• Published 10th Aug 2017
  • 934 Views, 52 Comments

Fortunate Misfortune - OutOfTheBlue

  • ...
1
 52
 934

Life of the Party

Changelings are quite agile, especially when startled. For example, I once observed a changeling climb a wall and perch on a stalactite when I sneezed too close to him.

--excerpt from Among the Shapeless by Wanderlust.
--------------------------------------

With my "job" completed for the day I began my walk back to Carrot Top's house. I would much prefer one pony to be afraid of over an entire town. Before I could reach the house though, Daisy approached me.

"Hey, Broken Mirror. Could you come over here for a sec? I really need your help."

All of my keen changeling senses told me to run away as fast as possible... but that would not be what a pony would do. Reluctantly, I followed the pink mare towards Sugarcube Corner. She entered the door and vanished into the darkness waiting beyond the doorway. I froze, suspicion pointing out that this was the perfect place to ambush a changeling. I steeled my nerves and cautiously entered the building.

"H-hello? D-Daisy?"

I continued forward until the lights turned on suddenly, revealing a large group of ponies staring at me.

"SURPRISE!"

"EEEEEEEEEK!"

I don't know how I wound up on the ceiling but I opened my eyes to find myself straddling one of the lighting fixtures. Unfortunately said fixture was very hot which burned my stomach and caused me to fall to the ground with a loud "THUD!" The ponies all winced and whispered as I tried to regain my breath. A pink pony with a curly pink mane suddenly lifted me up and began to excitedly shake me.

"WEREYOUSURPRISED!IMEAN,ITRIEDREALLYREALLYHARDTOSURPRISEYOUANDYOUSURELOOKEDSURPRISEDWHENYOUWEREONTHECEILINGBUTYOUFELLANDTHENYOUWEREONTHEFLOORBUTWEREYOUSURPRISED?!"

I could not comprehend a word that came out of her mouth. She let me go and stood on a table laden with food.

"Anywho, welcome to your 'welcome to Ponyville we're totally going to be bestest friends forever, like, better than anypony else can be your bestest friend but not better than anypony else because I'm already everyponies bestest best friend but you're important too' welcoming party!"

I gulped and began to look for an escape route. Ponies were blocking all the exits already so I'd have to--

"Anyway, LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!"

Suddenly loud music began to play, and in my panic, I dove under a nearby table... directly into the lap of a yellow pegasus. She let out a quiet yelp and I hurriedly got off of her.

"I apologize! I didn't mean to--"

"N-no no, I'm sorry for getting in your way."

"But I'm the one who ran into you. So I'm supposed to be sorry."

"But I got in your way."

"But you were here first."

...

"Sorry."
"Sorry."

We both sat in awkward silence as the party raged on outside the cloth covering of the table. I coughed slightly before asking,

"S-so... why are you under here?"

The mare curled over a bit and her mane covered her eye.

"Oh... w-well I really don't like crowds, but Pinkie really, really wanted me to come. So I figured I'd come here for a bit before heading home."

"I am the exact same as you."

Whew, not only would that cause her to trust me, it also subtly engrained in her head that I was not secretly a changeling... also it was the truth.

The mare looked me over a bit before saying,

"Um... wonderful weather we're having... right?"

My eyes darted to the ground before I attempted to satisfactorily answer.

"Uh... yes?"

This was going horribly. She adjusted her wings before saying,

"Well... I think I'll go home and make some tea. Um... goodbye?"

"Yes! I also will go home and make the tea."

She perked up a bit.

"You like tea too?"

I nervously made that face happy ponies make and replied,

"Y-yes. It is my favorite."

"Ooh! What types do you like?"

"Uh... all the types?"

She looked up a bit and thought for a while.

"Hm... well I know I like herbal. It's so relaxing to drink some while I read to my animal friends."

"That sounds wonderful.... I also enjoy that."

She gasped before growing happy.

"You like animals too?"

"Y-yes! Very much."

"Oh you just have to come by and see my critter friends. I have so many and maybe you'd like to keep one as a pet!"

I nodded. Yes, anything to escape this "party." The pegasus squeeled in delight.

"I never thought I'd meet another tea and animal enthusiast who's just as... well... not be rude or anything... quite as I am! Maybe Pinkie is right. Parties are good for meeting ponies like me."

"Y-yes... now can we go see the tea and animals... away from this party?"

Before I could say "Sweet queen what's happening" she had taken my hoof and was eagerly dragging me through the town, talking about stuff like puppies and kittens and birdys and... whatever else she was talking about. But the important thing was... I was free! And nothing bad--

*Thump*

I groaned in pain as I was dragged into a pole.

"Oh my gut!"

*Clang!*

"Oh my butt!"

(Meanwhile, back at the party.)

Pinkie hopped all over the place, searching for the guest of honor. She spotted Carrot Top talking to the three flower mares and bounced over as they talked.

"Aren't you excited! It isn't everyday that there's a royal wedding!"

"Yeah! I can't wait any longer! Even though it's just days away, it feels like forever!"

Pinkie chose then to butt in.

"Hey, has anypony seen Broken Mirror?"

Four heads shook.

"Okey-Dokey-Loki! I'll keep looking elsewhere! Have fun!"

And away she bounced.

Author's Note:

To the three of you reading this, this story is already about half over. I plan on this just being a short story to continue to practice my writing. Hope you still are enjoying it though!