• Published 10th Aug 2017
  • 934 Views, 52 Comments

Fortunate Misfortune - OutOfTheBlue

  • ...
1
 52
 934

A Hospitable Hospital

These "cages" were surprisingly... nice. I had expected... honestly I'm not sure what I expected. I have never seen a cage before. But I wasn't expecting a comfy thingamajig with beeping boxes beside it. After a small wait a pony with a hat came in. She had white fur and a pink mane done up in a bun with her cutie mark of a red doohickey with four hearts in the corners.

She made that weird face ponies kept making (and that I made once) and said,

"Hello, I'm Nurse Redheart, how are you doing today?"

"Oh, uh... good?"

She smirked (Her Majesty often did that) and said,

"No need to act tough. First off, I need to ask you some things."

Uh oh. This was where they were going to try to force me to talk!

"What's your name?"

Aha! I know this one!

"Broken Mirror."

She scribbled something on her paper.

"Hmm... alrighty then. On a scale of one to ten how bad does your injury hurt?"

Oh no! What were those things!? Those... those... numbers! Uhh....

"Five!"

She scribbled again before setting down the paper and approaching me. I shied away.... What?! I didn't know what she'd try! She paused before walking towards me slower. Before I could make a dash for it she touched my hoof. It wasn't that she held me down forcibly. She just gently held it.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm not going to hurt you. I'm just here to help."

I didn't move as she carefully held a small bright thing and moved it back and forth across my eyes.

"Hm... seems fine so far. Okay, can you tell me where you are?"

"Uh... uh...."

She raised a hoof upon noticing my panic.

"Hey, hey... easy now. Take your time."

I gulped. This wasn't going well.

"C-cage?"

She blinked.

"What was that?"

"Uh... uh... house? Carriage? Apple!?"

She frowned before scribbling some more.

"Patient appears... confused and dazed."

She set down her papers and looked me over. After a while of looking at my eyes and other stuff she sighed,

"I don't see anything serious. So I can probably let you recover at home. I'll see about getting somepony to walk you to your house."

But... I don't have a house? What will I do! How can I convince this pony she finds that I have a house like a normal pony!?

Soon she had led me (slowly, I was still a bit wobbly) to the "lobby." It was a big room with chairs and stuff. Standing in the lobby were the carrot mare, hat pony, and the three cart fillies. (I realized now that I had been seeing more than there were because of getting hit in the head.) The assembled ponies sighed in relief before hat pony said,

"You doin alright, sugar cube?"

I assumed that was me, so I responded.

"Yes."

"Well that's ah relief. I'm mighty sorry 'bout all the trouble mah sis and her friends caused ya."

The fillies looked up at me with big eyes.

"We're sorry."

"It is fine."

That's what a pony would say, Yes?

Carrot mare returned from talking with the nurse.

"Well Mr. Broken Mirror, I guess I should help you get home now."

I nodded and the hat wearer left with the foals. I accompanied my escort out the doors and she began to talk.

"So, you new to Ponyville?"

"Y-yes?"

"Ah. Hey, I don't recall if I introduced myself but I'm Golden Harvest. But my friends all call me Carrot Top."

"I am Broken Mirror."

"Yes, I heard."

She made a weird sound before continuing the conversation.

"So... about the whole bits and job thing."

Uh oh. She was going to ask questions I couldn't answer!

"I asked a few friends of mine about it and they agreed to hire you."

To... hire me? She must have noticed my confusion because she hastily added.

"Don't worry. It's nothing too hard. The three of them run a flower shop and have been trying to start a delivery service. They need somepony to actually deliver the flowers, so that's what you'll do! Unless... you don't want to."

"N-no! No. I am very glad to do that! It's just... I'm not sure I'll do it right."

She placed a hoof on my shoulder. It was surprisingly nice to be touched, I realized from when the nurse had held my hoof and from this. Usually the only touching done at the hive was a punch to the face.

"You'll do fine. Now, where do you live?"

I looked around a bit before noticing a small house near us.

"There!"

She looked at the designated house and frowned.

"You live in that abandoned storage shed?"

"I-is that a bad thing?"

She gave me a weird look.

"Well... yeah. I mean, that really won't protect you from the elements. And it's supposed to rain tonight."

"I'm sorry."

She shook her head, her orange curls bouncing from the motion. Heh, that looked funny.

"It's not your fault. Tell you what, I'll look into finding you a place to stay and you can stay with me tonight! It's the least I can do for... kinda being the reason you got hit. I mean, if I hadn't have been so nosey you wouldn't have been in the middle of the street."

"I'm sorry."

She made a weird, happy sound. It was happy because I could smell it... and taste it... I was hungry.

"Oh you. You're almost as bad as Fluttershy."

Was that a bad thing? I'm not sure what a Fluttershy is so I'll just keep quiet. Suddenly, my stomach gave a loud gurgle accompanied by a sharp hunger pang. Carrot Top frowned.

"I guess we should get you something to eat, huh."

"I don't want to be--"

"Pssh! It's no problem. I'll have you know I make a mean carrot, cucumber and cream cheese sandwich."

She led me to her house and I realized how... pleasant it was. It looked very nice, especially the inside. She sat me down at a wooden table and I heard rattling and banging from the kitchen. She then returned with two somethings, one of which she began to eat. I picked up the other and took a tentative bite. It was... delicious! Better than the water or the carrot from earlier. I immediately hastened my eating and she made the happy sound again.

"I guess you like it!"

I nodded, a common pony gesture of agreement. After I had finished my meal, I realized how late it was. The sun was already sinking below the horizon.

"Just leave the plate. I'll show you to your room."

I followed her to a small space with a few things in it with knobs and other stuff on top, as well as a bed.

"It's nothing much, but it should be comfortable."

"Thank you. It will more than suffice."

"Well, I'll leave you to get some sleep. Big day tomorrow and I want you to be ready for it."

I nodded and sat on the bed. Huh, pictures didn't really show off how squishy it was. She walked away with a call of "goodnight!" Which I mimicked. I flopped onto the bed and layers of it became unsettled. After further investigation I discovered that these things were very soft and warm so I burrowed into the bed and made a little cocoon.

I was doing it! I had successfully infiltrated the ponies and none of them knew anything about it!

(Meanwhile)

"You might have evaded me today, but I will find you. Sleep easy, new pony. I'll track you down."

The shadowy figure laughed as she stroked her vicious pet, a map of Ponyville spread out before her. Come tomorrow she'd--

"Pinkie Pie, what did I tell you about cackling in the middle of the night!"

"To not to... sorry Mrs. Cake."

"*Sigh* goodnight Pinkie."

"Goodnight Mrs. Cake!"

Author's Note:

Sorry about the long wait, but school. Hope you liked this chapter!