• Published 11th May 2018
  • 431 Views, 4 Comments

A Changeling's Christmas Catastrophe - AizakkuHorooee



When Carve is prompted to come to Wisconsin, Carina is experiencing something that is putting holiday celebration on the line.

  • ...
 4
 431

Chapter XXI - A Goodbye

It turns out that Aita learned how to send letters to me and Chrysalis quite quickly, so quickly in fact he learned before the sun came up. I think it may have to do with seeing Spike send it the way he does in the documentations of Equestria that Carina had noted of numerously.

Well, in any case, a while after I start practicing with Aita, Sophie comes back. She has a bag that is labeled as Wal-Mart, a name that sends familiar shivers down my spine... one of those hybrids on the road in front of Rolling Acres was labeled that.

“Hey, Aita,” Sophie greets.

Aita goes to look into the bag and gasps.

“The DS!”

“Yes. I wanted to give you a bit of momento for the future.”

“So, I can have it?”

“Well, it’s yours. I bought it for you.”

“But where am I going to charge it? There didn’t seem to be any electricity in Equestria.”

“Well, you might be right about that. But maybe Twilight can help with that. Maybe even Celestia and- huh? Aita, are you okay?”

The very moment I say “Celestia”, Aita hides under the chair with the egg.

“Must’ve had a bad experience with her when he ran away to Equestria,” Sophie hypothesizes, leaving me puzzled.

“Wait, he ran away before?”

“Someone tried to get me to visit their second home weekly. It was on a Sunday.”

“Well, Sophie, I don’t really blame you then. Aita... if Luna and Cadence were anything to go off of, I doubt Celestia would be anything other than benevolent and friendly.”

Aita looks at me with surprise, like a piece of Carina had rubbed off on me somehow. I know I said it through my experiences, but might Celestia actually have been like that? She must’ve been. Equestria’s technically been at peace for well over a millennium, with threats only recently popping up, including, yes, the changelings.

“Well, Carve, from what I saw of My Little Pony, you’re kind of right. Celestia connects with a lot of her subjects, and I bet it can be the case with you and Aita.”

It will be the case for her and Aita.

The three of us face across the room to see Queen Chrysalis having entered.

“Really?” Aita asks her, hesitantly emerging from under the chairs.

“I have been in frequent contact with Princess Celestia since I befriended Equestria. She’s acted like a real companion ever since we came onto speaking terms.”

“Aita... do you know how Pane started trusting Chrysalis?” I ask.

“Because Rusty told her that the reason she didn’t happened so long ago? I remember walking with him in disguise.”

“Yes. When did you meet Celestia?”

“When I was almost three.”

“So that was more than four and a half years ago, more than enough time to properly get to meet and know each other. I mean, she may even be able to help with your DS, or whatever it’s called, whenever you need it, although Twilight might be more inclined to help.”

“Okay...”

Aita levitates the egg from his spot into the bag with his momentos.

“So, are you sure you don’t want to stay here?” Sophie asks.

“Yes. After remembering what happened when I ran away, I’m starting to see why Chrysalis snapped at Jon. He hid what I was called from me, which added to what stories I’d heard about over the years about a creature with the same name as ours, so I would’ve liked to know before the problem first came up.”

“We may not’ve known you were a changeling before then, but now I understand how you felt back then, Aita.”

Chrysalis walks over to us.

“Well, at least there’s somebody I can trust here. Sophie, would you mind Carve taking a photo of us?”

“Not at all. Here, Carve...”

Sophie gives me her phone, which I take. I swipe screen like saw Carina do when we were at the hive. I look at the phone to see anything close to a-

Camera! What was I thinking?!? I should’ve read the labels!

As Chrysalis and Sophie get into position, I hover to a good position with the phone and tap the picture that looks like a camera, which is labeled “Camera”. The screen takes me to what is presumably the phone’s field of view. I point it in a way that gets Chrysalis and Sophie both within the field of view.

I tap the screen in the area that shows the field of view and-

SNAP!

What... just... happened? What was that flash on the screen?

Well, maybe there’s something I’m not going about right. I decide to press the button on the current top of the phone and-

SNAP!

There it goes again!

Oh... so it’s actually taking the pictures, like a camera.

I give the phone to Sophie, who swipes the screen twice.

“Wow, Carve! These actually came out really good!”

“Happy to hear that, Sophie. Now, Carve, shall I show her?”

Actually, I’m curious. What does Chrysalis have under her horn right now? What about the photo is she thinking?

I nod.

Chrysalis lights up her horn in front of Sophie’s phone, to which the screen brightens briefly, then emits a smoke of the same general color as the picture. That smoke starts to condense until it materializes into what I can only imagine as a physical copy of the first photo.

“Whoa...” Aita, Sophie and I say in unison.

“Well, my changelings? Ready to head home?”

“A-almost. I just need a little bit.”

Chrysalis waves a hoof to Aita.

“Take your time.”

Aita gets up on his hind legs in front of Sophie, who carries him over her shoulder in response.

“Well, Aita... I guess this is goodbye. You’re better off living in Equestria. It’s a much more peaceful realm there.”

Aita sniffles slightly.

“...I’ll miss you, Sophie.”

“I’ll miss you too, Aita. Good luck in Ponyville, okay?”

“Okay.”

Aita hovers out of Sophie’s grasp and lands next to me and Chrysalis. Then Chrysalis levitates the bag and hangs it around her neck like a necklace.

And with that, the three of us leave the vet for the final time.