• Published 19th Sep 2017
  • 2,198 Views, 62 Comments

Soarin's New Wings - Foal Star



During a freak accident, Soarin's wings were changed into beautiful butterfly wings and now he has to deal with accepting his loss, and learn to use his new wings.

  • ...
5
 62
 2,198

Chapter 9: A New oppurtunity

It’d been three weeks since Soarin and Spitfire had their first date and things had since quieted down, at least as far as dramatic events were concerned. Truthfully, after opening up to Spitfire and hitting it off, both ponies had fallen into their own personal routines.

In the case of Soarin, she was practicing her cheerleading routine with her fellow mares in the early morning.

“Alright ladies, let's go, five, six, seven, eight.” Currently, she was showing the group how to properly wave their pom poms as they flew into the air. Soarin was currently fluttering in front of the group chanting, “Come on, make those pom poms sizzle! Get those wings in the air show some pride!” The girls were able to pull off the trick, but given they’d been practicing for some time and were visibly exhausted, they clearly weren’t in an especially cheerful mood. Soarin shook her head seeing that her teammates were beyond tired and she settled down back on the clouds with the rest of her tired team, panting with exhaustion.

Soarin shined her wings and gave them all a smile, trying to raise their spirits.. “You all did an excellent job! Tomorrow, we're going to blow Cloudsdale away. So you all get a good night sleep and be here tomorrow at noon for the show and remember, if your uniforms are torn or feeling worn out please let me know.”

The mares all raised their pom-poms in the air, managing to muster out a half than normal volume, “Go Wonderbolts,” before breaking formation and casually started chatting amongst themselves. Soarin strode through the locker rooms sweating as she changed out of of her uniform, only to squeak in surprise when Rainbow Dash suddenly popped in., “Oh, Rainbow it’s been awhile.”

Rainbow nodded, chuckling a little at her friend’s shy response. “Yeah, sorry I haven’t dropped by more often, been pretty busy. Heard ya helped Fluttershy with her butterflies. I swear she just won’t stop talking about it.”

Soarin threw a hoof in the air. “Oh, that? It was nothing, just had to show them how to flutter. Pretty easy once I got the hang of it.”

Rainbow smirked. “Yeah well, I have to thank you...she usually asks me to do it and I’m not exactly fond doing that kind of frilly, girly stuff. Anyway, figured I owe you for taking over for me and helping her out, so I was gonna ask if I could try out the spa with you...my treat.”

She blushed. “Sure why not? I don’t think I could pass up a free trip to the spa. “

Rainbow, excited by the response, got readyto fly off but stopped midway out of the locker room. “But, you better not tell anypony." Soarin laughed, thinking how Rarity would react to Rainbow Dash’s apparent attempts to hide her feminine interests. “I won't, trust me. Though not sure what you’re so worried about, I enjoyed going to the spa even back when I was a stallion.”

Rainbow only let out an irritated sigh. “Just promise me okay.”

“Alright, I swear on my honor as a former Wonderbolt.”

Rainbow flew down, smile returned to her face. "Okay, I’ll see you there." She then quickly flew off as Soarin shrugged and started taking off her skirt and shirt, turning to see Spitfire walking smirking at the former stallion. “Just saw Dash fly by, mind telling me what you two were chatting about?”

Soarin just shrugged. “Nothing crazy, she just wants to treat me to the spa for helping her get out of flying with butterflies. You can come if you want?”

Soarin grunted, cracking her wings. “Well, my wings have been feeling pretty stiff these last couple of weeks and it would be nice to get to know more about Rainbow. Girl may be a little cocky, but she’s prime Wonderbolt material.” Soarin laughed. “Yeah, she is. I've never met such a determined young mare. Well…. ,maybe since I met you.”

Spitfire eyed her marefriend and asked, "should I be worried?”

Soarin scoffed and rolled her eyes. “I would never cheat on you.”

Spitfire smirked. “Yeah, because if you did your butt would be wearing a pink tutu every time you did your cheerleading routine.”

Soarin squeaked as she jumped back causing Spitfire to giggle“but “Though, given how you are now, I’m not sure if that would really be a punishment."

Soarin rolled her eyes. “Haha, very funny I may be girlybut I’m not that girly.”

Spitfire just rubbed her hoof over Soarin’s shoulders and cooed, “Alright, alright, don’t get angry at me.”

Soarin giggled and nuzzled Spitfire’s neck and whispered, “Oh, I can’t get angry at you.”

They held each other then Soarin pecked a kiss on Spitfire’s cheek and the orange coated mare smirked, “Alright, my filly, you ready to go?”

Soarin laughed as she spread her butterfly wings, “Alright, how about we race, first one to the spa get’s to decide our date this weekend.”

Spitfire ground her hoof into the floor, “You’re on Clipper.”

The two then ran out of the locker room and Spitfire blasted into the air, but to her surprise Soarin lifted her wings and flew on a gust of wind, soaring right past her.

“Wow, looks like Soarin’s got quite the handle on her new wings. Guess I need to focus a little more or I might might actually lose.”


Soarin was squinting as she flew on the air currents,watching Spitfire streaming down towards Ponyville Spa. Not wanting to lose, Soarin bent down and went into a straight nose dive as the two were neck and neck. Rainbow Dash, having just just arrived at the spa looked up and smirked seeing the two both land in front of her. The two took a moment to collect themselves before asking the obvious question, “Who won!?”

Rainbow Dash blinked. “Um...I..I couldn't tell I think it was a tie.”

Soarin scoffed, “Come on Rainbow, if I lost I can handle it.”

Rainbow Dash blushed and replied back. “I’m serious, it was really too close to tell. I’m actually surprised you were able to keep up with Spitfire Soarin.”

The captain of the Wonderbolts turned with a smile to Soarin and cooed, “Well, since it’s a tie, we both decide something to do this weekend.”

Soarin giggled and nudged Spitfire, “Sure, now come on, let’s get in a soak.” Spitfire just gently nudged Saorin back as Rainbow Dash shook her head and opened the door to the spa.

Soon the three mares were all soaking in a hot tub together with Dash quivering with excitement and nervousness seeing Spitfire a feet away from her relaxing with Soarin, who had on a green mud mask while reading a newspaper scoffing. “Would you look at this Spitfire, the once great Wonderbolt Soarin, is now just a sissy cheerleader with flimsy looking wings! Can you believe this!”

Spitfire threw hoof. “Relax Clipper, it's just the press, they're always trying to cause drama.”

Soarin scoffed.“Still, you don't think that, right?”

Spitfire shook her head. “No way, I think we compliment each other perfectly. You warm up the crowd and we wow them, perfect tag team performance.”

Rainbow Dash shouted, “Yeah, you guys are like amazing! I mean, even I’m not a big fan of the cheerleading squad but I can tell you guys are crazy good.”

Soarin blushed and ran her hoof through the steaming water as she whispered, “Thanks, but I can't take all the credit, my team works very hard to perfect that routine.”

Spitfire held one of Soarin’s hooved and commented, “Come on Soarin, take some pride, you're doing amazing. And don't worry about what some reporter says.”

Soarin sighed “Yeah I guess you're right.”

The pairs conversation was interrupted by the sound of another pony entering the room. They turned to find a rather elegant looking unicorn with a stunning white coat,dark blue eyes and glimmering,flowing mane standing near the edge of the tub. A closer inspection revealed her cutie mark to be a pair of yellow ballet slippers printed on her rump. She gave the mares a gentle smile and asked, “Uh, hey, all the other hot baths are taken, do you mind sharing?”

Spitfire casually patted the water like it were a spot on the couch. “No problem, come on in, there’s plenty of room."

The strange unicorn eagerly entered and settled down into the bubbling, steaming water, moaning as she slowly sank in. “Oooh, thank you, this feels amazing.”

Rainbow Dash eyed the strange mare and asked. “So who are you? I’ve never seen you in Ponyville before?”

The mare, whose soaking mane was currently covering her eyes, gave her head a good shake so that she could make eye contact with Rainbow. “Oh, I’m Glass Hooves, and you’re right, I'm actually from Canterlot.”

Soarin intrigued asked, “So, what's your profession?"

She blushed and continued, “I’m actually in the Royal Canterlot Ballet.”

Soarin blinked and turned the newspaper to a section on a review of said Ballet, recalling that it had been described as stunning the very definition of grace. She blinked as she gave the article another look over. “Wow, you mares can twirl in the air without wings!?”

The mare laughed. “Well it takes a lot or practicing, but yes. Though, you need to be very extremely flexible and the shows are exhausting. Ponies always get the wrong idea about ballet thinking it's just for little fillies.”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes and scoffed, “Sure it is.” Her tone earned a weak glare from Soarin, causing her to sink further into the water.

Spitfire asked, “Dang, so what bring a ya to Ponyville?”

She sighed. “Sadly one of our dancers retired recently and we’ve been looking for a replacement.I’m holding trials in Ponyville to see if there’s any talent here.”

She lifted herself out of the water enough to grab the newspaper Soarin had been holding and flipped it until she got to a page before hoofing it over to Soarin, “Here, I even put an ad in the newspaper.”

The mare all looked down at the small panel where a picture of a twirling pony with the message, “Join the royal canterlot ballet.Auditions at the skating rink from 9am to 4pm.”

Soarin looked up with a surprised look and asked, “So, anypony can join?”

The mare just seeped into the hot tub and nodded. “Yes, it doesn't matter as long as you have the drive and the tallent.”

Soarin looked down then back at the article...thinking…, “Should I try out?


After the spa, Soarin ran out after Glass Hooves shouting, “Wait up!”

Glass Hooves turned and smiled, “Oh, Soarin was it, what’s up?”

The blue coated mare gasped, “Looks I need to ask, I don’t have any previous experience with ballet but I’m really graceful with my wings and I was a Wonderbolt for five years. I just wanted to ask if it was okay if I could have some practice and tryout for the Royal Canterlot Ballet before you leave.”

Glass Hooves smiled, “Oh, that’s wonderful. However, learning ballet can take years, and tryouts are till the end of the month. I would love to have you, but it’d b be quite the challenge. Are you sure you want to try?”

Soarin smirked. “I can do it, you'd be surprised what I can do in a month.”

Glass Slippers waved a hoof signaling him to follow her. “Alright, then come with me, can give you some things to get you started.”

The mare followed Slippers to her home and looked around at the awards and pictures of the ballerina with her group. Soarin just gasped at her trophy case, cluttered with countless gold medals and glittering cups, while the ballerina grabbed a yellow tutu,a pair of yellow slippers and a book called, “Basics of Ballet.”

Once she had everything, she hoofed them over to Soarin. “Alright, that’s everything that you’re going to need as far as the basics are concerned. Now, I know the tutu may look embarrassing but it’s standard attire.”

Soarin squeaked seeing the tutu and whimpered stepping back. “Uh...are you sure I can’t I wear anything else?”

Glass Slippers chuckled, “Oh trust me it’s not that bad. Anyways just read this book and learn the basics.”

Soarin blushed now with her tutu slippers and book, “Thanks, but um, why would you give me all this? We just met.”

Glass Slippers giggled,“Soarin you were a Wonderbolt and I've heard all about you as a cheerleader. You have a lot of talent and I think you can do more.”

Soarin sighed as she bowed her head as she flapped her butterfly wings. “Yeah, thanks for the support. I’ll do what I can”

Glass Slippers pat Soarin’s back. “You don't have to do this if you don’t want to. I’m just saying, you can do whatever you want.”

Soarin gulped as she started to sweat a little, “Is being a ballerina something I really want to do?”


Soarin was now back in her room at Rarity's, reading the basics on being a ballerina on her bed. Sweetie Belle popped into the room and shouted, “Hey Soarin what’re ya doin!”

The winged mare squealed, jumping up, sending the book flying off the bed. After a second to slow her racing heart, she looking at the little filly. “Oh, it’s just you Sweetie Belle.”

The filly picked up the book that fell on the ground and giggled at the title. “So why you reading about ballerinas?”

Soarin blushed as she picked the book up and sighed, “Hey Sweetie Belle I...I think iI think I have a cutie mark problem.”

Sweetie Belle’s eyes practically turned into stars as she squealed “You do!?”

She nods, prompting the filly to immediately hop onto the bed next to her.. “So what's up?”

Soarin turned, “So I'm going to tell you a secret and you can't tell anypony.”

Sweetie Belle nodded eagerly, excited more than ever. Soarin sighed, “I...I don't want to be a cheerleader.”

Sweetie Belle gasped “Oh why?”

She sighed, “Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the job and love my team, but it's just not challenging. As a Wonderbolt I could push myself to my limits and try to be better all the time. That's why I got my cutie mark.” Soarin quietly pointed to the mark on her flank, a bolt of lightning splitting two clouds. “I loved flying faster than anypony and when I was a Wonderbolt, I could do that whenever I wanted. But, now since I got these wings and got reduced to a cheerleader, I can’t challenge myself anymore. There’s no speed, no excitement, by the end of practice everypony else is exhausted while I’m not even winded. I just don’t feel as fulfilled, so I thought maybe…” She shifted over to the ballet book, “Maybe this could be what I’m looking for.”

She showed Sweetie Belle the flyer. “I think I should become a professional ballerina.”

Sweetie Belle gasped, “Wow really!? But don’t you have to wear those embarrassing pink tutus.”

Soarin shook her head, “No you wear black leotards and yellow tutus nothing too emberassing.”

Sweetie Belle gaped “Oh!”

Soarin sighed, “So with your experience what do you think? Would quitting being a cheerleader be doing the right thing?”


Sweetie Belle tapped a hoof on her chin. “I think you should do what makes you happy and if your not happy being a cheerleader and you think being a ballerina will help. Why not?!”

Soarin smiled at the filly’s response. “Thanks...I..I think I might actually go for it.”

Sweetie Belle nodded and nuzzled Soarin. “Alright, if you need anything else let me know.”

Soarin hugged her and pat the filly’s head and just thought to herself, “Yeah, I want to be my own mare, but I don’t want to disappoint Spitfire either. If I go ahead with this I need to find a way to tell Spitfire how I feel.”