• Published 11th May 2018
  • 430 Views, 4 Comments

A Changeling's Christmas Catastrophe - AizakkuHorooee



When Carve is prompted to come to Wisconsin, Carina is experiencing something that is putting holiday celebration on the line.

  • ...
 4
 430

Chapter VII - Preparing the Talk

When the vet lets us go, Carina and I pass by the in-office bathroom, causing me to stop in my tracks. I put my left ear to the door and listen to see if Pane’s in there. Of course though, I hear sniffling. I respond to the sound by knocking on the door.

“Pane? Are you still in here?”

Huh? Who’s there?

“It’s me and Carve,” Carina answers.

Come in.

I open the door to the bathroom. Besides there being an empty paper roll under the sink on the right, there’s Pane herself, who tosses a long wipe into the trash next to the door.

Knowing my experience with ponies missing the obvious, like Twilight's first up close reaction to me, I think back to when Starlight and Chrysalis got back to the hive earlier than I expected. They went straight from Ponyville over to the hive, and I pointed out that they could’ve just gone to Canterlot right after Chrysalis’ visit to Ponyville, since Twilight wasn’t home at the time, having possibly already arrived in Canterlot. But their explanation for going to the hive instead of Canterlot... it was a bit of stretch, but it might be the same one I think Pane might have. But then again... she attempted to act as quickly as possible, and could only take so much into account.

Pane runs over and hugs me.

“Carve... I am SO sorry about what I did. It was like you said; I should’ve thought about everypony.”

“...and I should’ve done the same, Pane. When I went to talk to you, I took my past experiences by the wayside. I should’ve just pointed out what you could’ve done instead of yelling at you about what you did. I guess I needed a bit of time to think before I talked to you. I’m sorry I snapped as colorfully as I did... But now is not the time to get too deep into mending fences. Jon and Aita are waiting for us all.”

;=;

When the three of us get outside, the door I came out of from the car opens.

“Oh, I was wondering what was taking so long.”

“Yeah. But hey, the two I was looking for turned out to be here.”

“I can see that. Now Carve, uh, who do you want to go with?”

“Hmm... I think I’ll stay with Carina, since she’s home now, and for one of your holidays.”

“Well, she does live here. With Carina and Aita living with Sophie and Tim for as long as they have, I have had some room at my place for quite a while.”

Huh... That’s odd. That makes it sound like Carina and Aita slept on nests before they apparently moved in with Sophie.

“Oh. I thought Carina slept on a bed.”

“Carve, what are you talking about? I always have slept on a bed, even when Jon first found me.”

“Well, does she?” I ask, wishing for a clear up to break the confusion.

Jon nods.

“Of course.”

“So... Carve, is there anything before I return to Las Pegasus?”

“Yeah, I’ll be fine here for now, Pane.”

Carina suddenly startles everyone as she snorts. I turn around to see her gallop to the bush in front of the car and spit into it.

“Carina!”

Pane and I are further startled as Jon hops out of the car and races to the bush. After about a minute, Jon returns to me.

“I... don’t think I’ll be alone in saying this...”

“You don’t have to say it. Pane and I already handled that.”

“Good. Now... Pane Fall, right?”

Pane nods at Jon.

“Okay... now, do you need any help on getting back?”

“No, not really. I can probably remember where the riff is. And Carve?”

“Yeah, Pane?”

“Please throw a party for Carina, okay? I’m sure Aita can help you with it.”

“Well, that’s what Christmas is for, right?” Jon asks.

“I think I know what Pane means. And yes, Pane. I’ll throw a party nobody will ever forget.”

“Okay... that sounds perfect. I’ll see you when you get back, Carve.”

;=;

After Pane leaves for Las Pegasus, Carina and I get in the car, Jon walking over to his seat. Before he starts the car, we have a slight chat that stops with Aita in mind, since he’s been in the car for a while.

But then the four of us get home. With Aita still with us, I make a decision that should keep him from easily eavesdropping on a subject matter only changelings around me and Carina's ages should hear. I send Aita and Jon upstairs before I start this decision.

“Hey Carina?”

“Yeah Carve?”

“Do you have a place over here in mind that you can quickly get to?”

“Well, there’s Headrest Centre.”

“Is that something akin to Rolling Acres?”

“In a sense, yeah. The only real difference is that Headrest Centre is actually pretty safe.”

“Good. Take Aita there. He really shouldn’t hear what I’m going to talk to Jon about.”

“So, what do I do over there, Carve?”

“Well, all I can tell you is NOT to tell him about your current state. That’s practically what I have for Jon to hear.”

“Alright. That will do.”

“Also, do you think you’ll need a bucket?”

“Not... really...”

“Good. Try to keep your state as much of a secret to Aita as possible. However, Jon and I are going to be here for a while.”

“Okay... but why are you doing this?”

“I’m telling Jon so that he can guide you. He saw your experience with having Aita, right?”

Carina nods.

“Then he knows more than me about what it’s like. As your friend, I can only do so much for you as of right now, but what I can do is pass what I know to who I do know as your other friends, Carina.”

She sighs and hugs me.

“Thanks, Carve. I’ll see you later.”

Carina and I walk upstairs, seeing Aita and Jon on the bed at the end, prompting Aita to jump off and start to come with Carina, who walks back downstairs, off to this “Headrest Centre”.