• Published 1st Apr 2018
  • 27,649 Views, 769 Comments

How many lovers have you made today? - Sarcastic Brony



With things improving, Celestia is now interested in trying to court Anon but things are never that simple when it comes to Anon.

  • ...
76
 769
 27,649

Healing wounds

Trixie is out and about in Canterlot as she browses the various shops she passes by. The only thing on her mind at the moment is what she should make for dinner tonight. A few fruit stands litter the streets and she entertains the thought of making a pie. It’s been some time since she’s made anything with apples in it, but decides to pass on the idea. Not too long ago, she nearly burned down her home during a cooking fiasco.

Darn, she needs to look into improving her current home/stage to make it fireproof. However, an upgrade of that caliber requires time and bits, two things she’s in short supply of. She affords herself a sigh as melancholy thoughts come to her. Ever since Ponyville, she’s been forced to rely on her savings merely to get by. The new carriage put a significant dent into years worth of hard work, but was a necessary investment should she return to performing magic acts. Though, she has yet to rediscover the nerve to put herself out there.

Performing is without a doubt her talent and something she greatly enjoys, but since ponies found out her wild stories are made up, many have shunned her. She misses the smiles her tricks used to bring to the masses; fillies and colts would laugh and cheer alongside their parents. It wasn’t uncommon for a pony to visit her backstage and thank her for lifting their spirits on a particularly dark day.

Nowadays, well, the show she put on last had barely any ponies and the few that were there only booed and heckled her until she decided to shut the show down. It’s been several months since her most recent performance, and with the things that happened in Ponyville being on the top of everyone's mind, there’s a chance they’ve since moved on from her misdeeds. A newfound spark ignites inside of her. This could be the comeback she’s been waiting for!

Only a moment passes before her body sags. That’s easier said than done. With very few bits left in her savings, she can’t afford the permit required to run a show here in Canterlot. It’ll take a lot for her to gather that much money and there’s a chance she may need to get a side job soon just to survive.

“H-Hello, Trixie.”

Freezing in place, Trixie instantly recognizes that voice. In an almost painfully slow turn, she faces Twilight, but to her surprise she’s not alone. Standing beside her is Anon.

He gives Trixie a light wave. “Hey.”

Trixie needs a moment to try to understand what has brought about this situation. She forces her attention past Twilight to Anon.

“What’s going on?” she asks, casting a brief glance down to Twilight.

“Short version: Twilight is making amends to various ponies; she wants me to help with this endeavor. In return, she’s helping me with a few things.” Anon shrugs. “Remarkably, here we are.” Placing his foot on Twilight’s flank, Anon pushes her forward. “Your turn.”

Twilight lets out a snort of frustration before returning her attention to Trixie. “I... Yeah, what Anon said.” Hanging her head low, Twilight tries to think of what to say. “I’ve been thinking about a lot of things, Trixie. Like when we first met and how poorly we treated you in Ponyville.” Twilight takes a long breath in. “It probably means nothing now, but I’m sorry for what I did back then. I know it’s of little consolation, but if there’s anything I can do to show my regret, I’m all ears.”

Trixie is left speechless. This is almost too good to be true. “Is she serious?” Trixie asks Anon.

“I believe so.” Anon scratches his chin. “Who knows, though? If you take her for a liar, that’s well within your right.”

Giving this a moment of thought, Trixie finds that perhaps Twilight may be able to solve one of her more pressing issues. It’s because of the events of Ponyville that Trixie lost her stage and was forced out of work due to unfavorable rumors spreading. If Twilight can provide her with anything, then perhaps it could be a means of easing her financial trouble.

“Twilight, after what happened in Ponyville, Trixie became a laughingstock. Trixie couldn’t even host shows to get by and has since been living off her rapidly shrinking savings.” Twilight’s ears pinned back at hearing this. “That’s not counting my home, which was destroyed by that Ursa Major.”

“Minor,” Twilight corrects.

Minor, which she might add, was only provoked due to those two colts that went galavanting into the forest!” Trixie takes a few breaths to calm herself, the memory still fresh. “Trixie was without a home for weeks before she could find a town to provide her with one, and it wasn’t cheap. So the truth is, Twilight, Trixie needs bits. She can’t even afford to pay the permits required to put on another show in this town, or any town for that matter. If you truly wish to help Trixie, then all she needs is enough bits to purchase the proper permits to run a show.”

Anon wasn’t aware that Trixie was practically at the end of her rope. “Trix, if you need money, I have plenty to―”

Trixie holds up a hoof to stop Anon. “No, I don’t want bits from you.”

Anon chews the inside of his cheek before huffing. “Very well.”

Twilight is now back in the middle as she looks between Anon and Trixie. “W-Well, I don’t have any bits,” Twilight admits. “I’ve―” her head hangs low once again “―I’ve never had a job.”

Trixie scoffs, unsurprised. “What a privileged life you live. Trixie has never been fortunate enough to have such a thing hoofed to her, but it’s a dream she longs for someday.” Repulsed, Trixie turns her back on her. “We have nothing more to discuss, Twilight.”

“Wait!” Trixie stops in her tracks. “I... I can get a permit. I’ll ask Celestia and she’ll―”

Hearing Twilight say that so casually makes something inside of Trixie snap. Twilight’s never had to work for anything; she doesn’t understand what it’s like to starve or live from paycheck to paycheck, worrying about if things will ever get better.

“Don’t you get it!?” Trixie turns back to face Twilight, an unseen level of hate in her eyes. “It means nothing if you don’t fix this! That’s how Trixie knows you’re not sorry! Because whenever you’re faced with something that can’t be solved with the wave of your horn, you wish to pawn off your trouble onto somepony else!”

Twilight takes a few steps back, eyes wide. “I-I’m sorry...”

“Leave. Me. Alone.” Trixie turns her attention to Anon. “I don’t know why you’re doing this, but please stay safe.”

Anon subtly nods his head up to a building. “I’ve got someone watching my back.” Trixie looks over to see a pony of some kind watching from afar. “Don’t forget your batch at the store. I’m sure they have it ready for you.”

“Thank you. I’ll be sure to pay you back when I can.”

Anon waves it off. “No worries. But seriously, if you need anything, don’t hesitate to ask.”

That causes Trixie to smile as she brushes past Twilight, stands on her hind hooves and hugs him. “Always so nice. See you later.”

Anon returns the hug before Trixie lands back onto her hooves and begins to leave.

“Later.” He gives her a small wave.

Trixie makes it a few hooves away before a voice calls out to her. “I’ll find a way!” Trixie looks back to see Twilight looking at her with determination. “You haven’t seen the last of me.”

Trixie rolls her eyes at this. “Trixie will be waiting, Twilight.”

With nothing more needing to be said, Trixie continues her way down the street. Once she’s far enough away, she spares a glance back at Anon and Twilight. She can’t hear them over the clamor of the ponies out and about in the city, but Anon is saying something to Twilight, to which she nods a few times as they turn the opposite direction Trixie is going and walk off. Trixie finds herself overcome with questions on what’s going on between them.

The only possible lead she may have comes from his partners that run his store. She heads that way in hopes of finding answers.


Trixie pushes open the door to Anon’s shop. It’s been some time since she’s come here. After the party, there were a lot of things going on around Canterlot with the upcoming festival. She sighs happily losing herself in the idea of being able to perform for such a vast venue. Now that would be something that would undoubtedly set her life back on track but alas it’s nothing more than a pipedream.

She needs those permits. Her thoughts on that subject cloud as the scent of candy fill her senses. It’s funny how coming here has a calming effect on her. A certain warmth she can’t place lingers in the air. That’s most likely because of Anon. Even when he’s not here, there’s a certain je ne sais quoi ever-present.

Coming to her senses, she trots up to the counter where Lyra sits in wait.

Busy with her own work, she perks up when notices Trixie is walking up. “Oh! Long time no see, Trixie. Uh―” her perkiness wavers “―Anon isn’t here.”

“I know. I spoke to him briefly outside,” Trixie states matter-of-factly.

“H-He was here?” Lyra asks hopefully.

“No, just down the street. He wished to talk to Trixie about something.” Trixie picks up on the strange vibe Lyra is giving off. “Is there a problem?”

Lyra blinks. “No, he’s just... been at the castle for a while.”

Trixie is a master of deception; it’s in her job description. So it’s easy for her to see that Lyra is holding something back. However, it’s none of her business, though it does make her wonder if they know why he’s with Twilight.

For now, she’ll focus on why she’s here. “Anon reminded Trixie you might have her order.”

Lyra nods a few times. “Yes, you can head into the back and talk to Bonbon. She’ll have it ready.”

“Thank you.”

Trixie walks around the counter and into the back kitchen. Upon entering, she finds all the ponies Anon trained hard at work, a few of them affording her a quick glance before returning to their work.

“Trixie?”

Trixie looks over to find Bonbon sitting at a desk, looking over some papers in hoof.

“Hello. Trixie has come to check if her order is ready.”

It clicks for Bonbon as she sets the various papers in her hooves down. “Yes, they should be in the back. Please, follow me.” Bonbon gets out of her chair and leads Trixie towards the back but Trixie trots up so they’re walking side by side. “It’s been awhile. We’ve been selling the ones you didn’t retrieve, but we always made sure to have a batch ready in case you came by.”

Trixie blushes at that. “Sorry to trouble you. Trixie has been busy these past few weeks.”

Bonbon chuckles out of tired understanding. “Haven't we all.” She continues to the cabinet where she’s been keeping the order. “We received a direct request to attend the upcoming event. We’ve been working tirelessly for the past couple of days, but the work’s rewarding.” She pulls out the small sack and hoofs it over to Trixie. “Still, we find time to make sure Anon’s friends are taken care of.”

“Thank you.” It’s difficult for Trixie to accept that she has friends like this. “Uh, speaking about Anon, something bizarre is going on and Trixie was wondering if you by chance knew what it might be about?”

Bonbon’s ears perk up. “Something bizarre?”

Trixie nods a few times while floating the candy from Bonbon’s hoof into her saddlebag. “Trixie knows it’s hard to imagine, but he was with Twilight this morning. He briefly said it had to do with something about her making amends and that he needed something from her. Has he talked to you about this?”

Bonbon’s withers sag. “No. We had a falling out of sorts. It’s complicated. Sorry, but at this point, you know more than I do.”

“Oh, Trixie is sorry to bring it up.” Trixie’s ears pinned back. “It wasn’t any of her business. Trixie just found it odd is all.”

“No need to feel sorry. You couldn’t have known.” Bonbon purses her lips. “Is he doing well?”

Trixie reflects on how calm and collected Anon appeared to be. “He wasn’t distressed, and considering Twilight was there that’s saying a lot.”

“It’s certainly a mystery.” Bonbon is reminded of her schedule, as well as Trixie’s. “Sorry to keep you. I’m sure you have a lot of things to do today.”

“As Trixie is sure you’re busy with your work. Thank you for the order.” Trixie gives a thankful nod. “Trixie will be sure she’s on time for the next one.”

“You’re welcome here anytime!” Bonbon waves to Trixie as she walks out of the back kitchen and towards the front. Her plastic smile fades as her mind races. Stepping into the kitchen, Bonbon turns her attention to one of her employees. “Butterhooves!”

He jumps slightly but quickly gives Bonbon a salute, smearing chocolate on his forehead.

“Yes, Ma’am!”

“I need you to work the register for a moment, please.”

“I’m on it!” He shouts while clearing his station as fast as he could.

Bonbon takes that time to walk into the storefront beside Lyra. “Follow me.”

“Is something the matter?” Lyra asks.

“It’s important, Lyra.” Bonbon urges.

Lyra is confused, but the urgency of Bonbon’s voice is enough to grab her attention. So, she follows quietly behind her.

“Are we low on ingredients?”

Bonbon shakes her head never breaking her stride. “No... Lyra, today’s the day.”

“For what?” Lyra is still confused.

Bonbon stops in the center of the street as the ponies now filter around the two of them. She turns around to face Lyra as she continues to look at her, unsure what this is all about.

“Anon is somewhere around here. We have to talk to him.” All the fur on Lyra’s body stands on edge, not a single word leaving her. Bonbon quickly closes the gap and rests a hoof on her withers. “Honey, I know... But we can’t keep hiding forever.”

“W-What if I’m not ready?” Lyra asks fearfully. “I’m afraid it’ll happen again.”

Bonbon’s hoof moves from her withers up to her cheek as she gives her a loving smile. “I believe in you. Just trust me.”

Lyra nods a few times to reassure herself. “A-Alright. Just, please, help me should I start to slip.”

Bonbon leans forward and gives Lyra a quick kiss. It’s enough to calm Lyra as their eyes meet.

“Easy enough. Now, let’s go see our friend.”


The sparkling blue eyes of Pinkie snap open as the fresh morning air wafts into her room. She springs up from her bed with a broad smile plastered on her face.

“~Good morning, Gummy!~” Pinkie sings before looking to the extra pillow that rests beside her own. There she finds Gummy all curled up on top. “Ready for breakfast?”

He lazily opens his eyes, looks at Pinkie for a moment before licking them and resting his head to sleep. Pinkie shakes her head with a playful smirk.

“Oh, Gummy. Still the lazy lizard, but Mama Pinkie knows how to make you feel better.”

With the swift pulling motion of one of the strings beside her bed, the curtains fly open, allowing the sun to come rushing into the room; covering the small reptile in its warming rays.

“There we go! You’ll be up and warm in no time.” Pinkie explains as she hops off the bed. “I’ll get breakfast ready.”

With no response from Gummy, Pinkie trots from her room and down into the kitchen. Once there, she takes a moment to decide what she wants for breakfast. She taps a hoof idly to her lip in thought.

“I would like to cook something, but my tummy is still queasy... Nevertheless, you can’t start a day without breakfast.” In one swift motion, she moves to one of her cabinets and pulls out a bowl and cereal box. “Nothing a little cereal can’t fix!”

With each scoop, she feels her spirits starting to soar as her mind begins to wander over what she’ll be baking today. It’s been some time since she’s last worked and that’s what’s causing a lot of her anxiety, but she’s sure it’ll be just like it was before she left. Though that matters little to her! Before all that stuff, she needs to head over to Fluttershy’s to help her with a few things.

Sure, her animals are well behaved, but feeding them all can be a hassle, and with nothing better to occupy her time, Pinkie decided to spend it on helping Fluttershy. It’s hard for Pinkie to admit that she didn’t know Fluttershy all that well. She was just a friend of a friend, but with everything that’s happened, Pinkie has been taking her time to learn more about the ponies around her.

Before, any creature would just become her friend willy-nilly. Pinkie is ashamed that other than their name and perhaps birthday, she didn’t know anyone very well that weren’t part of the Elements, and even then she doesn’t know as much as she thought either. Pinkie shakes those mopey thoughts away as she focuses on the good things she’s learned.

Like, she’s always known that Fluttershy is kind, but as it turns out, she’s super smart too! Pinkie would even dare say she’s just as bright as Twilight. Sure, she doesn’t know much about magic, but she knows a lot about farming, as she mostly grows her food for herself and her animals. Only Zecora matches her knowledge of the Everfree, and that’s impressive, seeing as no pony dares go in there.

Not to mention she’s pretty hoofy with a needle and thread, fixing all fabric damage her animals make. Pinkie never realized how self-reliant Fluttershy was. But she’s not perfect, where she is strong in those areas, she’s weak in others. What Pinkie believed was her being overly shy, was actual fear of being around crowds. It took some time to understand all this but Pinkie cherishes the time they’ve spent together, as she feels closer to Fluttershy in a way she’s never been with other ponies.

Pinkie absentmindedly hits the bottom of her empty bowl, the ring of porcelain and metal grabbing her attention. She takes her bowl to the sink and makes sure to leave some food out for Gummy just as he enters the kitchen.

“Breakfast is ready!” Pinkie leans low to face her pet. “Gotta go, be a good boy and don’t make a mess.” She kisses him on the top of his head as he lazily blinks. “See you later!”

Pinkie bolts out of her home and trots to Fluttershy’s. She still has those butterflies in her tummy but this morning is just getting started!


“If you ask me, I think that went rather well,” Anon ‘compliments’.

Twilight shakes herself out of her stupor. “Well? Well?! You call that well! She hates me!”

“Yeah, so do I, but at least she heard you out. I wouldn’t have given you the same courtesy weeks ago.”

“You’re not helping,” Twilight huffs.

Bonbon has been watching Anon and Twilight from afar as they converse with one another on the street. Her confident attitude has begun to fade as she allowed her thoughts to carry her away. Just seeing them together makes her questions how much she’s missed since he left. She also wonders what will come of her confronting him. The best case is that they become friends again and she doesn’t even want to entertain the worst outcome.

Bonbon stomps her hoof to regain focus. She can't doubt herself here; they’ve been working hard at this! Before her though become consuming, she feels a hoof rest on her flank. She turns back to see Lyra give her a reassuring smile.

“I’m here.”

That’s right; she’s not alone. It’ll be an uphill battle, but thankfully Lyra and she are in it together.

“Alright, let’s do this.” Bonbon steels herself over as she makes her way towards Anon.

However, before she gets there, Anon says something first. “I was wondering when you two were going to say something.” Anon turns around to face Bonbon and Lyra. Twilight looking confused as she faces the same way he is. “You’ve been following us for a good ten minutes.”

“They have?” Twilight didn’t even notice anypony following with the crowd around them.

Bonbon can see it. He’s trying to act relaxed but there’s a definite tension in the air. He’s looking past her and laying his eyes directly on Lyra. The fact he’s acting this way towards Lyra and not Twilight is baffling to her.

“May we talk in private?” Bonbon urges.

His gaze shifts from Lyra to Bonbon. “Sure.” He looks down to Twilight who’s clearly out of the loop. “We’ll talk later, Twilight. I’ve got other business to attend to. Remember what we talked about.” Anon then puts two fingers into his mouth and gives a short whistle.

“You called?” Lyra and Bonbon jump as they notice a bat pony standing between the both of them.

“Take a few minutes to yourself. I need some privacy.”

Blossom flies up and slowly around Anon’s head. “~You owe me.~”

“I’ll be sure to bring you something,” Anon turns his attention back to Bonbon as Blossom flies off. “Where to?”

“I believe our store is private enough.” Bonbon answers.

“Perfect.”

Bonbon takes the lead as she walks back to the shop with Anon not far behind.

“But, what?!” Twilight just stands there trying to discern what transpired. She can only sigh in defeat as she walks back to the castle. She needs to figure out how to make bits to pay for that permit and she gets a strong feeling that anon isn’t going to help her with that. “Well,” Twilight feels her heart sink. “I’ll call it a day. I feel sick.”

There’s too much for her to consider right now as she walks off into the crowd, toward the castle. She’ll figure this out somehow.


Fluttershy’s ears turn toward the sound of somepony approaching before she turns to face them. She’s delighted to find Pinkie happily trotting toward her. “Good morning, Pinkie.” With minimal effort, Fluttershy pushes over the sack of birdseed onto the grass. The chickens flock as they peck about. “That ought to do.” She says giving a nod of satisfaction.

“Morning, Fluttershy. Need any help?”

“Well, I wouldn’t turn down the help, but there’s no real need for it,” Fluttershy responds as she starts picking up the bag of seed.

“It’s no problem!” Pinkie helps alongside her. “I’ve got my mornings free and I wanted to do something to calm my nerves before returning to work.”

Fluttershy perks up at that. “Is that today? I’m glad. I’ll be honest, I’ve missed your cupcakes. They’re the best.”

Pinkie blushes. “Thank you, but I’m still nervous... You know, seeing all those ponies again.”

Working together they manage to get the sack back to where it belongs. Fluttershy can see that her friend is in need of some support.

“It’s pretty scary, huh?”

“...Maybe.” Pinkie looks to her hooves.

“We’ve all grown, Pinkie. You just have to give them a chance.”

Pinkie doesn’t like the idea but she trusts Fluttershy. “Alright. I’ll try.”

That gets a smile from Fluttershy. “Good.” Turning back to view her feed, she says “I think the fish should go next.”

“I’ll take care of that!” Pinkie says brimming with confidence. “Just leave it to me!”

“Fine, I’ll feed Mr. Bear and you can feed the fish. Remember, two scoops, no more.”

“Understood!” Pinkie salutes before dashing off towards the pond.


Bonbon enters the store and motions for Anon to go ahead of her. “You know the way.”

He shrugs, taking the first step inside. As they enter, Bonbon notices how all the customers look their way before doing a double take as they see Anon. Many of them are regulars and a few give him an enthusiastic wave, one he returns reluctantly. After Lyra enters, Bonbon closes the door behind them and follows as Anon makes his way to the counter

Butterhooves is dealing with a customer, shakily hoofing over their change.

“There’s your change.” He reaches under the table. “Now your order.”

With a motion that makes Bonbon cringe, Butterhooves violently jerks up with a bag in his mouth. It’s so sudden that even he looks surprised as he lets go of her bag. He panics, getting onto his hind hooves in an attempt to catch the wayward bag. However, it doesn’t go far as it stops mid-arc. Mesmerized by the bag, Butterhooves follows the familiar arm, holding it all the way to the annoyed look Anon is giving him.

“I thought I told you to stick to cooking, Hooves.” Anon lets out a tired sigh as he hands them back to the customer. “Thank you, Mr. Roomy, for being so patient.”

The pony waves Anon off. “No worries. See you two later.”

Butterhooves is twiddling his hooves. “Sorry, the boss wanted me to watch the place when she left.”

Bonbon watches Anon walk past Butterhooves, open the back door to the kitchen and call to somepony inside. “Dipper, you busy?!”

“Hey! Long time no see! I’m good right now; you need something?”

“Watch the register for a few minutes please.”

“Can do, Boss!”

Anon turns back to Butterhooves and nods his head to the kitchen. “Station, now.”

Without hesitation, Butterhooves runs into the kitchen as a filly sized mare exits the kitchen.

“I was wondering why BH was called to the front. Take it he didn’t do well?” Little Dipper asks Anon.

“Something like that. Anyways, just watch the register, there’s some business I need to address since my absence.”

“Good to see you back,” Dipper admits. “I know you left this place to us, but it was still rather strange not having you here.”

“Well, don’t relax just yet.” Anon turns to Bonbon. “After you.”

Bonbon was lost there for a moment. Just enjoying the way Anon interacts with his employees like nothing’s changed. She nods and takes the lead as she enters the kitchen but before entering the backroom she turns to address Butterhoooves.

“Thank you again, Butterhooves. You did a fine job.”

He looks up from his pot and nervously chuckles. “Thank you, but if it’s all the same to you, I think I prefer my station.”

“Understandable. Keep up the good work.”

With one last nod to tell him he’s not in trouble, Bonbon leads Lyra and Anon into the back kitchen. With each step, she can feel her doubts coming into play, even as she waves for them to take their seats. Lyra waits for Anon to take his place, just so she can sit across from him, an action that doesn’t go unnoticed. Bonbon sits beside Lyra as Anon simple sits and waits. The silence slowly grows, no one wanting to say a word and apparently Anon isn’t planning on breaking the ice here.

“We’re sorry.” Lyra blurts out. “No, I’m sorry, for everything.” Bonbon can see a certain fire inside of Lyra she’s never seen before and it’s enough to allow her to speak her mind. “Anon, I’ve never lied to you and I won’t now. No one in the world can change how they feel in the short amount of time we’ve been away. I don’t think I could stop loving you.” Lyra makes sure to keep eye contact with Anon. “But, I’ve noticed what it’s like when you’re not around. I didn’t appreciate the many things I admire about you until you were gone.” Lyra giggles to herself. “The grunts of frustration when Butterhooves drops something. The twitch in your left eye when a customer is nasty. The way you listen to everyone who talks to you, even if you’re busy.”

Lyra’s joyful mood shifts to heartache. “The special orders for creatures that can’t eat a specific ingredient. How the entire staff steps into line whenever you walk by, not out of fear but respect. The lengths you’re willing to go for the sake of others.” She feels the urge to cry but she’s not going to. Not while she has something to say. “The way Bonbon laughs when you’re around. How she looks happier about everything around her. The smile she has when you ask her about the various bills or if you want her to try a new item you’ve made.”

Lyra brings a hoof up to her mouth, holding back a choked sob. “I love you because you make Bonbon so happy. I love her with all my heart and I never wanted it to turn out like this. I just wanted us all to be happy together... It took you leaving for me to realize that Bonbon needs you more than I ever did.” Lyra looks to her hooves. “I’m sorry, Anon. I’m sorry, Bonny.”

Bonbon is speechless as she looks at Lyra. Has it always been like this? She doesn’t need an answer as she hugs Lyra with all her might.

“I love you, Lyra,” Bonbon says trying to comfort her.

“I love you too, Bonny.”

Bonbon looks over to see Anon looking at them both with indifference, but that’s just the surface. She can see that he’s conflicted. There’s nothing she can say, so she merely gives him the room to do as he must. Anon sits there for a moment, lost in thought, before getting out of his chair and walking over to Lyra. He hesitantly rests a hand on her withers.

“I wasn’t expecting a miracle,” Anon states. “Thank you for being honest, Lyra. As long as you respect my boundaries, I believe we can let bygones be bygones.” With that said, Anon walks back to his seat and falls into it, the weight of this situation setting in. “As fate would have it, I need your help,” Anon addresses them both.

“What do you need?” Bonbon asks, still holding Lyra.

“I get you’re worried about Twilight. That’s understandable. But I have something important I need done.”

“You know you have my support,” Bonbon says with finality.

Anon smirks hearing her say that. “Do you know how to bake a cake?”


Pinkie wipes the sweat from her brow as she sets a few pans to the side. She almost forgot how exhausting baking could be, but she will admit it feels nice working with her hooves again. She was so in the zone that she didn’t even notice Mrs. Cake enter into the kitchen.

“Closing time, Pinkie!”

Pinkie looks over to Mrs. Cake, then to a wall clock. “Wow, that time already?” She walks over and turns off the stove. “Alrighty then! I’ll just clean up a bit before I go.”

“How are things working out for you at Anon’s place?” Mrs. Cake asks, entering the kitchen.

“Fine.” Pinkie sets a bowl into the sink. “Everything is taller than usual, but I consider that a positive. After some adjusting, it’s the perfect place. Not to mention it’s closer to Fluttershy, so I get to visit her often.”

“That’s nice. Um.” There’s a slight pause that Pinkie catches. “Have you, you know, spoken to your other friends?”

Pinkie packs a few extra cupcakes she made into a small box. “I plan on seeing them now.” Try as she might, Pinkie can’t shake the butterflies in her tummy. “I don't know what I’ll say. It’s been so long.”

“I’m sure being there will say enough,” Mrs.Cake tries to console. “Remember: One hoof forward and see where it takes you.”

“I guess.” Pinkie glances around the kitchen to make sure she didn’t miss anything. “Time to go. See you tomorrow.”

“Have a good night, Pinkie.”

Pinkie picks up her boxes and walks towards the back door. “You too, Mrs.Cake.”

Once outside, Pinkie finds it’s already moving towards the evening faster than she thought. She’ll check on Rarity first, as she’s the one that puts her the most on edge. Walking down the streets of Ponyville she can see all the ponies getting ready for the coming night. Shops are closing and what not, fillies and colts being ushered back to their homes, a few waving to her as she waves back.

Pinkie loses herself on the walk to Rarity’s. Thoughts of where Rainbow Dash could be and if she’s okay. As far as she knows, no pony knows what she’s up to, and that makes Pinkie worry all the more. There’s also Rarity. She didn’t hear much talk around town about her or from the customers. AJ seems fine; Pinkie saw her in her usual spot during the market hours selling apples as she always did. She didn’t stop by but that’s probably to give Pinkie her space.

She’ll stop by her place soon enough but right now she needs to focus on Rarity. It takes a few minutes to get to Rarity’s and from the outside, she can say things look perfectly reasonable. The grass is a little long but for the most part, everything seems taken care of. Pinkie hesitates for a moment before walking up to her door and knocking. There’s a slight pause before the door opens.

“Oh, hello Pinkie,” Sweetie Belle greets with a smile.

“Hi, Sweetie Belle. Um, is Rarity in by any chance?”

The smiles she had slowly faded. “S-She’s in her room... She doesn’t come out often, but I could tell her you’re here.”

“Please, and,” Pinkie pulls out the box of cupcakes and hoofs it over to Sweetie Belle. “For you. I know it’s been awhile.”

That quickly puts the smile back on her face. “Thank you. I’ll go tell her know.”

Taking the box, Sweetie Belle runs up the stairs and out of sight. Pinkie takes this time to step inside and examine the room. Despite the dire sense of the situation, the house is immaculate. Whether that is the effort of Sweetie Belle or Rarity is unknown, but at least the place isn’t in a state of decay.

“Hello, Pinkie.”

Startled, Pinkie whips around and comes face to face with something she wasn’t expecting. It’s Rarity, just Rarity. She looks perfectly fine. Her coat is as pristine as ever; her mane is styled as it usually is, no dark bags or crows feet under her eyes... It’s as if nothing changed. But something is wrong with her. The smile she’s giving is fake and the way she holds herself is reminiscent of the very ponnequins she places clothes on, rigid and unmoving.

In a motion Pinkie has seen many times before, Rarity uses a hoof to toss her curl behind her back but what’s disturbing is how mechanical and unnatural it looked.

“Hey, Rarity... Been busy these past few months, huh?” Pinkie can’t shake this sense of unease with the mockery of a pony standing in front of her. “Thought I’d come by and check up on you.”

“No need to check up on me, darling. I’m perfectly fine. Speaking of busy, I have a few orders I need to attend to, sorry to cut this visit so short. I’m sure you understand.”

All Pinkie can muster is a slow nod at the creepy situation she finds herself in. “Sorry, I should’ve called first or come by earlier.”

“Perhaps another time we could chat?”

Rarity hasn’t moved and her expression hasn’t changed the entire time she’s been talking. This is disturbing.

“Another time.” Pinkie is losing track of what she wants to say.

“You know the way out. Good evening.” Rarity turns around and walks up the stairs, leaving Pinkie alone in the living room.

“She’s always like that.” Pinkie jumps at the voice coming from below her and finds Sweetie Belle there. “I don’t know what’s wrong but she’s been working on those orders for months now...”

“Well, you know Rarity... It’s gotta be perfect.” Pinkie gives her best smile just for Sweetie Belle. “Once she’s done, she’ll finally get to relax.”

Sweetie smiles too. “Yeah, you’re right! She’ll be better once she’s done working.”

Pinkie feels her smile crack at the seams. She can’t leave Sweetie alone here; it’s as if something terrible would happen if she didn’t at least offer an open door for her. “I gotta go now, but if you need anything, then don’t hesitate to come to Aunt Pinkie, alright?” Pinkie leans down to face Sweetie Belle proper. “I live at Anon’s house now. Do you know where that is?”

Sweetie’s ears pinned back. “R-Rarity always told me to stay away from there.”

“It’s fine, I live there now,” Pinkie says. “In fact, how would you girls like to try baking as a way of getting your cutie marks tomorrow?”

“Really?!” Sweetie Belle looks excited by the idea. “Sure! I’ll tell Applebloom and Scootaloo at school tomorrow!”

“Alright... I better get going now. Goodnight, Sweetie.”

“Goodnight, Pinkie!”

Pinkie walks out of Rarity’s home, giving a small wave to Sweetie Belle as she returns it briefly before closing the door. Pinkie stands there for a moment just facing the door, the last of the warm light giving way to the soft bluish hue of the night.

“This is a lot worse than I imagined,” Pinkie says to herself before setting off back to her home. She’ll talk to AJ tomorrow and see if she knows about Rarity’s current mental state, as well as Rainbow’s whereabouts.


Pain, that’s all Nightmare feels. No matter how much time passes, the wounds never heal. Gritting her teeth, Nightmare leers off into the void. That damn mare severed her connection to this world and in turn, left Nightmare isolated. This means there’s no magic for her to heal herself. So the wounds she suffered that day remain unchanged as she lays on the floor in perpetual agony. If it weren’t for her splitting headache, she’d rest until the connection was made.

Though something else is calling to her. It was a whisper at first, but now it’s slowly becoming a shout. With a groan, she rests her head and tries to ignore the call. Still, it’s difficult to overlook a disturbance that’s trying to shape her world from the outside. What could be producing that much negative emotion? It matters little to her; it’s not like she can leave this place to investigate. Coughing a few times, she tries her best to rest. That’s when she feels it. Her eyes snap open as something materializes into her world.

She can sense a great deal of negative energy coming from something further into her dream world. This has never happened before, so she forces herself onto her hooves and limps her way toward the source. Off in the distance, she spots a door leading to a dream. It only takes a few hooves for her to recognize the door from afar; it’s Anon’s. The difference is the mass amount of dark fog that billows from it.

Something about this causes Nightmare’s thoughts to drift to an old memory. This type of nightmare, she’s experienced it once before. Curious, she continues to approach, but with each step, she takes notice of a particular weight lifting from her. The various bandages around her body start melting away as her wounds rapidly heal. The nightmare is so potent she can feel her body surge with power.

Her mane starts flowing with a lustrous sheen, the stars twinkling with newfound life. Her already black fur is absorbing whatever little light there is as her fangs grow slightly longer and sharper. She hasn’t felt this powerful in ages! The elements took everything from her but now she feels fit enough to take over the dreamscape if she wishes. However, her mind is focused on the door before her. What could that creature be dreaming to cause this much negative emotion? As she lifts her hoof, she stops a few inches short...

Does she want to touch it? The last time she felt his nightmare, it wasn’t what she was expecting it to be. This, this must indeed be something else. However brief that thought was, she connects her hoof to his door. Nightmare tears her hoof away as she grits her teeth. Her entire body is trembling in pain and she wants nothing more than to scream out in agony but she made sure to prepare herself this time around and was able to shield her psyche from the brunt of the trauma.

Still, that was enough to fill her with rage. Without a single word, she tears his door open and leaps inside. She lands into a place of darkness, not unlike her void. She whips around, looking for where he could be. In her anger, she smashes a single hoof to the floor, causing the darkness to peel away as it drifts up slightly, before being absorbed by her fur. Eating this nightmare makes her sick, but that matters little to her. She needs to find that creature and teach him a lesson.

Still, there’s too much darkness for her to see him outright. So, she closes her eyes for a moment of irritation and thinks of him. It’s faint, but as she opens her eyes a thin thread of light connects her to him. A simple spell that should help her considerably. It doesn’t take her long to follow the trail to the huddled form of Anon. A cloud of darkness billows from him as he lays there.

That spark of anger returns to her for being forced to come here. That wench is so pathetic that she can’t even be bothered to attend to her stallion’s nightmares.

“Hey! Do you think I want this annoyance right next door?” He doesn’t respond, so she takes a few steps toward him. “Are you ignoring m―”

It’s too fast for Nightmare to register until it’s already happened. Anon is clutching to her right now, his face buried in her fur. It takes a moment for Nightmare to get her mind straight as she sits on her hind end and tries to pry Anon off.

“What in Equestria are you doing!? Let go,” she warns as he keeps a death grip on her. He doesn’t respond. “I said let go!”

She casts a spell to pry him off, but finds little resistance to pull him away. What is going on? As she correctly faces Anon, she is disturbed by what she sees. Where his face should be is nothing but an empty hole. This isn’t what she expected to find. He falls back to the floor in a gesture of what she can only guess is pain.

Despite her emotions from before, she finds herself worried. He’s starting to lose his identity, that much she knows. As she watches him rock back and forth in place, she feels that weight on her chest. Not a single sound is leaving him, and yet blackness seeps from him endlessly. A thought enters her mind. She could use him, right here and now. The amount of power he’s exuding could allow her to take over Luna, Equestria even... But she can’t.

“AH!” Nightmare screams as she slams her hooves into the darkness below in a fit of rage. “Why?! Why can't I do it!? I can leave! Be free from the void!” She turns her anger to Anon. “Answer me!”

He doesn’t respond or even acknowledge her, not that she expected as much. Another primal scream leaves Nightmare as she grits her teeth and thinks over this once in a lifetime opportunity. She cannot allow a faint sense of duty pass up what she’s been given. However, she feels something on her hoof. Looking down, she finds the faceless being wrapping a bandage around her hoof. The darkness still billows from him; she can practically hear his screams and yet he’s tending to her.

Nightmare is starting to hyperventilate as she clenches her jaw so much that she feels a tooth chip. Even in his sorry state, he’s caring for others. She feels sick to her stomach. As he works on her, she can feel how he gently applies the bandage, making sure not to nudge any injury he may think she has, but also keeping it snug. She hates creatures like him; he reminds her of Luna when she was a filly. During that night when she took her first life.

That memory brings back so many things. A time that has long since turned to bile. As angry as she felt, all of that lifts away as she crouches low to face the creature before her. As if reliving a memory, she rests a hoof on his hand to stop him from bandaging her. The pitiful thing before her just faces her with that gaping hole.

“There there, little one.” Why am I doing this? “This is nothing more than a terrible dream.” I can finally be free. “All will be better when the moon lights the way.” My one chance, gone. “Let not the pain of this day haunt your world.” All for what? “For I am here.” A memory? “And I will protect you.”

With that last word leaving her lips, she rests her horn against his forehead and casts her spell. All the darkness from the dream rapidly flows into the empty hole of the faceless being. Heavily dazed, Anon sways in place, utterly oblivious to his surroundings. Nightmare quickly fades into smoke before he can notice.

“W-Where am I?” he asks himself. “Talked to Bonbon, stayed at the shop to bake a cake, decided to stay the night...” He rubs his eyes. “Am I asleep?” He shakily stands and examines the area. “Guess I am.” Nightmare watches as Anon covers his mouth, but it does little to help as he vomits onto the floor. He pants for a moment, trying to regain his composure. “You should go before Luna gets here. I can sense her coming.” Did he also notice Nightmare’s presence? Unlikely, but perhaps his intuition is stronger than she anticipated. “Thanks again for helping me. I’ll be chatting with you soon, but for now, I have something I need to take care of.”

Nightmare scoffs. “So you say.”

With that, she shifts her smoke form to the door she came through and quickly enters it back to her void. Turning to look back, the door slowly melts away into a fine mist, but despite it being gone, Nightmare can still feel a connection to Anon’s world. She snorts in anger as she lay on the floor. She’ll never live down what she just did, a moment of weakness for a memory that has long since turned to waste...

Pointless. She rests her head on the floor. It’s all pointless.