• Published 1st Apr 2018
  • 27,598 Views, 769 Comments

How many lovers have you made today? - Sarcastic Brony



With things improving, Celestia is now interested in trying to court Anon but things are never that simple when it comes to Anon.

  • ...
76
 769
 27,598

Want without reason

Twilight strolls down the hall with Spike by her side, a cheerful smile on her muzzle. Today is unprecedented; it's the day of the festival. She honestly can't even recall the last time she's been to one, and with all the developments that are happening in her life, she's confident that for today she'll be able to unwind. There's also whatever task the Princess has in store for her as well.

Will she ask her to watch over something or perhaps organize some last-minute changes? She doesn't know, but she's thrilled nonetheless.

"Hey, Twilight."

"Hmm?" Twilight looks down at Spike.

"Do you think the festival will be packed?"

"That I know without a doubt, Spike. This festival is rare and brings creatures of all types to the capital. So I want you to be on your best behavior and try not to get lost."

"Do you think a few dragons will show up?" Spike asked with a curious glint to his eye.

"I'm not too sure about that. It's possible."

Twilight would hope at the very least it's a smaller dragon, as anything too large will be near impossible to accommodate.

"What about your friends? Will they come too?"

Twilight notices a heavyweight slam down on her. The girls... She's been so preoccupied with her problems that everything else has slipped from her mind. She recalls the letter Applejack sent was quite a while ago. How is everyone doing over there? Have things gotten better since then? Have they heard from Rainbow Dash?

She hopes that Rainbow is taking time to herself and isn't planning anything drastic. Twilight shakes her head of those thoughts. Today she's going to relax! All of that stuff will come with time. She's sure the girls are doing much better.

"I don't know," Twilight answers sincerely. "But I'm sure they're alright."

"Yeah, I guess so. I just haven't seen many of them in a while." Spike twiddles his claws.

"Still worried about Rarity?" He nods, and she stops to face him. "How about this: After the festival, we'll write a letter to Applejack. How does that sound?"

Spike looks up at Twilight, relieved. "Alright, that sounds great."

"Now, let's not waste time; there's plenty to do today!" Twilight tries to get him excited. "But first, we need breakfast."


There is tension in the air. Ever since Anon sat at the dining room table, everything has been silent. The bath was mostly routine for him, as he left as soon as the sisters showed up and decided to wait for everyone to gather here for breakfast. Every passing moment by himself began to develop his annoyance.

However, even with the three princesses entering shortly after didn't alleviate that sensation. No, he knew they were playing a part, acting as if a stray thought or two weren't about him. Luna being the most blatant, as she would thwart her gaze if their eyes met and even chose to sit a chair length away from him.

While that does bug him, what is genuinely grating at his psyche is how Celestia's passion has been significantly dialed down when compared to yesterday. He doesn't like this. Where in the past he would've most likely brushed it off, now he finds himself irritated. Celestia has spoken to Luna about this morning, that much he knows, but as for the reasons why he was opposed to her being there, that is only something he can express.

With each passing moment in silence, his irritation starts to turn to anger. He doesn't want to be reserved with Celestia for the sake of others. His resentment and thoughts melt away for a moment as he's taken aback. Such a novel idea but one that he genuinely believes. Before he can even question it, another springs up. He wants to be selfish.

Anon is so lost in thought he doesn't notice Twilight entering the room with Spike by her side. She's smiling brightly but promptly stopped once she saw Anon's annoyed expression. Though as soon as she felt worry course through her veins, she could tell he was lost in his thoughts and not looking at anything in particular.

So, she walks over, greets everyone, and takes her seat. Once she's settled down, she can sense the weight of the situation before her. Something is going on right now, so she will try her best to keep to herself as she watches from afar.

"I'm hungry," Spike says.

Twilight immediately summons a bowl of gems for him, to which he promptly starts shoveling into his mouth. Anon takes a moment to acknowledge Twilight as he looks at her for a moment before returning to his thoughts. He has to speak his mind, he doesn't want to lose what he has with Celestia, and as there's a festival coming up, the time to talk is now.

"I'm annoyed," Anon declares plainly.

Celestia didn't want to say anything, but the aura Anon is putting out is ominous. She thought giving him some space would make him feel better, but since they gathered at the table, it was progressively getting worse.

"I'm all ears," Celestia calls to him gingerly. "Whether that's here or somewhere private."

"I want everyone to hear what I have to say." Anon casts his gaze to all at the table. "I'd appreciate silence until I'm finished."

His tone alone is enough to grasp everyone's attention, except for Spike, who was too busy eating to notice.

"I'm going to speak precisely what is on my mind. I have no idea if it'll make sense, but I want you all to be as understanding as possible." Anon takes a breath in to try and calm his nerves and gather his thoughts. "I'm new to this, to being open and not completely repressing how I feel. I don't believe any of you truly get how painful it is for me to say I love Celestia. How displaying affection is a monumental task." Anon can feel his leg start to fidget.

"What others would consider simple, I cannot even fathom the scope. To want something, even if it hurts others I care about." Anon pauses in a vain attempt to gather his now rapidly fraying thoughts. "I can already tell Celestia is holding herself back, when she normally would be doing something or other to express her joy of this relationship. I hate this.”

That anger is swiftly coming to a boil inside of him. What is he trying to say? He doesn't know, but right now, the words coming out feel right.

"I hate that she's not hugging me so close I can hear how fast her heart races. I hate how she hasn't kissed me without a second thought of who's around. I hate how she's holding herself back from doing all the things that I want to do but can't do as easily."

Celestia is speechless. She knows he loves her; she knows how challenging this relationship is but to hear him say it... It's almost too much for her to take. She wants to bring him to her barrel, but as she looks down to his white-knuckled fist, she knows that he's far from finished but trying desperately to keep talking.

"I have no idea if she's doing this to give me space or for someone else at the table." Anon shifts his gaze to Luna, which she quickly reverts when she notices the anger and pain behind them. "I'm so angry, not at anyone here but myself. Time and time again, I reflect on the past. All of the wrong things I've done. How I was too much of a coward to say anything, all for the sake of others, to pretend as if everything is fine."

Anon loosens his stance to try and calm down. "I'm not going to make the same mistakes. I don't want to lose what I have. I don't want to fear the idea that Celestia is putting her feelings aside for others like I once did. Even if I'm more likely to go along for the ride than act on my own." Anon looks over to Luna, his features softer. "I'm not mad; I don't hate you. We're still friends. I'm fine with us bathing together and sitting side by side at the dining table. However, I want to be alone with Celestia in bed. At least until I'm more comfortable with this stuff."

Anon looks over to Celestia as her eyes glisten heavily. "Did I make sense?"

Celestia can no longer contain herself as she lunges forward and brings Anon into a kiss. It's shocking for him, but as soon as their lips met, all of that anger faded away. His pain of the past and worries of the future became nothing more than a thought on the wind.

"Thank you for sharing that with us," Cadance speaks out once they stop kissing. "Sensing the love inside you is one thing, but hearing it is far more compelling. You truly do love my aunt, and, understandably, you wish for privacy. Isn't that right?" Cadance turns to Luna and Twilight.

"Yes, I'm sorry if I've made you feel uncomfortable," Luna says. "Everyone needs space, and I know you are a good... friend. I will be more thoughtful while moving forward."

Twilight nervously smiles. "Well, um... If you need someone to talk to, I, uh..." Her voice dies out as Anon looks her way with a raised brow. "N-Never mind."

"I..." Anon gets hit with fatigue. Being that emotional takes its toll on him. "I'll pass on breakfast." He gets out of his seat and turns to Celestia. "I'm going to rest for a moment. Wake me up when the festival is starting."

"Very well; I love you."

There's that pain again. Something so simple to say, and yet it's a crushing weight on his shoulders.

"I love you too." With that said, Anon leaves to rest.

Celestia's smile fades some as Anon leaves. She always thought she knew Anon to a certain level but everything he just said... It's given her a glimpse into how much he's fighting to make this relationship work. She will now move forward with that in her heart. It will take time, but perhaps one day he will be able to express himself without anything holding him back.

That smile now returns in full force. That is a day she will cherish when it comes. With a kick in her morning, Celestia turns to the others at the table.

"We have much to do before the festival. Let's eat and discuss what's on the agenda."

Everyone at the table gives a nod as a waiter comes to take their order.


Anon hits Celestia's bed faster than he expected. That was too much, and now he can hear thoughts of regret for being so open in front of so many ponies. Why did he say all that stuff? It would've been better to talk to Celestia alone at the very least, but that feeling from before, it overpowered any logical thoughts he was having.

It doesn't matter now. He's exhausted, and with the festival only a few hours away, that's all the time he has to rest. Closing his eyes, he hopes that's the most memorable thing to happen to him today.


A stream of warm water washes over Pinkie as she stands in her tub. Today's the festival, and there's no way she's going to miss out on the fun! Though, she is a little antsy, as it's been some time since she's seen Anon and Twilight. She hopes those two are doing well. A sad sigh leaves her as she turns off the water and hops out.

Things haven't been easy here in Ponyville. Sure, all the ponies are happy to see Pinkie out and about again, but she's been trying to help with Rarity. AJ gave some insight into how long Rarity has been like that, she even tried to help her too, but it fell on deaf ears. Pinkie has been met with the same reaction; Rarity doesn't react or take notice of anything that has to do with what happened when they were punished or Anon.

It's like she's a doll now, but even Pinkie knows that's a facade. She didn't tell anyone, but she got a brief glimpse into Rarity's workroom, and everything in there was torn apart. Pinkie is at a loss for what she can do for her friend. She's tried so many things, and all of them were brushed off. Rarity is in her own world and refuses to leave her home for any reason.

Pinkie grabs a towel and starts drying off. The one hurt most by this is Sweetie Belle. She doesn't understand why her sister is acting the way she is. She's the one maintaining the house and even has the help of her friends when she needs to make food. Since learning this, Pinkie has extended a hoof to her, if only to ease some of her pain.

Seeing that smile of hers as she comes over to learn how to cook, but it's all in vain when Pinkie has to see that gloom wash over her when it's time to leave. What can anyone do to help? She's spent countless nights thinking of a solution, but there is only one that comes to mind. Anon would have to say something to snap Rarity out of it.

It hurts her that she has ulterior motives for going to this festival. She wants to simply enjoy being with him, see how things are going, and have a great time together. However, she can't hide what's happening. This problem here, it's not just about Rarity anymore, it's about her sister too. A knock rouses Pinkie from her thoughts.

She looks at herself in the mirror and shakes her head a few times until her mane puffs out.

"Come in! I'm just getting ready!"

The sound of her door opens, and a few sets of hooves enter.

"Ya close to done?! We only have a few minutes till the train is here!" AJ calls out.

"Yup!" Pinkie answers, walking out of the bathroom. "All done. How about you?"

Pinkie looks over to see AJ, the crusaders, and Fluttershy. Fluttershy and AJ smile at the crusaders' evident excitement.

"I've never been to a festival before!" Scootaloo says.

"None of us have!" Applebloom comes in. "Think there will be a lot of ponies there?"

"I wonder what kinds of sweets they'll have!" Sweetie Belle smiles.

"Alright, calm down, you three," AJ speaks with an authoritative tone. "We got a long trip ahead of us, and you can do your talking on the train."

"That's right, girls," Fluttershy speaks. "I know you're excited, but we need to go before the train leaves."

"You heard them!" Pinkie turns up the cheer. "Let's set sail! Or rails specifically."

Scootaloo groans at the joke, but it certainly keeps the mood high as the six leave Pinkie's home and head to the train station. Pinkie is glad she was able to talk most of her friends into coming. This should brighten their moods, but obviously, Rarity has chosen to stay behind. Just as Pinkie is about to feel her smile slip, a wing rests on her withers. Fluttershy is smiling at Pinkie just before removing her wing.

Pinkie nods a few times. Today is about fun! She'll worry about that other stuff later.


Nightmare hasn't found any rest since Anon left. Echoes of the past and thoughts of the future have turned her mind into a battlefield. His actions, his words, all of it bringing a haze to her resolve and crumbling the plans she's made with each passing second. How did it come to this? Thinking back, before he entered her mind, all she did was slumber in this endless void. No thoughts of her future, content with the fact that she would be forever locked away in this prison.

She never expected to see anything other than Luna enter her dream. She was surprised to see him, as all she ever knew of him was Luna's constant thoughts about him. It's strange how vividly she recalls their first meeting. That look of anger on his face when he realized Nightmare was real. It was refreshing. Where once all Nightmare did was rest, now she found her thoughts plotting a means to escape and get her revenge.

Her existence gained a purpose, a reason to live. Then that moment came when Anon saw what that whorse did to her, and rather than turn a blind eye; he treated Nightmare with kindness. The look he gave her back then is still burned into her mind, a glimpse of not pity but genuine worry. At the time, she didn't understand why, and when she thought he'd soon forget about her, he kept coming back to visit.

During that time, she only thought of him as an annoyance or puppet to be used for escaping. That all changed when she entered his nightmare. To experience his emotions first hoof, it brought clarity to why he does what he does. It was a simple answer; he is kind to those that have done him no wrong. Nightmare has only known the despair of others, and yet Anon doesn't show that when he looks at her.

She thought she buried these feelings a long time ago, but thinking of him brings a twinge to her heart. As much as she wants to push him away, to hate him, it's becoming difficult. Those words he said to her, they were haunting in their own way, as they were all too familiar. They walk a similar path and, in turn, think alike in more ways than one.

Nightmare looks to the abyss with comfort because that's all she's ever known, and he is no different. It's from this darkness that time passes with ease, and all feelings drift away. Nightmare now finds her mind starting to drift. What would she gain from revenge? Night eternal? A throne to sit upon? Or honestly nothing at all? Only the brief satisfaction that she won and then a lifetime of nothingness.

She scoffs as if that matters to her anyway. She lost the chance to escape when she helped Anon. She rolls onto her side as a long and tired sigh leaves her. Why is it that the more he comes around, the more these thoughts permeate her mind? She deemed nothing of the future, but now she cannot help herself. She lifts the same hoof she used to touch his door. There's no pain anymore, but she can still feel the bite of his emotions as they flooded into her.

Such a stupid man, worrying about others over himself. She knows he would sooner die than ask for help but wouldn't think twice to give his life for those he cares about. Her gaze drifts to where he bandaged her foreleg. She also felt the hate inside of him. Far more poisonous than her own and enough to show her that he cannot compare to the creatures that reside here. A walking contradiction and yet one she can fully understand.

She groans as her foreleg falls limply to the floor. This is nothing but a waste of her energy. So what if he wishes to get to know her? What does that mean in the grand scheme? That she wouldn't have to be alone anymore? That sharp pain hits her again... So, that weakness still exists? Nightmare rolls onto her back, looking up to the void she's always known.

She must clear her mind of this. Lifting her hoof, she drags it across the inky blackness, stars filling the sky and giving a dull glow to her once pitch-black world. With skill and grace, it doesn't take her long to recreate the night sky. Without notice, a small smile crosses her lips. It's been so long since she last saw the night sky with her own eyes.

Even looking to her recreation brings warmth to her side. Nightmare's brows furrow in confusion. A warmth to her side? She looks down and finds Anon holding onto her; his head rested against her barrel. With speed faster than expected, she bolts away from him. Her eyes locked onto him the entire time as redness creeps along her muzzle while her heart rapidly drums in her ears.

It takes a moment for her to calm herself, but once she does, she analyses the situation. Picking herself up, she walks over to get a closer look. Strange, this isn't a creation of her mind, as she initially thought. This is actually Anon in her world. The question is, how did he get here? She tries to extend her senses out into the void but finds that Luna has broken their connection.

This is disturbing in many ways because, by all rights, he shouldn't be here. This reminds her of when his door entered her world while he was under great stress. Curious, she continues to investigate. She kneels low and rests her horn against his head. It takes a moment, but she gets the sense that he's emotionally drained and has fallen asleep. Though that doesn't answer why he is in her world and not his own, she tries to reach out once again and finds that she does have a single connection; it's to his world.

She's never experienced anything like this before, and it leaves her to question what it means. As she continues to look at him, she has a stray thought enter her mind. What if she let him rest without interruption? A betraying idea that fills her with wrath. This is her world, and he has no right to be here! She lifts her hoof to stomp on him but stops again as she notices the worried look on his face.

Is he having another nightmare? She kneels beside him about to check but is surprised when he wraps his arms around her.

"Don't go," he says in a far off tone. "I'm sorry."

Nightmare leans back to see Anon is still unconscious. He's talking in his sleep, but his expression is locked in a perpetual state of fear. There's that pain again... Why can't she leave him be? Is it because he reminds her of the past, or is it something else? He's so weak, and despite his suffering, that whorse Luna can't even sense his cries in the void. He's all alone here, with no one but her.

Once again, she falls prey to an emotion that she thought she lost a long time ago.

"Why would I leave?" Nightmare whispers in Celestia's voice.

"I just think it's the right thing," he mumbles.

"I know that," Nightmare continues. "Get some rest."

"Y-yeah... Festival," Is all Anon says as he drifts off.

Nightmare is staring at Anon as he rests. Why does it hurt so much? Her mind is in two places. She could beat him until he wakes up, force him back to his world, something she would've done without second thought months before. However, she finds the second option better. To let him rest and try to find her own beside him.

He is still holding onto her as she lays down, and with ease she didn't have before, her eyes fall heavy as she rests.