• Published 30th Nov 2017
  • 874 Views, 105 Comments

Past Conditional: More Speedfics and Drabbles by Present Perfect - PresentPerfect



Another collection of speedfics and other stuff. Most of it is really goofy.

  • ...
2
 105
 874

And They Do Fusion Dances

And They Do Fusion Dances
by Present Perfect

Applejack raised her eyebrow in challenge. "Okay, Rainbow, let's you 'n me do this."

Rainbow was taken aback. "What? Why us?"

The amount of effort Applejack was using to keep from rolling her eyes was palpable.

"Because, ain't no way you nor I are gonna let anypony else get away with doin' it with us." She tipped her hat up and gave Dash a sly grin. "C'mon, you know you wanna try it."

"Well, when you put it that way..." Rainbow snorted. "Yeah, fine. Let's do it, AJ."

Twilight took down some notes. Pinkie, carefree, bounced in the back. Rarity looked as though she were about to say something but thought better of it. Fluttershy watched, impassive. Apple Bloom and her friends were quite the opposite, all but letting off sparks in their excitement.

Dash and AJ lined up alongside one another on opposite sides of the meadow. They stood on their hind legs, front legs stuck out to their sides.

Scooting closer and lifting their legs above them, they shouted, "Fu!"

They pointed their hooves at one another, leaning in so they just touched. "Sion!"

They pointed away from each other, then back, and touched the tops of their heads. "HA!"

There was a flash of light bright enough that everypony present had to shield their eyes. When it cleared, Applejack and Rainbow Dash were gone. Those gathered gasped in astonishment.

In their place was a pegasus mare, a good head taller than Big Macintosh and built equally solid. Her coat was a sleek, dusty blue-grey, her mane and tail a rainbow of color with a thick blond riot down the middle. On her flank was a trio of rainbow-striped apples.

She spread her wings, each as long as her own body, and looked from one to the other. Then she started laughing.

"Whoo, hoo-hoo, ho ho ha ha ha!" It was a deep, full belly laugh, the voice rich and energetic.

The mare kicked off the ground, and the other ponies could swear they felt the earth shake. They watched her soar into the sky, higher than the tallest peak in Canterlot before she had to flap once. A sparkling rainbow contrail tracing her wake. She flew loops and spirals, crossing back and forth over the meadow. Pinkie Pie and the Crusaders hooted and cheered at the display of aerobatics.

When the mare landed, the ground actually did shake. She was winded, but it was from excitement, not exertion.

"Whoops! Guess I don't know my own strength!" Her voice held the scratchy backdrop of Rainbow Dash's, but the timbre and cadence were all Applejack. "I've never felt so alive in my whole life! You all have to try this!"

"Rainbow Dash, Applejack," said Fluttershy, breathless, "you're amazing!"

The fused mare snorted. "I'm not either of those, sugarcube. I'm Zap Apple!" She gave Fluttershy a good-natured wink. "Honestly, I thought it'd be pretty obvious."

Rarity scoffed. "What's obvious is that the two of you are no less barbaric together than you are apart." She offered her hoof to Fluttershy. "Fluttershy, dear, if you would be willing to join me, I would like to show this newly formed ruffian how fusion is done!"

"O-oh!" Fluttershy's cheeks colored, and she shrank back just a little. "Me? Really?"

"Yes, darling." Softening, Rarity gave her a patient smile. "I cannot think of a better pony to try this with."

"Okay." Fluttershy swallowed and took Rarity's hoof. "If you're sure..."

"Sure I'm sure."

Rarity bowed to Fluttershy, who bowed in return. Together, they began to dance to some tune, no doubt classical, in Rarity's mind. First in, then out, then around one another, until all present felt they, too, could hear the music.

The dance ended with Fluttershy twirling into Rarity's arms. As the pair touched, they melded together, colors interweaving. Again, the light grew so bright that the others had to shield their eyes.

When they looked again, every jaw dropped, even Zap Apple's.

Standing before them was an alicorn as tall as Celestia, yet more graceful, even standing still. There was more beauty in her right forehoof than in all the fashion world combined. Her mane was long and luxurious, a soft, pearlescent magenta. Her coat was the pale yellow of new daffodils in spring. Her cutie was three delicate crystal butterflies.

Songbirds flocked around her, singing her praises. Ribbons of finest silk swept over her, unbidden, as though to shield her perfection from the eyes of mortals, lest they be struck dead in an instant.

"That is how one fuses properly," she said, her voice delicate, melodious, soft and confident. She gazed upon the others with deep aquamarine eyes under long, dark lashes. "Call me Chastity."

"That was amazing," Twilight choked.

As Chastity settled down on the ground to bask in the adulation of the various woodland creatures surrounding her and Zap Apple made a mighty effort to pick her jaw up off the ground, Pinkie Pie bounced around Twilight.

"Do me next!" she shouted. "You and me, you and me!"

"Nooo, no, Pinkie," said Twilight quickly. "As much as I'm impressed by these demonstrations, all my research tells me an alicorn shouldn't be involved in pony fusion. The energies released alone could be catastrophic, not to mention the amount of power the fusion could wield!"

"Awww!" Pinkie pouted. "But I wanna fuse, too, and you're the only one left!"

"What if'n we stepped it up a notch?" asked Zap Apple, drawing Twilight's attention. The large pegasus gave a meaningful look to Chastity, who ignored her with far more dignity than should have been possible for one pony to muster.

"Ohhh, no no no no no no." Twilight shook her head, stepping in between the two fused ponies. "What did I just say about alicorns? Rarity and Fluttershy's fusion--"

"Chastity, dear."

"Er, Chastity, might not be a true alicorn, but she's close enough to be concerning." Twilight lifted her papers into the air, shaking them at the pegasus. "We haven't even begun to document your new abilities yet!"

There was the sound of giggling and a bright flash of light.

"Gahh!" yelled Twilight and Zap.

Across the clearing stood an earth pony mare, her coat bright orange. Her mane, hot pink with maroon stripes, poofed out over the crest of her head in a springy mohawk. Her cutie mark was a balloon-shaped shield with a rainbow background and three apple-shaped balloons in bronze.

"It worked!" she cried, jumping up and down. Her voice was youthful, like a filly on the cusp of marehood, with an earthy accent like Zap Apple's. "This is the coolest thing I have literally ever done in my life!"

"No!" shouted Zap. "That's my little sister! That... Twilight, change her back!"

"No way!" cried the new mare, popping up between them. "Y'all can't keep Apple Pie down like that! This is too great! And so is this! And that! And that and that and that..."

She popped up around the meadow, now behind a tree, now in the middle of the air, now in Chastity's mane. Each time she moved, she shrank to a point of light, blipping out of existence in a heartbeat before reappearing somewhere else. The alicorn let out a pleasant sigh.

Zap Apple pulled at her face. "This is just weird!"

"Oh, let her have her fun," said Chastity to the rare dragonfly resting on her outstretched hoof. Twilight was pretty sure that species had been extinct a few minutes ago.

Apple Pie gasped. "Oh my gosh! I have to throw a party! A fusion party! A fusion party that will help everypony learn how to fuse! It's gonna be epic!"

"Can you help us?" asked Scootaloo, running up to her alongside Sweetie Belle.

Apple Pie gave them the biggest grin a pony had ever grinned in the history of grins. "Can I?"

"No no no," said Twilight, trying desperately to interpose herself. "That's enough fusing for one day! It's time for us to--"

But Apple Pie had already appeared in between Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, pulling them together and whispering in their ears. The fillies' grins grew wider by the moment. When at last they were done, the pair cheered, then spun round each other, chanting something like, "Yadadadadada!"

"Why do I even bother?" Twilight groaned, grinding her teeth.

Chastity waved a hoof at Twilight, and the motion alone calmed her nerves. "Be at ease, darling," she said magnanimously.

And Twilight was at ease.

Which was good, because the sight of the second alicorn to appear in a flash of light that day likely would have driven her over the edge.

The new mare was only about as tall as Twilight herself and full of the awkward gangliness of adolescence. Her coat was like peach fuzz, her wings and horn unimpressive but strong and functional. Her mane and tail were tangled rat's nests of curly purples, and her cutie mark was a double shield cast in silver, emblazoned with a pair of sixteenth notes made out of lightning bolts.

"This is so awesome!" she yelled, rolling around on the grass and laughing. Her voice broke and scratched like a warped record.

Apple Pie swept her up in a tight bear hug. "More like you're awesome! This is the best day ever! What's your name?"

"Swingset!" shouted the mare, the words tumbling out at a mile a minute. "Wait, no, no, it's Scootie Belle! Wait, no, that's dumb."

She stuck her tongue out the side of her mouth. "Um, um, wait, wait, wait!" She raised her left hoof, as though signaling a teacher to call on her. "I know! I'm Singalong!"

"Singalong!" cried Apple Pie. "Let's go play! Tag, you're it!"

The two took off running, peals of laughter following in their wake.

"Wait, come back!" Twilight cried, hoof outstretched in futility.

"Don't worry, Twilight," said Zap Apple, snorting and lifting off the ground with a single beat of her wings. The downdraft blew some of Chastity's animals off their paws. "I'll keep an eye on 'em. And maybe kick a few keisters while I'm at it..." And she took off after the other fusions with a roar of thunder.

Twilight gazed down, sorrowful, at her notes. She hadn't written anything down in the last five minutes. She wasn't even sure she could collect her thoughts well enough to.

"Why is everypony I know completely crazy?" she shouted.

Chastity smiled placidly.

"They will learn."

Author's Note:

Somewhere in the middle of watching Steven Universe, I had the desire to apply the idea of gem fusion to ponies, but I could never figure out a story to put it in. So, after having something of a waking dream this morning, I made this. Consider it a proof of concept, with zero plot. :B