• Published 2nd Jan 2018
  • 2,903 Views, 80 Comments

Living Darkness - vildtiger

  • ...
9
 80
 2,903

PreviousChapters Next
This is not a Date

Note: This happens six days after the last chapter.
it's not based on any MLP episode.

To anyone saying that the human world winter comes very suddenly got nothing on how things work here in Equestria, here winter came on a single day and like the other turned humans, Scout found that both weird and awesome on how much control the ponies have over the seasons. He sure had fun putting out clouds so the snow could fall. Scout likes winter, he doesn't love it as ice and snow make it hard to be outside and do what he likes best; which is running and playing baseball, but he does like having a good old fashion snowball fight now and then. And since he is not in the War Games nor being home and mocked by his brothers of his childish behavior, instead of being in a whole other dimension where game and fun are pretty much the norms. Well, Scout is having a snowball fight with the local kids. He may be fast enough to dodge the snowballs thrown at him, but the kiddies have the advantages that they have grown up with hooves and knows how to make proper snowballs without the use of fingers. All he can make is something there breaks the second he throws it. Still, he is having fun dodging snowballs instead of bullets.
Suddenly, out from seemly nowhere, Pyro appears with a huge snowball over her head, Scout and the kids freezes up just long enough to watch this snowball get thrown at them, then they take the run for it and Scout is very happy Pyro missed them so he only got part of that giant snowball splattered over his body. Turning to the grinning dragon, Scout can’t help but asks her a bit taunting. “That’s all you got mumbles?!” To then yelp when Ponyville's second dragon starts chasing him with yet another giant snowball, at least he is fast enough so he won’t get caught, and that makes the chase funnier. “Catch me if you can scaly!” and barely five minutes later he gets buried in snow. It wasn’t Pyro who did this, though.
Buring himself free, Scout realizes that it was Heavy who threw that one and Scout just got his head free in last second to see the glorious sight of the big guy getting plummed down by Pyro’s snowball. Scout laughs and digs himself out from the snow pile. He is about to kick some of the snow on Engineer who is laughing at what Pyro did to Heavy but then notices out from the corner of his eye someone he hasn’t spoken properly to ever since he discovered his ability to sense emotions. Oh, also because he has a very big secret to hold and not sure that he won't let it slip around Miss Pauling.
Watching her, Scout notices how stressed she looks, no, not stressed, she was that back in the human world, now she just looks… lost. He decides to take a chance to speak with her. He leaves the snowball fight between the big horse and dragon and flies over to the wandering aqua blue unicorn. “Hey, Miss Pauling.” He calls in a cheerful tone as he always would when starting a conversation with her. She stops and Scout asks as he approaches her. “You wanna join us in a snowball fight? Or maybe go out for a drink? I know a good place there sells hot chocolate.” His smile drops when getting in close enough, for his emotion detector tells him what the answer will be before she even opens her mouth.
“I have to decline, I am rather busy.” Miss Pauling says and does a very good job hiding her true emotions towards him. But like with his father, Miss Pauling can't lie to him anymore.
Scout nods slowly, not sure how to feel that Miss Pauling is not declining because she is busy. “You know... you can say you find me irritating, I’m used to be called much worse.” He's been called that for as long he remembers, gotten quite thick skinned about it really. Miss Pauling blinks, then winches as the wave of embarrassment wash over him. Scout smiles weakly to her. “I’ll leave you alone.” and starts to leave, wondering what he is doing wrong.

“Scout, I—“ Miss Pauling takes a step towards him, but stops herself, not sure why she feels so bad hurting Scout like this. He is a mercenary, an asset like the others and also been a nuisance that whole year and a half he has been the teams new Scout. The former at least knew that it would be wise not to flirt with the boss’s assistance. Scout stops for a moment, waiting and Miss Pauling wants to say something but either the reminder to keep it professional or an apology comes out from her mouth. She is a bit of a loss how to deal with this crush Scout has on her ever since day one. Thought it would disappear but it never did and back in the human world, she was so busy and wanting to do her job than bother herself with Scout’s flirting. But now, with so much time on her hand, she… she doesn't know… she wishes she could just go back and be too busy to worry about stuff like this. “It’s nothing.” She muses and leaves Scout.

But not for this half-changeling, Scout felt the tumult in Miss Pauling, the same he felt in his dad before they made peace with one another. Unlike his father- Antoine, Scout does not know how to tackle this problem. With Spy, he was ready to fight, ready to return back hating him and be sort of fine with it. Glad that outcome didn’t happen, he and his dad are starting to getting to know one another. With Miss Pauling however, Scout does not want to start a fight, he has always tried to please her— even he did not agree with her. “Man, I could really need some advice on this.” He mutters and just has said that, Scout realizes he has someone to ask about this. Checking the area and when sure the coast is clear as everyone is too busy having a snow fight with Pyro. Scout flies into Everfree Forest. Only before Zecora’s hut, Scout lands, he knocks on the door and steps inside, the hut is warm and a bit damp from the mixture the zebra is brewing in her cauldron. “Hey Zecora, is dad nearby?” He asks the for some reason winter dressed by cloak zebra even though she is inside. Must be something to do with her not handling the cold as well as others.

Zecora turns away from her brew. “Your father is out on a small travel, he is currently studying the princesses former castle.” She leaves the caldron and walks over to the table where several of her ingredients are. “Antoine wishes to challenge his mind with mystique, so I am afraid you won’t see him before at least a week.”

Of course, his old man goes on an adventure just when he needs him, typical. Scout rolls his eyes annoyed he has to wait probably a whole week to get an answer.

Zecora does not need a changeling's ability to sense emotions to know something is bothering Scout. “If I may be this humble, of what does your mind find of trouble?” She asks him.

“It’s nothing,” Scout brushes it off, not really sure he wants to let Zecora know about his year-long crush on a woman that does not return it. He is about to leave but stops when the zebra says from her spot. “Perhaps I can be of help if you do explain, we never know if I have something so your trip was not all in vain.” Scout hesitates but decides to at least give her a chance. He likes Zecora and is starting to not mind having her as a stepmother— so long he does not think too hard about she is a zebra and not a person. “Okay,” he walks over to the table where Zecora is currently cutting some sort of plant. “Do you know Miss Pauling?”

Zecora brushes the cut roots into a bowl. “The boss assistance you all wish to keep at a distance?” She asks mostly to be sure she and Jeremy are on the same page in this issue of his.

“Yeah, well… I like her- really like her.” Scout says, about to explains what he means but stops himself from doing with the knowing look Zecora gives him. Oh, right, she does probably know a lot on that field, dating his father and all. So instead he starts telling her about the main issue. “But I do not think she likes me, I mean she gets annoyed when I try and chat with her, but I also sensed she wanted to talk with me but… well, like she does not know what to do.” He shrugs, not sure how else to explain what he felt from her. Miss Pauling seems to want to hang around the team but something is making her keep anyone at an arm's length. In the War Games, he understood that it was because she was busy but now? “I felt she was confused and lost and I want to help but I don’t want to make her angry at me either, you know?”

Zecora hums quietly, starting to see what might be going on with this Miss Pauling. “I admit, this Miss Pauling sounds to be split.”

“Split? Like having a half soul?” Scout asks.

Zecora shakes her head. “Oh, no no, this split is in a mind conflict. She does no longer know her domain, what you felt is her heart's ace and I am sure your father can relate to this pain.” She grabs the ingredients to the brew, carefully putting them into the hot substance in the cauldron.

Scout follows her, not entirely sure what Zecora is telling him. “So… Miss Pauling is at a loss because she is not constantly working?”

“Work is all Miss Pauling know.” Zecora replies that’s at least what she has figured from what Antoine has told her about this assistance to his former boss and also what Jeremy here is telling her. “She is out of her life’s flow and life without constant work is Miss Pauling’s greatest woe.”

He is not entirely sure what she means, is Zecora trying to tell him that Miss Pauling is at a loss because she does not have a butt load of work anymore? “How can anyone live without a little fun?” He asks and steps back so the zebra can fetch more of her ingredients. “Do you think Miss Pauling knows how much she is missing?”

Zecora turns, letting her blue eyes meet his grey. “Perhaps it is best you show her worth of games and returns back her childhood zest.”

Scout nods and trots out, do stop for a moment when Zecora calls for him. “When you have tried and help Miss Pauling to adjust, could you return back here to my hut?” He sticks his head inside, a bit confused why she makes such a request. “Um okay, anything I need to bring or what?” The zebra chuckles and tells him with a smile. “No mean attitude would be a great gratitude.” Scout salutes and only for a moment ponders to why she wants him to return. He quickly brushes it aside and flies off with an idea what he can do with the small problem with their boss’s assistance.
He finds Miss Pauling near the town hall and after have gotten her attention again, he asks perhaps a bit too cheeky. “Do you know the meaning of the word fun?”

Miss Pauling is not sure if Scout is trying to make some sort of joke or that question is serious. “Scout what are you—“

“You have been so busy working you haven’t taken time to relax, you know.” Scout interrupts her, quickly adding from the frown along with the emotions of offense coming from her. “Not that there is nothing wrong with it— no, there is something wrong with it.” He stops himself, he cannot agree with her on this one, if he does, then she will just return back to work, back to the flow as Zecora called it. He eyes the frowning blue unicorn, ignoring the emotions he is getting from her. This has to be said, even if it spoils his chance of scoring a date with her. “You work all the time goddammit." He takes flight and tells her in a matter of fact in midair. "Not once have you taken a break and taken the time to notice we are in another world.”

“Scout, I am very aware we are in another world.” Miss Pauling tries annoyed of what Scout is saying, also but confused, this is the first time he is actually trying to get on her bad side. Scout flies closer to her, asking almost demanding. “How much do you know about this world? Do you even know how to use magic?” Wait, what does Scout mean she can use magic? And as if reading her mind, Scout says. “You see? You have no idea you can do it! Miss Pauling, you are the biggest workaholic I have ever met.”
Miss Pauling stares at him for several moments, not sure if this is really Scout standing before her, the Scout she knows would never have said that. She would’ve called him out to be Spy but… well… he’s dead. Taking a deep breath, she opens her mouth to explain to him why she has to work so much, but again he stops her.
“I’m gonna ask Major Mare when you’re off duty, after that; we are going out ice skating.” and Scout takes off before she can stop him, livid but also a bit scared that Scout has pretty much forced her up in a corner with this date. Miss Pauling knows that Major Mare will say she is off duty, so she does not have that as an excuse.

Scout returns not long after, having his iconic grin on his face. “She gave the go ahead, let’s go!” He knows it might be cruel, especially from how horrified Miss Pauling feels about now, but he thinks this will do her good so he gives her little choice to no choice than to go with him. Scout finds Pinkie Pie, knowing she has about everything and so right he is that she has ice-skate boots lying around. “Alright, let’s do this.” He smiles and hands her the ice-skate boots. Miss Pauling doesn't move, but he does not let that stop him from giving her a (hopefully) good time and puts them on her. She pretty much panics when he gets her out on the ice, Scout has to force himself keeping a straight face when she starts clinging to his neck.

With no other option as it’s clear Scout will not back out, Miss Pauling admits. “I- I don’t know how.” She has never had time to try out ice-skating, and it does not sit right she will be doing this while being in a quadrupedal form. “Scout, take me back to solid ground this instant.” She commands but once again is reminded her title as the Administrator assistance has little meaning here when Scout smiles. “I’ll show you how. It’s quite easy when you get the hang of it.” He holds one of his tattered wing over her back which does help her staying more steady on her hooves. She does not let go of his neck, in fact, she tightens her grip when Scout starts to push her, slowly taking them both around the lake.
“S-Scout.” She tries to warn him he is pushing it, but it’s hard making a statement when her voice is shaking.

It’s quite funny how scared Miss Pauling is doing some ice skating when she is barely phased when standing up against some moron she has been commanded to kill. Scout does not want to tease her about it, figures he already is in enough trouble doing this and besides, he does not want to hurt her feelings. “Don’t worry, I won’t let you fall.” He ensures her and will continue helping her with the balance until she feels safer on her hooves. He keeps gently pushing her around the lake and slowly he senses Miss Pauling is calming down, it takes quite a while but she does let go of him and starts trying moving on the ice on her own. All the time Scout makes sure to keep his promise he will not let her fall.
“Doesn't this beat a pile of paperwork?” He asks her with a grin the moment he sensed a spark of enjoyment in her.

After have gotten over the fear and surer on the ice, Miss Pauling must admit this is quite fun. She sends Scout a firm look but unable to stop making a weak smile. “You are in so much trouble when we get back.” Scout winches slightly but that grin never fades. “Worth it.” He says and after a moment of silence. “You pretty good at this.” She smiles, for the first time taking a compliment from him seriously.

After the ice-skating, Miss Pauling is a bit more willing to accept Scout’s suggestions for doing something with him. They ended up having a nice warm drink at a café (Scout was the one who paid) and near evening they strolled through the snow filled park, one Miss Pauling every day goes through to reach Town Hall where she works but only now she takes notices how beautiful the snow is. “Why haven’t I noticed it before?” She wonders out loud, looking up to the smirking Scout she remembers his words before he kidnapped her out on the icy lake. “You don’t have to answer that.” He was right, though. She has been working so much she hasn’t stopped and… well smelled the flowers. Must admit, it has been quite an enjoyable day, very different from what she is used to. “Thanks, it has been… fun.”

Scout is quite proud that he finally made her give him a genuine smile, he sure is going to treasure it. “No problem. We should do this more often— as friends.” He quickly adds to the look she gives him. It’s disappointing but Scout figures Miss Pauling is just out from his reach. He hates to admit defeat, but he is starting to see that it's okay to give up on some fights. “I get it, you’re don’t share my feelings.”

“Scout…”

“But we can still be on good terms right?” He asks hopeful, Miss Pauling is after all the only one in the War Games anywhere near his age. “Have a few friendly chats, go out and blow up another bread monster or just- you know, have some fun?” Thanks to their new pony friends, Scout has realized that having female friends is not so bad as he was lead to believe.

“I… maybe.” Miss Pauling muses hesitantly, yes this day was nice but when they return back to their world she… “I won’t have time for fun when we return. I only have one day off remember?” But if he can accept it then; “As long you don’t pull a stunt of like last time, then… we can hang out as friends that one time every year.” She smiles weakly. It will be good to have someone to hang around with that single off day. Usually, she just read boring magazines that single day.
Scout smiles, seems very happy about this. “Sure, and don’t worry, I won’t do that again— only if you want to fight another bread monster. Wasn't me who made it, that was Solly so you can blame that on him.” Miss Pauling laughs at that remark, must admit that fight was quite something.
Scout takes her back to the hotel she has been calling home the time she has been here, before leaving him, Miss Pauling must admit. “You have matured a lot these past months. Is it because of your ability to sense others emotions?” She asks curiously of that quite positive change in him.

Scout smiles weakly. “Um… yeah, it’s hard to ignore others thoughts about me when negative emotions straight out hurt.“ There is another reason too, that he now has a father to tell him why people get angry at him but also letting him have a comfort he has been missing for years. Sadly, he cannot tell Miss Pauling that. Giving said unicorn a smile. “See ya.” and leaves, unable to keep the big smile off his face.

Miss Pauling returns back to her room, and like many other days in this world, she sits down and lets her mind wander as she does not have piles of paperwork lying around. This time, however, she thinks about how enjoyable this day has been… and reminded how much she has been missing. The smile fades slightly, yes she has been missing a lot, probably more than others. She touches the spot where everyone connected to respawn got the liquid injected, letting out a sigh Miss Pauling turns her gaze out from the window, watching a pretty happy looking Scout trots back to where he lives. She might not have the coming back from dead perk the mercenaries have but after working for Helen for twenty years and barely looking older, Miss Pauling realized that she does have long-life perk Medic spoke about. For years she has been alone on that one, but now… now she is starting to be hopeful that this bunch of mercenaries will share this perk with her. They are the closest she’ll ever come to having friends.

Returning back to Zecora’s hut, Scout is a bit surprised finding Spy there. “I thought you said he wouldn’t return in a week.” He remarks to Zecora, the zebra turns around but before she can say anything, Spy speaks. “I can only sleep on a spider infested floor that many times.” Scout raises a brow of that comment, however quickly forgotten when his father says rather seriously. “Jeremy, could you take a seat?”
Scout does, and from the emotions he is getting from both, what both is about to tell him is both exciting and a bit worrying. His dad exchange a look with Zecora, she nods and Spy turns back to Scout. “There’s no slow way saying this, so I’ll just say it. Jeremy, you’re going to be a big brother.”
Scout blinks, taking a moment to comprehend what his dad has just said. When his mind finally understands, he jumps on his hooves. “Holy freaking what?!” He exclaims, staring at Zecora there nods in confirmation that she is indeed pregnant. Scout jaw drops, he… is he going to be an older brother? And his soon to be siblings will be… ponies?! Scout can’t help but laugh weakly at this. “Wow, you really did it huh?”
His face does not show but Scout can feel that his father is not amused by that joke, Scout doesn't find it funny either, he just… well tried to recover from this mindblow with humor. “So… um, how long before…?”

Well, at least his boy is trying to be a bit serious about this, can’t blame Jeremy for being confused about this news. “Unfortunately you won’t be around when the child is born.” Spy tells Scout, scanning the emotions he is getting from his son, Spy sense emotions of dread coming from him. He thinks he has an idea of why. “You know this won’t change anything between us.” Scout does not answer, so Spy walks over and lifts his chin up, making his now red meet Jeremy’s still grey eyes. “This changes nothing between us.” He repeats, wanting to make sure that Scout knows his soon to be sibling won’t replace him. “All there will is that you won’t be the youngest anymore and has a few more responsibilities.”

Scout smiles weakly, the genuine from his father makes him believe Spy means his words, but he does have his doubts. Things will be very different the next time he returns to Equestria, not sure when but he really wants to return. He has several friends here, plus this world is his father’s home now. “Still weird though.”

“I know, but I figure a pony coming to our world would feel the same.” Spy points out.

Yeah, Ignis probably felt like they did when he came to their world for the first time. So maybe this isn’t so weird if thinking it that way. And speaking about the human world, Scout will have plenty of time to get used to the thought of having a younger sibling, he sure hopes he has a better view on it when he returns.

Author's Note:

I figure with the lessons Scout has learned that he finally could get on better terms with Miss Pauling-- starting with to push back if he sees something wrong.
it's up to you if you say this was a date, Scout won't though. maybe one day he will score that date, or he will find someone else. time will only tell.
oh and he is going to be an older brother, I really look forward to that part

PreviousChapters Next