• Published 5th Dec 2011
  • 40,898 Views, 2,159 Comments

The Wizard and the Lonely Princess - Harry Leferts



We all have imaginary friends when growing up, right? Harry's turns out not to be so Imaginary...

  • ...
89
 2,159
 40,898

Chapter 6

Here's the new chapter just in time for the Holidays. Also, for those worried it'll be a complete rehash of canon, it won't, this chapter is just because I couldn't think of a better way for the introduction to the Wizarding World. Enjoy.

]Disclaimer: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is owned by Hasbro and Harry Potter is owned by JK Rowling.

"Hello." -Normal Speaking

"Interesting..."-Nightmare Moon speaking

'Huh.' -Normal thoughts.

'All mine...' Nightmare Moon's thoughts

"Human."-Gobbledygook


_______________________________________________

As he laid back on the floor, Harry shivered for a moment under a threadbare and partially moth-eaten blanket. He became warmer a moment later as Luna settled on top of him, her wings being wrapped around him as much as possible. "Thanks Luna."

She simply smiled and shrugged. "It's cold out and unlike me you're not covered in fur."

Hearing something, they turned to see Nightmare poking her head out of the bag again with a scowl as she glared at Dudley and then the room where both Petunia and Vernon were sleeping. "Oh, tonight you're going to-"

She gets interrupted by Harry. "You're not going to do anything at the moment." Upon seeing her stare at him in shock, he gave her a pointed look. "At the moment, Uncle Vernon isn't the most stable I think. Do we really want to take a chance of him going off the deep end?"

Nightmare stared at him for a moment before she sighed. "I suppose... I'll just hit him with twice as much once he's his regular oafish self." Both Luna and Harry rolled their eyes as she cackled. Once she stopped, she glanced over at Harry and smiled. "Ten more minutes and you'll be eleven Child."

Harry just sighed and shook his head. "Are you ever going to stop calling me child?"

Nightmare looked up at the ceiling as if in thought for a moment. "Eventually." Suddenly both she and Luna stiffened as a creaking noise reverberated through the shack. Harry was about to say something when Nightmare held up her hoof for silence. "Hush."

Luna nodded as she stared at the door. "Harry... there's someone outside." Her ears swiveled as she looked to the doorknob. "They're at the dock right now. And frankly... I can't think of a good reason why they might have come out here in this weather." Soon, they could hear the sound of rocks crunching under someone's foot. Frowning, Luna stepped in front of Harry with her horn lowed as it started to spark while Nightmare crawled up into Harry's oversized shirt, her own horn lit with a glow.

A minute later the shack shuddered with a "BOOM!"

Vernon came rushing out of his room with a rifle held in his hands. "I warn you! I'm armed!"

Nightmare just rolled her eyes. "Is that supposed to do something? More liable to shoot himself the foal..." Other than that, all was silent for a moment until with a great crash the door was knocked off its hinges and hit the floor. A moment later a giant of a man walked into the shack which caused both Luna's and Nightmare's eyes to widen. "Well... someone's been eating their vegetables..."

The giant then bent down and picked up the door before he put it back on the doorframe. After he turned, he looked at them all. "Couldn't make us all a cup O' tea could yeh? It's not been a nice journey."

Luna, Harry, and Nightmare all blinked with the same thought running through their minds: 'The hay?'

The giant then strode over to the couch before he looked at Dudley. "Budge up yeh great lump."

With a squeak Dudley jumped off the couch and ran behind his parents which caused Nightmare to snicker as he tried (and failed) to hide behind his parents. " Don't know why, but I'm starting to like this fellow."

He then looked at Harry and his eyes crinkled in a smile. "An' here's Harry!" He then chuckled. "Las' time I saw you, you was only a baby." This caused Luna's, Harry's and Nightmare's eyebrows to shoot up in sheer surprise. "Yeh look a lot like yer dad but have yeh've got yer mum's eyes."

A rasping sound came from Vernon before he found his voice. "I demand that you leave at once!"

Harry just watched the confrontation though he felt his eyebrows shoot up once more as he watched the giant bend the rifle as if it was made of rubber before he threw it in a corner. The giant then turned back to Harry. "Well anyway Harry, a very happy birthday to yeh. Got sommat fer yeh here. Mighta sat on it though, but it should be okay I reckon."

After he opened the box that was given to him, he blinked as he saw a chocolate cake with his name on it. As he blinked, he looks up and asked a question on his, Luna's and Nightmare's minds. "Um... who are you?"

The giant blinked for a moment. "True, I haven't introduced meself. Name's Hagrid, Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts."

Harry furrowed his eyebrows for a moment before Luna leaned over. "Well Harry. Seems they did send someone after all."

Meanwhile, Hagrid rubbed his hands together. "What about that tea then, eh?"

Harry watched as he first lit a fire in the fireplace (with what him, Luna and Nightmare assume to be magic) before he began making a cup of tea and cooking up some sausages. Dudley whimpered as the smell hit him only for Vernon to grip his shoulder. "Don't touch anything he tries to give you Dudley."

Hagrid simply snorted. "Yer great pudding of a son don' need fattenin' any more Dursley. Don't worry an' more."

Nightmare's grin grew at this as she whispered just loudly enough for Harry and Luna to pick up. "Now I'm really starting to like him."

Hagrid then passed the sausages to Harry who eats two of them before setting the others aside on a piece of newspaper he had since he was too interested to eat. "Um... Mr. Hagrid."

Hagrid chuckled before taking a gulp of tea and wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. "Call me Hagrid. Everyone does, Mr. was my father."

Harry nodded as Luna smirked. "Go for it Harry."

Harry tapped his chin as if in thought. "So, um, Hagrid... You're from this school of magic then?"

Harry, Luna, and Nightmare savored the looks on Vernon's and Petunia's faces as Hagrid smiled widely. He was about to say something when Vernon exploded. "WHAT!? HOW DID YOU FIND OUT ABOUT THAT FREAK PLACE!?"

Harry simply pulled a letter from his backpack and held it up. "Saw a winged unicorn who gave it to me last night."

Vernon went from a deep red to an almost bone white in a second as Petunia has to grip a nearby wall to in order to keep from fainting. Hagrid caught onto one bit though as he rose full of anger. "WHAT!? WHAT DID' YEH MEAN BY HOW HE FOUND OUT!? DIDN' YEH TELL HIM ANYTHIN'?!" He then turned to Harry. "I thought that yeh weren't getting yeh letters what wit' no replies an' all. But I never thought that yeh knew nothin' about Hogwarts! Did yeh never wonder where yeh parents had learnt it all?"

Blinking, Harry shook his head. "Learned all what Hagrid?"

Hagrid seemed to fill the whole hut in his anger as he turned to the cowering Dursleys. "YEH MEAN TO TELL ME THA' HARRY KNOWS NOTHIN' ABOUT ANYTHIN'?!"

Harry, of course, took slight offense to this as does Luna and Nightmare. "Hey! I know lots of things. I am quite good with my maths and sciences!"

Hagrid simply waved his hand. "I meant about our world. Yer world. Yer Parents world."

Harry swallowed a little at this. "My parents..."

The conversation went downhill from there as Harry, Luna and Nightmare learned quite a bit about his parents such as they were murdered and not killed in a car crash among a number of things. It eventually ended with Dudley (who was snagging the sausages that Harry had put aside) getting a pig's tail. After the Dursley's fled into the other room and locked themselves in there, Hagrid sighed. "Shoudn'ta done that." After a moment he shrugged. "Didn' work anyway. Was tryin' to turn him into a pig. Too much a one already I suppose." He then looked outside. "Well, it's gettin' late and we've got lots ter do tomorrow. Gotta get up ter town and gets yeh books and such." He then handed Harry his coat. "Go on and take a kip under tha'. Just don't mind if it wiggles a bit. I think I still gotta couple O' dormice in there."

Watching as Hagrid laid back on the couch (that collapses under his weight) Harry rubbed the back of his head. "Um... I think I'll be up for a bit. Need to clear the head and all."

Hagrid just nodded. "If yeh want, yeh can have a cup O' tea."

Harry nodded as Hagrid settled in. "Thanks."

The giant nodded and told him that he was welcome before he dozed off. A moment later he was in a deeper sleep, placed there by Nightmare who jumped out of Harry's oversized shirt. "Well now. This has been quite the interesting night."

Harry nodded as he made two mugs of tea before he stared into them. "Very interesting indeed."

Sensing his sadness, Luna came up and hugged him. "It's okay Harry. At least we know the truth now about your parents."

Harry silently set down a mug as he cut the cake with some magic. "Yeah..." Luna leaned against him as the two share his magic as they quietly munch on the cake while drinking the tea.

The next day, they were travelling across the water with Hagrid when he turned to them. "Harry, I was wonderin' somethin'." Harry nodded though his eyes went wide with Hagrid's next question. "What's the thin' in yeh backpack moving around."

A moment later, heard by all is "Ah, horseapples." Before Hagrid could say anything, Nightmare poked her head out of the backpack. "I am the magnificent Nightmare Moon."

Beside them, Luna was facehoofing. "You idiot..."

Hagrid narrowed his eyes some before he looked towards Harry. "Who gave her to yeh Harry?"

Thoughts racing, Harry blinked. "I made her of course... well, her body anyways." Harry then looked at Nightmare. "I met her for real one day when I was stressed out." Silently, Harry gulped. 'Please believe that...'

Hagrid suddenly smiled. "Ah. Never mind the'. I've heard O' toys comin' to life and even talkin'." He then became thoughtful. "Never met one O' course. But I've heard of them." He then gives Harry a pat on the back that nearly caused him to fall forward. "Jus' another sign that yeh'd be a powerful wizard Harry."

Harry just nodded, unsure of what to say. "Um... thanks Hagrid."

Beside him, Nightmare jumped from the backpack before she plopped herself in Harry's lap. "Good. Then there's no more need for me to hide." She then scowled. "I hate hiding. Especially in that back pack. No room to stretch my legs."

Ignoring her for the moment, Harry turned to look at Hagrid. "So, um Hagrid? You said that my parents' were murdered... who did it? And why?"

Hagrid flinched for a moment before he answered. "I don' know if I'm the right one to tell you abou' this..." He then sighed. "It's only righ' that yeh'd find out abou' wha' happened before going to Hogwarts. Best that I tell yeh wha' I can. Mind, parts of it are a great mystery."

As Harry and the other two listened, the tale of Voldemort and how Harry's parents were murdered unfolded. At the end of it, Nightmare had a fierce look on her face as she mumbled Voldemort's name over and over, as if to burn it into her memory. Beside her, Luna was hugging and nuzzling Harry to comfort him as he saw a green flash and heard high pitched laughing. Finally, Nightmare looked up at Harry and after a few moments he turned and picked her up before he hugged her (and while usually she doesn't like being hugged or cuddled, she makes the exception this one time). She then turned towards the sea with an angry look. 'If you ever return Voldemort... I shall show you what a True ruler of the darkness can do...'

After a moment, Harry turned to Hagrid and sadly smiled. "Thank you Hagrid. For telling me."

Hagrid nodded with some dampness around his eyes when Nightmare spoke up. "I got a question for you Hagrid..." Once he nodded, she continued with narrowed eyes. "You said that you were there when Harry had been dropped off at the Dursleys." Both Harry and Luna stiffened as they remembered that (having been too caught up with what happened that night to catch it) as Hagrid nodded once more with a confused look on his face. "May I ask why Harry was left with those animals?"

Though he frowned a bit at the animal comment, Hagrid shrugged. "Don' rightly know. Dumbledore made the decision. Great man Dumbledore. Musta had his reasons. Told me that he would be protected there."

Nightmare nodded as her mind was going a mile a minute. "Thank you for answering that." She then glanced at the approaching land in thought. 'Well now... there is another name for my list. I do believe that he shall be third. Just under Celestia and Voldemort.' She then glanced at Hagrid. 'As to him... we shall see if he should be on it for his part.'

Having cleared his throat, Harry caught Hagrid's attention. "Um... Hagrid? I don't think I can pay for the things I need..."

Hagrid simply shook his head. "Nothin' to worry abou' Harry. Did yeh think that your parents left yeh with nothin'? First stop for us is Gringotts. Wizard's bank run by goblins it is."

Harry blinked at that. "Goblins?"

Hagrid nodded sagely. "Yeah. Goblins. Yeh'd be mad to try and steal anythin' from them. Some O' their high security vaults have dragons." He then sighed sadly. "Crickey I would like one." Seeing the expression on Nightmare's and Harry's faces, he clarified "A dragon I mean."

Flying beside the boat, Luna crossed her arms. "I wonder if the goblins play rock? Or live in a Labyrinth?" Both Nightmare and Harry stared at her which caused her to blush as she looked away with a huff. "What?"

Harry just shook his head and sighed as he softly mumbled. "Never mind..."

Nightmare just turned back to Hagrid. " So then... what else is there protecting Gringotts?" She pointingly ignored Harry and Luna as they gave her a look. "Just out of curiosity..."

Hagrid shrugged, unconcerned. "Lots O' things. Enchantments and spells. And yeh'd get lost in the tunnels unable to find your way out. They're hundreds of miles beneath London see."

Harry gave an odd look at this while he ignored Luna having a victorious smirk on her face beside the boat as she mumbled about someone named Jareth. 'What the? That has to be an exaggeration. There is no way that it could be hundreds of miles below London...' Hagrid then tells him that the only place safer then Gringotts is Hogwarts causing a raised eyebrow from the trio. Hearing Hagrid mumble about a Ministry of Magic as he opens his newspaper, Harry blinked. "There's a Ministry of magic Hagrid?"

He nodded. "Aye. The Ministry O' Magic. The current Minister O' Magic is a bit of a bungler. Pelts Dumbledore with owls every morning asking for advice." Harry then asked what the Ministry does which caused the giant to shrug. "Mostly to keep the muggles from finding out that there's witches and wizards."

Harry blinked at that and this also caught Luna's attention. "Harry, ask him why they're hiding. Maybe it's because of the witch hunts?" Luna shivered a little as she remembered reading up on them after finding out about Harry's magic. 'It must be because of that... right?'

The answer they do get shocked the three. "Why, because otherwise the Muggles would be askin' for magical solutions for every little problem."

A small expression of confusion crossed Harry's face. 'So... the reason why they hide is because they don't want to be bothered to help...' As he looked down, a small expression of distaste crept across his face. 'That's... selfish.' After he shook his head, he raised it in time for the boat to have arrived at the dock. Eventually, they reached London. "Is there really somewhere I could get my items here?"

Nodding, Hagrid stopped. "Aye, and it's righ' through here." He gestured to a grubby pub. "This is the Leaky Cauldron, tis a famous place."

Nightmare snorted softly before she talked under her breath. "If that's a famous place, then I'd hate see what counts as an infamous place." As they walked in, they noticed people who nodded and waved at Hagrid "Huh. Someone's popular."

Harry was about to say something when Hagrid mentioned who he was which caused him to be swarmed. It took a while, but eventually they got through it. From where she fluttered beside him, Luna laid a hoof on his shoulder. "You okay Harry?"

He nodded for a second before he muttered under his breath. "Yeah... but that was insane." He then looked up at Hagrid. "Um, Hagrid? What was that all about?"

Hagrid simply grined. "I told yeh that yeh were famous."

Nightmare grumbled a little. "There's famous and then there's famous." She then looked up at Hagrid. "So... what is the story about that Professor Quil fellow?"

Hagrid looked down at her for a moment. "His name's Quirrell. Poor bloke, took a year off for a bit O' first hand experience. hasn' been the same sense." He then leaned closer. "Heard he had a spot O' trouble with some vampires in the Black Forest. Not to mention a small bit of trouble with a hag. Scared of everything now. The students, and the subject he teaches."

Nightmare's eyes lit up at the mention of vampires. "Vampires... really? So they do exist."

Hagrid didn't notice her evil smile as he nodded and started walking again. Luna just scowled. "How the hay can they expect someone to teach a subject that they're scared of! That will mess up the student's education!" She then noticed Hagrid pull out his umbrella and start tapping a pattern of bricks before they begin shifting and moving out of the way. "Oh... you have got to be kidding... Someone has read too many mystery novels..."

Nightmare just raised an eyebrow and then grinned. "Hm... I wonder what magic is being used..." A moment later she facehoofed. "Diagon Alley... really? they couldn't come up with something better?" Hagrid gave her an odd look but shrugged it off and began walking toward a slightly leaning building. As they passed by a goblin, it bowed and is slightly surprised as Harry bowed, but said nothing. Taking note of the poem, Nightmare chuckled. "Ominous and dark. I fully approve."

They walked through the doors, not having noticed the goblins there as they narrowed their eyes at the group as they passed. They soon arrived at a teller who looked up and watched them with a slight sneer. "May I help you?"

Hagrid nodded as he came up. "Aye, we've come to take some money out O' Mr. Harry Potter's vault."

The goblin nodded. "Do you have his key?" Digging into his pocket for a moment, Hagrid produced the key and handed it to the goblin who looked it over before he gave it back. He then folded his hands in front of him. "There is only one thing left to do. Please stand still."

Before they could say anything the goblin reached under his desk and there was a flash of light. Then they felt a splash of water. As he shook his head, Hagrid looked at the surprised goblin with fury in his eyes. "WHAT WAS THA' ALL ABOUT!"

Clearing his throat, the goblin looked them over with an inquisitive look. "Just a precaution Sir, I assure you. We have had... others try to claim Mr. Potter's money. If you were not who you said you were... well." The goblin snapped his fingers and then the three were completely dry (as Luna was unaffected), though Nightmare was glaring at him with pure murder in her eyes. "Once again, I must apologize for our precautions. We will add your magical signature to make sure that we won't make the same mistake again." They felt a tingling sensation that soon stopped. "Is there anything else I may do to help you?"

Shaking himself, Hagrid nodded. "Aye, I have a letter here from Professor Dumbledore." He leaned in. "It's abou' the you-know-what in vault you-know-where."

The goblin gave him a look but opened the letter and after having read it, nodded. "Very well." He then handed it back. "I will have someone take you down to the two vaults. Griphook!"

Watching as the three visible people walked up, the goblin took note as a guard came up. "Sir, is there anything we should do about our... guest?"

The teller thought it over for a moment before he shook his head. "No, not at the moment. Seems the boy has a spirit following him and he likely knows it. Watch." Both of them observed as Harry glanced to the side and with their keen eyes they saw his lips move slightly. "No, do nothing at the moment. It's non-hostile. but if that should ever prove to be... kill the boy. He's what is most likely anchoring it to this plane. And if he isn't?" The goblin grinned bloodthirstily. "That is one less human in the world so it's still a win."

The guard bowed with a grin of his own. "As you command Sir."

As the guard made his way back to his post, Harry. Nightmare, and Luna were screaming in joy as the cart went flying down the tracks at a high speed. From where she sat in Harry's lap, Luna held her hooves in the air. "This must be what those roller coasters are like!"

Harry nodded as they shot down the corridors at a high rate of speed. Once they reached Harry's vault and opened it, Harry's and Luna's jaws dropped while Nightmare made an appreciative noise. "Very impressive indeed." She then chuckled under her breath. "More than some of those nobles."

Getting off Harry's shoulder where she was sitting, she made her way to Griphook who looked down at her with a sneer. "Yes? And how may I help you...?"

Having stamped down the urge to do something to him as punishment for his actions, Nightmare cleared her throat. "I was wondering a few things about Harry's vault."

Griphook's sneer only grew. "I am afraid that I cannot do that. Only the vault owner and their guardians if they are underage may know."

Having heard this, Harry looked back. "I have no issues with Nightmare knowing the answers to her questions. It is my vault after all and I am sure it's probably stuff I need to know that I haven't thought of asking."

Nightmare looked pleased as the goblin looked as if he just bitten into something rotten before he motioned for the doll to ask it's questions. "Can we have an exact listing of what is in the vault as of right after we make our withdrawal?"

As he nodded, Griphook grunted. "As a matter of fact you can, just see a teller right after your business down here is concluded."

Having made a thoughtful noise, Nightmare nodded. "Also, what happens if the vault is emptied by us through spending? Does it stay emptied or is it automatically refilled to prevent just that happening?"

Blinking, Griphook was stunned for a moment before he shook his head. "Once more, ask a teller."

As she rolled her eyes and caused Griphook to glare, she sighed. "Oh, very well."

Later, after Hagrid had picked up a mysterious object in another vault (a high security one), Harry was in front of a teller who had been asked the same question. After he looked over some papers, the goblin nodded before he leaned back slightly. "Seems your parents have set it up so that it keeps a certain amount in your school vault. As it empties, the interest from the main family vault is diverted into it, thus keeping it at the present level." He then reached down and handed them a piece of parchment. "This holds the current amount of your school vault. And don't bother asking about the family vault as you won't see it until you get to your majority."

Harry simply nodded before he gave a slight bow and walked away. Coming out from the bank, Harry looked up at the giant beside him. "So where are we going next Hagrid?"

Looking ill, Hagrid took a swallow before he looked at Harry. "Well 'Arry, I'll take Yeh to Madam Malkins to get your robes and shuffle off a little to get a pint." Hagrid shook his head and groaned a little. "I hate them rides..."

As he nodded, Harry followed Hagrid as he lead him to a store and left. He soon found himself being measured and fitted for his robes beside another boy with a pale, pointed face. Upon seeing Harry, he nodded. "Hullo. Going to Hogwarts as well?"

Harry looks around while he nodded. "As a matter of fact yes."

The boy nodded with an air of arrogance around him. "Father is getting my books and Mother is looking at wands." He then gave Harry a raised eyebrow. "So what house are you looking to be in?" Before Harry could say anything, the boy noticed the doll. "And why, pray tell, do you have that dingy toy?"

He was surprised as the toy puffed up and whipped around to glare at him. "Dingy! Say that to me again boy and see what happens." Nightmare then looked at his hair and sneered. "And at least I do not look like I used a bucket of grease on my hair."

Now the boy looked at her with anger. "Have you no idea as to who I am!? Who my parents are!?"

Nightmare just gave him a bored look. "The King and Queen of England perhaps? No? Don't care then and can't bring myself to care."

The boy went red and looked like he was about to explode. "Listen here you ratty thing! I am Draco Malfoy! The son of Lucius Malfoy!"

Nightmare just shrugged as she rubbed a hoof on her chest and then looked at it as if it was far more interesting. "And I care... why exactly?" She then looked at him. "And your name... it suits you." Draco puffed up before she continues. "Yes, Draco, a legless worm. And Malfoy, Bad Faith. Yes, both suit you."

Snarling, Draco whipped around to look at Harry. "You better do something about your toy before something happens to it. After all, the Ministry..."

He trailed off as Harry's eyes focused on him, cold as ice. "Are you threatening her?"

Draco just shivered and turned away. Nightmare just stared at him before her eyes hooded some and she purred unheard by all. 'Ooo... very nice.' She then made her way to an unoccupied area and sat down as she watches them get fitted. She then glanced over at the dress robes on another rack. 'Hm... I wonder if any of those might look good on me...'

Finally, the fitting was over and Harry saw Hagrid in the window with an ice cream cone in one hand. Harry gave a small smile as he's nearly had enough with the boy beside him. After paying, he headed out and took the ice cream from Hagrid with a thank you. After finishing most of it, he dropped his hand as Luna presses up against him, taking magic from him as she finished it off (the two not even giving a thought about such things anymore). "Hagrid, can I ask you something?" After he nodded, Harry continued. "Do you know someone called Lucius Malfoy?"

Having gained a sour look on his face, Hagrid nodded slowly. "Aye, I unfortunately do. Where'd yeh hear that name?" Harry told him getting a sigh from the giant. "Remember those how I was tellin yeh abou' those followers O' You-Know-Who?"

Harry nodded slightly confused. "Yeah... but what does that..." Suddenly he grimaced. "Oh, don't tell me..."

Hagrid nodded. "Aye. Lucius was one O' them. In fact..." He looked around and leaned down. "I heard that he was in You-Know-Who's Inner Circle."

Harry looked at him in slight disbelief. "How the Hay did he get off?"

As he blinked at the odd term, Hagrid shrugged. "A number of the Death Eaters got off. Mos' just believe that they paid their way out o' jail."

Nightmare looked over with a slight smirk. 'And there's the fourth and fifth names for my list...' She then noticed Harry with a grimace which caused her smile to grow. 'And it seems Harry is disliking this place more and more...'

As they walked by a shop with a broom in the window, Harry overheard the group of kids talking about something. "What's 'Quidditch' Hagrid?"

He started for a moment and began explaining. "It's a wizard sport. Kind O' like that muggle Football thingy. Except it's played in the air using broomsticks and four balls. Sorta hard to explain the rules."

Harry then brought something up that had been bothering him. "Hagrid, Malfoy mentioned something about Houses... what did he mean?"

As Hagrid explained, Luna gave him a deadpan look as her eyebrow twitched. "What the hay is the matter with these people? Something like that will lead to rivalries and disrupt the learning process..." Soon after they entered the shop and Luna started drooling a little. "So many books..."

Even Nightmare looked slightly excited. During the trip to the Apothecary, Nightmare found something that caused her to shudder with fear and disgust as Luna whimpered and Harry stared. "U... uni... unicorn horns! What monsters!"

Hagrid flinched a little as the man behind the counter shook his head. "I know what you're thinking. Usually I get the reaction from Muggleborns, but you're obviously not one." He walked out from behind the counter and picked up a horn. "Most people don't know is that unicorns shed their horns once every three years. We have people like Hagrid here collect them and then we sell them." He then looked down at the horns with a frown and picked one up, showing the base which wasn't cut. "See? If we cut these from a unicorn, there would be marks, but as you can see there are none." He then set it back down. "Unicorns are pure beings and anyone who willingly harms one can look forward to a cursed life."

Harry just nodded, relieved that it wasn't what he had been thinking. Once they left, Harry looked up at the giant beside him. “So where are we going to next Hagrid?”

He looked down at Harry and chuckled. “Why, to get yeh a wand. Can’t do magic withou’ one.” He then smiled and pointed to a shop with a long stick that sat on a pillow in the window. “And there it is.”

Having entered the wand shop, Harry glanced around as the hairs on his neck stood on end from the feeling of magic, some of it old, which washed over him. Beside him, Hagrid sat down on a chair. Luna was also glancing around. "Slightly spooky here..." Suddenly she stiffened and looked behind where Harry was with a smile. "Seems we have the owner trying to sneak up on us."

Harry whipped around at that and smiled. "Hello sir."

Hagrid jumped a little as he noticed the old man, who also looked slightly startled before he calmed down. Clearing his throat, he seemed to stare where Luna was for a moment before he looked back at Harry with a creepy smile. "Ah! Mr. Potter... I thought that I would be seeing you soon." He leaned in close which caused Harry to gain a slightly unnerved expression. "Your eyes... you have your mother's eyes. Yes. I seems like only yesterday when she was in here..."

Harry listened in as Ollivander told him about his mother's wand, his father's, and the one that had given him his scar. One bit though caught his attention. "Sir? What do you mean that the wand chooses the wizard? Do you mean that they're self-aware?"

Ollivander looked slightly surprised while also pleased at the question. "Oh no Mr. Potter. Or, at least, not how we would see it." He then glanced at the boxes with a fond look. "Every wand has, in a sense, it's own magical core centered around the core material. This magic, according to theory, resonates with similar magical signatures. Hence why it 'Chooses' a wizard. That's the theory anyways. Those of us who make wands... believe that the magic inside the wand chooses those closest to it in personality." He then shook himself out of it. "Anyways Mr. Potter, which is your wand hand?" Harry replied that he favored his right, but could use his left to some extent. "Hm... most interesting... Now then, let's see..." He then brought out a tape measure that began to measure Harry by itself as he turned to the boxes. "Every Ollivander wand uses a core made of a powerful magical substance, Mr. Potter. We use Unicorn tail hairs, Phoenix tail feathers, and Dragon Heartstrings. No two wands are the same, just like no two wizards are. And, of course, you will never get the same results with another wizard's wand."

Beside Harry, Luna looked a little ill at using a piece of a dragon's heart in something like this. Harry just gulped. "So... is there a reason you can't use any more items for cores then?"

Ollivander just hummed a little as he looked over wands. "No particular reason actually. But it's just that those cores in particular are the least temperamental as well as stable. The others only really have a use in a custom wand." He turned back to Harry and regarded him with a piercing stare. "Something that you will not need for a while yet." After that came the wands. Most of them didn't seem to do anything, though the unicorn ones would give off a spark once in a while which caused Ollivander to raise an eyebrow. "Most curious... Hm. I wonder if that one would work." He wandered off for a moment and comes back with a box. Having pulled out a wand, he handed it to Harry who felt a slight warmth. Waving it, sparks flew from it. "Oh! Very good. Not an exact match, but I do believe that this may be the closest we can get for now. But... how curious..."

Harry glanced up from the wand in his hand. "What's curious sir?"

Ollivander seemed to lean in. "I remember every wand I have sold Mr. Potter. It just so happens that the phoenix that gave the feather in this wand, has given just one other. Just one. And it just so happens that the wand in question... gave you your unique scar..." He then straightened. "With that wand you now hold and how you seem to cause reactions, though minor, in various other wands..." He seemed to smile. "I do believe that you are destined for great things Mr. Potter. You-Know-Who did great things as well. Terrible things yes, but great."

Giving a polite smile, Harry and the group soon left. As they walked, Luna rubbed her head with her hoof. "That... was weird to say the least." She then became thoughtful. "Though it makes sense that humans, lacking a horn to channel magic through would find another way." She then grimaced. "Though I could do without the heartstrings bit. There's several dragons I count among acquaintances."

Nightmare just scoffed. "He was stranger then a generous dragon. And what the hay is the deal with Harry having a similar wand? Does that mean anything?"

Luna then noticed Harry as he rolled his wand with his finger tips, every once in a while pushing some magic through it. "Does having a wand related to the one that killed your parents bother you Harry?"

Harry just shook his head as he talked under his breath, low enough that Hagrid couldn't hear him over the bustle of the alley. "While there is that... I'm having trouble sensing the 'Connection' that Ollivander spoke of. I can feel it but... it's somehow distant. As if far away at the moment..."

________________________________________________________________

Having gotten all his supplies except for his trunk, Harry was walking beside Hagrid. "Well now Harry, afta this we'll get Yeh a present and then your trunk before we take yeh back home."

Harry just stopped. "I... don't think that would be a good idea Hagrid."

Turning, Hagrid looked at him with a confused expression. "What'd yeh mean it wouldn' be a good idea Harry?"

Taking a breath, Harry let it out. "What I mean Hagrid is that you saw my uncle, right?" Hagrid nodded. "Well... I'm more then worried. he's been under a lot of stress lately and considering that he threatened to hurt you... I was thinking it might be a good idea to give him some time to cool off if you catch my drift..."

Hagrid slowly blinked. "Well... I don' know... Dumbledore said that I should to keep you safe..."

Harry just shook his head as he repeated what Luna was telling him to. "Well, wouldn't it be safer for me to stay somewhere else and let him cool down? After all, with the way he's acting, I might accidentally set him off and place not only me, but my aunt and cousin in danger as well. He tried everything to avoid the letters including having us go to that shack when a storm was brewing. I don't want to know what might have happened if I fell off..."

Hagrid thought it over. "I suppose tha' yeh have a point Harry." He nodded. "Yeh can stay here tonight while I have a talk with Dumbledore, he'll know what ta do." He then smiled. "Anyways, we should go and get yeh, you're trunk fer school."

As they walked into the trunk shop, they were greeted by the salesman. "Hello you two, going to Hogwarts I take it?"

Harry nodded. "Yes sir." He then looked at the different trunks. "Um... why do you have so many trunks?"

The man chuckled as Hagrid looks over one. "We sell many different trunks for different buyers’ young man. Some, like Aurors, like to have multiple rooms built into their trunks where they can either hide, or store items they might use. I have a Potions Master who has a trunk that she uses to do potion research in using the built in lab. For most Hogwarts students though, a regular trunk with a enlarged space and lightening charm does the trick."

Harry nodded as Nightmare cocked her head to the side. "How many rooms can you have in one and how big?"

Slightly surprised at being addressed by a talking toy, the salesman thought it over. "We could put as many as 10 rooms, though that isn't very common at all. As to size... about the size of a normal sitting room."

Harry nodded. "Are there any extras?"

The salesman chuckled. "Young man, I do believe that you've asked more questions and better ones then most." As he shook his head, he sighed. "As for extras, other than the ones mentioned, we can place a permanent Flame Freezing spell to protect it from non-magical and most magical fires. Won't work a lick against a dragon's fire or some of the more powerful flame spells, but it'll do for most. A cushioning spell is another, helps keep items in the trunk from being jarred around too much. There's a Magical Signature spell to keep others but you and those you choose out, but I would recommend against it due to the fact that since you're still growing, your signature might change slightly and thus stop you from opening it." Harry then asked about items in the trunk rooms. "Well, we have a particular spell for that where it keeps the items where they're left. It basically prevents the motion of the trunk from carrying into the room."

Harry grinned a little. "So it's like a inertial dampener like in those sci-fi shows and books?" He just got a look of incomprehension from both Hagrid and the salesman which caused him to sigh. "Never mind..." He then thought it over some. "I think... I would like the cushioning charm, the Flame Freezing one..." He grimaced a little. 'Just in case Uncle Vernon tries to burn it.' He then continued. "And a single extra room."

Hagrid just shook his head. "Don' yeh think tha's a bit much Harry? I don' think that yeh need that extra room."

Harry took a breath before letting it out. "It's... so I have a private place to simply unwind. Some of the music I listen to, well, some people might not like it." He then blinked. "There is a way to have electricity in there, right?"

Hagrid cleared his throat a little. "Sorry Harry, but them Muggle things don' work at Hogwarts."

Harry blinked and deflated a little as Luna hung her head beside him. "Oh... still let's me have a place where I can unwind though."

The salesman nodded with a chuckle. "Right. We were all young men at one time." He then winked at Hagrid. "Right?"

Hagrid chuckled a little and nodded as Harry looked on in confusion. 'What are they talking about? Whatever... at least now I can practice what Luna's taught me out of sight.'

After having gotten Harry an owl for his birthday (which caused Nightmare to laugh for some reason) Hagrid dropped him off at the Leaky Cauldron and headed back to Hogwarts. As he walked through the doors, the first person he laid eyes on was a sneering Snape. "The Headmaster wants to talk to you."

He didn't even wait for Hagrid to answer before he brushed past him and out the door. After making his way up to Dumbledore's office, he was about to knock when he heard Dumbledore called him. "Come in Hagrid."

As he walked through the door, Hagrid smiled. "Hello there Professor. Happy ta see yeh."

Dumbledore chuckled a little. "Thank you Hagrid." He then engaged in a little chit-chat before he got to the heart of the matter. "And how is young Mr. Potter? Things went well I suppose?"

Hagrid's answer was a scowl. "Those Muggle relatives of his caused problems Headmaster, but I gave them a stern talking to." He then smiled. "And Harry and his friend Nightmare will be comin'."

Dumbledore frowned some in confusion as he tried to place the name and failed. "Nightmare? Who is this 'Nightmare'?"

Hagrid chuckled a little. "She's this winged unicorn doll Harry has. Her full name is Nightmare Moon. Quite the talker too."

Dumbledore leaned forward at this. "Please tell me more?" After Hagrid described the entire day, Dumbledore smiled. "I do not think it an issue if young Mr. Potter gives his Uncle some cool down time. I'll have you escort him to the platform though if it's not too much trouble Hagrid."

Hagrid puffed up in pride. "O' course not Professor!" He then snapped his fingers. "And here I was almost forgetting the errand yeh sent me on." He pulled out the package and handed it to the Headmaster. "Here yeh go Professor, safe and sound."

Dumbledore smiled as he set it on his desk. "Thank you Hagrid. If you wish, I am sure you have things that you feel need doing and I shant keep you with an old man's ramblings."

After a few denials from Hagrid, he was convinced that he could leave and did so. After he was gone, the old Headmaster slumped back in his chair before he looked at some of the instruments as he slipped deep into thought...