• Published 19th Sep 2017
  • 2,198 Views, 62 Comments

Soarin's New Wings - Foal Star



During a freak accident, Soarin's wings were changed into beautiful butterfly wings and now he has to deal with accepting his loss, and learn to use his new wings.

  • ...
5
 62
 2,198

Chapter 10: To Be or Not To Be a Ballerina

A few weeks later, one late Saturday afternoon, Soarin was in Glass Hooves’s house as the Canterlot unicorn watched transformed mare performing a dance, twirling and gliding across the ballerina’s own private dance room.

Soarin’s face, as well as the yellow tutu she was sporting, were completely drenched in sweat from what had been a rather taxing practice. However, the mare was still keeping it up, straining not to make a mistake. Mercifully for her, she finally finished the routine by doing a dozen twirls in the middle of the stage as her wings sprang out, glistening from the lights above. However, she was only able to hold the pose for a second or two before practically falling onto the dance bar, sucking down air like it was water.

Though, it seemed the effort was worth it, as Glass Hooves couldn’t stop clapping her hooves as Soarin slowly regained enough stamina to stand on her own power. Said instructor quickly handed the mare a bottle of water, which the blue coated pegasus was all too happy to gulp down, while Glass continued to smile as she watched.

“Soarin, that was simply spectacular. I’m honestly surprised you only just really started ballet. Just from what I saw, I know you’d make the cut easily.”

Soarin turned as she took a towel and wiped her brow clean. ”Thanks, though I'm just happy you're even giving me a chance.”

Glass Hooves nodded, “Don’t thank me, frankly it's amazing to see how well you’ve progressed since you started, and I’d be remiss to allow such talent to go unnoticed. Now I think we can schedule your test for tomorrow.”

Soarin gulped a she got up and asked, “So...I actually have a few questions about this ballerina thing.”

Glass Hooves looked at the mare curious, but maintained her smile. “Of course, what would you like to know. ?”

Soarin looked up and asked, “So, if I do become a ballerina, would I still be able to live in Ponyville?”

Glass Hooves’s smile immediately dropped as she looked hesitant to give an answer. “I’m afraid not. My studio and troupe are all in Canterlot, hence that is where practice has to take place. As I told you before, I only came to Ponyvile to scout new talent. I always planned on returning to Canterlot, with whoever I chose.”

Soarin sighed, “You sure there’s no other way around that?”

Glass Hooves, quietly groaned, pinching the bridge of her nose in slight annoyance at how quickly complicated things had become. “I’m not sure. I might be able to work something out. But Soarin, you can’t always expect things to work out the way you want. Ballet is a commitment and you have to be willing to make sacrifices if it’s what you want to do.” Her tone quickly shifted back to a more sympathetic one as she gave Soarin a comforting pat on the shoulder. “I know it’s hard, and I understand it’s asking a lot, but that’s the best I can offer.”

Soarin gave a nod as she sighed. “Okay, well, I need to get ready for a date, can I use your shower?”

The mare laughed. “Of course you can. Take the time to spruce up. Wouldn’t be proper for you to show up smelling like the inside of a locker room.”

Soarin gave Glass hooves a smile. “Thanks, I’ll keep what you said in mind.” She then walked off as her smile turned to a frown, wondering about what to do.


Soarin, once cleaned up and changed, meet up with Spitfire a couple blocks from Glass Slipper’s studio. The two mares were both sitting across from each other on a table with the sun shining down, laughing as they talked and ate some light salads with milkshakes. Soarin was chuckling, “Dear Celestia, I can't believe that we actually crashed during practice.”

Spitfire scoffed. ”I have to admit those wings blinded me, you need to be careful with those things.”

Soarin raised his wings, pretending to look intrigued. “Oh really, you think I need to register them as weapons or something?”

Spitfire burst into laughter and wiped the tears from her eyes, “Not quite what I meant, but considering how they’ve managed to incapacitate us more than once, it doesn’t sound that crazy.”

Soarin folded her wings as she took up her milkshake and started to slurp it up. “Well, they do get in the way. I still have problems with gusts of winds.”

Spitfire giggled, as she posed another question. “So, how do you sleep, with how big those things are, it can’t be easy?”

Soarin blushed “I can fold them up in my back or I can sleep on my side. But it is quite hard to adjust with them.”

Spitfire gave her milkshake a long slurp before asking, “So, you still living with Rarity?”

Soarin sighed. “Yeah, but I was planning on getting a house here in Ponyville.”

Spitfire blinked, her milkshake suddenly forgotten. “Wait, your not moving back to Cloudsdale?”

Soarin looked hesitant to key her eye fixed on Spitfire as she tried to speak.“Well, I made a lot of friends here. Fluttershy and I have been talking more, Rarity and I are best of friends and I love her sister Sweetie Belle. Twilight is still interested in researching my wings and I even think she’s writing a book about them.”

Spitfire smirked, “Oh wow, you sure you’re not apart of the Elements of Harmony yourself?”

Soarin rolled her eyes as she took a sip from her own drink. “Please, I’m not their only other friend. Pinkie Pie knows everypony in Ponyville for crying out loud.”

Spitfire shrugged deciding to shift the conversation elsewhere. ”Alright, just joking around. So I guess you’ll be needing help to move from Rarity's?”

Soarin shook her head, “Well not right now. I still need to find a place, but I’ve had my eye on a few good looking houses.”

Spitfire nodded, “Oh really? Well when you do move out let me know.”

Soarin smiled slightly as she slurped her milkshake and whispered, “Thanks.”

There was silence for a little while for the couple as Soarin gulped and looked down. “So there’s something I've been meaning to ask you.”

Spitfire looked up unsure of what to say as Soarin sighed. “Look...I’m happy for what you’ve done for me getting me the cheerleading job….but,”

Spitfire sighed, already knowing that a “but” had been coming. “L:ook Soarin, I know that your not satisfied with the cheerleading job. But you are enjoying yourself right?”

Soarin nodded as she continued, casually spinning the straw in her milkshake as she did., “Well yeah I really do like the job...but it’s just not satisfying.”

Spitfire nodded, while looking a little disappointed was still looking supportive. “I can understand that, after being a part of the best flying team in Equestria, pretty much anything would seem like a downgrade.” She took another sip before looking at Soarin with a curious eye. “So, did you get some other kind of job offer or something?”?”

Soarin looked into her marefriend’s eyes, more than a little nervous as she said her next words. “I...I’m think of applying to be a ballerina.”

Spitfire’s eyes blinked wordlessly for a moment, almost making Soarin wonder if she’d even heard her. The silence only lasted a minute, before the esteemed drill sergeant burst into a fit of laughter that sent her to the floor. Soarin just rolled her eyes, while also ducking down a little to avoid the curious stares of some of the other ponies nearby. Eventually Spitfire got up, tears still streaming down her face as she looked at Soarin again. “Y-your kidding right?”

Soarin all but promptly got up with scowl, “I’m not, I’m being completely serious.”

Spitfire sighed wiping a tear from her face, now looking more serious as well as confused. “But isn’t that...I don’t know...more degrading than being a cheerleader?”

Part of Soarin wanted to vehemently deny such a claim, but kept from initiating an outburst. “Well, not exactly, it actually requires a lot of hard work, precision and grace to even pull off decently. In fact, there’s only two Professional Ballet companies in Equestria and the one I’m looking at is the Royal Canterlot Ballet company, which is supposedly the more prestigious of the two.”.”

Spitfire eyed Soarin questionably, more intrigued than before but still confused.”So you why buy a house in Ponyville? Wouldn't you have to move to Canterlot if you’re accepted?”

Soarin sighed, still mulling over that slight roadbump. ”Well, I’m still working that part out. I figured I might be able to commute by train, though I’m not entirely sure if that will work.”.” Her previous confidence slowly dropped as self doubt started to return, her face dropping lower.

Spitfire saw Soarin looking down and whispered, “Hey, I’m not mad or anything, but you should think about this. I mean if you do this and have to leave Ponyville it’ll be hard for...”

Spitfire paused midway as Soarin got up and smiled. “Hey, I’ll think about it alright? Nothing is set in stone yet and I’m not about to make such a big decision on a whim..”

Soarin quietly took out some bits and placed them on the table as she slowly walked off in silence as Spitfire watched unsure of what to say.


Rarity was coming back one late afternoon a long fashion shoot. It was late and she was quite exhausted as she opened the door to her home. However, while she’d been debating on whether to eat something or simply go to bed, her thoughts quickly halted when she spotted Soarin, on her fainting couch, goring herself on ice cream and pie.

The sight brought an exhausted sigh from the mare, having been through this same scenario multiple times when Soarin was first adjusting to her current situation. Any plans she might have had were immediately forgotten as she put on a kind face and lightly tapped the distracted mare on the shoulder. d

“Soarin, darling, are you alright?”

Soarin squeaked, jumping in midair, sending her pie and ice to the floor. Once she stopped her heart from beating a mile a minute, Soarin finally noticed Rarity’s presence. “Oh, he-hey! Rarity I didn't realise you were there.”

Rarity, sneering lightly at the ice cream and sweets now staining her clean floors, gave Soarin a sweet smile and asked “Yes well, I can understand how that would be difficult, what with you face first into what appears to be a tub of triple peanut butter ice cream and about 4 chocolate, coconut pies.” Her expression turned to one of concern. “What’s the matter dear, I haven’t seen you like this in ages and I know something must be bothering you.”.”

Soarin turned to the empty pie trays and the ice cream tubs and sighed, “Well it's just that things are complicated. Right now I’ve been caught between a rock and a hard place.”

Rarity eyed her friend and asked, “What do you mean?”

Soarin looked over wiping the tears from her eyes. “Well I’ve been thinking of becoming a ballerina for the Royal Canterlot Ballet, but that would mean leaving here forever. Yet...I feel unfulfilled right now, like I'm living up to my potential, I'm not sure what to do.”

Rarity nodded as she continued, “Well darling, I’m not really the one who would know the answer to that question...I guess you should do what makes you happy.”

Soarin sniffled as she nodded. “Yeah well I'll sleep on it I guess, though my try out for is tomorrow.”

Rarity blinked. “Tomorrow bu...but whay haven't you told anypon-" Rarity stopped mid sentence as Soarin started tearing up again. The posh pony was quick to put on a comforting smile and offer a hoof to her friend.“ Listen Soarin even if you move to Canterlot we’ll still be friends. After all, Twilight is from there and we can visit often. Don’t let that stop you from doing what you love, understand?"

Soarin chuckled, quickly wiping away her tears. “Okay, thanks I...I guess you're right.”

She then got up and slowly walked to her room as Rarity stood there and saw that Soarin had left her yellow tutu on the ground. Naturally, the sophisticated mare was quick to pick it up only to gag at the smell of sweat permeating from every fiber of the clothing. “Well, Soarin definitely can’t tryout in this tomorrow.” Her eyes suddenly got an all to familiar gleam to them, as her she looked the tutu over with a critical gaze.“Soarin won’t mind if I give this a quick wash and a little modification here and there. Yes, a little sprucing up should cheer the poor dear right up.” Her mind made up, she immediately carried the tutu towards her washing machine, preparing the cloth for tomorrow.


The next morning, Soarin found her sleep immediately interrupted by the scent of something burning downstairs.. Panic set in, as she knew immediately the cause….Sweetie Belle was cooking. Much as Soarin had grown to care for the young filly, simple fact was cooking was not a skill she possessed, even at a basic level. The filly managed to burn juice somehow. How was that even possible?

Without a second to spare, she immediately rushed down the stairs to the kitchen. However, her rush was stopped when she spotted Sweetie Belle, grumbling to herself as she attempted to stir something on the stove. ”Come on, making oatmeal shouldn’t be this hard.”

Soarin quickly took Sweetie Belle from the stove and started cleaning out the pot, all the while trying not to show her growing annoyance.“Come on Sweetie Belle, you know you’re not supposed to be trying to cook.”

Sweetie Belle blushed as she hopped off a stool. “Sorry, Rarity usually makes breakfast but I wanted to give it a try..”

Soarin sighed and ruffled the young filly’s mane. “Well the effort is appreciated, really. But, you definitely need some practice. For now, I’m going to find your sister.”

Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes at the mention of her sister. “Knowing her, she’s probably still trying to get to her beauty sleep.”

Soarin shrugged, going upstairs and was quickly met by the sounds of rather loud and as Rarity would say, unladylike snoring. As quietly as she could manage, the mare slowly opened the door to Rarity’s room, only to gasp in shock upon seeing her tutu. Only now it had been properly cleaned and now glitteried with an array of jewels and sequins. “Oh...oh my gosh. Its beautiful.”

Another snore immediately reminded her of why she was there, and turned to find Rarity slumped over on her desk, snoring softly, her normally groomed mane a complete mess. Soarin’s eyes filled with tears at another gesture of Rarity's generosity and came over and kissed her on the cheek. “Thank you Rarity, it’s beautiful.” The mare quietly took the tutu and sighed. “Well, I'll go make Sweetie Belle and I some breakfast then its showtime.”


Not long after, at the skating rink, Glass Hooves was standing aside watching the mares one by one twirl and dance along the stage to classical music, yet each display was only met with a shake of disapproval from Glass Hooves, unimpressed by what she saw. Soarin, having watched each mare fail and some leave in tears, felt much of her confidence practically burn away, now shaking nervously as she waited for her name to be called. All the while she stood several other mares looked at her in awe of her glimmering attire, one even actually vocally acknowledging her.

“Dear Celestia, you look positively stunning.”

Soarin blushed, finding herself tongue tied while trying to get a response. “Tha-" Her words immediately halted as she caught sight of her friends, as well as Spitfire looking at her from the stands. Soarin’s heart fluttered at seeing all the support, allowing her to calmly walk on stage as her name was called.

Once one, she gave Glass a customary bow, which she returned in kind. “Alright Soarin, you may start your performance.”

With a final nod, the mare began her dance. With a single leap she was in the air, twirling around and gaining momentum. As she flew, her wings opened and fluttered across the stage, gaining several mares attention. Soarin then did a pirouette before entering a jump and mid air spin, landing perfectly three times in row, landing every single beat of the classical music that played along. Everypony’s gaze was now on her as she spun around while the pace of the music increased. She eventually reached the finale of routine, spinning nonstop in the air, her wings gaining momentum then shining her wings above as the musconended. The crowd clapped and her friends cheered her on “Soarin! Soarin!”

Glass Hooves practically shot up from her seat, vigorously applauding the performance. “Bravo! Bravo! That was amazing!”

Her friends cheered her on as the mare stood up, offering her only bows in both excitement and thanks for the support.

Glass Hooves, immediately began writing something down on a clipboard she had on the table. “Well Soarin, I believe it goes without saying that you are most certainly in. And now that you're officially apart of the Royal Canterlot Ballet we shall begin preparations to move you to Canterlot immediately.”

A resounding sense of shock quickly washed over Soarin’s friends, all unsure of what to say or even how to react. Soarin was similarly in a state of surprise, but still managed to steadily turner toGlass Hooves.

“Thanks for the offer, but if I can't stay here in Ponyville then I’m sorry, but I can’t become a part of the Canterlot Ballet.”.”

Oddly enough, despite this revelation, Glass didn’t seem all that disappointed, merely chuckling at the statement. “Heh, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, what with what you said yesterday. Then again, I can’t just let you walk away after a performance like that. So, how about you act as a supporting member for the troupe and if we need a backup member we’ll call you. And if you’re worried about practice, it’s only about twice a month.”

Soarin practically had to fight back a squee, settling for a sigh of relief instead. “Well, I do believe that is very agreeable and I’d be more than happy to do so. I’ll still have cheerleading, but I can definitely do both. And thanks again for this.” .”

With another smile, she quietly left the rink with her friends all congratulating her on her accomplishment, Glass continuing to smile at the mare, eager to see what she’d bring in the future