• Published 19th Sep 2017
  • 2,198 Views, 62 Comments

Soarin's New Wings - Foal Star



During a freak accident, Soarin's wings were changed into beautiful butterfly wings and now he has to deal with accepting his loss, and learn to use his new wings.

  • ...
5
 62
 2,198

Chapter 2: Soarin's new mission

It’s been a few days since Soarin had moved into Rarity’s boutique, and it was proving to be an, interesting transition. Of course mention that one of the Wonderbolts was now staying had caused a little stir among some, including Sweetie Belle and her friends, currently sneaking around the corner of Carousel Boutique.

Apple Bloom yawned quietly, as she stumbled along with her friends.” You sure this is a good idea? I mean, I don’t mind ya waking us up early and all, it’s just that I don’t think your big sis would like us snoopin’ on her.”

Scootaloo turned with a astonished look. “Are ya kidding? We can’t miss a chance to see Soarin fly! He’s Wonderbolt for crying out loud!”

Sweetie Belle gave a loud shush, “Be quiet you two. And stop worrying Apple Bloom, Rarity’s just helping Soarin. Not like we can’t get in trouble for just watching right?”

Apple Bloom still rubbing her eyes mumbled, “I hope so, rather not get another lecture from mah sister or Granny Smith..”

Sweetie Belle chirped, “Relax, after all we’re the the Cutie Mark Crusaders. We can’t stop trying to get our marks just because we’re scared. s. This could be what we have to do to earn them.”

Scootaloo with questionable look asked, “I don’t know Sweetie Belle? I mean watching Rarity help out Soarin, what would a mark for that even look like?”

Sweetie Belle pondered the question for a few minutes then shrugged. “Maybe we’ll get butterfly wings or something.”

Apple Bloom eyed the little white coated filly, “But you’ve come out here like a dozen times already and ya still don't have your cutie mark. How’ll this be any different?”

Sweetie Belle rolled her eyes. “Alright, forget about the cutie marks. Honestly, I just brought you two out here to watch Soarin fly.”

The three then heard voices as the back door opened, revealing Rarity and Sorain, side by side as they entered the room.. Apple Bloom and Scootaloo both gasped at Soarin, who’d unveiled his wings in their full glory. Apple Bloom’s eyes were filled with wonder as she whispered, ”Oh wow, they're the most beautiful things i've ever seen.”

Scootaloo was also entranced by the strange, glimmering wings. “Yeah, it’s hard not to look away from them.”

Sweetie Belle giggled at her friends gawking. “Oh you haven’t seen anything yet.”

Rarity was now giving instructions to Soarin. “Now darling, remember to be graceful, give those wings nice big flaps, but keep them gentle, like….”

“Like a butterfly I get it.” Soarin interrupted with a grunt.

The stallion gulped as he started to flap his wings slowly, lifting himself above the ground as the fillies gazed upward at the fluttering stallion. Apple Bloom put her hooves to her cheeks and squeaked, “Wow he’s like a big butterfly!”

Sweetie Belle was just smirking. “Just wait, it gets better.”

Soarin flew higher and higher, grunting as the breezes started to make it difficult to maintain his balance, with Rarity applauding his progress

“Oh, you’re doing positively splendid darling, keep it up!”

He kept climbing flapping steadily as thoughts went through his head. “I can’t believe that i’m actually flying with these. But I have to be careful, every time I get this high I fall down on my rump”.

His ascent continued until he rose to where he could see Cloudsdale, which was right outside of Ponyville at the moment. He gave a big smile at his town and threw his forehooves in the air shouting, “I did it! I can fly again!”

The celebration however, was cut short, as out of nowhere a gust of strong wing batted his wings, sending him tumbling through the sky. Worse yet, almost on a reflex he didn’t even know he had, Soarin’s new wings curled up around him, causing his body to now start falling like brick.

Soarin squealed, trying to stay calm, before managing to reopen his wings,catching a gust of wind and fly back upwards toward the sky. Once he was safely high enough off the ground he let out a gasp of relief.f “Oh thank Celestia! That was a close call.”

Rarity, having seen the entire near death experience, quickly called up to the stallion in concern, “Soarin darling, are you doing okay!?”

The stallion looked down smiling at Rarity. “I’m alright, just give me a second.”

Soarin adjusted his wings, fluttering slowly towards the ground, only for his wings to buckle without warning, plopping the stallion onto the ground.

Rarity quickly ran over to him and looked the stallion over. “My, that was quite a fall. Are you sure you’re already dear? ”

The only response she received however, was the sound of laughter, which they quickly found was coming from the Cutie Mark Crusaders, now unconcerned with being found as they rolled across the grass laughing.. Soarin got up, blushing at the laughter clearly directed at his little display not two seconds ago. Sweetie Belle, who’d since stopped laughing, bounced over to the Wonder Bolt with a big smile on her face.“Hey, Soarin, that was amazing! Can you do that again!”

Soarin sighed as Rarity got up with a scowl. “Sweetie Belle, what did I say about snooping? A proper lady should know better then to act in such an uncouth manner.”

The filly blushed, grinding a hood into the dirt as she whispered, “Sorry Rarity, I just wanted to show my friends how cool Soarin is.”

The stallion got up, rubbing his rump with a hoof, while letting off a small smile at the praise from the young filly., “Are you sure? Seems you three were more interested in seeing me fail.”

Apple Bloom came up with a smile. “No, we were just surprised to see you get so high with those wings! We only laughed when you fell on your rump, honest.”.”

, “Yeah you're so awesome Soarin! I mean even with those wings you still were able to climb that into the sky! Soon you’ll be back doing awesome stunts with the Wonderbolts!” Scootaloo, befitting a fan of the Wonderbolts, was bouncing around the stallion with unbridled excitement.

Soarin could only blush at the compliments, while trying to maintain some sense of modesty, “Well, thanks you three, but as you can see I'm not exactly as skilled a flyer as I was before.”

His statement did little to curb Scootaloo’s excitement. , “Are you kidding, I know you’ll have it down in no time and doing all sorts of can’t super cool stunts just like before!”

Rarity sighing shaking her head. “Alright you three better get going to school you're already late.”

Sweetie Belle groaned at the mention of school, but knew that arguing with Rarity would be a waste of time. Thus settled for giving Soarin a quick hug. “See you later Soary.”

Soarin blushed at the nickname and patting the filly on the back. “Yeah see you soon.”

They then all scampered off as Rarity sighed and gave an apologetic look at Soarin. “I’m so sorry darling, Sweetie Belle and her friends can be quite rambunctious.”

Soarin merely shook the apology off. “No it’s fine, honestly I enjoy having some ponies cheer me on. Helps give me a reason to get the hang of these new wings.”


Rarity laughed at the comment. “Well, if that’s the case, we’d better get you some breakfast so you can keep practicing. Don’t want to let those little fillies down do you?”.”

Soarin’s stomach grumbled as he gave it a few pats. “Breakfast sounds wonderful.” He then followed Rarity back into the Carousel Boutique and thought. “I have to admit Sweetie Belle’s encouragement every morning cheers me up.”


Soarin was now settling down having a simple breakfast of scrambled eggs and coffee in Rarity’s quaint little kitchen. As Rarity was eating her breakfast from across the table Soarin whispered, ”So congratulations on your new dresses for The Grand Galloping Gala. They were really impressive.”

She giggled, looking up from her food. “Oh really? Well, glad to know I got it right the first time around as opposed to before.” The fashionista let loose a shiver, recalling the the memory of her previous Gala Dresses, if one could even call them that. “Not my proudest moment, I’m afraid.”

Soarin laughed, snorting a little before getting up. “Yeah I heard. Though honestly, I’m kind of wishing I could’ve been there to see it. I asked Hoity Toity for more details a little while back and all I got from him was….So Gaudy...So Garish...Need High end Stitching with good color balance.” Soarin causing Rarity to laugh at his poor attempt to imitate Hoity’s posh accent.

He continued eating for sometime before he asked, ”Anyway, I was wondering if you could make some adjustments to my Wonderbolt suit for the Grand Galloping Gala? I doubt my uniform would look good with my wings as they are now.”

Rarity laughed at the request and cooed, “Of course darling, I'm sure I could make something quite fashionable for those beautiful wings.”

Soarin smiled, “Thanks Rarity, I know you’ll make something absolutely amazing.” The mare gave him a warm smile as a thought went through her head, “Why is he interested in my fashion? I mean not just that, he seems different then what I expected.”

This thought process made the fashion pony look at her guest with a more analytical eye, “I’m a little surprised Sorain, I never pegged you as someone who’d be interested in fashion.”

Soarin looked up from his breakfast with a odd look and replied, “Wouldn’t say I’m interested persay, just figured my uniform could use make do with a few changes, to go with my own. Why?”

The mare waving her mane out of her face. “Well, it’s nothing really, it’s just that your acting more like a…”

Soarin got a bit stern and crossed his hooves. “Like a what?”

She gulped giving him a sheepish smile and waved a hoof. “Oh it’s nothing darling,I’m just being silly.”

Soarin however, didn’t seem convinced, his expressing just as stern, “Rarity, if you have something to say just say it to me. Don’t lie.”

Rarity gulped as she continued, “I mean...you're acting very feminine.”

Soarin blinked, unsure of how to respond to such a response. Thankfully for both of them, the discussion was halted by a knock at the door. . Soarin got up with a jolt and a clearly uncomfortable expression on his face. “Um...l’ll go get that.”

He quickly scooted out of his seat and quickly went to the door. “I’m being feminine? I mean I know I haven’t been myself lately. But am have I been acting that strange?

Soarin then opened the door to see Spitfire, clad in her drill sergeant sunglasses and Wonderbolt uniform, standing on Rarity’s porch, only able to promptly shout in disbelief. “Spitfire?!”

The fiery pegasus lifted her sunglasses and gave Soarin a smirk. “Hey Clipper it’s been awhile.”

Soarin still astonished whispered, “Yeah it has.”

Hearing the commotion, Rarity came out to the door, and seemed elated seeing Spitfire standing . “Spitfire darling, it’s so great to see you again.”

Spitfire’s expression quickly shifted to a harsh a glare and scoffed, ”Yeah, it's great to see the unicorn that started this whole mess. If it weren’t for y-”

Soarin gave a cough as Spitfire threw her head to the side. “Alright….Anyway, I need to talk to Soarin alone if you don’t mind.”

Rarity bowed her head. “Guess she’s still sore about this whole situation. Can’t say I blame her though.” Deciding it was best to avoid further conflict, she started scooting back into her boutique. “Of course darling, i’ll leave you two alone to catch up.” Then swiftly shut the door.

Soarin sighed, turning to Spitfire with stern loom. “You didn’t need to be so rough on her, she’s been helping me ever since I left the hospital.”

Spitfire gave him a stern, but apologetic look. “I know, just a little annoyed is all after everything that’s happened.” Letting out a calming breath, she directed her eyes over to Sugercube Corner. “So, what say we have some pie and catch up. My treat.””

Soarin fluttered down beside the fiery mare. “Why captain, you know I can’t say no to pie.” He spoke in an almost posh tone that got his fellow Wonderbolt chuckling. “Though tell, does this count as our first date or do I need to earn a few more brownie points?”

Spitfire, uncharacteristically, didn’t even reply to the joke, instead simply turned her head away as Soarin walked alongside her. “That’s not good, I hope for whatever reason she came by isn't just to deliver bad news.”


Despite the pleasant atmosphere of Sugarcube Corner and the large pie and milkshakes the pair had before them, it didn’t help to cut the uncomfortable silence they were currently stuck in.. Soarin was poking at the pie with a worried look, almost afraid to even utter a word to his captain. Spitfire only sighed solemnly at seeing Soarin so disgruntled, not helping what she knew she had to do.

“Better not delay this anymore then I need to, this is rough enough as is.” She then took out a form and placed it in front of Soarin's face. He blinked at the form and asked, “What’s this?”

Spitfire continued in a solemn tone, “It’s a resignation from from the Wonderbolts.”

Soarin’s wings flared and his face turned a deep red and shouted, “You want me to resign!”

Spitfire, now apologetic, looked straight into Soarin's eyes. “Listen, I know this looks bad, but it’s only temporary. Once you’ve gotten a better handle on your new wings, we can schedule a retrial so you can rejoin the Wonderbolts.”.”

He sat back down,still glaring at Spitfire. “Alright I get it,I obviously can’t perform with these.” Giving his new wings a flap

Spitfire sighed, “Like I said, it’s not that you can’t be in the Wonderbolts at all. We just need to be sure you can perform our more intense maneuvers with your new wings. Really, it’s not that bad.”

Soarin sighed in relief and whispered, “So,if I pass this re-trial I can come back into the Wonderbolts.”

Spitfire smiled at Soarin and replied, “That’s the plan. Besides, did you really think we’d let you quit forever, the whole team can’t wait to have you back. Only reason they aren’t here is because we’ve t been so busy perfecting our maneuvers for the Grand Galloping Gala.”

Soarin looked down at the form with hesitation, gulping as he thought “This is it, i'm officially being kicked out of the Wonderbolts, even if it is only temporary, it still hurts.” He sighed, took a pen and wrote his name on the form. Spitfire took the paper and whispered, “Thanks for being so understanding, I wouldn’t even know how to feel if I were in your horseshoes.”

Soarin gave a long exasperated sigh. “Yeah it’s been tough dealing with these new, stupid wings, but things have been going better.”

Spitfire blushed. “Um..yeah I guess this has been a shitty date huh?”

The stallion shook his head as he stammered, “Oh no, it’s been fine, just...um…”

Spitfire could see he was holding back and persisted. “What is it?”

He looked back at Spitfire and replied “Look, I know you've been busy and this whole ordeal has been hard on us. But why didn't you visit me while I was in the hospital?”

Spitfire turned her head in shame, “I was afraid he would ask this.”

Swallowing the lump in her throat, shewhispered, “I...I couldn’t deal with putting off our practices to visit you. I know how bad that sounds, but trust me we all care for you and it tore me apart. But with you in the hospital and the doctors telling us it could be months before you were up and flying again. We had to redesign our maneuvers without you.”

Soarin stood there still poking the pie with a fork listening as Spitfire turned to him and continued, “It's just I never had to deal with being a boss and being a marefriend at the same time. Truth is I just needed time to get things together.”

Soarin nodded solemnly and mumbled, “I understand.”Right, I get it, she has to put the needs of the team first. Even if she were to be my marefriend, the Wonderbolts is what she’s truely devoted to. He continued prodding the pie with a fork as Spitfire chuckled, “Not hungry?”

Soarin looked up blushing. “Oh just...uh...I haven't had a craving for sweets lately.”

Spitfire scoffed. “Really? I always known you for a pie lover Clipper. Don’t get skinny on me.”

The stallion laughed patting his gut. “It’ll be some time before I can really start flying so I guess I should watch what I eat.”

She sighed, throwing a bag of bits on the table, “Well eat to your heart’s content and work on your training. I'm sure you’ll pass the retrial.”

Soarin saluted his former captain. “I won’t let you down captain! Soon i'll be flying right alongside you again.”

The mare gave ahim a hopeful smile, “I’m sure you will Clipper.”

As Spitfire left Sugarcube Corner, Soarin gulped and started to shake all over as anxiety started to build inside him. “Oh man what if I don’t pass the retrial? What would I do? How am I even supposed to practice intense maneuvers with these stupid delicate wings?” Pinkie Pie then bounced into him shouting, “Soarin why didn’t you tell me you were in Ponyville!”

He groaned as he endured Pinkie’s hug and she squealed, “You should’ve told me, I totally would’ve thrown you a party! Also look at your pretty wings! Can I touch them, please!”

Soarin sighed. “If it gets you to leave me alone sure.” Thus with a small nod,the excited pink pony started to poke at the soft wings, giggling at the sensation. “Wow they’re so soft! You have the coolest wings ever!”

Soarin however, didn’t quite agree. “Yeah, cool. If by cool you mean so delicate I’m actually worried I might rip them during practice or the retrial. l Never being in the Wonderbolts is bad enough! Never flying again would be a hundred times worse!” He turned attention back to the other pie at his table and just started to gobble it up, along with his milkshake. Pinkie Pie watched with a surprise,as he slammed the glass down and asked, ”Can I have another round?”

She squeaked, “Certainly, coming right up!” then bounced off with a huge smile.


Above the skies in Ponyville, Rainbow Dash was flying through the clouds, enjoying the warm sun on her face, when she caught sight of Spitfire exiting Sugarcube Corner. Rainbow Dash had her hooves pressed into her face as she watched Spitfire adjusting her sunglasses, before zeroing her sights on Dash.

“Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh,”
Was all the cyan pegasus could stutter as one of the mare’s hero came up right to her with a smirk. “Hey squirt, thanks again for saving our rumps.”

Rainbow Dash laughed nervously, scratching the back of her head in embarrassment, “Uh anytime Spitfire.”

The sight of Dash suddenly got Spitfire thinking, as she took another glance at Sugar Cube Corner. “Soarin’s gonna need all the help he can get if he wants to pass the retrial.” She turned her gaze back to Dash, still sweating and stuttering with each passing second. “Kid’s still a little wet behind the ears, but definitely a skilled flyer. You have to be to pull off a Sonic Rainboom...I wonder.” She then asked, “Hey listen squirt, think you’d be willing to do me r a favor?

Rainbow Dash gasped in disbelief and shouted, “You want me to do a favor for you!?”

Spitfire chuckled at the mares exaggerated reaction, “Yeah, the team and I have a lot on our hooves and...well you know what happened with Soarin right? He needs to learn how to fly again and I think you’d be a excellent coach.”

Rainbow Dash still in disbelief shouted, “Wait, you want me to coach Soarin!”

Spitfire continued, ”Hey you were pretty good at the Young Flyers Competition. I have confidence you can at least get him to learn the basics so he can rejoin the Wonderbolts.”

Rainbow Dash shook her head, confused on what she just heard. “Wait, did I hear that right? You kicked Soarin out of the Wonderbolts?!”

Spitfire continued in a irritated tone. “Rainbow I had to, at least until he can learn to fly like he used to. Were going to have a retrial in a month and I need you to get him ready.”

Rainbow Dash thought for a second. “Oh my gosh! I’d have the chance to help one of my heroes get back on his hooves. I might even be able to land a spot with the Wonderbolts.! This is going to be awesome!” She saluted Spitfire. “ You can count on me! I’ll get Soarin flying again in no time!”

Spitfire laughed, “Great, well I better get going. I'm going to be late for a training session. Don’t let me down!”

The fiery pegasus flew off as Rainbow Dash went inside Sugarcube Corner giggling to see Soarin. “Oh man this is going to be awesome worki-”

Then her mouth dropped, seeing Soarin gorging on pies and chugging down his tenth milkshake with ponies all around cheering him on shouting, “Chug! Chug! Chug!”

Pinkie, who was shouting with them, saw Rainbow and squealed, “Hey Rainbow Dash you have to see this! Soarin's going for his twentieth pie!”

Rainbow Dash just gaped at what she saw, her hero with dozens of pie tins scattered all over his table among numerous empty glasses. “What the heck is going on here?”

The cyan pegasus, after shaking off the shock, slowly went up to the stallion and tried to get him to pause from his….sugar binge. “Uh Soarin...you doing okay?”

He finished chugging another milkshake. “I’m fine, just enjoying some milkshakes and pie.” Rainbow Dash just looked over the piles of empty pie tins and empty milk shake glasses. “Yeah I can see that…”

Soarin gave a loud belch, which lead to cheering from the crowd, as he went to devour another pie. Rainbow Dash gulped at the sight, “Hey, listen Soarin. Normally I’d probably be right there with you on this, but I think you should probably stop. I mean Spitfire told me about the retrial and….”

The mention of the retrial sent the stallion’s eyes open wide, as if snapped out of a trace. A single glance at the mess he’d made caused him to drop his half drank milkshake, almost coughing up what was still in his throat. Another look over the end result of his little bender and shot out the door with Pinkie pie groaning, “Oh,Dash, he was going for Ponyville’s record!”

Rainbow Dash was still confused but knew she had more important concerns, “Uh... I better go find him and see what's going on.” She then flew off after the former Wonderbolt.


Rainbow Dash flew to Rarity’s boutique, finding d the white coated unicorn upstairs knocking. “Soarin, what’s wrong darling, please open up?”

Rainbow dash blinked again “Soarin locked himself up in his room? What in Equestria happened to him?” She slowly crept upstairs towards Rarity., “Hey, is everything okay?”

Rarity turned to Rainbow and shrugged. ”I don’t know, he just flew in and locked himself in his room.”

They both turned to the locked door as they heard a click and Soarin peeked through, “Oh, hey, sorry about earlier Rainbow Dash.”

She laughed, “Oh it’s no problem. I mainly just wanted to tell you that Spitfire told about what’s going on and asked me to help coach you on how to fly.

Soarin blushed at the mention of Spitfire, “Sh..she did?”

The cyan pegasus continued, ”Yep, and I promise I'll do my best and turn you into an even better flyer than you were before d. Heck, I taught Fluttershy how to fly a little, so you know I’m good.”

Rarity whispered, “Hey, don’t give up yet darling. Rainbow Dash is one of the best flyers in all of ponyville and she’s going to get you back on your hooves.”

Soarin looked up and whispered, ”Yeah, maybe… It’ll be weird telling my parents I made it into the Wonderbolts a second time, but be kinda of funny too.”

Rarity laughed, “That’s the spirit, now go down there and let’s get you started.”

Soarin gave nod smiling back at Rarity, “Thanks for the pep talk.” He then ran down the stairs shouting, “Hey Rainbow Dash, lets go!”