

"Your terrifying when your angry."

"Anything for my sisters, I won't let any harm come to you." White Lightning smiled


The next day came sooner than Lightning Dust had hoped, she made her rounds around the city. Stopping once again at Spike's library, chatting with him giving the purple and green scale dragon his junk mail. Lightning Dust bid goodbye to the dragon, Spike talked to her about having somewhere to go, it ignored Lightning Dust to no end that the dragon kept it a secret.

Now, there she was. Standing in front of a grinning pair of unicorn stallions known as the Flim Flam Brothers. Lightning Dust threatened them before the two could start singing about blind dating, the speedy pegasus already felt bad about all of this. She signed up her name, the two unicorn brothers smiled at the pegasus.

"Worry not, young filly." Flim spoke, grinning

"Yes, your date will be at The Jump Start Cafe." Flam finished with a smile.

"That's the cheapest cafe in Fillydelphia!" Lightning Dust yelled, the Flim Flam brothers looked worried at the angry mare.

"Why yes, but you don't want to scare you date with something to big." Flim started, he hit his brother with his right leg.

"Oh, right. Plus it’ll be more romantic if you two fell in love in a place most ponies turn a blind eye to." Flam continued

"And it is called a blind date, isn't The Jump Start Cafe the best place to start." Flim finished, Lightning Dust held her tongue.

"Fine, then I don't care." Lightning Dust spoke, turning her head away from the two unicorn brothers.

"That's great, your date is at six-PM. Table sixteen and the gentle colt name is Drake!" Flam spoke, Lightning Dust elevated her eyebrow.

'I am going to get you for this White Lightning, if this is some weirdo, I'll make you pay!' Lightning Dust thought, while she flew away.

She had a bit of free time, having told the Flim Flam Brothers her nickname, she was thinking of something cool and awesome to match her personally. There were no words that Lightning Dust could think of, just using that dumb cute nickname that Spike calls her. 'Dusty' the speedy pegasus didn't even bother getting a dress on for this date, the pegasus with a light turquoise coat refused the dress, Lightning Dust didn't care if she was going on a date with Princess Celestia, the speedy pegasus would not and will not put on a dress, they always slow her down and reminded the pegasus of some bad days that happen in the past.

Six-PM; the clock stuck and made a dinging noise, The Jump Start Cafe is most run down and cheapest place in the city of Fillydelphia. The Cafe is a complete wreck, there are holes in the ceiling and in the floor any kind of pressure would create another hole. There are mouses and bugs living in the walls, when the chef sees any bugs crawling near the food. Those bugs would be met with a silver spatula.

Then they will continue to use the spatula even after ending a bug’s life with it. Lightning Dust couldn't stomach anything that these guys made, the best part is if you get sick in Jump Start Cafe you get one third of what you had paid. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, oh boy the ponies who run The Cafe get peeved always trying to weasel they way out of losing money.

Lightning Dust sat at table sixteen waiting for her date to come through those doors, she started tapping her hoof against the ground, there wasn't many ponies here so, there wasn't anypony to annoy. Lightning Dust ducked under the table, seeing her best friend and only friend; Spike walking through the door, Lightning Dust saw that the purple and green scale dragon held a white piece of paper in his claw.

"Dusty? Weird name choice, table sixteen." Spike said, Lightning Dust sneak her way to the girls toilet.

She is set on it, tomorrow she is going to destroy the Flim Flam Brothers. It will be slow and painful, she hit her head with her hoof.

"Out of everypony in Fillydelphia, my date has to be with Spike! The only guy who I like!" Lightning Dust said to herself, covering her mouth with her hoof.

Lightning Dust shook her head. 'Okay it is only one date. It won't change anything between us, it just like any normal day when we hang out together. Only this time it's a date, with the only guy who is willing to call me a friend. You got this Lightning, I'm cool and awesome, I can handle anything that comes my way!'

Lightning Dust exited, coming up to Table Sixteen. With every step, she took the table seemed to be moving farther away, the speedy pegasus knew it was all in her head. She sat opposite of Spike giving off a cocky smile, the purple and green scale dragon expression froze looking at his date.

"Your Dusty.... I don't know why I didn't catch that sooner." Spike spoke

"Yeah, it was the only name I could think of, what your reason Mr. Drake?" Lightning Dust questioned, Spike let out a laugh.

"It a ridiculous name, but when I was living Ponyville, some ponies thought that a male dragon is called a Drake and I believed them until I made friends with Dragon Lord Ember and after her never ending laughter, a male dragon is just called a dragon while a female is a dragoness." Spike explained, Lightning Dust grind her teeth when Spike spoke of another female in his life.

"Yeah, funny story." Lightning Dust spoke

The two stayed silent not knowing what to say to each other, talking to each other on any normal day was just fine, but now with the speedy pegasus sitting opposite of the male dragon. Either of them couldn't find any words, Lightning Dust ordered her favourite dish; Tomato, snow pea and basil salad with Spike wanting the same thing. Spike smiled at the pegasus.

"So, umm... How are you?" Spike asked, trying to break the silence between them.

"Good, my older sister White Lighting talked me into this." Lightning Dust explain

"Yeah, I been wanting to find that special one for me. The mare who I want to be with never wanted to go out with me." Spike explain, Lightning Dust is holding down her anger.

"That mare must be dumb if she doesn't want to be with you." Lightning Dust spoke, Spike gave off a weak smile.

This is most awkward first date Spike’s ever had, well it is the only date he ever had. The two have nothing to talk about and wasn't even looking into each others eyes, it seem like forever when the date ended, Spike had wanted to go on a date with Lightning Dust when he started learning more about the speedy pegasus.

Tomorrow came, Lightning Dust made her rounds. Speeding past every mailbox, filling them with the mail that she carried in her saddle. Lightning Dust stopped at the library that Spike runs, the speedy pegasus stood by the mailbox, pulling out all of Spike's mail and just dumping it his mailbox and get away.

"Dusty. Hey what's up!" Spike cried out, Lightning Dust froze

"Sup Drake. I'm just putting your mail in your mailbox like you always wanted." Lightning Dust spoke, scratching her mane.

"Yeah, thanks for that... I thought you wanted to talk." Spike said.

"I.... I got places to go Spike.... Umm... It just well I need more stuff to do." Lightning Dust lied, "Lots of other stuff... Important stuff.... Bye!" Lightning Dust spoke, speeding off before Spike could say another word.

Spike hit his head with his claw more than once, calling himself an idiot not telling Lightning Dust how he felt about her sooner. The male dragon opened his mailbox, looking over the junk mail, letters from his friends from Ponyville wondering if he doing okay. The last letter was a love letter, from Lightning Dust. Spike eyes widen in shock, he read what the pegasus had written, her hoof writing is terrible.

Dear Spike.

I don't know what to write here, I'm not going to lie I spend a while with the quill in my mouth. White Lightning (Older Sister) told me to pour my heart out and tell you that I love you. That's not me, and I want you to love me for who I am, I know we're friends, but I kinda wish we could be more.

I don't think I'll be able to give this to you, I might not be brave enough. You're my best friend, well you're my only friend. My sister doesn't count, I would like to go on a date with you, I doubt you feel the same way about me. I'm the mare who almost hurt your closest friends, I'm shocked that you’re even my friend. I'm writing to ask you out on a real date.

Love From Lightning Dust.


Little surprises Lightning Dust, she train herself day and night to become the best out of any pegasus and no pony was close to her best beside Rainbow Dash, but the pegasus with light turquoise coat tried her best to not think about that cyan pegasus with the rainbow mane. Now, seeing White Lightning talking to Spike, her older sister was busy sharing really embarrassing stories about Lightning Dust's childhood.

"Then there was when our mother..." White Lightning started, Lightning Dust's eye twitching.

"That's ENOUGH!" Lightning Dust cried out, the pegasus and dragon looked over at the mad Lightning Dust.

"Sorry, but that's enough. White you know not to talk about her, Drake what are you doing here?" Lightning Dust asked, Spike shook his head.

"What's with the 'Drake' nickname Dusty?" Spike question

"If you can call me 'Dusty' I can call you 'Drake' and it seems that you don't enjoy that name so, I'm sticking to it." Lightning Dust spoke, sticking her tongue out, causing White Lightning to giggle at how cute the dragon and her younger sister acted to each other.

"I came here because of this." Spike said, he is grinning while he held the love letter Lightning Dust wrote for him, her cheeks heated up with a blush.

"Spike... Umm... You don't..."

"I'm here to say I love to go on a date with you and a real one. Just us together, and if it sounds awkward we can just hang out like normal friends do and have it not be a date." Spike explained

Lightning Dust's cheeks couldn't be more red, she saw her older sister giggling to herself behind Spike’s back, White Lightning never seen Lightning Dust this embarrassed before, she could tell that the older sister was fighting to take a picture to have this golden moment last forever.

"Umm.... Sure, Spike that will be great." Lightning Dust said, her cheeks heating up even more.

"That's wonderful, I'll meet you at the museum tomorrow around lunch." Spike said, getting up and before he left the male dragon kissed Lightning Dust's cheek.

Once Spike left, White Lightning couldn't stop smiling towards her younger sister.

"Not one word, White, not one word."

"You're in love." White Lightning said

Midday finally arrived, Lightning Dust landed with style in front of the large museum made out of stone, Spike shook his head sideways at the speedy pegasus.

"So, umm.... Dusty, why did you get so mad about the mere mention of your mother?" Spike asked, Lightning Dust froze looking away from the male dragon.

"It's a long story, my mother wasn't a good pony. She did things a mother should never do to their children, she's locked away now and the youngest sibling went to our aunt Lofty, she was only a baby at the time, she most likely doesn't even know she has siblings."

"But, I don't want to sour our date, hurry up Drake. You're far too slow!" Lightning Dust spoke up, she started flying and pulling on Spike's right arm.

Spike didn't get much time to look at anything in the Museum since whenever the two stopped, Lightning Dust kept in the air, wanting to speed past everything. Everything beside the History of The Wonderbolts, which caught her eyes, she land on the ground looking to see some pegasus fillies and colts standing in cut out of the Wonderbolts uniform one day wanting to be one. Spike grabbed her shoulder, causing the speedy pegasus to look at Spike in surprise, she somewhat forgot why she was here.

"I remember back when I was a filly, I used to sneak out every day to stand where those children are now. One day wishing to become a Wonderbolt to be the best, to have little fillies and colts look up to me like I'm a hero, I'm the best pony there ever was."

"I got so caught up in it, that I forgot what it meant to be a Wonderbolt. I just wanted to be the best, better than anypony else and it went to my head." Lightning Dust spoke, Spike pulled her close to him, the speedy pegasus could feel his warm scales pressing against her coat.

"I think you would've made a great Wonderbolt, Dusty. Come on, we can get out of here." Spike said, Lightning Dust followed in silence, while she kept looking back to The Wonderbolt Hall even when she couldn't see it anymore.

Spike smiled, giving the pegasus a chocolate ice-cream. Lightning Dust licked her lips at the site,after the date ended, Lightning Dust gave Spike a small peck on his scaly lips. It been a rough later days, she and Spike got back to talking again with still a little bit of awkward moments in between their conversation. Lightning Dust was so glad that her annoying older sister wasn't around when Spike gave her some roses, which is her favourite.

"Hey Dusty." Spike spoke, Lightning Dust paused before she soar away.

"Yeah Drake, what is it?" Lightning Dust asked

"I was just wondering if you want to be my marefriend? I would understand if you don't want to be in a relation-" Spike got silence by Lightning Dust pressing her lips against Spike's.

Lightning Dust broke the kiss, looking over at Spike's shocked expression.

"I was wonder how long it would take you to ask me out. The answer yes, there's no pony or anybody else I would want to be with beside you, Drake."

"Well, my marefriend Dusty. Ready for the first date we are going to have together as a couple?" Spike asked, Lightning Dust let out a giggle.

"Lead the way my boyfriend Drake." Lightning Dust kissed his check, flying by his side ready for their third date.

Author's Note:

I'll just like to remind everyone that the Tales of Love is meant to be short Spike shipping One-Shots that would have been too short for their own stories. Clearly I forgot that, oh well. I will update the title once it is worked over with my editor who is gone at the moment.

My head canon is now that Lightning Dust and White Lightning are sisters! There is no reason, they just have the word 'Lightning' in their names. Now do you want to watch me suffer, the answer is most likely 'yes' I made a blog about it; Should Moondancer and Trixie have their own chapter, there would be two parts:

The first part will be Moondancer and Trixie fighting over Spike's Gala Ticket, the dragon gives them both a date each before deciding who will be his plus one.

The second part will be the Gala; Spike and whatever mare he chose will go to the Gala, to make this less confusing. Spike chose Moondancer, Trixie went with Starlight (after begging) after the date Spike gave each of them, both Moondancer and Trixie want Spike to be their boyfriend, battling each other for Spike's first dance.

So, Yes or No? I still unsure about it. Oh, and before I forget: Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon x Spike are no longer in Tales of Love Three, they got replace by Little Strongheart. The next chapter is Fooled Around and Fell In Love (Coco Pommel x Spike)

Random Picture Time, also this was the best picture of Lightning Dust x Spike I could find.