• Published 2nd Jan 2018
  • 2,895 Views, 80 Comments

Living Darkness - vildtiger

  • ...
9
 80
 2,895

PreviousChapters Next
Chains of Friendship

to HB_DS2013: that it is, but I have seen a few drawings about this headcanon on DA a few times.

Note: This happens a week later after the last chapter and the second made from the episode "Keep calm and Flutter on"

"How is going with your houseguest?" Engineer asks when it is his turn to keen an eye on Fluttershy's house guest, she seems to do well enough so that's a plus. Fluttershy turns away from Discord who is making all the furniture fly around in the cottage and smiles to him. "Oh, we're making great progress! Already considering being reformed." and Discord teleports over, now in a fancy light blue suit that looks a tad too familiar. It quickly dawns on Engineer of where he has seen it before and why Spy was so grumpy when he took over the Frenchman's shift.

"Fluttershy is so understanding and kind, of course, I am considering joining the side of goodness." Discord replies.
Engineer has trouble believing it is that simple. "I somewhat doubt that. People don't change in a matter of weeks." He should know.
Discord suddenly appears on his back and snatches his hard-hat, saying. "Oh, don't be so doubtful in dear Fluttershy's abilities, her kindness and understanding can really do wonder." Engineer knows that but this is not an animal she is putting on the right track or someone willing to listen for that matter. Discord is one who is set to stay exactly as he is now: a mischievous being.
"It's not her abilities I doubt." He remarks up to the draconequus.

Fluttershy does understand her friends' reluctances but must admit it is getting tiresome she keep hearing from them that Discord is not willing to reform and just playing her for a fool. At least Engineer is way calmer about Discord than the others were, so maybe. "What about a dinner party this evening?" Both Engineer and Discord turns to her surprised. "Then you can see how much he has improved on his manners." and Discord appears beside Engineer; all gentleman-like. "It will be a night you won't forget."

"I reckon to believe that." Engineer replies and is willing to give Discord the benefit of a doubt. He is sort of used to deal with off the wall and infuriating people. So Discord really has to be cruel to get on his bad side and if that happens, then there is no chance for reforming. "Alright, dinner it is." He nods to Fluttershy, she beams and he leaves to prepare himself for probably the weirdest dinner he is ever going to attend.
He tells this to his partner about this soon to be event and she is more than happy to find some suitable clothing for him but do voice her concerns. "I do not think Discord can be reformed, all he is doing is manipulating Fluttershy to abandoning her true friends." She levitates a suit over, something a tad too fancy for a simple dinner. Engineer declines this choice of clothing, she removes it and walks over to find something else. While she does so, Engineer voices his thoughts on this subject. "You are probably right, but we have to give him a chance. I mean, you girls decided to trust us even after we told you our job."

Rarity eyes her partner from the clothing shelf. "I do appreciate your mentality of 'not judging a book by its cover', but we have already seen what content is inside Discord." She finds something simple and shows it to Engineer. "What about this one, darling?"

"Better." He takes it but must remind her. "I haven't met him at his worst, so what he is going to show me tonight will form the image of who he is to me."

"Let's hope this image won't be a false one…" Rarity muses softly, her partner nods that he hopes the same.

**Evening**

With his son close behind, Engineer heads up to Fluttershy's cottage. He has giving Logan the heads-up that Discord can some wacky magic but he hasn't told his son that Discord is supposed to be evil, he did that in order to make Logan as unbiased as possible so if Discord can't get Logan on his good side then do they really want him around? He sure wouldn't if it means his son to be in constant danger.
Approaching the cottage, the door opens and Discord appears. It's a good thing Spy is not around as the draconequus looks like a Frenchman waiter and that would've surely offended the proud spy.

"Oh, our guests have arrived!" Discord stick out his tongue there turns into a red carpet where he appears at the end, bowing. "We're so delighted that you've come. Please, do come in."

"Thank you kindly." Engineer replies mostly just to be polite and heads inside. Logan is way more hesitant walking on the carpet in fear it will be filled with spit, Discord notices that so he grabs the kid and carries him inside where he puts the quite startled Logan right beside his father. Both stare at the cottage new appearance, it looks like it was taken out from a very abstract painting. That what Engineer thought, his son on the other hand. "Looks like the funhouse we were in last year." Logan remarks and with a more positive attitude about the whole situation starts checking the place out. As hoped, his boy is not wary around Discord as he is.

Fluttershy finds that as a victory that Sungust finds Discord decorations interesting. "Discord made a few suggestions how to make the room more appealing and he set the entire table himself."

Discord appears beside the two guests, pretty much ignoring the colt and reaches out for Engineer. "May I take your..." He clears his throat and tries taking the glowing silver necklace. "jacket, my good sir?" Engineer dodges his paw and steps away, giving him a warning stare while holding his talon over the necklace. "I keep the jacket."

Seems like this is more show than genuine, Engineer thinks from how Discord tried to snatch away the necklace holding his twin Element. So way more on his guard, Engineer takes a seat at the table and not removing his gaze from Discord when the draconequus ready his chair for him. Fortunately, Discord does not try again to take the Element, so that's a plus. What he did notice is that Discord pretty much ignored Logan, and fortunately, his son did not notice. Too busy to have a look around on how weird the cottage inside now looks, which is good as Logan did heritage his smarts and would've picked up on Discord's indifferent towards him if he first notices it.
Discord brings the dinner which is an apple muffin along with baked potatoes.

"Can I get the gravy?" Logan requests, Fluttershy, being nearest to the gravy boat reaches out for it but gets stopped by Discord. "Allow me." Logan eyes wide in wonder when the gravy boat comes to life and it pants like a dog. It runs over to him and excited to see real magic in work Logan grabs the gravy boat to get a better look, even petting it as if it was a real- very weird dog. It whines happy and pours him some gravy before trotting over to his father who smiles at him and way more relaxed than before turns to the gravy boat. "That's one heck of a gravy boat." His father chuckles which do turn into a yelp when it does not pour the gravy on his plate but instead over his chest, burning him. Logan is surprised to see such a sudden change of behavior of the gravy boat and sends a glance at Discord, he sees no regret in the being's eyes and Logan is no longer comfortable around this Discord.

Discord swiftly seek cover behind Fluttershy, chuckling as if he didn't mean this to happen. "Whoops! I'm so sorry!" He apologizes but far from meaning it. He did not see the suspicious look on Fluttershy's face, still fully believing that as long he is on her good side, he is safe from major harm. "Mistakes happen. Here:" He teleports over to this second bearer of Generosity and summons a cloth. "Let me help you removing this." But before he can even attempt on removing both the gravy and the element, the hippogriff steps away and grabs the napkin beside his plate, getting the gravy off on his own. When done Engineer shoots him a glare. "You're really pushing it there, pal." and Discord deflects it as if he has no idea what this one talks about. "Oh, don't get all huffy, my good sir. Simply trying to help you out— oh look!" He gets everyone's attention back to the table. "Dancing candles!" and candles dance around the table. Discord has taken notice that this other bearer will calm down if the kid is happy. So to divert the anger away, he does a bit more out of the dancing candle show and they form all kind of patterns in their dance, ending the show by letting the fish soup tureen splash the soup up in the air like a water fountain.

Logan must admit that was impressive, but he did notice Discord is not as friendly as he first gave out. He's getting a bad vibe around the creature and that makes him unable to fully enjoy the show. "That was… um nice." He muses carefully, watching Discord wary as he is not sure what to expect from this indifferent creature. Does doubt his gut feeling as Fluttershy does look to enjoy Discord's company and she praises him. "He is very good at that, and this is nothing compared to what he usually does around the cottage." That catches Logan's curiosity and he asks her. "It isn't?" Fluttershy shakes her head.

"Dear Fluttershy requested I toned down with you around." Discord replies in a bored tone, eyeing Engineer for the perfect opening.

"Oh Discord, can you do the water light show again?" Fluttershy asks, thinking Sungust might like that one.

There isn't one yet, so he has to endure entertaining this colt. Discord snaps his lion paw and the water outside levitates inside. It starts changing colors while floating around. The nervous kid stares at it in wonder, does break for a second when he notices a fish in one of the bobbles and bit to Discord's surprise the kid's fear is suddenly all gone and starts talking to Fluttershy about the fish in such an excited manner it's hard to believe it's the same kid.

"Hey, is it an platy?"

Fluttershy nods, smiling to the colt. "It is, I have several of them in my pond. They were one of the first fish I got." And so happy he has gotten more comfortable around Discord, even Engineer has stopped being so tense.

"Cool! Are they tricky to care for?" Logan asks and reaches his talon up to the fish in the flying water bobble.

"Oh not at all." Fluttershy shakes her head, explaining both to Sungust but also to his father in case they decide to get fish as pets. "They are very good to beginners and they thrive with pretty much any other feshwater fish."

Discord spotted an opening but has forgotten all about the silver necklace from this new sense he is feeling by watching Fluttershy chat with the kid. He has never seen Fluttershy like this before, she has a certain twinkle in her eyes and that's just from talking about a stupid fish with a stupid colt. For some reason, that enrages him and his magic reacts on it. One of the water bobbles hurls into the colt, throwing him to the floor, he does not get up, looks like he went into shock. Fluttershy is all horrified. "Sungust!" She cries and along with Engineer hurries over to the child.
"Whoopsie, my bad." Discord chuckles and pretends he didn't mean this to happen. "I do at times lose…" He never gets to finish the sentence, for when he checks the room he finds himself alone in the cottage. Blinking, Discord checks outside and find Fluttershy sitting beside the second bearer of Generosity, comforting the crying child there hugs the adult hippogriff as if his life depended on it. "Oh come on, it was just a bit of water." Discord grumbles on how protective they have become, but from both of not wanting to approach this second bearer as he still remembers the hit he took from the partner of the element of Laughter but being curious what they are talking about, Discord makes one of his ears fly over so he can eardrop on this conversation.

"I'm sorry about this." Fluttershy apologizes, both to the father but mostly the son. "Maybe he just needs more time." Engineer lets out a sigh, a sigh she did not like one bit. "Fluttershy… I brought my son here so he could be safe. Maybe you can reform Discord, but with how he was more interested in stealing this:" He gestures at the silver necklace. "Than trying to show his good side… I can't trust someone like that and if you are determent to let Discord stay. Then I am sorry but my son comes first." He picks up his still sobbing and fearful son. "I won't allow him near you with Discord around."
Fluttershy is shocked beyond belief to hear this, in the short time she has known Sungust it has been nothing but enjoyable times. She wants to argue, convince Engineer that Discord is not that bad but… seeing the terrified look in Sungust's eyes, Fluttershy realizes that Engineer has every right to do this. It's not out of spite, it's for his son's sake. "I understand…" She muses and drops her head in sadness.

"...I'm sorry." Engineer apologizes and truly means it, he hates to push Fluttershy away like this. She is a friend, and one Logan enjoys spending time with but… Logan safety comes first.

Engineer leaves with the still in tears Sungust, watching them and the consequence of Discord's behavior— This hasn't been the first time he bullied her friends but now he did it against an innocent foal. Fluttershy realizes if this keeps going, then Discord will push her friends away and that is the last thing she wants. She walks back to the cottage and from how he welcomes her back as if this wasn't a big deal.
It enrages her.

"Well, this went quite well, considering your guests didn't even stick around for dessert." Discord summons the cake. "and you have worked so hard—" "They left all because of you!" Fluttershy snaps, catching him by surprise but he quickly recovers and snorts apprehensive. "Oh, it's hardly my fault the kid couldn't handle a bit of water, he will be up and causing trouble in no time." He offers her the cake. "So what about the two of us enjoy the rest of the evening? Can't waste the—" and to his bigger surprise, she kicks the cake she worked so hard on away.

"No! No more Discord!" Fluttershy shouts at him, this is the last straw for her to stick up to him. "I tried to give you the benefit of a doubt, I tried to be your friend but if it means abandoning my other friends for your sake; that is crossing the line!"

Hold up, what did she just say? "You consider me as your friend?" Discord asks and is more than a little dumbfounded about Fluttershy's words.

"Yes, you are quite fun with that chaos magic of yours." Fluttershy admits softly, does change into a harder tone. "But friendship is a two-way relationship…" and again Discord misses the point what it means to be friends, he teleports them outside and into the boat where he fishes after her pet fish. "Then in a sign of our friendship, let us start with the promise not to turn the other into stone." Fluttershy flies out from the boat. "Discord! You are not listening to me!"She cries frustrated at his continuing ignorant behavior.

"Of course I am listening to you, and you are doing an awful lot of yelling lately." Discord replies and cannot see what got her so worked up, he thought she liked his antics.

"You are not! All you hear is what you want to hear!" Fluttershy shouts, she points to the route leading to Ponyville. "I said I wanted to be your friend but from how you are bullying my other friends, then I want nothing to do with you and no funny antics will change that!" This caught Discord's full attention. Good, for she is not done with him. "I thought you were trying, but what happened to young Sungust." She can't stop her tears from how bad she feels that sweet colt got hurt because she believed Discord was willing to be reformed. "You really hurt him, Discord... And because of you, I won't be able to see him again…"

Discord snorts and moves to snap his fingers. "If that's what you worry about, allow me to bring him back."

"And allow you to harm him further?" Fluttershy hits his eagle hand, stopping him from doing his magic. "I won't allow it." And since Discord has forced her hoof to choose, she points to the outside world. "You won Discord, I didn't succeed in reforming you. In a sign of what little friendship we had, I will ask my friends not to hunt you down." Discord stares at her dumbfounded but she is done with him and he shouldn't consider this mercy as a free pass to spread his chaos again. "But if you start spreading your chaos again, I won't hesitate to use my Element against you. Goodbye Discord." She flies off as she seriously needs to be with her true friends right now.

…. He has no words for this, Fluttershy considered him a friend but not anymore… yeah sure he was after her friends but it wasn't what broke it. It was when he hurt that colt. He snorts annoyed. "Why should I care?" He flies up from the boat, shouting out to the world. "I'm Discord, the master of chaos! I can do whatever I want!" Oh wait, he can't. Fluttershy did warn him that if he did then they will hunt him down, no matter he can always go to a place where they can't find him.

"No one to witness the work from the last spirit of chaos."

Of all times his master decides to speak, the Shadow of Chaos has to be cryptic. "Who asked you anyway?" He demands the Shadow walking calmly around the pond. "I told you this was a waste of time."

"Far from it our child." The Shadow in form of a draconequus replies and asks its creation of the choice he now stands with. "Will you spread chaos, knowing you never will fill the hole Kindness filled? Or stay in these chains of friendship?"
Discord does not answer but the Shadow draconequus does already know the answer and disappears in a cluster of black gems.

Discord fists his hands, but unable to keep his tears back. He wants to leave and do whatever he wants but that will only make this hole he has been dealing with ever since the Great Purge gets worse. It's not his own kind but he will be alone once again and not even revenge on pony kind can make him feel better. If he wants the pain to stop, he has to let himself get chained by his own free will. He hates it, more so when it seems that is what his creators want. "What did I do to deserve such punishment from you?" He growls but like many other times, Disharmony does not reply to him.
Discord teleports to Ponyville, appearing right before Fluttershy who is currently surrounded by her friends. Seeing him they all prepare themselves for a fight but he stops them by admitting "I would love to do things my way, but..." He eyes Fluttershy and watching her cry like this gives him a pain he has only felt once but that was a very, very long time ago. He sighs. "Fluttershy, you're wrong, I didn't win. You did for… I guess when you're friends, you can't always have things exactly your way all the time?" He smiles weakly to her.

Fluttershy eyes wide in surprise but from both seeing and hearing how genuine he is, it is clear he much rather want her friendship than spread his chaos. She steps away from her friends and smiles up to him. "Yes, a good friendship is about compromise. I will accept you doing a bit of chaos if you give my friends some slack."

Discord nods slowly and shrugs with a weak smile. "I… guess I can do that." He glances to a shadowy corner and notices a Shadow Pony, to his surprise and confusion, it nods before disappearing back into the black crystals… since when did Disharmony support the ideals of friendship?

**far away, hight up on a frozen mountain**

Inside a ruin that has been kept mostly intact thanks to the frozen weather caused by the Windigoes. One of the spirits of winter stops and turns its icy white eyes towards the ruin, sensing a change from the being kept prison inside.
Inside the deepest dungeon, kept in place by chains glowing with ancient and powerful magic for millennia. However, an old pact has now been broken and the magic fades from the chains. The being, stocky in built around the torso, the spikes around the neck clangs together as this amalgamation of many animals moves from the sense the chains are losing their strength. This creature opens its three snake looking eyes, for a moment it sits completely still, then aggressively moves its hoofed right hand and the chain breaks as if it was out of glass. The chains holding the two large wings do the same and the wings hit the floor, supporting the now free creature along with the lion and horse legs, the reptile and hoofed arms hover over the ground, lifed closer to the spiked neck as the creature moves. A female chuckle leaves the creature's throat and she looks out of the window where the Windigoes are flying around.
Attracted to her very namesake. "About time you let me free." She speaks to the shadow dot she can skim in the blizzard.

Author's Note:

and this is my take on how Discord reform, as you can see I deleted the beaver-going-mental issue as I found it a tad too much "betting everything on one action" and an introduction to a new OC, you will see more to her in an upcoming flashback.

PreviousChapters Next