• Published 10th Aug 2017
  • 934 Views, 52 Comments

Fortunate Misfortune - OutOfTheBlue

  • ...
1
 52
 934

Breaking News

Despite not being the biological mother of every changeling in the hive, all changelings will refer to the queen as “Mother.” Changelings don’t have any other family association other than this which leads me to believe it holds a deeper significance in their culture than in pony culture. Once more, I find their bizarre lifestyle truly fascinating.

— Excerpt from Among the Shapeless by Wanderlust.

The next day went by much the same as the other, with me standing behind the counter while ponies gave me bits. Many of them seemed surprised about something, but I wasn’t sure what it was.

So far I’d only had one problem today and it was minor. I’d accidentally backed into a shelf and been buried by bags of dirt. But do not worry, the next customer helped dig me out... after an hour. On the bright side I got to take a nap.

*ring*

I turned from the plant I was helping (I was ensuring not to forget the flowers I had been told not to forget. Although why some flowers apparently demand you to “forget-me-not” is beyond me) to see Redheart entering the store.

“Mirror? You in here?”

I perked up and replied,

“Yes, I am in here! Hello!”

“Hi... uh... why are you working today?”

I gave her a blank stare.

“Uh... because I’m supposed to? Right?”

“Not really. I’m pretty sure everything is closed due to the wedding.”

“...Wedding?”

She laughed,

“For Celestia’s sake Mirror, do you live under a rock?!”

“...No, I live in a house. Why do you ask?”

Redheart shook her head and smiled.

“Of all the ponies I could be friends with why in Equestria did I choose such a weirdo. Anyway, today’s the day of the big royal wedding between Shining Armor and Princess Mi Amore Cadenza. The whole country is either there or listening to the radio broadcast.”

Wait... why did that sound familiar? I’m sure I’d heard of that before. I jumped when Redheart poked my nose.

“Hey, Mirror. You in there?”

I rubbed my nose and frowned.

“Where would I be other than in my body?”

“You looked like you were up in space somewhere. Anyway, me and a few friends are going to listen to the broadcast over tea and cookies. Wanna come with?”

“Uh... sure?”

She smiled.

“Come on then, it’s almost time for the wedding to start!”

As I followed her through the town full of excited ponies I couldn’t rid myself of the feeling that I’d heard about the wedding somewhere before this, but where?

Soon we were walking up a small path through a lawn towards one of the colorful houses in town. Upon opening the door I saw two mares I didn’t recognize sitting on a couch. One was a bluish colored earth pony with a green mane whose cutie mark was the same thingamajig as Redheart’s, except without the hearts. The other was a light yellow pegasus with a red mane and tale. Her cutie mark was some red fruit thing. Redheart smiled and said,

“Hey girls, this is my new friend Broken Mirror. Broken Mirror, these are my friends Tenderheart and Strawberry Sunrise. I hope you guys don’t mind that I invited him. He was going to work through the wedding, but I convinced him to play hooky.”

The earth pony giggled while the pegasus gave me a bright smile and said,

“Oh, it’s nice to finally meet you! Redheart has been talking about you and how you’re so out there.”

Redheart gasped and her face grew flushed,

“S-Strawberry! You really need a filter!”

She shrugged.

“Why?”

“Because sometimes you shouldn’t say everything you think!”

“Oh please.” She looked at me and asked, “You don’t mind, do you?”

“Uh... no?”

She smiled,

“See, no problem here.”

Redheart sighed and shook her head before gesturing for me to sit on the other end of the couch.

“It’d be a problem for anypony else, but Mirror is impossible to offend. I tell you, if all stallions were as easygoing as he is I wouldn’t be single.”

Strawberry Sunrise “oohed” and gave Redheart and I a mischievous look.

“So maybe the royal wedding won’t be the only wedding I’m interested in. Let me be your best mare, okay?”

Redheart froze and a look of deep confusion appeared on her face before she blushed and yelled,

“STRAWBERRY! ME AND MIRROR ARE JUST FRIENDS THAT’S ALL! Besides, I want a stallion with a little muscle on him! Not a stick... pony....”

She slowly looked over at me, completely mortified.

“Oh Celestia, I’m sorry Mirror. I didn’t mean to say something like that! I meant nothing by it! You’re... handsome in your own... nerdy kind of way.”

I shrugged.

“To be honest, I don’t actually understand what you meant.”

Redheart sheepishly smiled and turned to Strawberry,

“Uh, Strawberry? Where’s all the food?”

Strawberry tapped her hoof on her chin before smiling.

“Oh yeah! It’s still in the kitchen. Want to help me get it all ready?”

Carrot nodded and followed her into the next room, leaving me alone with Tenderheart. Without the semi-familiar presence of Redheart there I grew a bit nervous. Well... a bit more nervous. Tenderheart smiled and spoke in a soft, quiet voice that instantly helped me feel more at ease.

“It’s nice to meet you, Broken Mirror. As Redheart said, I’m Nurse Tenderheart. I work with Redheart at Ponyville General Hospital. How are you liking Ponyville so far?”

I gulped and replied,

“Well... it’s nice, I guess.”

She smiled,

“That’s nice. I’m happy such a kind stallion is friends with Redheart. To be honest, she needs to get out more. She’s always so preoccupied with her work that she almost never just relaxes and hangs out with somepony. Especially given her... disastrous hoof-full of dates she’s gone on. So I’m glad you’re taking the chance to get to know her.”

I nodded and tried to smile.

“Well... it’s more that she... decided that we’d be friends.”

Tenderheart looked surprised before shrugging.

“To be honest, I can kinda see why. There’s something about you....”

Something about me? Was I naturally likable to these ponies? Did they find me desirable for companionship?! Am I... “cool”!?!

“I guess it’s because you’re so harmless and dopey acting it’s impossible to be afraid of you.”

...Or that.

“It’s not a bad thing.”

“Huh?”

She smiled and said,

“Being harmless and approachable isn’t a bad thing, despite what some ponies might say. Sometimes you just need somepony you can feel safe around.”

I averted my eyes and sighed. Now that she mentioned it, I kinda wish I knew someone like that. I wish I didn’t feel so nervous all the time. Even around my “friends” I could never let my guard down or I’d risk discovery. I just now realized that I wanted someone I could feel safe around, but I’d never have that... because I’m a changeling.

With a clatter of plates and cups Redheart and Strawberry returned with a tray of tea and a tray of sandwiches and cookies.

“Alright everypony, lunch is served. Tenderheart, could you turn on the radio.”

She nodded as the two mares set down the trays and went about getting food for themselves. Suddenly, Strawberry gasped and ran to the kitchen. She returned with an odly colored jar and a weird stick thing. Redheart glanced at her in confusion.

“Uh... why do you need a scented candle?”

Strawberry shrugged.

“So that the room smells good. This is a big deal after all.”

Redheart rolled her eyes and Tenderheart giggled. Strawberry used the stick thing to light the jar on fire before eating three cookies at once. Tenderheart poked the pegasus in the side and said,

“Keep eating like that and you’ll look as round as a strawberry.”

She scoffed before eating three more and saying, through a full mouth,

“Oh *smack* please. You know I love *gulp* strawberry shortbread cookies. Besides, mares with fuller figures are what’s hot this year. They’re calling it an ‘hourglass figure.’ I read that all those slim Canterlot models are switching to some special high-carb diet to get it. So I’m actually a trendsetter. What do you think, Mirror?”

I blinked and stared at her, completely lost.

“Think what?”

“Do you like skinny mares or mares that are a little plumper.”

...what in Mother’s name?

“Why are you asking him!?” Redheart cried,” I thought you were saying that’s what the magazine said was attractive!”

“Well yeah, but what a magazine says and what stallions actually think can be totally different. So I figured we’d ask an actual stallion what he thinks. So go on, Mirror. Skinny or ‘hourglass?’”

“Uh... I don’t really know. I’m still trying to figure out what you mean by ‘hourglass.’”

Strawberry hummed before looking at Tenderheart.

“Tenderheart, be a dear and stand up for me.”

The nurse did so, albeit with a questing glance towards her friend. Strawberry nodded and said,

“Now you stand beside her, Redheart.”

“What? Why me!”

“Because Tenderheart is thin and you’re—“

“I AM NOT FAT!”

“...I was going to say ‘full-bodied.’ Anyway, just do it.”

Redheart stood before saying,

“Okay, so why are we—“

“Alright, Mirror, who’s cuter.”

The room went dead silent. Redheart slowly turned to give Strawberry a death glare while Tenderheart started blushing profusely. Even with my limited knowledge, I could tell that—

“THIS IS A TRAP!”

I lept into the air and made a mad dash for the door, only to run headfirst into it. I slumped to floor, seeing stars.

“Mirror! Are you okay?”

I shook my head to clear out the stars and replied,

“Yeah, I’m—“

*BONK!*

“...I’ve been meaning to fix that shelf.”

———————————

As the broadcast started I absently munched on a cookie while holding the ice pack I’d been given on the lump on my head. Tenderheart asked,

“Are you sure you’re alright?”

I nodded.

“Yeah, I get hit in the head all the time.”

“Really?”

Redheart nodded.

“Yeah, so far I’ve seen him get water dumped all over him, get hit by cart and then have the cart land on him, and I saw him face plant more than a few times. And word around town is that even more stuff than that has happened to him.”

My ears flattened and I said,

“Wait, you saw me face plant? How many times?”

“Uh... like three times? Why? How many times have you bitten it since you’ve been in town?”

“...Twenty-seven times. Mainly in my own home.”

They all stared at me before Tenderheart asked,

“Mirror... do you, like, have vertigo? Or have you recently had a concussion?”

“Uh... I don’t think so.”

She turned to Redheart and said,

“You checked him out after the cart incident, correct?”

“Yeah. Why do you ask?”

“Did you run any scans while he was there?”

“No, but I did check for physical signs of a concussion and he didn’t show any.”

Tenderheart hummed before asking me,

“When was your last checkup?”

“...What’s a checkup?”

Once again, they all just stared at me before Redheart said,

“Okay, I’m going to schedule you a checkup for, like, two days from now. I have an opening then. I’ll come pick you up for it before work.”

“Okay... but what’s a checkup?”

Strawberry waved her hoof and said,

“Not now! It’s starting!”

We fell silent as a voice came out of a strange wooden box.

”Welcome and hello to all our listeners across this wonderful country we call home. Today is an extra special day and you don’t need me to tell you why. I’m your host Alto Breeze here to bring you coverage of the wedding between Shining Armor and Princess Mi Amore Cadenza. Now, let’s get this show on the road.”

“Here comes the royal bride herself in a truly stunning gown. Somepony get me the name of that shop because that dress is to die for! Oh! And now Princess Celestia herself is preparing to perform the ceremony.”

“My little ponies, we gather here today for the joyous binding of Princess Mi Amore Cadenza To Shining Armor in holy matrimony. Shining Armor, do you promise to love and cherish your bride, in sickness or in health, till death do you part?”

“I do.”

“And you, Princess. Do you promise to honor and—“

“I do.”

Murmurs broke out as Alto Breeze said,

“I don’t know if it’s romantic or a bit rude to cut off Princess Celestia like that. But what can you expect with these star-crossed lovers.”

Celestia cleared her throat before continuing.

“Well then, unless there are any objections, I now—“

“STOP THE WEDDING!”

Gasps erupted and Alto said,

“In a surprise turn of events, Twilight Sparkle, the sister of Shining Armor has interrupted the wedding and... wait, I can’t believe it! Two Princesses?! What in Equestria is going on here!”

“That Princess is a fake who trapped the real Princess below Canterlot!”

The rest was drowned out by the gasps and shouts of ponies until Alto scream,

“What in Equestria are those!?”

Familiar cackling drowned out everything else as a certain voice yelled,

“COME MY CHILDREN! FEED ON THE LOVE OF THESE PONIES! FEED!!!!”

More screams and shattering filled the air as Alto yelled,

“W-what are these things! They’re everywhere! Help! Somepony help!”

*Scrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*

We all sat there in varying degrees of shock and horror as static filled the air. The three mares nervously started talking as I stared blankly at the radio. A feeling of creeping dread filling me slowly. But why? I remembered now, the invasion. This was a good thing, right? I... I should be happy. But why am I so scared? Why do I feel like this is... wrong!? And... for all I knew, the changelings wouldn’t hesitate to attack me too. I was an outcast now.

“Oh Celestia, what’s happening!?”

The panicked voices of the mares snapped me out of my shock as the three mares huddled around the radio nervously switching the stations. Finally they happened upon one where a stallion was saying,

“I-I don’t believe it! Canterlot is being invaded by some sort of bug monsters! For all we know they could be invading elsewhere too! Ponies of Equestria, I’m telling you now. Stay inside, lock your doors, and hide. For all we know this could be a full invasion of the entire country.”

“Oh Tartarus! What’s happening! Are they in Ponyville too!?”

Redheart gulped,

“I don’t know, but we should probably hide. Tenderheart, close the blinds. Strawberry get some food down to the basement. I’ll bring the radio down so we can stay informed. Mirror, lock the doors.”

Suddenly there was frenzied knocking on the door. We all froze as the knocking persisted before the knob turned and the door creaked open. As the mares froze in terror I gulped and made a split second decision. They... they thought of me as a friend, and... they liked me. And I... I realized liked them too. They gave me a house and a job and a Spaghetti. I had never had friends before, but now... these ponies wanted me around. They knew about my bad luck, yet instead of avoiding me they tried to help.

I moved without thinking as the door opened. Before the mares could react I threw myself in front of them and lowered myself into a fighting stance. I was so scared, b-but I had to do something. I had only the most basic combat training given to infiltrators but still, if they wanted my... friends... they’d have to go through me.

“S-stay where you are! I’m warning you! If you want to hurt my f-friends you’ll have to go through me!”

The door stopped before a feminine voice called out,

“S-so you’ve heard what was happening? I-It’s me, Cloudchaser. I’m helping Flitter make sure everypony knows to stay inside and hide. Just... go hide somewhere. Lock your door and hide. T-the weather team is going to tell everypony when to stop hiding too. Just... I’ve got to go! Stay safe!”

With that the door closed and I sprang forward to lock it. Once it was locked my knees wobbled before I collapsed onto the floor fighting back tears.

“Oh Queens... that... that was scary.”

“M-Mirror.”

I turned to look the mares as I wiped my eyes. They were all staring at me with appreciation in their eyes. Strawberry smiled and said,

“That... that was the bravest thing anypony has ever done for me. Thank you. Now come on, let’s go hide in the basement. We’ll leave this to the Royal Guard and Elements of Harmony.”

We all hurriedly locked down the house before heading to the basement which Redheart had light with candles and set out cushions for us to sit on. As we nervously listened to the radio the others moved their cushions closer together so they could hold hooves for support. I flinched when Redheart tapped my hoof.

“Huh?”

She didn’t say a word, she simply held out her hoof in invitation. I held back for a second before slowly accepting the invitation. Soon Tenderheart had moved to take my other hoof leaving us in a close circle around the small radio. We stayed that way for what felt like hours with the mares occasionally expressing their confidence in the Princesses. But I knew otherwise.

Mother was infallible. There was no way she could fail. I had picked the losing side, but... I wasn’t going to turn on my friends with me, or even the others not here. Carrot Top, Fluttershy, the flower mares; they’d all been so kind to me, but there was no hope for them. It was—

“Wait! Listen!”

We all snapped to attention as Strawberry gently turned the dial.

*Skrrrrr* This just *fzzzzzzzz* the invasion is over! The monsters have been expelled from Canterlot. Reports say that the wedding was their only target. However, it has been revealed that these monsters are shapeshifters. We do not know where they will wind up, so be suspicious of anypony acting strangely. We hope to have guards with spells arriving to check for changelings until then, stick together. Other than that, we’re safe. We won!”

The mares erupted into cheers as I stared at the radio in shock. Her Majesty... lost?! How was this possible? Were... were the Princesses superior to Mother?! This... didn’t make any sense.

“Hey Mirror! Were you paying attention?”

I nodded, completely numb.

“Isn’t it wonderful! We’re safe!”

I helped them clean up the basement before we all went outside to where the rest of the town was celebrating. We joined Carrot Top and a few other ponies in front of Town Hall where the mayor was gathering everyone. She cleared her throat before announcing,

“Everypony! As was requested by the Royal Guard, please use the buddy system until defensive measures are established. We don’t know how long that will take, but until then we are in a state of emergency. Stay safe, and don’t let this setback ruin a perfectly good celebration of the marriage of a princess.”

Everyone cheered and began to split into groups. I absently nodded when Carrot Top proposed I stay with her until the all clear was given. I was still numb from the news of the defeat my hi... former hive had experienced. And I couldn’t help but wonder, how was I going to stay hidden now?

Author's Note:

Sorry for the wait and Merry Christmas! Hope you enjoyed!