• Published 5th Dec 2011
  • 40,964 Views, 2,159 Comments

The Wizard and the Lonely Princess - Harry Leferts



We all have imaginary friends when growing up, right? Harry's turns out not to be so Imaginary...

  • ...
89
 2,159
 40,964

Chapter 8

Disclaimer: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is owned by Hasbro and Harry Potter is owned by JK Rowling.

"Hello"-Normal Speaking

"Interesting..."-Nightmare Moon speaking

'Huh.' -Normal thoughts.

'All mine...' Nightmare Moon's thoughts

__________________________________________________________

As he walked back into the room, Harry took a moment and climbed down into his trunk. He smiled as he saw Luna lounging on a slightly beat-up, but still very comfortable recliner chair near the middle of the room while Nightmare was looking over a parchment. "Enjoying yourself Luna?"

While she cracked one eye open, she stretched with a sigh before she gave Harry a smile. "Very much so Harry." She then patted the recliner. "This is so comfortable. Much better than the wooden throne that me and Celly always had to use."

Nightmare looked up which revealed the small pair of glasses perched on her snout and nodded. "True." She then smirked. "We simply must get one for our personal chambers when we return."

Harry frowned for a second before he hid it. Luna caught it though and made her way over before she hugged him and nuzzled his neck as Harry reciprocated the hug. "I promised you that even if me and Nightmare managed to return to Equestria that I will find a way for you to join us."

Nightmare climbed up onto Harry's shoulders and looked at him over the rim of her glasses. "The Little Princess is quite correct Child." She then snorted. "In this, for a change, me and the Little Princess are in complete agreement."

Harry swallowed a bit before he nodded, blinking rapidly and tightened the hug with Luna. "Thanks you two." As he took a moment, he then let out a breath as he looked around, taking in the look of the room. Along one wall were several bookshelves with a desk the middle. A good number of the books were second-hand, but still in good condition while being a mixture of mundane (which all three of them prefer to calling it muggle) and magical. On the opposite wall was a table with a stereo, a gramophone, and a small shelf unit which contained a mixture of cassettes and vinyl records. And on the third wall was another shelf unit where Harry, Luna, and Nightmare had stored the nic nacs that they've gathered (Luna's and Harry's favourite being an orb that with the tap of a wand and a command phrase would play various nature sounds like night time in a woodland meadow). Beside it was a crate containing Harry's "Practice Materials" that he used in his magical exercises. In near the middle of the room was the recliner with a small table beside it. A bit in front of that was a mat where he practiced his magics. "It's looking quite nice."

Luna nodded. "It is looking better now." She then sighed a little as she waved a hoof at a bare patch of wall. "Could use a little something to add some color."

Harry nodded a little before smiling. "Actually..." He then turned to Luna. "The train to Hogwarts is tomorrow, right?" Luna nodded a little unsure only for Harry to clap his hands. "Well then, time for me to treat you then."

Luna's eyes widened as she waved her hooves in front of her. "Oh! Harry, you don't have to do that! I can-"

Harry cut her off as he waveed her concern off. "I already treated Nightmare, now it's your turn."

Luna blushed a bit as she hung her head and as she bit her lip. "You're not going to let this go, are you?"

Harry shook his head in the negative. "Nope."

Upon seeing his grin, Luna sighed as she knew that she had already lost the battle. "Oh, fine then." She followed Harry as he left before she stopped and looked back at Nightmare. "You coming?"

As Harry turned toward her, Nightmare waved both off. "Not particularly interested in the moment actually." She then shrugged. "I got some reading I want to catch up on. Besides..." She gave them a look. "I am getting tired of being stuck in that backpack all the time."

Luna just shook her head as she saw Nightmare pick up a book of Edger Allen Poe's works and begin reading in the recliner. "Your loss." Nightmare just grunted as she settled down some more and turned the lamp on the table beside the chair on. After she shrugged, Luna flapped out of the trunk followed by Harry as he climbed up the ladder before he closed it, causing it to lock automatically. She then looked over at Harry as they made their way down the steps. "So where are we going?"

Having weaved past a family with a brown haired girl his age who was talking animatedly with her parents about something she had read, he walked out the front door to Luna's surprise as he talked under his breath. "I saw a shop near here that might have something." He then shrugged. "Might as well check, right?"

As she shook her head, Luna smiled. "Thank you." Harry just nodded as they started walking (well he does, Luna flies above him) through the crowds. As they did so, Luna took a moment and looked around with a thoughtful look. 'Who would have thought that things would turn out like this? Fate must have an odd sense of humour. I... created? Became? Whatever. Nightmare Moon came to be due to me being lonely. And then...' A sad sigh escaped her. 'Then my own sister was forced to banish me. And I thought that I would be friendless forever. But just when I was at my lowest...' She glanced down at Harry and smiled. 'How odd that such circumstances would have me meet my first true friend outside of Celly. Me and him, we're so alike and yet so different. Both in pain caused by loneliness. Both wanting and needing friends. We each are orphans of sorts and have issues with our surviving relatives. And we each can use magic.' At that point, she became thoughtful. 'And yet... that's all that's similar, isn't it? We're different species and come from different worlds.' Having caught herself, she chuckled. 'Both literally and figuratively.' She then let go a sigh as she smiled. 'Alike and yet different... maybe that's why our friendship is so strong?' Upon having spotted Harry looking up at her from in front of a store, she swooped down with a raised eyebrow. "Yes Harry?"

He tilted his head toward a building. "Well, we're here." Luna nodded and is about to say thank you when Harry without turning as he opened the door spoke up. "You're welcome."

Luna blinked for a moment before she shrugged as her and Harry had begun to understand each other without having needed to speak at times. As she looked around, Luna's eyebrows raised as she realized that the store was for pictures, paintings, and posters. She then looked at Harry with a shocked look. "Harry...?"

Harry just smiled before he whispered under his breath. "I know you like art. So..." As he shrugged, he softly chuckled. "I figured that you might like this."

Blinking some wetness away, Luna nodded with a large smile. "Thank you..."

Her and Harry began to walk around as they looked at the different items. Finally, Harry turned to her. "Luna? Can I ask you something?" She nodded. "Was art in your time anything like this?"

As she chuckled a little, she shook her head. "Not quite. It was more like the stuff from the this world's Middle Ages. Though I suppose shortly before my... fall happened, we might have been entering something akin to the Renascence that humans went through." She softly sighed. "It was a time of great creativity unmatched since the time before Discord." She then frowned as she looked slightly downward. "There was so much healing to be done after his reign of terror that art fell by the way side. Everything was focused on repairing the damage he had wrought as well as preserving what had survived." Her frown slowly became thoughtful. "A few years before my fall when the arts became something more than a simple past time, I tried to fund several artists."

Having seen her wince, Harry looked around, and seeing no one, softly ran his fingers through her mane. "They didn't accept them, did they?"

Luna shook her head with a sigh as she leaned into his touch. "No, they didn't. I suppose that Discord had something to do with that as the nightime hours were when he had his... special fun. I realize now that may have tainted my part of the day." Luna scowled for a moment before she continued. "After the first few times, I decided to simply fund them anonymously. It worked. And the arts began to flourish." Suddenly she stopped in front of a replica of Starry Night by Van Gogh and chuckled. "Sometimes I wish that ponies were more like humans."

Harry blinked for a moment as this was new to him which lead him to raise an eyebrow before he responded with sarcasm. "Always fighting? Prejudicial against those who are different?"

Luna chuckled for a bit. "Oh no, ponies grew out of that a while before what happened." Seeing Harry's wild-eyed look, she smiled. "Remind me to tell you of everything before Hearth's Warming at a later point. Before then, the three types did not get along... and that's putting it mildly. And ironically the Chaos Times just brought them closer together." She then turned back to the replica and motioned a hoof at it. "To ponies, Night was something to be feared. To humans... while they fear it, they also love it and it fascinates them. Humans have so much to deal with the night. To some, it's darkness can be suffocating. To others, it's a warm blanket. So much creativity has used it as an inspiration." A sad expression crossed her face as she sighed. "I just wish that mine and my sister's little ponies could have seen it the same way..." As Luna shook her head, she looked at Harry. "Anyways... enough of that. Let's go and find something."

Harry nodded for a moment before he glanced back at the replica and then followed. 'Hmm...' As he followed her through the small store, Harry gathered the pictures she had chosen. Some are astronomical which showed things such as stars and nebula taken through telescopes. And others were nature scenes. When pressed by her to chose some as well, he decided on a few fantasy ones which caused them both to chuckle. Finally, Harry began to head toward the cash register before he turned to her. "Um, Luna? Could you do me a small favour?"

Blinking a bit, she nodded with a smile. "Of course Harry. What is it?"

Harry gestured with his head. "Could you go next door and check up on the art supplies?" Upon seeing her quizzical expression, he shrugged. "Gives me the ability to do something if I get bored or need a break. Also, it means that if you ever want, you can go into the trunk and do some painting."

Luna smile grew and she hugged him. "Thank you!"

She then left as Harry watched with a smile. Harry then walked towards one particular item and took it before he went up to the cash and paid for them. He did get an odd look from the casher who then shrugged and goes back to reading her magazine as he left.
_____________________________________________________________

A few hours later found them back at the trunk with Nightmare as she watched him pull bags out of his backpack. Smirking, he pulled one out and hands it to Luna who opened it and gasped. "Ha... Harry?" She showed it revealing that the picture is the Starry Night replica. "When did you..."

Harry chuckled a little. "Remember when I asked if you could go have a look for me at the art supplies?"

Luna began to nod before she stopped. She then shook her head in amusement before she walked over and gave him a half hug. "Thank you."

Harry hugged her back while he whispered. "You're worth it." After a few moments Nightmare cleared her throat which caused them both to look at her to see her smirking. A moment later they let go. Harry looked at the backpack for a moment before he looking back at Luna. "By the way Luna, can I ask what you had me gather all those branches for? You did say that we going to use them when we got back."

Luna nodded with a smile. "As a matter of fact we are." She then grinned. "Time for your next lesson."

Nightmare raised an eyebrow for a moment and then nodded. "So you're teaching that spell to him then?" Glancing at the pictures, and posters she nodded. "I suppose that in this case it would be useful."

As she rolled her eyes, Luna sighed with some exasperation. "Just because I don't teach him flashy spells all the time does not make them useless." Nightmare just shrugged with a bored expression which caused the lunar princess to once more roll her eyes before she turned back to Harry. "Anyways... This is going to be a group of spells you understand. However, they all interconnect." As she gestured with her hoof at the backpack, she asked that he brings out the branches they had collected at a nearby park. After a few moments, a pile of them (most being twigs) were on the floor. As she sat, Luna motioned for Harry to follow. "Now, the following spells are craftspony spells. Remember what I told you about Earth Ponies and the crafts?"

Harry nodded. "They're good at building and creating things."

Smiling, Luna gave him a nod. "Correct. Now, some Unicorn Ponies discovered that their particular talents lay in the crafts as well. They created some spells to help themselves out and that I am going to teach you here." After she grabbed a twig, she held it in front of her using some magic. "Now, the first one I am going to teach you is one that will take the bark off a piece of wood." Slowing she explained the steps, she eventually handed the one that she had been holding to him. "Now. Go ahead and give it a try."

Harry did so, but all that happens was that it splintered into pieces. He did this to a few more and was starting to get frustrated when he stopped. 'Okay... remember what Luna said.' He closed his eyes before he took several deep breaths to calm down and then he opened them and began examining the one he currently was holding. 'Now... how to do this...'

Both Luna and Nightmare looked on in pride as Harry continued to examine it. Luna, especially, had quite a bit of pride in her friend/apprentice. 'That's it Harry. Don't get frustrated.' Having spotted him look at her, she raised an eyebrow. "Yes?"

Harry gave her a look before he sighed. "You didn't tell me everything I needed to know."

Luna just chuckled at this. "I told you all the steps for the spell. But not everything needed to make it work." She then gestured at the twig. "Can you tell me what I missed? Consider this a test of sorts."

As he thought it over for a moment, Harry's brows scrunched together. "I need to be completely calm and focused in order for the spell to work..." Harry saw Luna smile and nod before he continued. "And... I shouldn't be trying to take it off all at once?"

Luna raised an eyebrow as she tilted her head to the side. "You tell me."

Having taken a breath, Harry nodded. "I don't take it off all at once." As he thought it over, he blinked before he looked at Luna. "I should peel it? Like an apple?"

As she clapped her hooves, Luna nodded with a smile. "Very good Harry." She picked a twig up with her magic and then unwound the bark from it leaving only the wood. She then turned to Harry. "While I could explain every little bit of the spell, I find it much more rewarding, for both me and I think for you, for you to figure out some of it. A much better way of learning then to have every little bit explained."

Nodding, Harry pointed something out. "But what if the spell is dangerous? Isn't it better to explain everything then for the student to get hurt trying to figure it out?"

Having closed her eyes, Luna sighed. "It is indeed." She then opened them as she gave him a soft look. "However, when dealing with something that will not hurt the student, it's better to leave them question some of it in order to build a better knowledge base. After all, you will have a better understanding of the spell if you figure some out yourself rather then have to have it told to you verbatim."

Though he gave her that, Harry still gave her look. "But that method does not work with everyone though."

Luna nodded as she acknowledged the point. "True. But for you, it's the perfect method to teach." She then gestured to the pile of sticks and twigs as she smirked. "Now then, get peeling. Chop! Chop!" Despite him rolling his eyes, Harry nonetheless did so. Soon, there was one pile of peeled bark and another of bare pieces of wood beside him. As he reached for another piece after he wiped his forehead free of sweat, he was stopped by Luna. "That's enough Harry." As she saw him about to protest she poked him in the chest with her hoof. "You're exhausted. Time. To. Stop."

Her last three words were each punctuated with a tap which caused Harry to sigh. "Fine..."

As she shook her head, Luna moved to his side and draped her foreleg around his shoulder. "Harry, you're still young and for whatever reason your magic seems to need a lot of work to do these spells. That's probably why your people use wands, their magic being to... turbulent to easily be controlled like this. From what I can see, it takes more work for you to do this without a magical foci of some sort." She then looked a bit haughty. "Good thing that I know how to teach Unicorns that have had similar issues with casting magic."

At this, Harry looked at her at her with some surprise. "There's Unicorns like that?"

Luna slowly nodded. "There are. They're rare, but not so much that they don't exist." She then leaned in conspiratively. "I personally blame inbreeding among those idiot nobles myself. Ever since they've begun having foals with the other Pony types and the 'Lower Classes' the issue had been cropping up less and less." She then leaned back. "Oddly, like wizards, they would sometimes use a foci known as a Horn Ring."

Harry looked at her questioningly as he blinked in confusion. "'Horn Ring'? What's that?"

As she took a breath, Luna tilted her head some. "A Horn Ring was made of a magically conductive metal. Most were silver or Electrum for the less powerful nobility and gold for the higher ones. The highest used Platinum. Most were decorated with gems to make them seem ornamental." As she rolled her eyes. Luna looked at the ceiling in exasperation. "It was an open secret among Unicorn Ponies that they hid so that they would not seem weak way back when. Though they are also used when a Unicorn is performing extremely powerful magic..." She stopped for a moment in remembrance before she shook herself out of it. "The usage of them was dying out though when I left Equestria." Seeing his tired look, she closed her eyes before she channelled some of her own magic into Harry which caused him to relax. After a moment, she stopped and let out a deep breath. "There we go. Feel better?"

Harry nodded. "Thanks." As he got up, Harry leaned back before he looked at the scraps of bark. "I should be getting rid of this though."

Luna shook her head. "No, keep them, we'll be needing them later." She glanced at the watch on his wrist before she nodded. "We should be getting to bed anyways. It's starting to get late and we need to be up early tomorrow to get everything ready." The three headed to bed and the next morning found Harry as he sipped a mug of tea as he watched Luna go all out. "Okay, let's go over this."

Nightmare rolled her eyes, but still nodded with a sigh as she placed her pair of glasses on her snout and picked up a roll of parchment and a pen. "Ready." Hearing nothing, she looked to see Luna as she facehoofed. "What?"

As she massaged her forehead to ward off the coming headache, Luna gave her a deadpan look. "Why the Hay are you wearing those glasses?"

Nightmare looked at her uncomprehendingly. "Because they make me look quite intelligent and distinguished." She then gave Harry an innocent look which caused him to snort. "Do they not Child?"

As he chuckled, Harry nodded. "Quite."

Nightmare nodded her head haughtily and gave a disbelieving Luna a smug look over the rim of her glasses. "See?"

Luna just scowled and shook her head for a moment. "Never mind that." She then cleared her throat as she looked at Nightmare. "Ready?"

Rolling her eyes, Nightmare sighed dramatically. "Quite ready to get a move on."

After she grumbled for a moment, Luna just continued. "Right then. Hogwarts text books?"

Having looked over at the bookcase, Nightmare turned back to her list and made a mark. "Check."

Luna began to pace. "Parchment, quills, ink?"

Nightmare checked and continued to make marks. "Check, check, and check!"

Harry continued to listen in as the two check items off the list until he heard one from Luna that he'd been wondering about for a while. "Mundane Textbooks?"

As Nightmare checked them off, Harry decided to satiate his curiosity. "Why did you buy those anyways Luna?"

Luna stopped her pacing and scowled deeply. "Because those idiots at Hogwarts don't seem to have any non-magical courses!" She threw her hooves up into the air in exasperation. "How the Hay their students are supposed to function in the real world I have no idea! You need to understand math if you are to manage your finances correctly!" She then looked at Harry directly. "There is no way in Equestria that I am going to let you fall behind in your non-magical studies!"

Harry just raised an eyebrow. "You do know that I'll never graduate from mundane school... right?"

Luna rolled her eyes. "We'll get to that when we get there. Besides, I'm sure that if need be there is some way for you to sit for your grade level." As she shook her head, she turns to see Nightmare as she rolled up the parchment and laid the pen back in its place before she took off her glasses. "We're done already?"

As she snorted, Nightmare rolled her eyes. "Of course we're done. And about time too." She then walked over to Harry and she let him pick her up and set her on his shoulder before she continued. "Anyways... we should go and grab something to eat. And maybe something for lunch later depending on how long this train ride takes."

While he nodded in agreement Harry looked to Luna. "That's a pretty good idea I think." Also having gotten agreement from her, the three left the trunk and headed downstairs. Still early, there was not many around though with all the people having come to the tavern/pub the night before they knew it wouldn't be that way for long. Having sat down in a private booth, Harry ordered their breakfast and once it arrived, him and Luna began to eat. At one point though, Harry looked down to see a piece of bacon missing and then when he whipped his head around he saw Luna pop it into her mouth. "Luna? I've been wondering something..." Still chewing, Luna gestured him to go on. "Horses don't eat meat... and yet you sometimes eat some."

Luna stopped chewing for a moment as if she had suddenly realized what she just did. After a moment though she resumed chewing. Swallowing, Luna took a sip of tea before she answered. "And you're wondering why I take it?" Harry simply nodded as she leaned back for a moment. "While Celly was usually diplomatic, there were those times that made her extremely uncomfortable. Usually it was when she had to deal with carnivores. That was where I came in." Having taken another sip, she set the cup down. "I had never had much issue with meat eaters unlike sister and so I was placed in charge of diplomatic meetings with them. For example, the griffin clans in the mountains to the north of Equestria. Remember what I told you about them?"

Harry nodded as he remembered. "Yeah, they were originally serfs to the 'Royal' Gryphons in the Southern Desert. They used the distraction of Discord's arrival and managed to escape into the mountains while their former masters were nearly killed off."

Luna smiled before she nodded. "Yes. Oddly that was one of the few things that Discord was responsible for that were good." After she shook her head, she sighed. "Anyways... after Discord's defeat, we didn't bother with them for about three hundred years. Mainly because we had other issues to deal with. But once raiding parties came into Equestria in search of resources, in particular gold and gems, we had to act." Luna shrugged a little. "Celly was uncomfortable around them so it fell to me to deal with it with as little bloodshed as possible. So with a small entourage of pegasi, due to the area being mountainous, I went and began meeting the various clans and began to work out agreements. Both with us and between the clans. That took several years and one of the things the griffins would do is hold massive feasts. Of course..."

As she trailed off, Nightmare took over. "They were carnivores mostly though they could eat plants. Being in the mountains though limited the amount of agriculture. So that meant that at their feasts it was almost all meat of various kinds from fish harvested from the alpine lakes to a small, rabbit like animal they used as livestock."

Luna once more took over as Harry bites into a hash brown as he listened with interest. "They never had anything truly... objectionable like a Equestrian cow or pony thankfully. But just the same..." As she sighed, Luna shook her head. "While the rest of my entourage could get away with not eating any meat, I, as the leader on the other hoof, could not. Not if we wanted peace as not doing so could be seen as a sign of both weakness and as a insult to the griffins." Having taken a piece of toast, Luna munched on it a little before she continued. "At first I had to force myself to eat it. Hay, I even had to force myself not to get violently ill." She took another bite and swallowed as she remembered. "But, after so many years, I got used to it to such a point that it didn't bother me anymore and I didn't honestly really take notice. Sometimes I would even grab a piece or two out of habit which I guess I'm still doing." Upon having seen Harry's look, she chuckled. "Harry, I know that the various animals that are intelligent in Equestria aren't here, hence why it doesn't bother me that you eat them."

Nightmare snorted as Luna began to eat some eggs. "Though you eating meat really didn't help your reputation any."

As she turned to Nightmare, Luna rolled her eyes. "Honestly. You would think that some of them would think that since I could or would eat meat that I might eat a pony for Equestria's sake." She then shrugged. "Helped out though when I had to deal with the Diamond Dog packs in the east though."

With that the three continued their meal while they made small talk until they were finished. Once done, Harry walked up to Tom and paid for the meal before he asked him about possibly getting something to eat later to which Tom chuckled. "As a matter of fact Mr. Potter, I have just the thing."

After he reached under the bar, he pulled out what looks like a cardboard box causing Harry's eyebrow to rise. "What is it?"

Smiling, Tom gave a chuckle. "I call it a 'Hot Box'" Not having noticed Harry's deadpan expression, he continued. "I took Runes in my Hogwarts years and got the idea from a Muggleborn part timer about two years ago." He opened the box to reveal that inside there were a few markings. "See, these Runes create a combination Heating Charm and Stasis Charm. I place food into it and it keeps it fresh and piping hot. I also have a version that replaces the Heating Charm with a Cooling Charm."

Harry's eyebrows raised at that. "Wow! That actually must be pretty expensive."

Tom shook his head however and decided to let Harry in on it since he had gotten to know him over the Summer. "Not expensive at all. The box costs almost nothing and the runes are written using ink. They're not made to last more than twenty-four hours so they can be ready made." He then shrugged. "I always have some on hand as not many want to use them or need to really." He then grinned. "So then Mr. Potter. What shall you have?"

After he gave his order, Harry piped up as Tom turned to collect it. "You know, you could make a killing if you sell them to other Hogwarts students that pass through to the train."

As he stopped for a moment to think it over, Tom nodded with a small smile. "You just might be onto something there Mr. Potter. I might just do that, thank you."

Once Harry collected his order and walked off, a woman who had listening in spoke up. "Quite the large order for a lad that size."

Cleaning a glass, Tom nodded. "Aye. And yet he never seems to gain a lot of weight." Tom then leaned toward the witch and winked. "I know more than a few wizards who would wish they could do the same." This caused the two to begin to laugh...