• Published 30th Nov 2017
  • 874 Views, 105 Comments

Past Conditional: More Speedfics and Drabbles by Present Perfect - PresentPerfect



Another collection of speedfics and other stuff. Most of it is really goofy.

  • ...
2
 105
 874

A Step Backward

A Step Backward
by Present Perfect

"I'll do it."

Gilda's words broke the silence that had reigned just prior to her speaking. It was a silence that had filled the little room, seeping into the cushions upon which they sat. Even the fireplace had seemed to crackle a little less loudly after Celestia had said, "I knew you'd see it my way."

Her smirk had enraged the griffon, had made her reconsider the request that had been put on the table before her with the china tea set. Yet, as much pain as she would risk in proceeding with Celestia's task, Gilda had had to admit the rewards would be good.

"You got a good point there. I break ties with Dash, then I got nothing holding me to Equestria, or ponies. They'd..." She had stroked a pair of claws along the length of her beak. "Yeah, that would work."

Celestia had given her the gravest of looks, delving deep into the griffon's psyche. She had known what buttons she had pressed as she had said, "Think about how things are between our nations."

Celestia had given Gilda a moment to ponder before she had added, "Think about how your life has progressed. Do you think they'd be happy to see you?"

"I don't get it," Gilda had said. "I mean, if I'm just gonna be able to see them anyway, then why all of this?"

"I am very serious," Celestia had said, steepling her hooves and leaning against the table. "And lest you think I am withholding them from you until completion of this task, the way current negotiations are proceeding, I have every faith that you will be able to see them again, and soon."

Gilda had been taken aback. "You... You're not serious."

"How about seeing your family again?" Celestia's eyes had betrayed the smirk she was withholding.

Growing quickly irritated by the conversation, Gilda had spat, "So what's so freaking important that you'd ask me to throw that away, huh?"

Celestia had nodded. "My point exactly."

"I... yeah." A faint red glow had suffused the feathers on Gilda's cheeks. "Maybe. Once. But she didn't go in for that kinda thing." There had been a sound, perhaps a sigh or a grunt of disgust. It had been hard to tell. "I figured that out after spending enough time with her. Too many influences, y'know. She was always so caught up with the Wonderbolts that she didn't notice folks around her sometimes or something."

"You loved her." Celestia's bold pronouncement had hung in the air as a series of emotional tics had flooded Gilda's face.

"I really don't like the sound of that," Gilda had scoffed. "You know Dash is my only friend, right? Well, only pony friend," she had added with hesitation. "Back in Junior Speedsters, she was the only pony who wanted anything to do with me. I don't care what treaties or junk our countries have, it's not easy being a predator in a land full of prey." She had gestured at her palm with one talon for emphasis. "But she made friends with me, brought me out of my shell and stuff. We were... inseparable."

"Simply meeting her with intent to end your friendship will not be enough," Celestia had warned. "It sounds terrible, but you must damage her in a way that only you could. This must be utterly sincere for it to work."

Gilda had frowned. "So you need me to... what, just go and fling mud in her face? She's kind of an easygoing pony, Princess. She can laugh off a lot."

"Rainbow Dash is the Element of Loyalty," Celestia had explained, "and while she is truly one of the most loyal ponies I have ever met, her loyalty is currently spread thin. Too many influences are pulling at her. She has, in short, too much to be loyal to, and I..." Celestia had closed her eyes for a moment, breathing. "Equestria needs her to be loyal to her friends above all."

"What's this got to do with Dash?" Gilda's fists had betrayed the intensity of her suspicions.

"The Bearers of the Elements of Harmony are all very kind, wonderful ponies," Celestia had said good-naturedly. "I consider one of them a close personal friend. But because I know Twilight, and because I've seen her interactions with her new friends, I understand that, though they are indeed the right ponies to bear the Elements, they are all very..." Celestia had seemed to test the air for the right word. "...Untested. They are unused to hardship and still getting used to being around one another. I fear that, without focus, they will not be able to stand up again, together, when Equestria needs them most."

Gilda had been taken aback. "Why would you even ask me to do something like that?"

"Do you have any idea what this means to Equestria?" Celestia had asked plainly, then added, "To the entire world?"

"Do you have any idea what she means to me?" Gilda had snarled.

Celestia had closed her eyes, breathing in deeply before intoning, "I need you to end your friendship with Rainbow Dash."


"It's done."

Gilda walked into the room, the same cozy quarters and cathedral-like air in which she had first met with the pony Princess two weeks prior. Only this time, she was interrupting a conversation. The creature with whom Celestia had been speaking hissed like a snake, rearing back on legs that looked too filled with holes to support its weight.

Celestia muttered something about her guards, then turned on her most beatific of smiles.

"How do you feel?"

Gilda turned her head away from the Princess. "I don't wanna think about that right now. When can I see them?"

"According to my advisors," Celestia said, "trade is set to begin within the week. You may leave for your homeland at any time, with my blessing and any assistance I can offer."

A scowl creased Gilda's beak. The black and green creature settled back down onto its cushion, giving her a similar look and rattling its insect-like wings.

"I don't want your help," Gilda said, addressing the floor. "In fact, I hope I never see you again."

With that, she lifted her head, thrusting her chest out. Celestia's expression did not change. Turning, Gilda flicked her tail and strode out of the chamber. Her wings seemed to be spread, though they were neatly tucked at her sides. It would, she thought, be good to go home again.

Back in the sitting room, Celestia turned her smile to her guest.

"If you had any doubts about my word..."

"All right, all right." The scowl returned, only less sharp. "I'll do what you ask. But so help me, Celestia, if there is any trick..."

"No tricks," Celestia said, stirring her tea. "I will warn you that I cannot account for all the variables."

"Say no more." The changeling stood and stretched. "I shall spend the intervening time planning. You may leave everything in my hooves."

A flash of green, and a normal unicorn stood across from Celestia. She smirked, then turned and walked through the door after Gilda.

Celestia closed her eyes. "Soon, my little ponies... You'll be ready..."

Author's Note:

This is maybe the worst story I've ever written, at least for this site. There's a reason I took it down in shame years ago. It was written for the April 2013 EQG Pre-Reader Secret Santa Prompt Exchange. I don't know whose prompt I got, or even what it was. Also lost to time is why I thought writing a story in reverse chronological order was a good idea. What a shitty present to give someone. D: Ugh. Well, it's back for posterity's sake, I guess.