• Published 13th Sep 2017
  • 2,243 Views, 95 Comments

Children of the Gods - LucidDreamer

  • ...
12
 95
 2,243

Morning Issues.

The sheets of the bed slowly rose and fell as the occupant quietly snoozed. The window shades were drawn in such a way that only a single ray of dawn fell over the bed, barely illuminating the wood walls, floor and ceiling.

The rooms door slowly opened almost soundlessly. A pair of slighted green eyes peeked in, swiftly followed by a black scaled form with green spines tip-toeing through the room, trying not to make any noise. The small dragon came right up to the side of the bed, popped his neck, and took a slow breath in and released it. “Sunset.” The small dragon whispered.

“Mmmnnnnn.” Came the response from the sheets.

Sunset.” The dragon almost cooed. “It’s morning. Time to get up.”

“Mmm mm” The sheets covering what the dragon assumed to be the head shook slightly.

“Sunset.” The dragon climbed onto the bed and poked at the form with a claw. “You gotta get up, because you gotta get Twilight up. She fell asleep in the lab again, and Twilight doesn’t like me down there unsupervised. Seriously, I try to build my own gun once and she loses her mind.” The dragon shook his head.

“Spiiiiiike. Five more minutes.” The sheet covered form whined.

“Please Sunset? I’ll make you breakfast?” Spike the dragon grinned.

“Uuuuuu... Spiiiike, you already make us breakfast.” The form rolled over under the sheets.

Spike sighed, shaking his head. “Sunset, you’ve forced my claw.” Spike shook his head as he raised his claws. A green glow lit in his eyes as the same glow surrounded his claws. A corona a green light engulfed the edge of the sheets and the shades. Spike flicked his wrists. The sheets were yanked away from Sunset’s head and the shades were torn open to show the brilliant dawn light.

A pair of golden yellow hands flew up to cover the entirely unprepared eyes. “AGH! Spike why!? Mom you bitch! Turn the sun down! Too bright!”

“Eh heh heh heh heh” Spike chuckled at the Sunset’s misfortune.

Sunset shimmer slowly took her hands away from her face. Her muzzle crinkled in discomfort and her ears pinned back, as she squinted Her mismatched eyes at the baby dragon. Her gold and red mane was disheveled partially covering her green left eye, however a streak of white mane draped down over an ice blue right eye. She sniffled (Still trying to wake up.) at the dragon whose attention seemed to be drawn to the mares black bra covered chest. “Spike... My eyes are up here.”

“And?” Spike asked somewhat blandly with a smirk on his face.

“I’m up you can go. I need to change anyway.” Sunset chuckled at the little dragon.

“Ya know, I could cover my eyes?” His smirk widened.

Sunset blinked at the dragon and a smile grew on her face. “Spike?”

“Yeah?”


A block of ice containing a laughing Spike flew out the door, arced over the library floor, and bounced off a bookshelf to slam into the floor.

“Where does that dragon get his manners from?” Sunset shook her head as she slammed her door shut.


Steam wafted out of her room as Sunset stretched, making quite a few audible pops. She was now garbed in jean shorts, a teal tanktop, and the leather jacket that he dad got her for her last birthday. The back of said jacket had her Cutie Mark emblazoned on it. It was a mark split down the middle. The left half, a stylised red sun, the right half, a ice blue snowflake.

Finishing her stretch, Sunset yawned, popped her neck, rolled her shoulders (to a few more assorted pops), and Slowly walked down the stairs to the Library proper. The scent of pancakes wafted in from the kitchen and she noted the melting shards of ice sitting in the middle of the library floor. Shrugging, she peeked into the kitchen. Spike was standing on a stool, a hissing pan sat in one claw containing cooking pancakes with a spatula hovering next to it in a green aura. His attention was on a book held in his other claw. She couldn’t see the title however.

Shrugging, she turned and headed towards the basement, or Twilight’s Lab as the sign on the front of the door plainly stated. Opening the door, Sunset was blasted with hot air, as well as various scents. Smells of oil, sweat, metal, and fuel assaulted her nostrils and she scrunched up her muzzle in distase. She shook her head and sighed as she trotted down the stairway. “Dammit Twi. Really?”

The lab was pitch black at the bottom of the stairs, and after a couple of fumbles, Sunset found the switches. Flicking them on she simultaneously heard the vent fans spin up and slammed her eyes shut at the blinding light of the overhead lights. Giving herself a few moments, she finally squinted and looked around the lab.

Said lab was a mess, and seemed bigger than the room should allow. In the middle of the room sat Twilight’s armor-slash-battlesuit. The black Cataphractii Terminator Armor trimmed in gold towered over everything else in the room and honestly intimidated Sunset, even when it was unoccupied. The tables to her right held guns and ammunition in various stages of assembly. The tables to her left were strewn with open spell books and papers containing notes and spell matrix equations. The complexity of which always stunned her a little. Against the far wall was tables filled with diagrams and blueprints.

Sunset’s gaze swept the lab as she slowly circled the lab, being careful not to step on the stray round or tool. “Okay.... Where are you?”

Her eyes spied a lab coat covered form slowly moving. Grinning she slowly walked up to it and pulled off the labcoat.

Twilight had curled up on a table and was sleeping soundly. The thin, bony unicorn mare had found a pillow and was hugging it close to her.

“Oh Damn!” Sunset hissed as her hand flew up to her heart. She took a slow breath in and poked the small unicorn. “Twilight.” She said in a sing song voice.

“Mmmmmmm” Twilight made a sleepy noise.

“Twi. Time to get up.” She prodded the unicorns face.

“Mmmmm no!” Was the response.

“You asked for this.” Sunset grinned as she rubbed her hands together. A heat haze wafted off her left hand as a chilly mist wafted off her right.

“Twilight!” She cried as she grabbed onto the unicorns flanks.

“GAAAH!” Twilight’s eyes snapped open and she sat bolt upright, taking the pillow with her and using it as a shield. Simultaneously, her horn like up like a purple star and with a loud clatter, Sunset was surrounded by dozens of guns held in violet auras. She was momentarily deafened as every gun cocked simultaneously.

Twilight blinked, looking around in half a panic before her gaze found the grinning Sunset entirely unconcerned about the amount of weaponry around her. “Sunset!? What the fuck!? Why would you do that?! I could have killed you!”

“You’re not the first assassin sent to kill me, and you won’t be the last.” Sunset said, trying to stifle giggles. “Morning Twi.”

Twilight let go of her pillow as every gun floated back to their original place. “Hmmph. Morning.” The little unicorn pouted.

Sunset picked her up, cradling her in her arms. “Awwww don’t be like that. Spike’s making pancakes.”

Twilight immediately brightened. “Ooooo! Pancakes.”

“Yep.” Sunset turned and began to head toward the stairs. “What do you want to do today Twi?”

“What we do everyday Sunset.” Twilight said with a cute grin.

“Try to take over the world.”