• Published 12th Dec 2017
  • 6,857 Views, 1,348 Comments

Student 32: Sunset Shimmer - Show Stopper



Sunset's flight through the mirror has landed her in a rather strange world with even stranger magic. Can she survive this middle school life while being taught by a 10 year old from Wales? A Negima crossover fanfiction.

  • ...
15
 1,348
 6,857

PreviousChapters Next
Arc 6.2 Chapter 54

“Nichibotsu!”

Sunset’s eyes snapped open, full consciousness returning. She looked up to see Evangeline standing over her, a smirk on her face. “You need to work on that,” she chided. “It shouldn’t take you that long to pull yourself out of a meditation.”

Sunset shrugged off her reprimand as she stood. “It usually doesn’t,” she said. “I still need to work on internalizing ‘Hikaru Nichibotsu’ as my name. I suppose if you’ve come to get me that the stage is nearly fixed?”

Evangeline nodded and jerked her head back towards the Tatsumiya shrine. “You’d better get going.”

Sunset stretched her arms above her head before looking up at the massive tree that towered above her, its leaves and bark glowing with a strange light. “This tree. It’s got a good aura for meditation. Took me half as long as it usually does to get into it.” She patted its bark in thanks before taking off towards the shrine.

“So?” she asked as she sped through Mahora. “Anything interesting happen while I was preparing?”

Evangeline shrugged, keeping pace with her. “Nothing too exciting. That idiot made a few more moves, and it looks like he’s given the boy something to look forward to if he can make it to the finals.”

“‘Something to look forward to,’ huh?” Sunset shrugged as she leapt up a building and began running along rooftops. “Well, that’s no matter to me. Whatever motivators he’s got or whatever rewards he might be working towards, I have no intentions of handing the victory over to Wildfire. If he wants to make it to the finals, he’ll have to win it from me fair and square.”

Evangeline snorted. “Like you ever fight fairly. I’ll see you after the match.”

They separated as they approached the shrine, Evangeline vanishing into the crowd while Sunset quickly made her way around to the contestant’s seating. She was surprised to find, on arrival, that it was mostly deserted. “Where the heck did everyone go?” she muttered.

“Setsua-san and Asuna-san left a while ago,” Ku Fie told her. “And I think those two other students went with them. Kaede is still in the medical tent aru.”

“Oh?” Sunset turned her gaze to Negi as he approached. “Just as well. I don’t need Asuna-neechan breathing down my neck about how much I’m going to put Wildfire through the wringer.”

“O-ho? Don’t underestimate my student.” Ku puffed out her chest proudly. “He’s come a long way in such a short time aru. He’ll definitely put up a good fight.”

Sunset’s grin was predatory. “I look forward to it.”

*****

“THANK YOU FOR WAITING SO LONG WHILE OUR REPAIR TEAM DID THEIR WORK! HERE’S THE SECOND SEMIFINAL MATCH! THIS TOURNAMENT IS FINALLY APPROACHING ITS END!

“NOW THEN, JUST WHO ARE THE TWO CONTESTANTS WHO HAVE MADE THEIR WAY TO THE FOURTEENTH MATCH? IN HIS FIRST MATCH, A HEATED BATTLE WAS PLAYED OUT BETWEEN HIM AND DEATH GLASSES TAKAHATA, AND IN HIS SECOND MATCH, HE OBTAINED A MAGNIFICENT VICTORY AGAINST A MYSTERIOUS GIANT DOLL! THE ASTONISHING CHILD TEACHER, NEGI SPRINGFIELD!!! AND, BELONGING TO THE MAHORA MULTI-LEVEL BOXING CLUB, HER POWERFUL BLOWS MATCHED ONLY BY HER UNDERHANDED TACTICS, HIKARU NICHIBOTSU!!!”

Sunset observed her opponent as Kazumi offered her start-of-match commentary. Negi had brought his staff to the fight, in contrast to his previous bare-handed style. Sunset was both annoyed and impressed at that; she’d never seen him fight with the staff, so she didn’t know what sort of tricks and techniques he would pull out. She had to admire his judgement in saving an unknown fighting style for later in the tournament.

On the other hand, that meant he’d never used that style outside of training. Whatever Negi had to bring to bear would be static and unpolished for the first minute of the fight, at least. Sunset had no intention of just giving Negi the victory, but she decided to hold back a little at the beginning, if only to let him find his rhythm with this new style.

But it was Negi’s countenance which concerned Sunset the most. He seemed distracted. He kept casting small glances towards the contestants’ seating as if hoping to catch someone’s eye. His opening stance as Kazumi counted them down was stiff, his grip on his staff entirely too tight.

“NOW THEN, THE FOURTEENTH MATCH… FIGHT!!!”

Negi vanished. It was another instant movement, as Sunset had expected from him.

But something was off. It had taken Negi a half-second longer to begin the movement, and Sunset could sense him behind her, taking a half-second too long to center himself after it. She felt the power building behind her. Felt it concentrating into a single point. Felt the thrust aimed at her spine.

All of it far too sloppy and too slow.

Sunset focused, narrowing her ki to a small area of her back and flaring it as strongly as she could. She barely felt the staff’s impact, but she distinctly heard the splintering of a hundred tiny cracks racing throughout the wood. She heard Negi gasp in surprise and pain. She heard his body ragdolling across the stage behind her, barely stopping before the edge.

Sunset finally deigned to look over her shoulder at Negi, who was staring at her in utter shock. “Wildfire… what the hell was that?”

She turned to face him fully as he got to his feet. He moved again, appearing at her side and striking out with a spear-like thrust. Sunset relocated her focus, flaring her ki in her right hand and casually slapping Negi’s staff aside. Negi kept up the assault, launching strike after strike. Sunset barely moved, casually shifting her concentrated ki to one part of her body or another. Never as powerfully as she had at the first blow, but more than enough to stop Negi’s attacks before they could so much as inconvenience her.

“Wildfire…” Sunset sighed, putting her hands in her pockets as she observed his strikes come at her one after the other. “...Wildfire, this is pathetic.”

“Wha-?!”

Sunset’s hands were a blur. She reached out and grabbed his staff in one hand. His arm in the other. She casually pulled the staff from his hands and tossed him back a foot. She fired off a teleport, landing herself behind him as she poured magic into the staff.

Negi barely had time to bring his arm between the staff and his chest before Sunset’s blow sent him flying off the stage.

“INCREDIBLE! A SERIES OF STRIKES FROM CONTESTANT NEGI, AND THEY DIDN’T DO A THING! IS CONTESTANT NICHIBOTSU JUST THAT STRONG?! OY! NICHI-CHAN! DON’T GO STEALING OTHER PEOPLE’S WEAPONS!”

Sunset stared at Negi as he floundered his way back to the stage. “What the hell is wrong with you?” Sunset asked again, utterly shocked. “Every move - every single blow - was pathetic. It’s like you weren’t even trying. Wildfire… are you even here right now?”

“Wha-what are you talking about?!” Negi shouted, embarrassed and angry.

“I heard that the Colonel said something to you,” Sunset explained. “Some sort of reward if you made it to the finals. But Wildfire, it’s like you’ve forgotten that you have to win this match to get there. Or rather,” Sunset’s eyes narrowed, a spark of irritation flaring within them, “it’s like you don’t consider this match worth your efforts compared to that.”

“I…”

Sunset sighed and shook her head. “You idiot.” She casually tossed Negi’s staff towards him. “Get your head on straight, Wildfire, or you don’t stand a chance. I’ll give you a bit of time to figure out your priorities; I passed something interesting on my way in that I want to check into. I’ll be back before Kazumi can run out the time on me. When I come back, please, for goodness’ sake, fight me for the sake of this match.”

She ignored Negi’s protests. Sunset leapt from the stage, landing on a nearby rooftop where a small gathering had been watching the match. “Aren’t all of you supposed to be manning the Horror House right now?”

“GAH! Nichi-chan!”

“Nichibotsu!”

“Eh?! How did you know we were here?”

Ten of Sunset’s classmates - all but one of the students who were scheduled for the Horror House at the moment - were gathered on the roof of one of the walkways, still in their costumes. “I hope you got someone to cover for you somehow,” Sunset lectured. “I especially would have thought better of you, Class Rep.”

Ayaka blushed and rubbed the back of her neck. “W-we did! Zazie-san assured us that she would be able to- WAIT! That’s not the point! Nichibotsu! How dare you treat Negi-sensei in such a violent manner! I ought to-”

Sunset tuned out the rest of Ayaka’s tirade as she considered what she’d said. Zazie, huh? I figured she was a mage, but how does she plan to manage the entire Horror House on her own? Sunset shrugged, noting that her time was up. Mystery for another day, I guess. “Sorry, Ayaka. Got to get back to beating Wildfire black and blue before Kazumi times me out.”

“NICHIBO-”

Sunset leapt back to the stage just as Kazumi was about to finish her count. She ignored the commentator’s chastisement as she walked towards Negi, eyebrow raised. “Well, Wildfire? Ready to actually fight me?”

Negi stared at Sunset for a moment before lowering his head. “...Nichibotsu. Am I… am I really that beneath you?”

“Honestly, I have no idea.” Negi looked up at her words and Sunset shrugged. “I mean, as you are now, you aren’t even worth considering. I could just ramp up my ki to full-power and wait out the fifteen minutes. I think it’s obvious who the audience would vote to give the win to at this point.” Negi looked down, utterly dejected.

“But,” Sunset added, “the you that fought Takamichi is another story.” Sunset let her mind wander back to that fight. “You were faster in that fight. Stronger. More inventive and clever. I saw you fighting that match and thought ‘ah, now there’s the potential Evangeline’s been proudly bragging about behind his back.’ You were scrappy and inventive and everything a fighter like you should be.” She focused back on Negi as he slowly looked back up at her.

“You were none of those things at the start of this fight. You were desperate, sure, but like you needed this match to be over as soon as possible. You were unfocused. Straightforward. Your attacks felt rote and rehearsed. It was less like you wanted to win this match and more like you wanted to have won it.

“And Wildfire, you don’t stand a snowball’s chance in Tartarus of beating me like that.”

Negi stared at Sunset for a moment, conflict in his eyes. “Then… what should I-”

“Forget it.”

Negi blinked. “Wh-what?”

“Forget it,” Sunset repeated. “Whatever Sanders told you, forget it. Whatever you suspect your reward for making it to the finals might be, forget it. Hell, while you’re at it, forget that the finals even exist. Forget what the audience thinks of the ‘child teacher’ fighting in this tournament. Forget about Takamichi and whatever he’s doing. Forget Chao and her schemes and the internet thing. Forget Asuna, Evangeline, and everyone else. And for a moment - just for this moment - forget about your father.”

Negi’s eyes went wide.

“Don’t misunderstand, Wildfire. I’m not telling you to cast everything aside. But for now, for this fight, put it all away. Take everything that isn’t this fight - your worries, your goals, your dreams - and put it in a box. And set that box aside until this battle is done. Focus on me, this match, and this moment. Look at me and me alone.” She smirked. “And then, with your full focus on me, fight in a way that DEMANDS that I keep my full focus on you.”

Negi stared at Sunset, his mind racing, running through everything that Sunset had said. Everything he’d done in this match so far. Everything he’d been thinking about: obsessing over.

She saw it. The only warning he would give.

The instant his focus sharpened, narrowed onto her and her alone.

He vanished. A point-blank instant movement to get into her blind spot. Sunset turned, pumping ki into her arms as she moved to block the blow from behind.

He moved again. Appeared again at Sunset’s back. He struck. Sunset jumped, flipping over backwards. She lashed out with both fists in a hammer-strike. Negi brought up his staff, diverting the blow to the side. Sunset landed in a crouch, turning and sweeping out a leg. Negi leapt back, gaining just enough distance to lunge in again with his staff - his spear. Sunset punched. They collided.

Both Negi and Sunset were thrown back by the force of the blow, a sizable crater forming below where their strikes had met. Kazumi was shouting something, but Sunset paid it no attention; her entire focus had been forcibly drawn to Negi.

Sunset smirked. “A double instant movement. Not bad. I’ve done similar things with my teleports. By the way, where did you pick up spear techniques?”

Negi leveled his staff at her, a small smirk gracing his own lips. “Rikugoudaisou hakkyokuken covers more than just unarmed fighting,” he said. “Ku-sensei thought it might be useful.”

“She was right. A weapon already gives you a reach advantage, but spear techniques heighten that advantage even more.” Sunset nodded in approval. “Time for me to get serious, then. She reached into her pocket and pulled out a couple of rings.

Negi’s eyes went wide. “That’s-”

Sunset nodded, slipping a ring onto each hand. “My magic focus. Like the one Evangeline gave you. But she gave me more than just the one. And this one,” she held up her right hand, showing off the ruby set in the ring’s center, “is slightly different.”

Negi narrowed his eyes and nodded. “I see. So you’ll be using both ki and magic now.”

Sunset nodded in return. “Now, Wildfire, let’s see just what you can do.”

The ki vanished from Sunset’s left arm. She teleported, landing to Negi’s right. Negi turned, bringing up his staff to block, but was surprised by what he sensed from Sunset. Her right arm went dark with regards to ki while her left flared up, chasing the magic away. Her right hand, in turn, began to flow with magic, concentrating into the ruby-set ring. Sagitta magica. Convergentia ignis!

A large bolt of fire appeared around Sunset’s fist as she struck, the fire exploding on impact with Negi’s staff and sending him flying backwards. Sunset switched magic and ki in her arms again, teleporting to where Negi had been flung, throwing out a ki-enhanced punch.

Negi swerved suddenly, flying off to Sunset’s right instead of right at her. Sunset’s eyes went wide at the dodge and she barely managed to concentrate ki in her right side before Negi struck, sending her skidding back across the stage.

How? Sunset glared at Negi as he charged, striking out with his staff. They danced through a series of strikes, dodges, and parries as Sunset tried to understand what had happened. Mid-air instant movement like what Kaede was using to maneuver in the air last round? No. There’s no way he’s figured that out in only this short time. Some sort of spell, pushing him in that direction? There was no wind or any sign of force. How did he maneuver himself midair like that? Sunset jerked her head to the side, a thrust from Negi’s staff barely grazing her cheek.

His staff… Sunset’s eyes went wide. She started studying Negi between strikes, trying to find any evidence of damage from her earlier hit. Other than a trace of ash on his clothes, it seemed that the attack had had no effect. His staff! It has flight enchantments on it! He used his staff to fling himself back from the explosion to soften the blow! And again to dodge midair! A savage grin tore Sunset’s face in two. Finally! He’s serious! Time to go all-out myself, then!

Sunset parried one of Negi’s strikes, knocking his staff away. She dove forward inside his reach, her fist flying for his stomach. Negi took a hand off his staff, bringing it down to knock her hand aside.

Sunset teleported at the last second. She appeared behind Negi, her fist half an inch from his back. Negi barely had time to register her disappearance before she struck, sending him flying across the stage.

Sunset teleported again, appearing in Negi’s path and delivering a roundhouse kick that sent him flying back the way he’d come. A third teleport saw her right above Negi. She immediately switched her right hand back to magic before throwing another Sagitta Magica-powered punch, slamming him into the ground.

“WHAT AN AMAZING SERIES OF ATTACKS! CONTESTANT HIKARU PULLS OFF SEVERAL RAPID-FIRE INSTANT MOVEMENTS, HITTING POOR CONTESTANT SPRINGFIELD BACK AND FORTH LIKE A VOLLEYBALL! WE’VE SEEN SOME AMAZING MANEUVERABILITY FROM OUR CONTESTANTS SO FAR, BUT MORE THAN EVER IT LOOKS LIKE CONTESTANT HIKARU IS VANISHING AND APPEARING OUT OF THIN AIR!”

Pretty much, yeah. Sunset smirked and took a step back as Negi struggled to his feet, fire blazing in his eyes. Of course, Wildfire catches on quick. That first hit was flawless, but he used his staff to lessen the blow from the second strike, and he blocked the third at the last minute. His reflexes are improving by leaps and bounds this tournament. “Not bad, Wildfire. We’ll make a warrior out of you yet.”

Negi smirked and wiped a bit of blood from his mouth - probably a cut lip. “Your teleports are pretty good too, Nichibotsu. And it’s amazing that you can keep switching back and forth between ki and magic like that. I’d heard that that takes a toll on the body, but you don’t seem to be breaking a sweat.”

Yeah right. In fact, Sunset’s magic pathways were screaming at her already. She could easily manage far more switches if she paced herself, but the rapid-fire switching combined with the sheer amount of power she was pumping through her limbs was wearing her down. I only stopped to compliment you because it gives me a bit of a break to recover. Then again, you’re probably thinking along those same lines. She eyed Negi’s staff. That trick of flinging yourself around with your staff - I’ll bet anything that that’s new. You don’t quite know how to brace against it, so each dodge is costing you as your staff beats you up. Less than if my blows fully connected, but still. Looks like it’s a battle of attrition for both of us.

Negi and Sunset flung themselves at each other again, trading strikes and counterstrikes as each tried to gain the upper hand. Sunset continued making liberal use of her teleports and magic arrows while Negi used his staff to maintain distance as best he could. He suffered a few hard surprise attacks from Sunset’s teleports, but he quickly began to predict where Sunset was likely to pop out, blocking her attacks and delivering counters. Even when Sunset began switching up her post-teleport angles of attack, Negi responded by dodging out of the way entirely. After he managed to dodge five rapid-fire teleports in a row, Sunset had to concede that he’d figured out how to fight against that tactic.

Damn it! I keep forgetting that he’s clever! Most soldiers back home don’t have a clue how to handle this sort of attack-from-any-angle strategy, but he’s figured it out in less than a minute! What sort of combat instincts does this kid have?!

Still, Sunset could tell that Negi’s staff-enhanced dodging was beginning to take its toll on him. He winced every time his staff pulled him out of harm’s way, and he seemed to be trying to take the blows on different parts of his body every time, trying to keep the staff from hitting him in the gut. Sunset was getting worn out too, her magic circuits feeling like they were on fire. She was flinching with every switch now, and she was certain that Negi had noticed. I need to switch this up, Sunset thought as Negi charged her, thrusting with his staff.

Sunset ducked the strike, throwing herself forward and grappling Negi around the middle. It left her open and vulnerable to a couple of punches, but Sunset weathered them as she poured ki and magic into her hands. They began to repel each other behind Negi’s back, straining to separate. Sunset, with a grin up at Negi, forced them together.

*BOOM*

Negi let out a gasp at the explosion of energy that hit him in the back. Sunset capitalized on his having the wind knocked out of him to release her hold. Though both of her hands were aching terribly from the explosion of her failed kanka attempt, she poured magic into her right hand and fired off another Sagitta Magica-powered punch. This one exploded in Negi’s chest with little resistance, charing his clothes and blowing him across the stage.

Sunset winced - half in sympathy and half in pain from her abused hands - and stood upright. Felt a couple of ribs crack there, she thought, watching as Negi rose wincingly to his feet again. If it hadn’t been for his beatdown against Chachamaru back then, I’d be letting my guard down. As it is, he’ll be ready for the next go about as soon as I am. How can I...

“NEGI KUUUUUN!!!”

“NEEEEEEGI! NEEEEEEGI!”

“DO YOUR BEST, CHILD TEACHER!”

Bothe Sunset and Negi were pulled from their fight as the crowd started going wild out of nowhere, cheating for Negi almost exclusively. Sunset glared out at the crowd, a little curious at what had them all in an uproar, rather annoyed that they’d interrupted their fight and a touch embarrassed - she’d gotten so wrapped up in the fight that she’d almost forgotten about the spectators.

“MAKE IT TO THE FINAL!”

“YOU’LL BE ABLE TO FIGHT YOUR MISSING DAD!”

“DO IT, NEGI SPRINGIFELD!”

Sunset’s eyes went wide. Fight his… She glanced at Negi, who seemed equally flabbergasted. Is that what Sanders was getting at? Certainly he seems to know something about Wildfire’s father, but to be able to arrange a meeting… Sunset’s thoughts briefly flashed back to the final moments of Sanders’ fight with Kaede, when he’d seemed to suddenly move differently. No, I can’t discount it. I don’t know what his artifact is or what it lets him do. It’s a possibility, at least. She turned her attention back to Negi. Well, Wildfire? Are you going to let this distract you?

“IT-IT SEEMS THAT SOME SORT OF STORY IS GOING AROUND IN THE AUDIENCE! BUT WHAT ABOUT THE MATCH! THERE’S ONLY A LITTLE MORE THAN A MINUTE LEFT! WILL IT COME DOWN TO AN AUDIENCE VOTE? THAT MIGHT BE BAD FOR CONTESTANT NICHIBOTSU!”

Negi started, turning back to face Sunset. “Nichi-”

“I have no intention of handing you the win.” Sunset set herself, readying for another strike. “I fully plan to knock you out with my next blow. Survive, and you may well get the audience vote.”

Negi stared at Sunset for a moment before shaking his head. “No.” He tossed his staff aside and set himself as well. “I don’t want to win by vote or by default. Nichibotsu. I will defeat you with this next strike!”

Sunset smirked. Excellent. Now, let’s see you follow through. “You can try.”

The audience quieted. Kazumi went silent. The air grew thick with tension as Sunset and Negi stared each other down. Soon, only the lapping of the river against the stage could be heard. They each analyzed their opponent, looking for the right time and place to strike.

They moved.

Sunset came out of her teleport and her eyes widened. Negi had stopped short of where she’d expected, having only moved about a meter. His staff was back in his hand, thrusting towards Sunset’s face.

It was a bluff. A feint to draw me in. He tossed it aside to make me think we’d be meeting up in the middle. I don’t think he even had to use instant movement. While I was busy calculating my teleport down to the exact centimeter and tenth of a degree, he waited for me to appear before striking. Sunset allowed a small smile to slip out. Well done, Wildfire.

Negi’s staff struck Sunset in the forehead. She felt the blow resonate through her skull. Her eyes rolled back as she collapsed to the floor of the stage.

Negi had won.

PreviousChapters Next