• Published 19th Sep 2017
  • 2,198 Views, 62 Comments

Soarin's New Wings - Foal Star



During a freak accident, Soarin's wings were changed into beautiful butterfly wings and now he has to deal with accepting his loss, and learn to use his new wings.

  • ...
5
 62
 2,198

Chapter 6: The Trial

Soarin awoke the next morning in bed, yawning as he stretched while his butterfly wings unfurled themselves. Quickly freeing himself from the beds confines, he slowly made his way through the still dark library. He stumbled into the bathroom and looked upon his face, finding that much to his chagrin, the dried green mask still attached. The stallion began cleaning off his mask and looked up again, blinking at how feminine he appeared,with curlers in his mane and the green mask painted on his face.

The sight brought forth a bubble of anger inside of him, reminding the stallion of his situation, almost like his own reflection was openly mocking him now. With a growl, he was quick to pull out the curlers before washing his face clean of the mask. Once it was mostly gone, he gave his face another look, rubbing his hoof across his exposed skin to rub away the remaining bits of mask. However, when his hoof made contact with his exposed face, he was surprised by the sensation it gave off.

”Wow, it’s so soft. Didn’t think it could be…..”

His words quickly died with a squeak at the sound of his voice, now significantly softer and less guttural than before. He put a hoof to his throat gulping, “My voice..it..it can’t be.” He tried coughing and clearing out his throat before speaking again.”Hello?” He could only groan in frustration when he was met with the same result.

He groaned, stomping a hoof. “So now my voice has changed to!? I can’t sound like this before the trial. Between my mane, my wings and this voice, everypony there will be too busy laughing at me to even see my routine!”

His brief emotional breakdown/rant was quickly interrupted by the door opening, revealing Spike entering the bathroom. “Oh, hey Soarin, good morning.” Soarin squealed jumping bad and tumbling over with his mane falling over his face. “Sp..Spike what are you doing here!?”

He pouted crossing his claws, “Just using the bathroom like any pony wou…”

Soarin practically gulped, having just realized the latest change he’d undergone and had just quite literally blabbed it to Spike, who was still trying to process what he just heard.

“Uh, Soarin. Are you feeling okay, cause your voice sounds kind of...off.”

Soarin just gave a uncomfortable smile, before shaking his head in a no like gesture. Spike eyed him and asked, “Are you sure, I can get Twilight if you want.”

He shook his head again and waved his hooves affirmatively. Spike shrugged, “Alright, I'll wait.”

Soarin just gave a sigh of relief as he finished cleaning his face off and combing his mane before quickly exiting the bathroom. He then made his way downstairs, finding Rarity and Twilight already cooking breakfast together. The sound of his hoofsteps prompted Rarity to look up and smile brightly at the pegasus. “Good morning Soarin, how was your sleep last night?”

If he was being honest with himself, still more than a little tired, but was able to manage a small smile while he sitting down at the table, doing his best to avoid talking and then revealing his latest change. “Just don’t talk Soarin, who knows maybe I can just get through the day without saying a word.”

However, Rarity was quick to pick up on his unusually silent demeanor. ”Soarin, are you feeling alright?”

He was quick to nod sipping a cup of tea if only to have an excuse to not communicate. As he continued to slowly, sip at his tea,Twilight brought a plate of eggs and pancakes with a cup of coffee. “Eat up, you’ll need to keep your energy up for today.”

Soarin, without missing a beat, quickly shifted from the tea to the food, gobbling it up with gusto. Seated next to him, Rarity simply cut her pancakes at a slow pace, while still trying to get a word out of the stallion.“By the way dear, I brought over your uniform so you could try it on here.”

Soarin coughed on his eggs and squeaked, ”You did what?” He then realized what he’d just said, albeit too late and vainly tired to clamp his mouth shut.

However, the mares both turned with surprised looks at Soarin, who blushed in shame while covered his mouth with booth hooves.

Twilight whispered in awe,”Soarin..Is that your voice?”

Rarity gulped as she whispered, “Well...it’s nothing to be ashamed of Soarin. Honestly I think it sounds lovely.””

Soarin sighed, uncovering his mouth, seeing no point in hiding it. “I...it happened after I woke up this morning. All of a sudden my voice started sounding like...this.” His now significantly higher pitched voice rose even higher on the last note, prompting Soarin to practically bury his face into the wooden table. ”

Twilight did her best to remain supportive, offering a comforting hoof, ”Soarin it’s a lovely voice, you shouldn’t hide it. Besides,I’m sure that we all were expecting your vocal cords to change eventually.”

Soarin sighed going back to eating. “Yeah I guess.”

Twilight happily nodded at his acceptance. “Don’t worry too much, I’m sure once your in that uniform and doing your routine, this change will be the last thing on your mind.”

He groaned, being reminded of the test and continued to stuffing his face, perhaps hoping all the syrup would make his voice sound better. Rarity came by opting to shift topics in a different direction, “So is there anything else you need before the trial?”

He shook his head, still thinking/dreading the trials ahead. Between the wings, his voice, the suit and everything else, there was practically no way he’d be likely to pass. He’d be lucky if he wasn’t laughed right out of the testing facility. The thought almost made him want to find a cave and hide in it for the rest of his life, but he knew that wasn’t an option.

“Here’s at least hoping this’ll be short. Less painful that way.”


In a brief amount of time, Rarity has left the library and returned with Soarin’s uniform, to which she was now admiring her handy work. The stallion of the hour was now in his sparkling golden suit with his hooves matching with the gold hoof polish from the previous night. He looked at himself in the mirror as Rarity was circled him, getting a good look from every angle she could. “Oh, you look positively stunning darling. I do believe I may have outdone myself.”

Soarin struggled to maintain a positive facade as his eyes stayed glued to his reflection.” I mean it looks great but...well..now that I look like a mare, do you think it still suits me?”

Rarity waved a hoof and scoffed,”Oh please, if anything I think it looks even better on you as a mare.”

Soarin turned from the mirrors, still unsure about his appearance and the test itself,”You sure? After everything that’s happened already, I don’t know if I should even go out there.”

Rarity simply grabbed his head and turned it so he could see directly into her eyes, those sapphire blue eyes glimmering with untold self-confidence that the stallion turned mare needed. “Don’t even think that, even for a moment. I know you’re going to do great. That much I’m quite certain.”

Soarin actually felt a few tears leak from his eyes as the fashionista’s words, quickly holding the unicorn tightly to her surprise “Hey, what's the matter?”

He whimpered, “I...I’m scared, that even after all of this...The Wonderbolts still won’t accept me.”

Rarity simply hugged Soarin back whilst smoothed out his mane. “That's just hormones and stress talking. Believe me when I say this, you’ve more than earned your place here. All that hardwork and determination is going to pay off. You deserve to be here Soarin.”

Soarin nodded and wiped his eyes, “Right I’m ready to go.”

With a final look in the mirror, he made his way down the stairs with Rarity, finding Rainbow Dash wait for them. Her reaction once she saw Soarin was...about what they expected.

“You're actually going to wear that?” She spoke with tone with enough revulsion you’d think the outfit was made of rags and washed in garbage.

Soarin glared at the cyan coated pegasus, stomping his hoof firmly on the ground and growling at his companion.”I happen to think it looks really cool and I’m honored I get to wear it. Do you have a problem with that?”

Rainbow Dash’s jaw practically crashed through the floorupon hearing the stallion’s voice. “What in the hay did you do to him Rarity!?”

Rarity stomped a hoof. “Rainbow Dash, I had nothing to do with his voice and you really should be more respectful to other ponies.”

The light blue coated stallion reeled back at her friends disappointed tone, only to take several steps back as Soarin drew closer, looking more than a little offended. “So what's wrong with my voice Rainbow Dash, you got a problem with that too?”

She's just sighed, really not wanting to start a fight with anypony. ”No, it was just surprising is all. Anyway, we need to start flying or else we’re gonna be late.”

Soarin only nodded, before offering a quick wave goodbye to Twilight and Rarity who both offered him a loud,”Good Luck!” before he flew off into the sky with Rainbow Dash at he/her side.


At a nearby Wonderbolt training field, Spitfire, along with a few other Wonderbolts, sat eagerly awaiting Soarin’s arrival. This was something they didn’t have to wait long for as they quickly witnessed Soarin fluttering down towards them alongside Rainbow Dash. The entire team gasped at Soarin’s metamorphosis. Where once there was a clumsy stallion, now there flew agraceful, stunning mare in a golden glittering suit, complimented by a shimmering, silky black mane.

The sight actually made Spitfire do a double take, checking to make certain her eyes were functioning properly. Once that was made clear, her face actually turned scarlet at the sight of Soarin, his entire body glimmering under the rays of the sun. “Wow, who’d have thunk turning he’d be such a pretty mare. Honestly not sure how I feel about that.”

Quickly remembering the trial, she shook her confusing thoughts out of her head and readopted her stern, commander persona. “So Soarin...Are you ready to begin the trial?”

He gave a nod, still uncomfortable about speaking with his former teammates as he was. Spitfire turned to Rainbow Dash, “Alright, from what the reports you gave me say, you’re gonna give a more unconventional performance from the normal Wonderbolts demonstration?”

Rainbow Dash nodded. ”Yep, his new wings aren't durable enough for the usual Wonderbolt regiment, so we had to make our own technique. Though I can promise he’s been working on it none stop and I’m sure you guys we’ll be impressed.”

Spitfire, keeping her stern demeanor, only offered a short nod. ”Very well then. Now, just to be clear we're going to judge him predominantly on his style and skill, not speed or power. Understand?”

Both Dash and Soarin answered in the affirmative, though the Wonderbolt hopeful was now shaking all over. Though despite him shaking like a leaf in a hurricane, Spitfire seemed to ignore it and focus on the task at hand. “Alright Soarin, we’re ready you may begin.”

The classical music began and echoed throughout the empty stadium. Without missing a beat, he fluttered into the air,making sure to do a few twirls with his wings shimmering in the sunlight.

Once he got up to a certain point he proceeded to dive around the clouds over head, weaving gracefully throughout each one as the classical music continued with a soothing sound. He then slowed his movement letting the wind take his wings ashe fluttered,dived, and waved through the air with graceful arcs, with a high speed twirl at the end of his first set of maneuvers. The Wonderbolts were all gaping in utter confusion and shock at how breathtaking the performance was.

Soarin then raised himself above a little and began twirling around the clouds, this time fluttering around them and taking in a breeze allowing him to float above the clouds. He continued to to spin and throwing his wings open to the Wonderbolts, who started to applaud him a little and even chanted his name.

“Soarin, keep going.”

“You’re amazing!”

He grunted closing his eyes tightly as he worked to maintain his altitude. “Alright, I need to be sure I finish this off with a good finale!”

He then did a loop in the air,fluttering high above as the classical music’s melody intensified,flying higher and higher. Once he’d reached a certain point, he unfurled his wings and let the the light streamed down, the music ending in a loud booming finale with the sun’s rays gleaming through his wings. This was the final image he held for a few moments, he started fluttering down.

Spitfire clapped and cheered as Soarin descended. The other Wonderbolts quickly began whispering amongst each other,Spitfire responding to some of the unheard dialogue . They all nodded in approval and Soarin closed his eyes and hid his face behind a wing as he thought, “I knew it, they’re not gonna let be a part of the Wonderbolts again.”

Spitfire turned towards Soarin and declared, “The Wonderbolts have made their decision. Soarin you did very well and I'm proud to say that you have made massive improvements.” Her next words caused her expression to change to a somber one that told Soarin all he needed to know.

“I’m afraid however, that due to your wings fragility and how you can no longer perform intense maneuvers we’re known for, you simply can't be apart of the Wonderbolts.”

The poor stallion looked devastated, his head bowing so low it threatened to kiss the dirt. Spitfire however, wasn’t done talking, “But...the Wonderbolts have recently hired a cheerleader squad. And well...we would like you to be the captain.”

Soarin blinked in surprise his eyes quickly leveling back to match Spitfire’s. “Wait, they want me to be a cheerleader?”

Spitfire continued explaining, “Your amazing Soarin, those wings are just so beautiful. You’d make an amazing opener for out show. Combined with our own moves at the end, it’d be the perfect performance.”

She took out a box with the Wonderbolt logo,and said “Here's your new uniform Soarin. I also included some cards detailing the routines you’ll be doing with the cheerleading squad.”

The stallion took the box as he was still shaking and Spitfire came over and gave him a hug, “Oh, and stop thinking what I know you are. Even as a cheerleader, you’re still a Wonderbolt. Welcome back.”

He looked at the other Wonderbolts smiling at him and he hugged Spitfire back and whispered, ”Thank you.”

Spitfire blushed hearing Soarin's new voice and broked the embrace as she continued, “ I’ll give you a week to prepare and learn the routines. We can just go through introductions to your new teammates next Monday.”

Soarin gave a sheepish smile and replied,”Sure Spitfire, sounds great.”

Spitfire turned to Rainbow Dash and spoke to her directly, “Now that Soarin is trained and apart of the Wonderbolts, I’m also giving you, Rainbow Dash, official acceptance into the Wonderbolt Academy. You’ve clearly shown you’ve got what it takes to be one of us. Also as a bonus and a thank you, I’m giving you a pass to every Wonderbolt show for the next year.!”

Rainbow Dash flew into the air shouting “Ohmygosh!ohmygoshohmygosh! Thank you thank you thank you!”

Spitfire laughed and clapped her hooves as the rest of the Wonderbolts did, though Soarin just looked downtrodden as he clutched the box trying not to burst into tears.

“Is this it? Am I to be just gonna be a cheerleader?