• Published 5th Dec 2011
  • 40,915 Views, 2,159 Comments

The Wizard and the Lonely Princess - Harry Leferts



We all have imaginary friends when growing up, right? Harry's turns out not to be so Imaginary...

  • ...
89
 2,159
 40,915

Chapter 9

And we're going to really be heading towards Hogwarts this chapter.

Disclaimer: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is owned by Hasbro and Harry Potter is owned by JK Rowling.

"Hello"-Normal Speaking

"Interesting..."-Nightmare Moon speaking

'Huh.' -Normal thoughts.

'All mine...' -Nightmare Moon's thoughts

__________________________________________________________

While he stood near the door to the Leaky Cauldron, Harry glanced down at the watch on his wrist and sighed. Then as he looked around, he grimaced. "Where is Hagrid? If this keeps up we're going to be late."

From where she hovered above him, Luna smiled as she looked down. "He's coming this way."

Harry nodded as Nightmare was tucked into the backpack, grumbling some. "Took him long enough."

A moment later, a red-faced Hagrid walked up. "Sorry about being late Harry. Have to do some errands for Dumbledore today and fell behind."

Harry shrugged after a moment. "No worries Hagrid."

He then went to grab his trunk only for Hagrid to take it and pick it up as if it weighed a feather. "Here let me take tha' for yeh 'Arry." As he shrugged, Harry takes Hedwig's cage before they started off. As the two made their way, Harry looked up at the giant and thanks him for having retrieved his stuff from the Dursleys. "Not to worry 'Arry. Those great lumps of muggles wouldn't bother me at all."

Frowning at the words, Harry quickly covered it up and began to ask some questions (a few of which are actually Luna's which she has Harry ask for her). Mainly they were about the teachers and what subjects they taught which Hagrid enthusiastically answered. One of them bothered Harry though as Hagrid barely said much about him at all. 'Hm... I wonder what the issue with this "Professor Snape" may be?'

Suddenly Harry realized that he was at the station and Hagrid was setting down the trunk onto a trolley. "And here we are 'Arry." After he had pulled out a pocket watch and checked it, Hagrid jumped a little. "Blimy! I'm really late!" As he glanced around, Hagrid pointed in the direction of the train stops. "Sorry tha' I can't stay 'Arry, but I still got a number of errands to run for Dumbledore in the next little bit. Platform 9 3/4 is jus' ta about tha' way a little."

He gave Harry a hearty clap on the shoulder (which nearly knocks him down), after which Hagrid turned and walked off, Harry's shout to wait was drowned out by noise as a train arrives however. Soon after, Hagrid vanished into the crowd which caused Harry to grit his teeth. "Of all the bloody stupid things..."

Luna shrugged. "Not too surprising. He seems to be a bit..."

Nightmare's voice popped up from the backpack. "Scatterbrained."

Both Luna and Harry looked at the bag before Luna grimaced. "Well... yes. I suppose so." She then looked at Harry. "And with his loyalty to this Dumbledore..." After she shrugged, she sighed. "Well, at least his heart is in the right place."

Harry grumbled a little. "And how much do you want to bet that he's used to wizards and witches knowing where the platform is?"

Once more Nightmare spoke up just loudly enough for only the two to hear alone. "No bet. Besides, you owe me money." Almost sensing Harry's expression, she chuckled. "You should have known better then to bet against me in a game of chess."

She stopped a moment later as Harry shot back under his breath. "Like you know to never bet against me in a game of poker?"

As she rolled her eyes, Luna sighed. "While you two continue this conversation, I'll go and check out the area to find it, okay?" Harry nodded and Luna took off, flying just below the ceiling of the station until she came upon the platforms where she frowned as she alighted upon a ledge near the train platforms. "Now then..." Looking down the row, she frowned. 'I see Platform 9 and Platform 10... where's Platform 9 3/4?' She scowled as she glared at the offending area of wall. 'It has to be there, stupid wizards and needing to hide. Now what's the trick...' Suddenly, she saw a rather stern looking woman in a black cloak and a monocle as she slowly walked up with a young redheaded girl in a similar cloak to Harry's uniform that was pushing a trolley. 'Well now... this looks informative.' From her vantage point, Luna watched as the girl and the woman stepped up to the wall and then seemingly vanished causing her to blink. "Wha...?" She then saw another older woman, this time with a large hat with what looks like a stuffed vulture and a young boy beside her start in that direction which caused her to facehoof. 'And they're trying not to attract attention...' And, once more they reached the wall and vanished. "Must be a trick to fool Mundanes I suppose... Wonder what is with them and fake walls?" As she shook her head, she flapped over toward where she knew Harry was only to find him already having begun making his way through the crowd toward her. Having dove down some, she came to rest on Harry's back (that being the only open place) which caused him to stumble some as she wrapped her forelegs over his shoulders. "Found it and guess what?"

Harry looked up at her. "It's a wall you can walk through?" Upon seeing her confusion, he rolled his eyes. "I heard you say as much."

Luna furrowed her brows some. "I didn't know that I said that out loud... And you heard me? Over this noise?"

Harry shrugged a little. "It was really faint. Could barely even hear it." Harry then glanced at her. "Could you please get off my back? You're kind of heavy."

Her next comment caused him to gulp as he could feel her glare. "Are you calling me fat?" Rapidly paling, Harry shook his head which caused Luna to smile as she patted him on the cheek. "Good boy." Ignoring the glare, she waved on. "Tally ho!" As he rolled his eyes, Harry made his way through the crowds and stepped through, though Luna turned her head as she heard someone loudly asking which platform goes to Hogwarts. She noticed that it came from a woman who was leading a group of red headed children just as Harry stepped through the wall. A moment later she forgot about it as she caught sight of the train. "Well... that's impressive."

Looking the train over, Harry simply nodded before he answered. "Yeah... it is." Pulling the trolley behind him, Harry got onboard and Luna hopped off and glares as Harry playfully sighed in relief before she shook her head. As he gestured down the empty hallway, Harry smirked. "Well shall we your Highness?"

Giggling some, Luna made a small motion with her hoof. "We are most pleased kind Sir. If you would lead Us to our cabin?" The two laughed as a snorting sound was heard before they turned to see Nightmare as she poked her head out of her backpack which caused Luna to raise an eyebrow. "Yes?"

Nightmare just shrugged. "You seem awfully excited. That's all."

Luna rolled her eyes before she gave a small glare to Nightmare. "Considering that we'll be somewhere new where we can learn new knowledge... I think that we can be excited."

As the two bickered, Harry rolled his eyes and opened a cabin door to find a bushy brown haired girl reading a book that he recognized as "Hogwarts: A History". Also there was a slightly pudgy boy and an older, teenage girl with hot pink hair who was hurriedly writing on a piece of parchment while she was mumbling to herself. 'Hm. Doesn't look that full...'

Harry's thoughts were interrupted by Nightmare as she pointed with her hoof at the pink-haired girl. "What the hay is up with your hair?" She then shook her head as Harry faceplamed while the people inside turned towards them. "Seriously? Pink? And hot pink at that?"

The pink haired girl scowled at her for a moment before she glared, her hair seemingly getting spikier. "And what, exactly, is wrong with pink?"

Nightmare held her gaze for a moment before she sneered. "Don't like the color and that's all you need to know."

The girl sneered as well which showed rather large canines that Harry hadn't notice before he blinked as her nose scrunched up, looking almost like a pig's, before he blinked and it was gone. "Too bad you little raggedy Ann wannabe."

Nostrils flared and eyes wide, Nightmare rose to her full (rather unimpressive height) on Harry's shoulders. "DO YOU NOT REALIZE TO WHOM YOU ARE SPEAKING YOU FOAL!? I AM THE MAGNIFICENT NIGHTMARE MOON! MISTRESS OF THE NIGHT AND -"

She got cut-off as Harry grabbed her muzzle and held it shut as she struggled to get free. "Please don't mind her. She's... kind of grouchy at times." Ignoring her glare for the moment, he used his free hand and rubbed the back of his head. "Sorry about this. My name's Harry."

As she gave one last glare to Nightmare, the pink haired girl shrugged before her face seemingly transformed as she smiled which caused the others in the cabin to blink. "Name's Tonks and that's all."

The bushy haired girl (who up to this moment has been watching with her jaw open) shook her head and looked at him with it held high before she introduced herself with a slightly bossy tone. "Name's Hermione. Hermione Granger."

The final occupant, the shy pudgy boy and wringed his hands for a moment before adding his own. "Um... my na-name is Neville. Neville Lon-Longbottom."

Harry just smiled for a moment before he gestured to the empty seat. "Mind if I join you?"

As the other two his age just shrugged, Tonks leaned back before she pointed at Nightmare. "Sure, as long as you keep Raggedy Ann over there away from me."

Still ignoring as Nightmare struggled, Harry pulled out his wand to hide the fact that he was using the Levitation spell Luna taught him to put his trunk on the overhead. Hearing a whistle, Harry turns to see Tonks as she watched him with a huge grin as Hermione and Neville looked in shock. "What?"

Tonks just chuckled. "A silent Levitation Charm? Not bad for a little Firstie." Seeing his glare, she held up her hands in a warding gesture, still grinning like a Cheshire Cat. "Hey, didn't mean anything by it. Kiddo."

It was at this point that Neville spoke up with some awe. "Wow! That was... incredible. Some of my relatives can't even cast a spell silently."

As he swallowed nervously, Harry just gave them a slight smile. "Well... you know what they say... practice makes perfect!"

While the others took that at face value, Tonks narrowed her eyes some. 'Yeah, but the amount needed to not only silent cast but also barely have to move a wand to cast... You are a very intriguing person.'

At that moment a red headed boy with a smudge on his face looked in before moving on as Harry sat down with the now freed (and freely scowling) Nightmare Moon who plopped down beside him. And, unseen by anyone other than Nightmare and Harry, Luna positioned herself on the rack above them as she examined each occupant. That is until a clearing throat caught their attention which caused Harry to turn to Hermione. "Yes?"

As she shifted a little, Hermione took a breath. "Can I ask you where you got your... er, stuffed toy? Never heard of something like that and I've been reading a lot of books on magic."

Using a slightly stuttering voice, Neville spoke up. "Um... they're uncommon but not rare. Pretty expensive too depending on how intelligent they are."

Harry just shrugged before he leaned back with his eyes closed. "Well, I made her when she was only a stuffed doll and it wasn't for a while before she... 'woke up' if you will." A small, sad smile crossed his face. "I... didn't have many friends."

The other three occupants nodded, but made no comments. After a while, Neville freaked out a little. "Trevor!"

Seeing this, Tonks blinked. "Problem kiddo?"

Neville nodded a bit while he blushed. "Ye... yeah. My toad, Trevor, he's gone!"

Seeing that he was panicking, Harry laid a hand on Neville’s shoulder. "Hey, it's okay. We'll look together and find him, right?" Hermione and Tonks both nodded with them having getting up. "Okay then, guess that we'll head out?"

As she walked to the door, and opened it, Tonks jerked her thumb toward the front of the train. "I'll head up this way and check, you guys go towards the back, okay?" Seeing their nods, she walked out. "Meet back here in about two hours."

As Harry and the others walked out, they continued to chat as they made down the halls with Nightmare who checked the spots they couldn't (and grumbling about it). Coming to an entrance to a cabin, they opened the door and peak in to see the red headed boy from earlier with a rat in his hand with the wand poised over it while a young girl watched on. Hermione took charge of the conversation before anything could have been said. "Have you seen a toad in here, Neville’s lost his."

Having caught sight of the wand out, she was about to say something when Harry laid a hand on her shoulder which caused her to slightly flush at his small smirk before he turned to the occupants. "So, have you seen Neville’s toad then?"

Scowling, the boy shook his head. "Nah, haven't seen any toad."

Of course, Hermione interrupted as she wanted to see some more magic and after the boy showed off his "Spell" which didn't work, Harry shakes his head as Hermione kept lecturing before he grabbed her shoulder. "Anyways, thanks for helping. Got to keep looking after all!"

Harry then guided her out of the cabin and back into the hallway where she gave him a scowl. "What was that for?"

Harry simply sighed. "He was starting to get angry and I would rather not start a confrontation before getting to school..." He then noticed a familiar boy walking down the hallway and groaned. "Sadly, doesn't seem like I'll be getting my wish..."

Spotting Harry, Draco sneered as two large boys stepped up behind him. "Well, well, what do we have here? The ragamuffin and his raggedy doll. Do you wear a pretty dress as well?"

Raising an eyebrow at the insult, Harry was about to retort when Nightmare did it for him. "Hm. I did not realize that it had rained enough for the worms to be crawling out of the mud now. How strange..."

As he contorted his face in rage, Draco gripped his wand tightly. "Watch what you say doll. Or you might just find yourself where you belong... in the trash."

Now it was Harry's turn to sneer. "You know, the dress comment is a little weird coming from you..." He then looked over the two large boys. "Tell me something? Do your little friends there follow you everywhere?"

Caught off guard for a moment, Draco went back to sneering. "Of course." He then looked at each one of them with a nasty smirk. "Afraid are we? Wish you had the same I suppose?"

Harry gave a small snort and shook his head. "I just found it odd that... someone like you would be walking around with two large strapping lads behind you at all times is all. But, that's your lifestyle I suppose."

After a moment of confusion Draco snorted. "You only wish that you could have the same lifestyle I enjoy."

His lips twitching as he fell for the bait, Harry just shrugged non-commitively. "Not really, no. Not into that kind of thing."

Draco was about to retort when he heard Hermione smother a snort causing him to focus on her. "And who might you be?"

Slightly off-balance, Hermione answered. "Hermione. Hermione Granger."

Her eyes widened a moment later though. "'Granger'?" As he made an expression as if he just got something dirty in his mouth, Draco's sneer got worse. "You're nothing more than a Mudblood that doesn't belong in our world."

Harry was about to do something when Tonks walked into view. Upon seeing Draco, she scowled pretty fiercely which caused him to step back. "Well, well. Why am I not surprised that you're here causing trouble? Why don't you go back to dear ol' daddy cuz."

The others (Harry, Hermione, Neville, Nightmare, and Luna) all whipped their heads around to stare at her incredulously) as Draco looked as if he bit into something sour. "How disgusting. Mudbloods and Blood Traitors in the same-"

He got cut off as he found himself and his two body guards shoved up against a wall and held there a few inches above the floor as Harry glared at them, his wand out and glowing slightly. "Want to say that again? Please continue..." For once, Draco listened to that little voice in his head which told him to keep his mouth shut and didn't say a word. After a few moments, Harry dropped Draco and his bodyguards to the floor before he snarled. "Get out of my sight, now."

Watching as the three took off down the hallway, Harry kept breathing deeply before he turned and stumbled. Thankfully, he caught himself before he would have fallen. A moment later he found Tonks as she hoisted his arm over her shoulder before she smiled at him. "Here, let me give you a hand there kiddo." Her eyes widened a bit but then she shook her head. "Seems I got something to ask you about." As she looked at Neville, she shook her head. "Couldn't find your toad. And I don't think that we should bother going in the direction that the Three Stooges left in, do you?" Seeing Neville shake his head, she nodded. "Well then, let's head back." Soon after they got back and once Harry was seated, Tonks gave him a frown. "Now then... when were you going to tell us that you were Harry Potter? I thought that we had something."

Shocked, Hermione turned to look at him with amazement, "You're Harry Potter?! I read all about you in a number of books. Like Modern Magical History, Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century and The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts!" She then noticed Nightmare was glaring at her, and behind the possessed plush unseen by all bar Harry and Nightmare, so was Luna, which caused Hermione to jerk back a little before she gave the doll a puzzled look. "What?"

Nightmare just scowled causing Hermione, Neville, and Tonks to step back a little. "That kind of reaction was exactly why he didn't say anything little girl."

Harry just shrugged as Hermione looked at him in shock. "Pretty much what she said. I hate that kind of attention. And, before you asked, I honestly looked at the books and what they said and I think that they're probably complete rubbish for the most part. And don't get me started on the story books either."

As her jaw dropped a little, Hermione sputtered a little bit. "Bu-but the books!"

Before she could say anything more, Harry gives her an amused look. "Can you tell me something Hermione? According to those books, the only people in my parents' house that night besides me and them was Voldemort, correct?"

Having ignored their flinch, he waited until she nodded in slight confusion before her face lit up a little. "Is this because they weren't there?" She then frowned thoughtfully. "I suppose then they wouldn't know..."

Harry just chuckled. "It's actually not so much that they weren't there, though I will admit that plays a part, and more like the fact that they wrote a hypothesis as fact that I have an issue with." He then gave a half-shrug. "Not to mention that they never showed any proof for their hypothesis of what happened."

Neville blinked at this. "A... um... hypo what?"

Hermione, Harry, Luna, and Nightmare all stared at him with an incredulous look before Nightmare put her thoughts into words. "You mean to tell me... that you have no idea what that is?" At Neville’s blushing headshake, Nightmare facehoofed. "The more I find out about wizards and witches and the more I wonder how the hay you even survived to this point..."

As he flushed furiously, Neville gave her a slight glare. "Hey!"

Nightmare just waved him off though. "Eh, I suppose I can leave you pass. You are a young foal after all." Unable to determine if she had just insulted him or not, Neville stayed silent and sat down as Nightmare turned to Tonks. "You, on the other hoof, have no such excuse."

Tonks just upturned her nose at Nightmare, which made said Alicorn blink since she could swear it had just changed shape... "I don't make such excuses. Besides, I know some muggle stuff thanks to my Pops' being Muggleborn."

Harry was about to respond when a knock at the door caught his attention. Opening it, he spotted an elderly witch who was pushing a cart full of various sweets and pastries. "Would any of you like something from the trolley dears?"

Not having had much of a reason to treat himself before (and seeing Luna drooling at the treats) he bought some for several Sickles. As he laid them out on the table, he looked at the others before he pulled out one of the Hot boxes from the Leaky Cauldron, as Hermione did the same across which caused him to raise an eyebrow. "You got some too?"

She just nodded as she opened it and the smell of roast beef wafted into the air. "Yes. Was quite a surprise to come downstairs for breakfast and see him writing an advert for it on a chalk board." Reaching into her bag, she pulled out a thermos. "He said that someone gave him the idea and I was lucky to notice as soon after there was a line as you would not believe."

As he hung his head to hide his smirk, Harry opened his which let the smell of the vegetable soup drift out along with the smell of fresh bread and ham. He placed the bowl of soup and dinner rolls behind some of the treats and his bag on the part of the seat beside him, along with his own thermos, filled with Hot Chocolate to Hermione's tea, which put them out of sight. Unseen by the others, Luna had come down and, after touching Harry's arm with her wing, began to eat the soup and some of the bread. Seeing the amount of food, Tonks snorted. "Hungry much?"

Harry simply shrugged as Nightmare disappeared under his cloak. "Very."

Tonks shook her head in mock exasperation. "I suppose that you're a teenage boy and all."

Harry just chuckled some as he rubbed the back of his head before he took a bite of his ham. "Well... I am a growing boy."

He continued to distract them with small talk until Luna was half way finished with the soup before he placed the potatoes that had come with the ham into the box and takes the bowl and the rolls, (some of which were gone). He then placed the still opened box where Luna was which caused her to smile. "Thanks Harry."

She then began to eat the potatoes as Harry nodded. After he took a bite of a roll, he swallowed and looked at Hermione who was looking at the treats with slight distaste. "Um... is there a problem?"

Hermione started a little and flushed. "Well... not exactly." Seeing the interested looks shot her way, Hermione sat a little straighter before she explained. "My parents are dentists you know. Sugary treats are... in short supply in my house."

Neville was about to say something when Nightmare poked her head out of Harry's cloak. "So your parents are professional torturers then?"

Upon catching sight of the annoyed look on Hermione's face as well as Neville’s slightly horrified one, Harry scowled before he admonished her. "Nightmare. That's enough."

Huffing a little, she held her nose up before going back under the cloak. "Not my problem that it's true."

As he sighed at her attitude, Harry turned to Neville as he could see that he was more than a little disturbed. "She's joking. A Dentist is a mundane tooth doctor."

Blinking, Neville flushed some. "oh... so... um... they're like a mediwizard or witch who works on teeth then?" Harry just nodded as Neville slumped in his seat with an embarrassed expression. "Oh..."

Hermione on the other hand scowled as she crossed her arms across her chest. "Why do people always do that?!"

As she headed off into a rant, no one but Harry noticed several of the pastries going missing as their attention was focused on her. Finally done, Luna made her way back up to the luggage rack before she settled down while she licked a stray bit of frosting from her lips, her head peeking out from over Harry's trunk where she was laying on top of it. "Oh, that was good."

Hermione's rant soon wound down and, other than some small bits of conversation, the trip passed in quiet. Eventually, Hermione was about to reach into her bag but stopped as she saw Harry and Nightmare pull out two books themselves (with Nightmare having placed a pair of glasses on her snout). Harry's being Redwall didn't cause much surprise, though Nightmare's... "Why are you reading Lovecraft?"

Nightmare just gave her a look over the rim of her glasses before she snorted. "Because I find his stories interesting of course." She then shrugged. "He is one of the first, and greatest Masters of the Macabre after all."

Hermione scowled deeply. "He was a racist, sexist bigot."

Nightmare chuckled and shook her head. "As were many an author from that time and before. He is still a great author in my opinion despite it."

Hermione grimaced for a moment before she shot back. "He's not that great an author since his views are easily seen in his stories."

Harry and the rest of the occupants watched as Hermione and Nightmare got into a debate with both eventually throwing thinly veiled insults regarding each other into their arguments. As her lips twitched, Luna leaned in close to Harry's ear. "She seems to be enjoying herself."

Harry smirked as he whispered under his breath while acting as if he was reading a bit out loud to himself. "She certainly is."

Once he turned back to the book, Harry started reading from where he had left off as Luna laid her head on his shoulder as she read alongside. After a few minutes things quietened down and a few hours later Harry stretched as he looked up before he saw a sight that caused him to grin. Which was a sleeping Tonks who was leaning on a heavily flushed Neville who looked like he was about to faint. Hermione also looked up and, upon seeing what was going on, rolled her eyes before she got up and shook Tonks awake. "Wha..."

Hermione then gestured at the clock in the cabin and gave a bit of a bossy look to everyone. "We're starting to get close so time to get changed." She then looked at Harry and Neville. "So you boys get out so we can get ready."

As he shook his head slightly as he knew this was something he couldn't win, Harry left with Neville along with their clothes. "Come on, I think the washroom is nearby."

Once they were out, Hermione gave a slight glare to Tonks. "That was mean you know."

Tonks gave her a mock innocent look in return as she started to get changed. "Whatever do you mean by that?"

Hermione just huffed a little in response. "I know that you were awake the whole time, I saw you smirk."

As she shrugged, Tonks grinned saucily at her. "So? That kid is so fun and easy to tease. Besides, it's all in good fun."

Both froze as a new voice piped up. "True." As they turned, they saw Nightmare Moon who gave them a questioning stare. "What?" A moment later she was thrown out the door and it slammed shut. As she shook her head, she got up and dusted herself off before she glared at the door as she shouted. "I don't know what your problem is. Not like they're very impressive. Quite the opposite!" The door started opening a moment later and she opened her mouth to say something when she started having to dodge spells which caused her to cackle. "Oooo! Hit a sore spot did I?"

In the bathroom down the hall, Harry sighed as he overheard the shouts and yells. He then saw Neville about to head over and grabbed his shoulder. "Don't bother. Nightmare is up to her usual tricks right now." A few moments later the sounds ceased with one last screech of rage before a door was slammed shut. They finally left and stood outside the door as Nightmare slinked out of some shadows with a massive grin on her face which caused Harry and Luna to sigh. "Do you really have to do this?"

Nightmare's grin just grew even more at that. "Yes. Why? Because I want to and it's fun."

While he shook his head, Harry just sighed. "This... may be a long year..."