• Published 12th Aug 2017
  • 4,788 Views, 211 Comments

My Little Pokemon - Alabenson



After a magical accident Twilight and her friends, along with numerous other ponies, find themselves trapped in the world of Pokemon.

  • ...
10
 211
 4,788

PreviousChapters Next
Buyer Bewear

“Ahh, now this is more like it,” Rarity sighed happily as she stretched out on her beach chaise, Prinplup letting out a chirp of agreement as it lay on a towel next to her. The warm sun, combined with the sound of the ocean waves gently crashing onto the sand provided the exact sort of relaxing atmosphere Rarity had been craving. After the combination of wilderness hiking and villain attacks that had comprised her adventures thus far, being able to lie down and let her cares drift away seemed like paradise. As Rarity allowed the sun to soak in, it felt as though nothing could detract from her moment of peace.

“Just what in the name of Celestia do y’all think yer doin’?” Rarity looked up from her seat to see a thoroughly annoyed Applejack standing over her. “Y’all are supposed to be helpin’ me track down Pinkie and Fluttershy, not sunnin’ yerself like some lizard on a rock.”

“First of all, I really wish you could have found a different analogy. Secondly, I am keeping an eye out for Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, or at least Pinkie Pie at any rate. I mean, really darling, look around you,” Rarity said as she pulled herself upright and waved an arm towards the beach. “We have the sand, the ocean, and there are at least eight or so stands or shops selling some kind of dessert between here and the Pokémon Center. If Pinkie Pie isn’t here already, then she’s certainly going to wander by here eventually.”

“Huh. Well, Ah’ll admit, y’all do have a pretty good point there. Ah reckon yer probably right about this place bein’ the sort of spot that Pinkie’ll wander over to sooner or later,” Applejack said, prompting a relieved Rarity to start lying back down onto her chaise. “Which is why y’all can get up and help me check up and down the beach to see if she’s here. Now, come on. We ain’t gonna find our friends by just layin’ around.”

“I do realize that, but couldn’t we at least spend a little time relaxing first? We’ve spent almost our entire time on this island trekking through the wilderness, and that’s not even mentioning our encounters with Sombra and Chrysalis. I need some time to unwind, and quite frankly so do you.”

“Alright, how’s this; y’all help me go up and down the beach to see if there’s any sing of Pinkie or Fluttershy, and after that y’all can spend the rest of the day lyin’ around. Deal?”

“Deal!” Rarity quickly agreed, knowing Applejack well enough to realize that that was likely the best compromise she would likely be offered. “So, the question now is, which way should we start walking, up towards the docks or down towards the far end of the beach?”

“If Ah had to guess, Ah’d say our best bet would be headin’ away from the docks. That way seems a bit less crowded, and if Fluttershy’s here that’ll be where she’d head off to, especially if that way also has any wild critters roamin’ about.”

“That sounds like as good a reason as any to me. Shall we?” With that, Rarity and her Prinplup hopped up and quickly gathered their things together.

*********

Walking down the length of the Aquarius City beach, Applejack was forced to admit that Rarity had likely been right about it being exactly the sort of place that Pinkie Pie was going to be drawn to. The beach was absolutely packed with people and Pokémon, though as Applejack suspected the crowds had thinned slightly as they had moved further away from the boardwalk entrance.

“I hate to admit it, but I think I’m starting to see a bit of a flaw in my plan. Even if Pinkie and Fluttershy are here, how in Equestria would be pick them out in this crowd?”

“Ah don’t know about Fluttershy, but Ah reckon Pinkie Pie should be easy enough to find. Y’all could drop that filly in the middle of the most crowded part of Manehatten and she’d still be easier to pick out than a black cat in a blizzard.”

“I see your point. Pinkie Pie does have a tendency to set herself apart. Still, I do have to wonder just what one wo0uld have to do to stand out in a crowd this large.” As if on cue, a trio of voices immediately recognizable to Applejack and Rarity could be heard cheering as they walked by.

“Aw man, Apple Bloom, that was a great battle. You totally thrashed that gym leader!”

“Yep, Ah’m all caught up to you now, Scootaloo. So, where do y’all wanna head next? Is there someplace that you wanted to visit, Sweetie Belle?”

“Sort of. I’m actually a little curious to see the haunted house I heard about that has another one of the gyms in it, but if there’s someplace else you two want to go…”

“Apple Bloom?”

“Sweetie Belle?” Applejack and Rarity shared a brief glance before both bolted off in the direction of the trio of voices and it wasn’t long before they spotted their targets. Despite their transformation from ponies to humans, the pair had little difficulty recognizing their younger sisters.

“Apple Bloom! Apple Bloom, is that really you?” Applejack cried out.

“Applejack?” Apple Bloom managed to sputter out as she mentally shifted gears to deal with this unexpected family reunion. “What’re you doin’ here?”

“Ah could ask y’all the same question,” Applejack snapped, abruptly switching from relieved big sister to disciplinarian now that she had confirmed her younger sibling was safe. “Big Mac’s been lookin’ all over fer y’all.”

“Hold on, Big Mac’s here too?” Apple Bloom asked in surprise.

“He sure is, and he’s been worried sick about y’all this whole time. If y’all have been on the island this whole time, then why haven’t y’ tried to let either of yer older siblin’s know y’ were safe. Do y’all have any idea how dangerous this place can get?” While Applejack continued to admonish Apple Bloom for her perceived recklessness, a much calmer sibling reunion was taking place just a few feet away.

“So, how have been holding up?” Rarity asked.

“Pretty good. I’ve mostly just been following Apple Bloom and Scootaloo around while they take on all the gyms. We thought that you and Applejack would be busy with Twilight getting everypony back to Equestria, so we were just taking things easy until then. Where is Twilight, anyway? It looks like its just you and Applejack here.”

“That’s because it is, at least for the time being,” Rarity said. “We were all separated when we arrived here, and Applejack and I have been trying to track down the others. We had heard that Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy were going to be passing through this way, but we haven’t heard anything about Twilight. Or Rainbow Dash, for that matter,” Rarity added with a glance towards Scootaloo.

“Dang it,” Scootaloo grumbled before promptly perking back up. “Oh well, wherever Rainbow Dash is, I bet she’s being completely awesome and kicking all kinds of hindquarters in Pokémon battles!”

“More than likely. If any member of our little circle was predisposed to all this Pokémon battling business than it would be Rainbow Dash,” Rarity said.

“Yeah! I bet that by now Rainbow Dash has got, like, thirty badges or something!” Scootaloo said.

“Uh, Scootaloo? Ah’m pretty sure there’s only sixteen gyms on this whole island, so how the hay would Rainbow Dash have gotten thirty badges?” Apple Bloom asked as the commotion distracted Applejack from continuing her lecture.

“Ah’d imagine RD’s got at least a few badges by now, but Ah’d wager its probably closer to three or four. Ah’ve only got three mahself, and Ah doubt RD’s gotten all that far ahead of me.”

“You’ve been challenging gyms too, Applejack? Which ones have ya gotten to?”

“Let’s see, Ah’ve gotten the badges from the Rock, Ghost and Fightin’ gyms so far, and Rarity’s got the badges from the Normal and Psychic ones.”

“Hold on,” Sweetie Belle said as she looked up at her big sister in shock. “You’ve taken on some of the gyms?”

“Is it really all that surprising?” Rarity asked.

“Yes!” Sweetie Belle emphatically replied. “I mean, Applejack I get, but you? Fighting in a gym?”

“I will admit, it wasn’t perhaps what I had intended to get involved in, but once you get started it really can be quite exhilarating.”

“Anyhow, Ah can’t really say how serious either of us are gonna take it,” Applejack said. “So far, all this gym business has mostly just been somethin’ to do to pass the time while we look fer the rest of our friends. Once we find ‘em, Ah reckon we’ll probably be too busy tryin’ to figure out how to get back to Equestria to worry too much about badges and such.”

“And ya really don’t know where anyone else is besides Big Mac?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Ah wouldn’t say that. Big Mac’s travelin’ with Limestone Pie and Zephyr Breeze. And, accordin’ to Big Mac, Granny Smith’s back in Mercury City with Pinkie’s parents and Marble Pie.”

“Oh, and don’t forget Maud Pie in Keystone,” Rarity added.

“Yep, her too. Seems a whole mess of other ponies got brought here. Y’ never really know who yer gonna run into.” In yet another sign that the universe may have been taking suggestions from Discord on how to run things, it was at that very moment a pair of voices rang out over the general din of the crowds.

“Ladies and gentleman, may I have your attention please! We have for you today an opportunity of unparalleled fortune!”

“As you are no doubt away, training Pokémon first necessitates that you catch them, an arduous task requiring you to venture out into the wilds, far away from the comforts of home.”

“But not, through our special, I-can’t-believe-they’re-offering-it offer, you can have a brand new, ready-to-train Pokémon without even needing to leave this very beach!”

“No…” Applejack groaned with a dawning feeling of horror. “It can’t be…” But, much to Applejack’s utter dismay, it was. Standing on a makeshift stage just a short walk from where they were standing were none other than Flim and Flam. “What the hay are those two charlatans up to this time?”

“The same thing they’re usually up to, darling,” Rarity observed dryly. “Attempting to sell something to anyone they can trick into trusting them. The strange part is, the way they’re talking it sounds as though they’re actually trying to sell Pokémon.”

“Well, whatever those hucksters are up to, Ah’m not gonna let ‘em have an easy time cheatin’ nobody. Not while Ah’m around.” With that said, Applejack proceeded to march over to the brother’s stage, even as the pair continued their sales pitch.

“That’s right, ladies and gentleman, if you act now, you’ll be able to count yourselves among the luck trainers of one of the most potentially potent Pokémon there is, the king of carp itself, Magikarp!”

“And just to make this incredible offer even more incredible, if you are one of the first five customers to purchase a Magikarp, your foresight will be rewarded with a fifty percent discount!”

“Fifty percent? Brother, did I hear you correct? Did you really say fifty percent?”

“That you did, brother of mine. But these folks better act fast, because a deal this good-”

“Probably ain’t near as good a deal as yer tryin’ to get people to think!” Flim and Flam winced in unison as they turned to see Applejack standing at the foot of their stage staring daggers at them. “Ah looked up this ‘Magikarp’ critter y’all are tryin’ to hock, and, well lister fer yerselves.” As Applejack spoke, she held up her Pokédex, which already had Magikarp’s page up and loaded.

Magikarp, the fish Pokémon. Said to be the world’s weakest Pokémon, Magikarp is unable to swim against even slow-moving currents and is prone to being swept away. They often congregate in stagnant pools and can survive in even highly polluted water.

“Most potent Pokémon mah patootie, these things are supposed to be so durn weak they can’t even battle right, they just flop around. Now what do y’all have to say to that?

“Ah, Miss Applejack, so nice to see you again,’ Flim said, his smile almost unnervingly genuine. “Though I do have to say, its truly a shame that you’ve fallen into the tragically all too common trap of judging a Pokémon based on its strength.”

“Wha – that’s not what Ah—"

“Ah yes, we’ve seen it time and time again before. Trainers are only able to see what a Pokémon can do at that very moment. No consideration in the slightest for how a Pokémon could grow with proper care and attention,” Flam added as he pretended to wipe away a tear. What’s more, several members of the crowd could be heard muttering and nodding their heads in agreement.

“If you had been listening to our offer, we never made any claims of our Magikarp being powerful now. However, given time and proper care, these marvelous little creatures can become veritable paragons of unrivaled strength!”

“Hmph, yeah. And Ah’ll believe that when pigs fly,” Applejack snorted, failing to notice the victorious glance Flim and Flam exchanged as she spoke.

“Well, then, if there’s nothing we can say that will prove to you that we’re telling the truth, then why don’t we settle this in the local manner?” Flam suggested.

“And just what the hay is that supposed to mean?” Applejack snorted.

“Why, a Pokémon battle, naturally. My brother and I will pit two of our Pokémon, Magikarp from the very same batch we’re selling that we’ve trained ourselves, against whatever Pokémon you wish to use. Then, everyone here will be able to see the truth about what we’re offering.” Flim put a particular emphasis on the word truth as he made his offer, which Applejack immediately recognized as a direct challenge. Despite this, however, Applejack hesitated as she considered Flim’s proposition. The idea of battling the two con men was exactly the sort of thing Applejack had been planning on suggesting herself. But, the fact that Flim had suggested it left Applejack suspicious that there was something about the situation she was missing.

“How about makin’ it two-on-two?” Applejack looked down to see that Apple Bloom had walked up next to her while she had been considering whether or not to accept Flim’s challenge.

“Wha-? Now, hold on just one minute there. Ah can handle this on mah own, Ah don’t need y’all to get yerself mixed up in this too,” Applejack protested, but the decision already appeared to be out of her hands.

“I don’t have any problems with making this a double battle, do you, Flam?”

“None at all. If they want to make this a battle of the siblings than I’m all for it.”

“Dang it, these two are way to happy about all this,” Applejack grumbled as the four trainers made their way to a section of the beach where they could have their battle. “And why the hay did y’all have to butt in like that? Ah had all this under control on mah own.”

“Ah dunno, Applejack, Ah’m not really sure ya did,” Apple Bloom countered. “Like ya said, these two seemed real calm about takin’ you on in a battle. And besides, Ah’ve done plenty of battlin’ since Ah came here, Ah know what Ah’m doin’.” Applejack sighed at this as if she were expecting it.

“Well, it’s too late to do anythin’ about it now. Just, try not to get into too much trouble here, alright? Ah’m sure y’all have had plenty of experience with regular battlin’ and such, but Ah got a feelin’ these two ain’t plannin’ on playin’ fair.”

“Ah know what Ah’m doin’” Apple Bloom grumbled as she pulled out one of her Poké Balls. “Time to show everyone what we can do. Go Bewear!”

“Y’all have got to be kiddin’ me,” Applejack groaned as she saw the Pokémon Apple Bloom had sent out. The tall, pink and brown bear looked more like some overly cheerful toy than anything threatening, an impression not helped by the high-pitched squeal it let out as it stood up. “Welp, with any luck the poor critter won’t get too hurt before Ah can finish this. Go Grotle!” As Grotle took the field, Applejack looked up at Flim and Flam, who were assessing the sister’s Pokémon with a shared look of smug amusement. “What the hay are y’all waitin’ fer? Get yer fishes out here so we can get this over with.”

“Well, I’m ready if you are, brother of mine.”

“No time like the present. On three, then?”

“On three. One…Two…Go Gyarados!” Applejack hadn’t been entirely sure what to expect from Flim and Flam. Some kind of chicanery, no doubt, most likely either in the form of enhancements to their Pokémon or cheating during the battle itself. What Applejack had not expected, however, was to face a pair of twenty-foot-long enraged sea serpents.

“Buh-wuh-huh? Y’all said y’all were gonna use the Pokémon y’all were sellin’!” Applejack sputtered as she stared at the two Gyarados in horror.

“And we are! As you’re no doubt aware, properly trained Pokémon can evolve.”

“Change into new forms that are larger and more powerful than before.”

“These Gyarados just so happen to be the evolved forms of the Magikarp we’re offering to these fine folks here. We just gave them a little care and attention and voila!”

“So, you see, we haven’t told a single lie this entire time.”

“Must be a new record fer the both of y’all,” Applejack muttered under her breath as she quickly pressed a few buttons on her Pokédex to confirm that, indeed, Gyarados were the evolved form of Magikarp. “Well, y’ know what they say, the bigger they are the harder they fall. Alright, Grotle, get ready with yer Razor Leaf attack! Let’s prune these overgrown goldfish back down!” Grotle let out a snort of understanding as the bushes on its back began to glow bright green, before firing out a barrage of leaves that caught both Gyarados square in the face. The assault cased the fearsome Pokémon to momentarily flinch away from the attack, but the pair quickly recovered without showing much sign of injury from the attack.

“A fair effort, I’ll give you that.”

“But you’re going to need to do a lot better than that if you want to be us. Gyarados, Ice Fang!” As the Flim Flam brothers shouted out their command in unison, both Gyarados turned to Grotle, the insides of their mouths glowing bright blue. Grotle was barely quick enough to dodge out the way as the first Gyarados lunged forward, its fangs snapping down into the sand and leaving behind a sizable patch of ice. Unfortunately, Grotle’s efforts only served to put it right in line with the second Gyarados’ attack, the monstrous Pokémon snatching Grotle out of the air before biting down and practically encasing Grotle in ice.

“Grotle! Are y’all alright?” Applejack cried out as the Gyarados let Grotle tumble out of its mouth to the ground. Grotle let out a groan in response as it struggled to pull itself back up, only succeeding with a tremendous amount of effort.

“I’ll give credit where it’s due, your Grotle is clearly more durable than I’d have expected.”

“But I rather doubt it’ll be able to take another hit like that, and then—”

“Hey! Aren’t y’all forgettin’ about someone?” Apple Bloom yelled out indignantly. “Bewear, show these two what you can do! Use Thunder Punch!” The expressions on Flim and Flam’s faces rapidly shifted from smug victory to panic as Bewear drew back its arm and arcs of electricity began crackling over its fist. Flim’s Gyarados, which had the misfortune of being the closer of the two, had no chance of escape as Bewear slammed its fist into Gyardos’ tail. In a flash, the Gyarados snapped ramrod straight as lighting coursed through its body until it toppled over onto its side, unconscious.

“Eh heh heh, well that’s unfortunate…elemental weaknesses, folks. Am I right?” Flim babbled nervously as he recalled his Gyarados to its ball. “Flam, quick, do something before we lose the audience.”

“No need to panic, Flim, we just need to demonstrate whether that overgrown stuffed toy can take it as well as dish it out. Gyarados, a Bite attack on the bear, if you please.” Flam’s Gyarados promptly reared up before surging forward and chomping down directly onto Bewear’s arm. The attack failed to have the desired effect on Bewear, however, as it simply stared at Gyardos with a vacant expression that somehow still managed to convey murderous rage.

“So, Ah’m thinkin’ ya should give that thing a Thunder Punch too. What do ya say, partner?” Apple Bloom said. Her Bewear replied with another high-pitched cry as it pulled back its free arm and delivered another electrified punch directly into Gyarados’ face.

“Well, Ah might not’ve had all that much to do with it, but that sure looks like a win to me,” Applejack said as Flam recalled his still-twitching Gyarados to its ball.

“I can’t really argue with you there, your younger sister’s Bewear is certainly a force to be reckoned with,” Flim said, seeming far less put out by the loss than Applejack would have expected. “And, as you wanted, everyone here now knows exactly how much potential the Pokémon my brother and I are offering possess.”

“That’s right, folks, and if you want the chance to walk away as the future trainer of one of those magnificent Pokémon then line up right here!” Flam added as a crowd began rapidly forming around him, much to Applejack’s confusion.

“Ah, nothing like a good product demonstration to really drive demand,” Flim grinned. “And, thanks to you, we didn’t even need to hire a plant to pick a fight with us. Although, that actually might not be a bad idea for next time. It shouldn’t be too hard to find a good shill around here…”

“But…that weren’t…aw horseapples,” Applejack sputtered as she slowly realized that she had been thoroughly played. Although, as Applejack looked over at Apple Bloom, who was busy congratulating her Bewear on a job well done, there was perhaps one silver lining to the whole mess. “That Bewear of yers sure is somethin’ else.”

“Yep, but fer some reason a lot of people here keep underestimatin’ what it can do,” Apple Bloom said as her Bewar hoisted her up in its arms so she could reach to scratch behind its ears.

“Ah hate to admit it, but y’all could’ve counted me as one of ‘em. And…Ah think the Bewear weren’t the only thing Ah was underestimatin’. Y’all are a lot toughter than Ah realized, and Ah guess y’ can probably take care of yerself just fine without me or Big Macintosh hoverin’ over y’.”

“Wow, Applejack, do ya really mean—”

“But Ah still want y’all to call Big Mac and let him know yer alright so he can stop frettin’ about y’. And, from now on, yer gonna let us both know how yer doin’.”

“…Yeah, Ah guess that’s fair enough. So, anyway, are ya gonna want any help lookin’ fer Pinkie and Fluttershy?”

“Well, if yer offerin’, Ah sure would appreciate the help. And, while we’re at it, why don’t ya’ll tell me about what exactly y’ and yer friends have been doin’ since y’all got here.”

PreviousChapters Next