• Published 16th Dec 2017
  • 611 Views, 9 Comments

Twilight in the Sky with Sparkles - Prince Paladin



You have one chance to impress Twilight Sparkle, and you intend to make it count.

  • ...
3
 9
 611

The walk home

Author's Note:

WARNING: The following chapter contains spoilers for the game Xenoblade Chronicles X. I felt the need to warn you about that, but honestly, the game's plot isn't much anyway, and it's all to make a point. TBH, one of the "spoilers" has so many hints dropped beforehand I doubt it even counts as a twist. But that's beside the point.

If none of this bothers you, then enjoy the conclusion!

Walking down the hill was quieter and tenser than you expected. Where did things go wrong? you thought. I mean, I impressed her to the point of... oh no. Should I not have let her done that!?

"So, uh..." you say, desperate to break the silence. "How was... that?"

Twilight doesn't answer.

"...did I do something, or..."

"Oh!" Twilight exclaimed, realizing what was going on, and looking at you apologetically. "No no, the date was great. Fantastic." She then turned away again. "...I was just thinking, is all."

"About what? Or is it something I can understand."

Let's find out... she thinks before turning back to you. "The date was fantastic. It's just... should we really be doing this? I know different species of Equestria sometimes fall in love, but well... don't take this the wrong way, but you're not really from Equestria. And..." She looks away again. "...I'll admit, I've fallen for a human before. Then, when he wasn't himself, he hurt me. Oh, we're still friends, it's just... it wasn't the same after that."

"Well, for what it's worth, mind control is something I try to avoid."

She looked back at you. "When did I mention mind control?"

"...I'll tell you later." You look off yourself. One thing she was right about, the species barrier could be a problem. But after thinking about the issue all day, you think you've finally found an answer. "...can I say something that may involve a lot of nerd talk?"

"You're asking me?"

"It's not that kind of nerd talk. More like... the kind of stuff you'd find in Spike's comic books." You rub the back of your head, hoping that you're not digging a hole for yourself.

Twilight laughed a little, but not in a mean way. "Oh, no..." she said, still laughing.

"I promise, it's relevant."

"Okay, fine!" she said, her laugh dying down a little as she said it so she could listen. "You may speak."

"Thank you. Where I come from, there's this video game called Xenoblade Chronicles X."

"You weren't kidding when you said it would sound like one of Spike's comics..." she said with a smirk, genuinely interested in what you had to say. Even if what you were talking about didn't exactly appeal to her typical tastes.

"Hear me out... It's about humanity trying to make a new home for themselves after Earth is destroyed, but the relevant part is about halfway through, when we learn that only the player but every human on the planet is actually a robot being remotely controlled. We're told that our actual human bodies are waiting in a plot device known as the Lifehold Core, but towards the end, we learn that this whole time our consciousnesses were stored on a computer, waiting to be put into new bodies grown biologically."

You knew you were using some terms completely foreign to Equestria, but Twilight lived through the first two Equestria Girls movies, and you saw her do it. You had faith she could follow along.

"One of the characters asks if this is going too far." you continue. "If humanity is even... human anymore. Say what you will about the plot and writing, but it does get you thinking about some deep questions. The game doesn't tell us an answer, at least not a satisfying one, but it does give one nonetheless. After all, when you think about it, for the whole game we've been playing not as a robot, but as a consciousness driving a robot. It's an excellent reminder that if you believe in souls, that's what we are, not what we have. What we have are bodies. I can explain the concept further, but... it honestly gets a bit morbid."

"No, it's fine." Twilight says with a thoughtful look on her face. "I understand what you're saying. Honestly, I'm surprised all of this could come from something like that."

"Yeah. It's something that's also unintentionally reinforced with the game's real selling point: piloting giant robots."

"There's the camp I've been expecting..." Twilight says with a little laugh.

"My point is..." you say with a bit of an eye roll. "that at the end of the day, we're all souls in bodies. You told us all about your time in Canterlot High, did you act any different when you were a human?"

"Not really..." she said with a smile, remembering her time with her friends.

"Well, there you go. I don't know what nature has to say about a pony loving a human or vice versa. All I know is that I really like you. And hey, if nature doesn't approve, there's always magic! I'd be more than willing to swap teams, it'd be nice to fit into this town for once anyway."

"Yeah..." she said, still apparently thinking about something.

"...well, that's enough video game philosophy for one night. There's the castle, anyway."

"Oh! Yeah, we probably should..."

"Yeah... well, have a good night." you say, starting to walk away.

"You too..." Twilight said, also starting to walk to her home before she stops and turns around. "...hey, Anon?"

You turn around to look her way. "Yeah?"

She gave you a warm smile. "You mind if next time we keep things simple with a library date?"

Incredibly relieved, you returned her smile and nodded. "Sure thing. Well, see you tomorrow."

"Yeah. See you then."

You both return to your homes incredibly happy, and significantly more confident in your relationship and your friendship.

Until then, Altair.

See you then, Vega.

Comments ( 7 )

I love how the title is a reference to Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds. Are you a Beatles fan by chance?

8614252
No, just saw an opportunity for a pun.

This was pretty good, even if not much really happened. A follow-up would be nice.

8614849
I'll think about it. If I come up with any ideas, I'll see how they look written down, but for now, this is a one off practice story. But I will say that I do have something else in the works. Something with a very... different tone (no, not set in the same universe).

This is good. Its well written. Spelling and grammar are all good,
I do feel like the ending could have been a little better, Even if it just ended with a peck on the cheek,
The way its written at the moment feels like its set up for another chapter.

Still I enjoyed it and look forward to reading more from you. Well done. :twilightsmile:

Cute. :rainbowkiss:
Needs a sequel.

8688518

8688524

Actually, it was just a one off written for the sake of practice. If I have any ideas for a sequel, I'll write them, but believe it or not, my real specialty is in action drama. At least as far as fanfiction goes. I've already got an entire trilogy planned, but given the climactic nature of all of them, I'll hold off until Season 9 of the show. The supposed finale (Anyone else get a hollow pang in their heart? :fluttershysad:). Regardless, I appreciate the feedback. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment