• Published 19th Sep 2017
  • 2,198 Views, 62 Comments

Soarin's New Wings - Foal Star



During a freak accident, Soarin's wings were changed into beautiful butterfly wings and now he has to deal with accepting his loss, and learn to use his new wings.

  • ...
5
 62
 2,198

Chapter 1: A strange hospital visit

a week later…

One early afternoon when Nurse Redheart was strolling through the halls heading towards Soarin’s room, she grumbled to herself, “It’s nearly noon and he’s still not up. Soarin is starting to get on my nerves.” She opened his door and found Soarin slumped over snoring in his hospital bed and turned to his uneaten breakfast. “This stallion is going to be the death of me.”

She stomped a hoof on the ground and growled. “Soarin, get up!” He moaned, rolling over on his side just great I was hoping I could get some time to myself today, “No five more minutes.” The nurse persisted in her nagging tone. “Get up Soarin, you need to stretch your wings.”

He turned over with a glare on his face She wants me to do those stupid exercises again, well screw that! He flexed his butterfly wings out to their full extent and shouted. “See they’re fine! Can you just leave me alone!” He fell back onto his bed and pulled the covers up to his chin.

Nurse Redheart sighed, pausing for a second. She looked up and continued in a more reassuring tone, “Look I know you're upset and angry I get that, but if you want to get out of here we need to make sure there’s no complications with your wings.”

Soarin thought for a second and slowly turned towards the nurse with his serious look, “I'm not leaving until my wings are normal, and exercises won’t help with that.”

Redheart stomped her hoof in frustration, “ Soarin, you need to do your exercises, there is no cure right now, and they’re not going away anytime soon, so get your lazy rump up or i’m going to have to stay here until you do.”

Soarin sighed. She really is pestering today, and slowly pulled the blanket off him and fell onto the floor, his sparkling butterfly unfurling. He grumbled, “Alright fine guess you have a point.”

Redheart gave an exasperated sigh and mumbled. “I'm glad you're finally seeing some sense.”

She looked down at his tray of uneaten food and said, “You should eat your breakfast first.” As she walked out the door Soarin went over to his tray glaring at the cold scrambled eggs and orange juice and grumbled. “Okay mom, whatever you say.”


They were out in the yard with sun shining down on them. Redheart’s eyes were wide open gazing upon Soarin with astonishment. His butterfly wings glistened in the sun like morning dew with the eye catching light flooding the field. Soarin, who was irritated, stomped a hoof and grumbled. “Why do you always stare at me like that.”

The nurse blushed hard and whispered. “Oh i’m sorry, it’s just well... they’re very eye-catching.”

Soarin rolled his eyes and began scanning the field and asked, “Um so what do you want me to do?”

Redheart cleared her throat and looked down at her chart, “Right, first how about the basics, start by doing the normal checkup, lift them up and down, but slowly no flying yet.”

Soarin grumbled at the request, but did as the nurse asked, slowly flapping his wings. He blushed thinking I still can’t believe how light these things feel like, it’s like they’re not even there. He looked up at Nurse Redheart and asked. “Um...so what do you think?”

Redheart scratched her chin. “Seems like they function normally, how about flapping them a bit faster just so we can be sure you can lift yourself off the ground.”

Soarin flapped them about faster and he started to build momentum. This is so weird. His blush grew over his face as his body started to float into the sky and asked. “So um do you see and problems?”

The nurse shook her head smiling, “Not from what I can see, you’re doing great. Come down now I think that’s enough for today.”

Soarin gave a nod and started to lower himself, but suddenly a gust of wind swept him off and he started to float away. He tried to flap but the wind’s power was too much for his fragile wings and stayed fully open he squealed in terror, “Redheart I can’t move my wings!”

Redheart’s cheeks were bloated as she was do everything in her willpower not to laugh and gasped then shouted. “Close them! You’ll just drop on your rump!”

Soaring gulped, looking down. He closed his wings and gasped as he fell to the ground with a plop on his rump. Redheart ran over and started look for injuries. “Soarin are you okay? Anything broken?!”

The stallion got up rubbing his rump with a hoof and mumbled. “Only my pride.”

Redheart still checked his wings and looked them over with intense scrutiny and seeing them undamaged she sighed in relief, “Alright everything’s good, looks like you’re going to have to get used to them.”

Soarin got up and grumbled. “Yeah I get it, can I just go back to my room now?”

Redheart shook her head. “No not just yet, come on I need to discuss some things with you first.” He gave a slight nod and followed her back into the hospital.


Nurse Redheart was with Soarin back in her office looking wide eyes at the X-rays of his wings on her desk, the bones on his back were clearly attached to his new butterfly wings and whispered. “Wow...it’s like as if I had these all my life.”

The nurse gave a small sigh before explaining, “That’s right, they’re fully intact and are healthy and strong. This isn't just any enchantment, whatever happened may have permanently morphed your wings forever.” Soarin gulped looking down at the pictures again and whimpered, “Bu...but Twilight was looking for a cure, that’s what she said.”

Redheart put the pictures aside and pulled out some charts placing them in front of soarin and continued, “Soarin, your old wings as of right now are gone forever and have transformed into those and are a part of your body now.” Soarin looked over the charts and graphs gulping at each one, “But Twilight said this can be reversed. I mean shouldn’t I stay here until she finds a cure?”

Redheart shrugged. “I don’t know anything about magic, but I know a lot about the pony anatomy. From what those tests we gave you, it seems at least for the meantime you’re stuck with those.”

Soarin looked back down, slumping into his chair. Tears started rolling down his face. He shook his head as he gave a long sigh. “Fine, whatever I’ll deal with these stupid wings for now.”

Redheart smiling, continued. ”That's wonderful to hear, because we think it's about time you left the hospital.”

Soarin looked up in surprise, “But where am I supposed to go?! I mean yeah it seems I'm healthy but I can’t fly to Cloudsdale; I can barely get ten feet off the ground!”

Redheart giggled and replied with a sweet smile, ”Oh don’t worry about that, Rarity came by the other day and said you can stay at her place until you're used to your new wings.”

Soarin gave the nurse a confused look and shrugged. “Sure I..I guess that's fine.”

She paused for a moment chuckling before adding, “Oh one more thing from your blood tests it seems that you have low testosterone.” His eyes went up with surprise as she took out a pill bottle, “These should help with that take one day but no more than one, also you need to take it easy with those wings, first off don’t fly too high to the sun. You saw what happened to Rarity’s wings when she did that.” Soarin gave a nod as she continued with the lecture, ”No tricks, no stunts, no dangerous maneuvers either, nothing like that those wings are very fragile.”

Soarin grunted and gave another nod. She then ended it, “Also no rough playing, and that includes any kind of sports like hoofball or running too hard. Keep things light for at least a few weeks; your body may still need to adjust.”

He just gave another nod as he thought Great seems like I’m going to be treated like a damsel for the next few weeks, soon my nickname is going to change from clipper to flutter.

“Yeah,” Redheart continued, “Now for the time you stay in Ponyville. I want to see you at least once a week for a checkup for the first month. Just to be on the safe side.”

Soarin rolled his eyes as he got up. “Alright, alright I get it. Can I go to my room and pack now?”

Redheart nodded. “Yes you may, sorry for pestering you so much...I’m just looking out for your wellbeing.”

Soarin turned with a sigh, “It’s alright, I get it.”


After his meeting with Redheart, Soarin was walking back to his room, lost in his own thoughts, Rarity wants me to live with her? Why? I mean that’s nice of her, but still it just seems odd.

He eventually came to his room, and opened the door to see that all his things were already packed with large bulky stallions taking his stuff downstairs. He shook his head and shouted, ”Hey wait!? Who are you guys!”

“Oh don’t fret about that darling.”

Surprised, the blue-coated stallion turned to see Rarity standing near his hospital bed with a sweet smile. He blinked in surprise and whispered, ”Rarity? What are you doing here?”

The white coated mare threw a hoof. “Oh just packing your stuff up darling, you’ll be living with me for a while until you get used to your new wings.”

The bashful pegasus gave his butterfly wings a few flaps. “Yeah I heard from Nurse Redheart, thank you, I hope it won't be too much trouble.”

Rarity waved a hoof at him and said, “Oh of course not darling, it’s the least I can do for you trying to save my life.”

Soarin turned his head as he ground his hoof in the ground. “Well I didn’t really, Rainbow Dash is the one who saved both our lives.”

Rarity came over and picked his head up. “Don’t be so hard on yourself darling, Now come on how about I treat you to some lunch. I’m sure you must be tired of the hospital food.”

Soarin followed after her smirking. “Yeah you can say that again.”


The two were now outside of a nice restaurant sitting across from each other on small table. The waiter came by and asked, “What do you wish to order?”

Soarin spoke first. “A thick apple pie and cup of coffee for me please.” The waiter wrote his order down then turned to Rarity who smiled and replied, ”A salad and a cup of tea, for me darling. No sugar please.”

The waiter nodded writing down her order, then read off the order, “One apple pie and one salad co-”

Soarin blushed and raised a hoof, “Actually I wouldn’t mind trying the salad and um...a cup of a tea as well.” The waiter was a bit surprised, though he still changed the order and replied, “Very well, two salads and two cups of tea coming right up.” As the waiter left Soarin blinked shaking his head, Wait why did I change my order?”

Rarity giggled at the blushing stallion and asked, “Oh, you on a diet?”

Soarin shrugged and said, “Well , since i'm going to be sitting around a lot might as well watch what I eat.” He heard some snickering and turned to see ponies all around looking at his butterfly wings. He tried to fold them oh just wonderful, Soarin the great wonderbolt reduced to a blushing fairy. Then he heard, “Darling, don’t worry about them.” Soarin turned to see Rarity smiling at him. “Ignore them; let’s just focus on us for now.”

He smiled then turned to see that the waiter putting their salads and their cups of tea in front of them. Both Soarin and Rarity gave their thanks as the waiter bowed and asked, “Now do you wish for any dressings for your salads?”

Rarity just waved a hoof, “Just olive oil, darling.” Soarin gave a nod turned to the waiter, “Olive oil for me as well please.” The waiter bowed, took a bottle, and gently poured it onto their salads before strolling off.

The stallion started to eat forkfuls of salad as Rarity eyed him eating his salad. What’s going on with him? I’ve always heard he would never turn down pie. She asked in a suspicious tone, “I don’t mean to be rude, but are you copying me?”

He blushed and shook his head. “No I...um... just suddenly felt like salad really.”

Rarity laughed. “Alright darling, I’m just curious.” They continued chowing down for some time. Soarin looked a little blue munching on his salad in solace. Rarity thought Seems like there’s a lot on his mind, I should try to have him open up. She put on a smile and asked, “So Soarin, what's on your mind?”

He shrugged and mumbled. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

Rarity whispered sweetly at him, “Darling, just tell me I’m here.”

He gave a long exasperated sigh. “Well I was thinking about my fellow wonderbolts? Where were they while I was in the hospital? I haven’t seen the whole team come in once, and Spitfire I’ve only see her twice since my accident.” He slammed a hoof and shouted, “Worse! When Spitfire visited she acted like nothing happened! She kept on treating at me as if I was disabled!” He paused, his breath moving his mane out of his eyes. Wait why am I getting so emotional about this? The team is probably busy getting ready for the Galloping Gala and Spitfire has a lot on her mind. But still, it still hurts.

Soarin looked up surprised to see Rarity wipe a tear from her eye as she whispered, “That’s terrible, but how were the nurses and doctors? I’m sure they gave you company?”

Soarin scoffed and continued. “As if, Nurse Redheart was nice don’t get me wrong. But, she kept on pestering me the entire time I was in the hospital and treating me like I was made of glass. It was beyond irritating.” He paused again shaking his head. What in Equestria is going on with me?

Rarity shook her head with a sad look on her face. “How awful darling, I can't even imagine what you’re going through you right now.”

Soarin shook his head and stuffed more salad in his mouth. “No I...I shouldn't...I mean I got carried away.” He took his tea and started gulping it down.

Rarity shook her head and retorted, “Please darling, you can't bottle your emotions, you need to vent. I know from personal experience.”

He shrugged unsure of what to say and continued munching on his salad.

Rarity thought to herself, Wow Soarin must be going through a lot; from what Rainbow Dash told me about him he never acts like this. She then decided to changed the subject. “Alright but how was your day so far? Things must have gotten better.”

He looked at Rarity with a soft smile, ”Well I have to say today has been great, I mean after leaving the hospital that is. Having real food and just talking with somepon…” He blushed as he whispered. ”Sorry, I’ve been more talkative than usual.”

Rarity shook her head. “No it’s alright go on.”

He gulped as he looked up at Rarity smiling as he finished his sentence. “Well, I guess it’s just nice to talk to somepony about this.” He started tearing up a little chewing on his salad more slowly and calmly.

Rarity drank her cup of tea with smile and cooed, “It's alright darling I'm glad you can talk to me.”

Soarin sighed, seeing his empty plate and pushed back into his chair. What is going on with me? I mean I don't think I’ve ever opened before like that and mumbled. “Yeah I guess so...I'm not feeling well. Can we leave?”

Rarity waved a hoof as she out a bag of bits on the table. “Of course darling, come on, I’m sure all your stuff should be at my boutique by now.” He slowly got up and started to walk off with Rarity still keeping his wings folded.