• Published 10th Aug 2017
  • 934 Views, 52 Comments

Fortunate Misfortune - OutOfTheBlue

  • ...
1
 52
 934

Sick Leave

It might come as a surprise to many that despite having changelings living among us every day, the technology back at the Hive itself is woefully primitive. For instance, should a changeling fall ill they are banished to a colony a ways away where they spend the remainder of their days in squalor in order to prevent an outbreak. I’ll have to see about doing away with this outdated system.

—excerpt from Among the Shapeless by Wanderlust.

—————————————

I sniffed as Redheart propped me up with a pillow and stuck a weird stick in my mouth. I crossed my eyes to look at it but couldn’t really tell what it was.

“Comfortable?”

I sniffed before replying,

“Yeah, I geth.”

“Wow, it’s been about five minutes and you’re already highly congested. Maybe I should run some tests to, you know, see your iron levels and whatnot.”

I stared at her as I processed what she said. Redheart sighed,

“You have no idea what I’m talking about, do you?”

“Not really.”

“How much about diet and nutrition do you know?”

“That if I don’t eat enouph or gather enouph *sniff* love that I’ll starve.”

She waited expectantly for me to continue, but that was all I knew.

“Wait, seriously? That’s it?!”

I shrugged.

“How *sniff* muhch more ken there be-e-EE-ACHO!”

“Proper iron levels; getting enough vitamins A, B, C, D, etcetera; balancing calories from fat or sugar with those from carbs; eating mineral rich vegetables. You ever heard of any of that?”

I shook my head.

“Well, at least tell me what your diet is. What do you eat for meals.”

“Well, when I wakeup I eat some bread. Lunch is a couple flowers. And when I get home from the flower stand I eat some peanut butter. And I try to gather as much love as possible around town.”

Redheart scrunched her nose and said,

“Two questions, how are you still alive, and what do you mean gathering love? Do you, like, suck it out of ponies with your fangs like a vampony, or do you... do... whatever? Something? Does it hurt ponies?”

I looked down and shrugged.

“Uh... I *sniff* don’t really know how it works. I just kinda do it.”

I coughed a few times before sniffling again miserably. Redheart sighed.

“You sound like your getting worse. Tell you what, I’ll get you some cold medicine and then I’ll take you home so you can get some bed rest.”

“Okay.”

I sneezed again as Redheart rummaged around in her kitchen. She returned with a little bottle and poured some of its contents into a little clear container. She handed it to me and gestured for me to drink it. With a shrug I complied.

“BLECH! It tasthe howible!”

“It’s medicine, the bitter ones always work the best.”

I scrubbed my tongue with my hoof as Redheart gathered a few things and walked to the door.

“Come on, Mirror.”

“But the storm?”

“It’s about to let up for a bit, and I have an umbrella.”

I groaned before moving to her side, leaving my blanket on her couch. She stared at me expectantly.

“What?”

“Your disguise.”

“Oh.”

I concentrated and barely managed to transform.

“Alright, let’s—“

“ACHOO! *fwoosh*”

“...That could be problematic.”

I swayed as the room spun around from the strain of using magic.

“Alright then, I guess you’ll have to stay with me until you get stronger.”

“But what if I pass it to you?”

She laughed,

“Mirror, I’m a nurse. Not only is this my job, but I’ve also developed a pretty robust immunes system because of it. I’ll be fine.”

“But—“

“No buts. You’re my friend, and friends take care of eachother.”

I sniffed and started crying again before latching onto her.

“You’re so nice! You’re my bestest and only friend!”

She awkwardly patted my head and said,

“You know, you’re very clingy when you’re sick.”

I don’t know about that but something was making me feel weird. I giggled rubbed my cheek against her’s.

“And you’re fluffy. Fluffy fluffy fluffy. Soft and fluffy. Fluuuuuuh...fy. Fluffy.”

I giggled at how bizarre the word sounded to me. Redheart pried me off and cast a skeptical glance over me as I swayed in place.

“Mirror, I know you’re pretty light and not very big, but are you tipsy from the small amount of alcohol in the medicine?”

“Wha? I don’t knowz what you mean! Hey, ken I pet your mane. It’szz so soft looking.”

Redheart whistled.

“That was fast. Maybe changeling metabolism just works faster than— Hey! Hooves off!”

She tried to push me away as I reached up and squished her bun. I giggled again,

“Izz so soft and pink and floofy and I luv it and you’re amazing even though yeeer a pony and you hate me but you don’t cuz weeeer friends but ponies hate changelingz and cagez them in locks I mean lockth them in cages and—“

“Okay, bed. Now.”

“But—“

“BED!”

I staggered as she pushed me towards a small room off to the side. I whined,

“But I want cocoa! It schoumds soo yummy.”

“I’ll bring you some in a bit. But you need sleep.”

She finally managed to wrestle me into the small futon and was about to leave when I groaned,

“Redheeeeeeaaaart.”

She sighed.

“Yes?”

“Ken you gives me a hug? Yer so soft and floofy and warm it makes me feel all warm and soft and—“

I burst out laughing before continuing.

“W-wait! I, I just said the same thingz I said! Isn’t that funny! Redheart? Red-heart? Reeeeeedheart. Redheart.”

She chuckled,

“Would that make you feel better?”

“Yeth.”

She rolled her eyes and patted me on the head.

“Get some sleep. Maybe I’ll give you a hug when I get you some cocoa.”

It was apparent that her response fell on deaf ears as a small snore rose from the bundle of blankets.

Author's Note:

Inspired by true events.