• Published 2nd Jan 2018
  • 2,898 Views, 80 Comments

Living Darkness - vildtiger

  • ...
9
 80
 2,898

PreviousChapters Next
Eyes for the Sight

Note: I have been quite stressed lately thanks to school, so sorry if there are many grammar mistakes in this chapter.

this happens a couple of hours after the last chapter.

**evening**

Ignis arrived and after Merasmus have explained to him the situation that the mercs have to go back to Equestria in order to get the Elements in order to repair the tree powering the alpha respawn. Ignis agrees to teleport them but a problem has come up. Not about them coming back to the human world, Merasmus will make the recalling spell again. No, Demo is refusing to leave his mother behind.

“That Shadow Pony is still out for her blood and I can’t rest easy knowing she might be killed when I return.” He tells the others and did highly consider taking her with him to Equestria but that world is filled with Shadow Ponies and some large beasts as well, plus he doesn’t think it will be fair for a blind old woman to get used to walking on four legs plus hooves. No, as much as he hates it, she will be safest in this world but they need the power of the elements to get rid of that devil shadow for good. Turning to the wizard, one Demo must say did a good job keeping his mother safe. “Merasmus, don’t get me wrong, I am very grateful for the protection you gave mom, but—“

“I know, even with my magic. I stand no chance against the shadow of Disharmony.” Merasmus interrupts the man friendly, that fight sure was a clear proof of that.

Demo nods and turns back to Eyelander. “Right, what hope does anyone have against something that can turn a sword into a beast?” Speaking of which: “Any chance to revert Eyelander back to its sword form?”
Merasmus shrugs. “I have no idea. Never been good at transfiguration magic, but there is perhaps one issue I can fix.” He points out what’s the biggest problem with Eyelander’s current form. “Your sword’s new form is blind, it cannot see.”

“Other than where our necks are...” Demo remarks under his breath. Eyelander jerks its head at his direction, having a smug grin over its toothy face. The lack of sight, however, was the reason why the former sword didn’t recognize him. “Alright, so we need to give Eyelander eyes so it can see what the bloody hell is going on around it.” Merasmus nods. “That’s correct.”

“Would love to… do the… procedure but…” Medic laughs weakly up to Demo. “technical issues… with my body…” So doing an eye operation has to wait until he has gained more strength.

“There is another way, and well… you might not like it.” Merasmus hates to bring this up but it might come in handy for the both of them. Demo eyes him confused. “What is it, wizard?”
Merasmus summons a small Monoculus in his palm, not surprisingly the scot does not recognize it's connection to him. “It has changed a lot from both Bombinomicon’s magic and been in the pocket dimension I put it in throughout the years but this: is the eye bombinomicon possessed, this is your eye.”

Demo’s eye wide in shock of what he is seeing, that monster eye the wizard has more than once summoned during their Halloween fights has been his eye? That’s quite a mouthful and yet he does get over the surprise rather quickly.
Does still leave a question: “I presume you are not planning on giving it back to me?”
Merasmus lets out an exasperated sigh. “And let bombinomicon get you as its plaything? No, you will have to live without a second eye. Even if you somehow got yourself a new eye, it wouldn’t work.”

“Explains why… the monster eye… keeps appearing every time… I gave him a… new eye.” Medic remarks from his seat, completely ignoring the dumbfounded look the scot gives him. He stopped trying giving Demo an eye on the third try, there is only so many times he wants the infirmary wrecked by a giant eye that shoot projectiles everywhere.

Pushing the doctor’s words aside, Merasmus tells Demo. “I will be able to give your once sword this as it’s eye. It will give it a connection to bombinomicon but I don’t fret it will do more harm.” Adding as he hands him the miniature Monoculus. “I'll let you decide if you wish to give your once eye to the sword or it will have to stay blind.”

Demo takes the eye, weighing it in his hand. It’s quite surreal he’s holding his lost eye, and it is looking right back at him. Well, it’s not like he can reclaim it anymore so… why not put it to good use? Demo turns to face Eyelander, who has its head turned towards him with a rather indifferent look about this whole topic. He kneels down before it. “Do you have any say in this?” He asks the once sword, well aware Eyelander is not one to keep its mouth shut about things and he thinks his blade deserves that much.
Eyelander keeps staring at his direction, it’s tail swings from side to side, leaving marks on the floor from the blades. Then, slowly it nods.
Demo turns back to Merasmus and the wizard tells him. “Put the eye where you wish, the magic will do the rest.” Right then.
Demo grabs Eyelander’s metallic head and pushes the eye right in the middle of its head. Magic surrounds the spot, an eyesocket form and it claims the eye. For a moment Demo watches fascinated the magic connects the eye to Eyelander’s head. When the magic fades, the monoculus attached to its forehead, staring at him. “Feeling better you can see properly now?” He asks the once sword. Eyelander smirks and nods.
Now with that small issue fixed, Demo gets on his feet, claps Eyelander on the head and turns to Ignis, asking the alicorn. “Can you bring mom to team Vanguard?” When the alpha respawn regains its strength, then that team is best suited to keep his mother safe. The alicorn raises a brow but does, fortunately, agree on his request. “As you wish.” and the alicorn adds to Merasmus. “Perhaps you should come with me as well, the tree could need a wizard’s of the night protection.”

“I will go with you, but first I need to finish a brew I promised a spoiled Lux witch.” Merasmus replies and is still quite sullen about that part but he will do it as it will gain him a favor from a Lux, even if this Lux is lazy Aramis. He turns to Demoman. “If you stay for a few days, I can put a spell on a mailbox and by it send you letters on how things are going with your mother.”

“Sounds like… the book… I have with Twilight.” Medic remarks. Heavy joins them and replies to him smiling. “Mailbox between worlds is very good. Keep contact and not worry who read letter.” That Medic can agree on, the book he has with Twilight does not hide what they have written to one another so he really had to be careful who found it as some of the conversations he made with Twilight were quite private.
The two watches Demo nods to Merasmus that he would like this dimension mailbox and so the wizard goes straight to work. Medic turns his gaze back to his own dimension book, opens it and writes to Twilight.
’A heads-up Twilight, I, Heavy, Pyro and Demo will arrive in your world.’ Right underneath the updates Heavy wrote to her about his recovery has been going. She was both angry and scared when Misha told her he almost died for real when he used magic way past his limit. Was worth it though, Medic thinks as he glances up to Misha who has let a bit of a beard grow with that new hair of his. Does quite suit him.
His attention returns back to the book when letters start to arrive.
I look forward to seeing you again, do think it’s best you and Heavy stay at my place. At least until you have fully recovered. Oh and prepare yourself: Pinkie Pie is planning on giving you a welcome party.’ He rolls his eyes at that last sentence.

****

The next couple of days is spent by the mercs on repairing the mansion, Demo spending time with his mother, Merasmus doing his share of spells on the two mailboxes, Ignis is standing watch for the Shadow Pony and Eyelander is keeping bombinomicon entertained and no one is really surprised those two sentient artifacts got quite friendly with one another.
No one really paid the pet hare much mind, that until it suddenly started to speak. She introduced herself as Iclyn and the partner for White Death.

“Why talk now?” Heavy asks, like the others, he’s not really dumbfounded about the fact this hare can talk. Fighting wizards, clones of oneself, being in a world dominated by ponies and defying death daily does that he is quite open-minded to such things. The attic hare turns around to him and she replies with her husky yet feminine voice. “I have to be sure you were the right people. Most other folks would’ve done tests on me for talking.” That is a very legit reason and one Heavy fully understands, does however still not explain why Iclyn decided to speak around them. Fortunately, she enlightens them from that mystery. “I’m here to bring you news about your sniper: he is alive.”
This catches them off guard, everyone fully believed Sniper to be death.

“Where is he?” Miss Pauling asks, Sniper is not the type who abandons the team unless he has a very good reason.

Iclyn’s ears aim right at her while the head only slightly turns. “Because of his severe wounds, White Death brought him to Equestria where the magic of that world saved his life. Your sniper requested to stay there but asked my companion to relay this message; hence why I am here.” She explains the group of people.

“Thanks for the information, lassie.” Demo thanks the hare, she nods and with: “Best of luck.” The talking hare runs off, probably to join her companion. With her gone, Demo asks the others curious about Iclyn. “Ya think she’s from another world?”

“Most likely.” Medic replies, he would’ve heard about talking animals if they were a thing in this world. He wouldn’t mind having a talking bird. “Quite fascinating really… I wouldn’t mind… see her homeworld.” He points out and if they see White Death or his snow hare companion again, he will be sure to ask that question.

Heavy chuckles at Josef wanting to see more worlds than the one they soon will return back to. “Is pony world not enough?” Josef laughs weakly. “If giving…. the chance, I wouldn’t say… no to see a… new world.” He remarks with that glint in his eyes Heavy only sees when something has sparked his curiosity.

****
Late afternoon Merasmus returns from his crypt with a seemly ordinary mailbox and explains as he hands it to Demo. “Whatever gets put in this mailbox will arrive at the one I have. Don’t attempt with living creatures; it will kill them.” Demo nods and after have attached it to his back, he walks over to the sofa where his mother is sitting. “I’ll be leaving now mom.” His mother nods and smiles up to his direction. “You make me and your dad so proud, take your works so diligently. You do remember to include the family tradition in your jobs?”
He simply replies. “Yes, mom.” and kisses her on the forehead. “Take care and remember to write. Mr. Butler will send me the letters.”

“Oh, alright.” She rolls her head as if she only does it because he asks but deep down she is glad to be able writing to her son.

With that, Demo, with Eyelander following him walks over to the others and Heavy, letting Medic use his arm as support nods to Ignis and the alicorn cast his fire spell.

**Equestria**

Inside Everfree Forest, at a small glade having a lake, a certain half-changeling walks out from the darker part of the forest and Scout stops on a rock, staring rather dumbfounded at his new appearance. He does jump when flames suddenly burst out from nowhere and when they disappear, a familiar group of ponies and single dragon lie near the water. Scout stares a few second at the just arrived group before he walks over to them. Noticing the grayish blue pelt of Miss Pauling and feels sorry of what he is certain has happened to her, Scout stops and offers her his hoof. “You alright there Miss Pauling?”

Miss Pauling does not take the offered hoof, she would’ve if she hasn’t been so startled. At first, she didn’t think this ochre with sun yellow back was him, but the voice made it pretty clear and taking an extra look she can see this is indeed Scout. The face is the same and so is the messy hair— but like his body, it has drastically changed color. The before dark red hair is now amber red and the large dents on his legs are completely gone, on his chest is a pale blue like orb that seems to shine in the sun. She can’t help but stare at this huge change on Scout.

Scout is not really surprised by this reaction, hell, he too is quite surprised by his change, hence why he came here to get a better look. “I know I look handsome, no need speak about it” He teases her and that snaps her out from he dumbfounded staring. Miss Pauling backs away, does stumble from being forced to walk on four again. "That's... quite the change." She muses and he can only whole heartly agree.

“Bloody hell, that’s you Scout?” Demo asks greatly surprised at Scout’s new form. “Who threw a bucket of paint on you lad?”

“My changeling side that’s who!” Scout calls back laughing and spread out his now bigger wings, revealing that the undersides are pale blue like the gem on his chest with sky blue spots in the middle and tips of the feathers. Demo laughs at his response and pokes him friendly on the shoulder. “Girls gonna chase you around.” Scout smirks as that has already happened, but well… his smile fades when his brown eyes land on the woman he wishes would return his feelings. Sure she finds him attractive but Scout has learned from his father that looks aren’t everything. His attention on Miss Pauling gets drawn away when Pyro pulls off the mask— which looks both weird and scary on her dragon face— and with it off looks at him, her eyes wide and has a joy that scares Scout.

“So pretty~!”

“Don’t you dare!!” Scout tries to warn her but it’s not like the firebug ever listens to him and he has to take the run for it unless he wants to get crushed by Pyro’s hug. “I’m too handsome to die like this!” He cries and it’s not like the others are any help, they are busier laughing at the whole thing. “Some help here! Mumbles is trying to fricking kill me!”

“Keep running and you won’t die!” Demo calls back at the chase between their speedster and firebug, still chuckling he turns back to the couple. Heavy does have a bit of trouble supporting the doc now he no longer has hands. “Need help with doc?” Heavy eyes him and nods, Demo notices the now scarlet big guy has a strange gleam in his eyes and curious to why he walks past Eyelander (whose look hasn't changed) and steps over to Medic who really struggles to get up on his white hooves.
The doctor’s legs give in and he collapses onto the ground, revealing a pair of white wings with grey tips as they spread out in an attempt to sooth the fall. Demo stops dead in his track, unable to stop staring at the new limbs Medic got from who knows where, can’t beat Scout’s change but still, doc looks like an alicorn with those wings! And taking an extra look, he realizes Medic is now taller than him in his pony form. “Bloody hell…” Medic looks up to him, then glances at his new limps, musing something but the doc’s voice is both too low and it's German so Demo has no idea what the unico— uh alicorn said.

“Demo, help me.”

Heavy’s voice snaps Demo out from his shocked stupor. “Oh right.” Takes him a moment to remember how to use magic and when he does, he levitates Medic up on Heavy’s broad back. “Any idea how you got those wings?” He asks the doctor but the answer has to wait, Medic is too exhausted and looks ready to sleep on Heavy’s back.
Maybe the ponies can explain this, but since he is not known in what he presumes is Everfree forest, he walks over to make Pyro stop trying to kill their speedster so Scout can guide them our from the forest.

**Next day. Ponyville**

Pinkie Pike is at full work over at the Main Hall, she wants to make the welcome party the greatest so their returned friends and partners will know how glad everypony is to see them again.
She has asked Rarity, Applejack, Demo and Engineer to help her with the decoration and what kind of food the other world creatures would like to their “Welcome Back” party.

Meanwhile, Twilight Sparkle returns from the hospital with ways how to help Medic do a full recovery from having almost killed himself by going past his magical limit, she is not as angry as she would’ve been since he did do it to save several lives. So to be honest, she is proud he decided to risk his own life in order to save others. Twilight heads down to Golden Oak’s cellar, the laboratory equipment has been pushed over to the wall, allowing Medic and Heavy; who is working as his caretaker to have a bed and the equipment used to train Medic back to his former strength. “I spoke with the doctor about your insomnia, these should help you get proper sleep.” Twilight explains him and levitates over the bottle with the pills she got from the other doctor pony. Plus a book the doctor pony lent her in case Medic wishes to read up on why his magic is not working properly.

Medic tries to take the two things by magic but quickly stops trying when he gets a nasty headache and he almost cut the book in half. So instead he takes them by mouth and puts them on the nearby desk. “Danke Twilight.” and turns back to her, and since he's not feeling up to explain why he has trouble sleeping. He instead decides to take the subject on the small conversation they made about her new role as royalty through the dimension book. “How are your new studies going?” He asks her.
Twilight shift uncomfortable on her hooves, Misha must’ve sensed she didn’t wish to speak with him around as he quietly leaves the room. Waiting a few more moments, Medic speaks again. “It still troubles you?”
Through their letters to one another by that book, Twilight Sparkle had told him she wasn’t confident if Celestia made the right choice. She had back then changed the subject by writing he has become an alicorn as well but wouldn’t be granted a crown. Medic fully understands why; he has realized that he does not do well with such power. That’s why he wasn’t that surprised to see he got wings when he returned to this world.
He struggles up on his hooves and slowly walks over to the seemly close to tears Twilight. “Tell me… what troubles you.” He commands her, this push is what needed to make her open up.

“I… I don’t think I would be right for this title. I don’t know how to rule!” Twilight cries her worries out after have held them back from what felt like ages. She is afraid of the many mistakes she could do to her future subjects and what about the alicorn magic now coursing through her? She saw what that kind of power did to other unicorns, so who to say it soon won’t happen to her? “What if this alicorn magic corrupts me?” She asks Medic fearfully. “What if it corrupts you? Turn you into that horrible person again?” She can’t bear the thought of her friend loses himself to this power merely because he is her partner.

“It won’t.” Medic replies calmly.

“But what if—“

“It won’t.” Medic repeats, harder this time. Twilight stares confused at him, and he sits down beside the scared uni- well she is— he too is an alicorn now. That’s not the point. Twilight stronger magic won’t change who she is, her good heart won’t let this power go to her head and if it ever does. “I won’t allow it.” He tells his partner- his friend more genuine than he has ever said anything to her before. “You are too good… of a person to fall to my level… I may never fully understand… why I got chosen to be… your partner… but if it means to save you from corruption, then that… is what I will do.” Controlling his wings is way easier than he thought, it almost likes having an extra pair of arms, which does come in handy. Medic folds a wing over her shoulder, meeting her fearful purple eyes with his steel-blue. “I am not worried… this power will affect you for the worse… You have this irritating… ability to inspire people to do… better. Just look at me!” He points at himself by hoof. “I threw out the mad scientist… in exchange for your friendship… and trust me." He smirks down to her. "No one… has ever succeeded that before.” and tries to hide his annoyance that simply talking is tiring him out.

Twilight laughs, for real this time. She is still afraid of the role of royalty given to her will get to her head, but she thinks, in time both she and her friends will get past this new title and return back to being simply friends again. She learns against his shoulder. “Thanks Medic, I really needed to hear that” She muses with a faint smile.

They didn’t notice Heavy has returned, not before his deep voice cut through their cheerful chat. “Party is ready.”
Medic looks up to the door and does wonder if it will be smart to go to a party in his current condition? Twilight seems to be thinking the same as she asks: “You think you can handle it? No offense, but you can barely walk, your immunity to bacteria is busted and don’t get me started on your magic!” She exclaims and accidentally hit him with her own wings.
more amused than annoyed about this, Medic pushed down the feathery limp. “None taken. To be honest… I do not feel up to a party.” He rather wants a nap, but sleeping has been more than hard lately...

“I will tell Pinkie you don’t feel well.” Twilight replies, fully understanding his reason. Medic is still weak and even on a healthy day, he can only stay near Pinkie Pie for a short time.
She leaves and allows Heavy to walk downstairs, figuring the two would like some time alone.

Heavy watches Twilight closes the door before he walks over to Medic who looks like he’s about to fall asleep, no real surprise there, simple things take a lot out from him and there will go a while before Josef has regained his former strength.
Walking over to the bed, Heavy gently touches the white alicorn’s head, he did wake Josef but instead of return the tender touch… the doctor flinches away. This not only hurt Heavy but confuses him as well. “Doctor?”
Medic meets his eyes, regret and something else he does not recognize before Josef lowers his gaze. Heavy is not sure what has caused this but he would like to help. “What is wrong?” He asks.
Medic still refuses to meet his eyes when he weakly speaks. “… I know the… cause… of the… nightmares…” Heavy titles his head, for Medic made it sounds like it is a really bad thing. “That is good, da? Now you know how fix problem.” Those night terrors look to have gotten worse, Heavy might not be a doctor, but he knows that going about with sleep is really bad for one’s health and Josef has barely gotten any since he woke from his coma.

….Yes, he knows how to fix the problem… but if he fixes it… Medic looks at the scarlet horse of the man he fell in love with— if he fixes the source to the nightmares then… he no longer will be able to love Misha…
Life is truly a cruel thing.

Author's Note:

now we finally have all of the mercs back to Equestria, with some changes. but I do hope those changes will not make you quit the story.

PreviousChapters Next