• Published 6th Aug 2017
  • 3,448 Views, 80 Comments

Looking For Luna - CapriciousCapricorn



What if Luna had decided to not accept Celestias friendship after being stripped of the magic that had turned her into Nightmare Moon and defeated by the Mane Six?

  • ...
4
 80
 3,448

Chapter 1: The Elements of Harmony

The battle had been short but fierce, my attempts at corrupting them… turning them upon one another had failed. I had watched and listened, offering them their heart's desire or placing them in desperate situations, and yet they refused to yield. I was so sure that the subjects of my former kingdom would balk beneath these pressures, yet these six chose to persevere, chose to resist me.

The light blue pony had sacrificed her dream to ensure her companions could safely cross the gorge into the ruins of the castle. The snooty unicorn with the purple wavy mane had sacrificed her vanity to calm the river beast so they could safely travel across the river. The orange peasant with the hat had managed to calm Celestia’s precious pupil long enough to prevent her from falling to her doom. The small yellow pony hand managed to soothe the enraged manticore that I had injured. The obnoxious pink pony had simply dispelled my illusions in the woods through laughter. It was infuriating.

“Had they chosen not to defy their true princess these six could have been quite the useful servants.” I thought to myself as I stared down Celestia’s pupil, the small purple unicorn had great potential but for now, she was another inconvenience. She lowered her head and pawed at the ruined stone floor with her hooves, threatening to charge. “You’re joking, right?” she continued to paw at the earth, and we charged. I was much larger and had the longer horn, overpowering her would be easy, or so I thought. With a flash, the unicorn warped past me, desperately trying to buy herself time so she could generate a spark strong enough to empower the elements of harmony.

I clenched my jaw as the pale purple light of Celestia’s student surrounded the elements, I growled before enveloping myself in magic and warped before her. The unicorn was startled, losing control of her spark, she was thrown backward while magic crackled chaotically between the elements. “No, no, no!” I whispered in horror, the magic fizzled and the elements fell still, their power still beyond this ponies grasp.

There was a moment of silence, as both I and Celestia’s student attempted to process what had just happened. It was I who broke the silence first, a chuckle escaped my lips as I realized that the unicorn had failed. “No, no, where- where is the sixth element?!” the purple unicorn cried. I didn’t intend to let her find the answer, my chuckle had grown into a cackle as I raised my hooves towards the darkened sky before slamming them into the fragile elements. I watched with glee as they shattered into several dozen pieces and the unicorn's face was filled with horror and dismay, as hope slipped through her hooves.

“You little fool,” I chuckled striding forward “Did you really think you could defeat me? Now you will never see your beloved princess OR your precious sun.” I spat the last few words as the unicorn cowered before me “The night shall last forever!” I spread my wings and laughed. Once upon a time, the elements had been quite powerful, but like my sister, they had clearly grown weak over time. With their destruction a new era could finally begin, no longer would it be my sister who cast the shadows, but I. Before long, no pony would even remember her name.

I was wrong, for all the darkness that I had embraced and the powers that it had blessed me with in return, I was moments away from my second fall. In my revelry, I had failed to hear the approaching hooves of several ponies or observe the light that came into the purple unicorn's eyes. Even if I had noticed, I would not have cared, for their arrival no longer mattered. The elements were already gone.

“Twilight!” they called in unison, rushing to their friend. She rose to meet them, a smile on her lips as she found the path to victory. “Did you really think you could destroy the elements of harmony just like that?” I stopped laughing for a moment, pulling my wings back in confusion “Well then you’re wrong!” cried Twilight as she spun about to face me. “The spirits of the elements of harmony are right here!” she boldly declared, her allied flanking her as she faced me. Twilight continued to speak but I did not listen, my eyes were fixed on the shattered remains of the crystals at my hooves. As she spoke they quivered and began to glow, flying off towards the ponies that embodied their values.

“…The spirits of these five ponies got us through every challenge you threw at us,” Twilight continued with confidence. I didn’t understand how she had done it, the elements had never resonated with more than two ponies. I took a step back, gritting my teeth and looked around anxiously, the elements weren’t intended to work like this. Although this unicorn had managed to call upon the powers of the first five elements of harmony she still lacked the sixth, I wasted no time in pointing it out.

“You still don’t have the sixth element!” I cried as I looked around the room. “The spark didn’t work.” I made myself taller, desperately hoping that she had been unable to locate it, there was still a chance for me to walk away from this. I could still claim my rightful place as Equestria's true princess, I was only lying to myself.

“Oh but it did, a different kind of spark,” Twilights confidence grew, the smile on her face not even wavering, but she turned her back on me to face her companions “I felt it the very moment I realized how happy I was to hear you, to see you, how much I cared about you.” her eyes appeared to become rather watery “A spark ignited inside of me when I realized that you all are my friends”

The purple unicorn had turned to face me again, and I knew with a sinking feeling of horror that it would soon be over. As if to confirm my impending sense of doom a light began to pulse overhead and from it came down the last element, the element of magic. The light was becoming to bright and I was forced to shield my face with my wing.

“You see Nightmare Moon, when those elements are ignited by the – the spark that resides in the heart of us all. It reveals the sixth element, the element of magic!” I watched with horror as the elements came back to life. With a faint pop, they transformed into amulets that rested against the necks of the five ponies as they glowed with a unique and distinct aura. At last, the element of Magic revealed itself, warping into a tiara that landed delicately upon Twilights head.

Time seemed to suddenly move slower, I watched in terror as a brilliant light enveloped the six ponies. I reared back, but it felt as if I were moving through quicksand. I raised my wings preparing to take flight just as a vibrant beam of rainbow power rushed towards me. “NOOOOO!” I cried, lashing out with my forelegs as I was ensnared in a vibrant vortex. There was nothing I could do to escape, but still, I thrashed. I felt my power being ripped away, my wings shrinking and my magic dissolving into the rainbow. My legs gave way and I began to collapse, my fall softened by the vortex.

Weak as a foal, that was the only way to describe it, my legs rebelled against me and a loud ringing in my ears made it impossible to think. My breathing was rapid and shallow as I began to panic, the other ponies were oblivious to this as they celebrated my defeat. Their celebration was cut short as they fell in immediate silence, signaling her arrival. While my sister sang her champions praises, I intended to escape. My head throbbed and I had just begun to regain control over my legs when she began to approach me, our eyes met and my body locked once again. Her lips moved and her eyes were fixated on me, a smile played across her lips as she drew closer. The other ponies were not too far behind.

Shamefully I will admit, I cowered before her. Fear gripped my heart like the sharp talons of a griffin. I attempted to back away, but I didn’t have as much control over my legs as I had thought and stumbled over something behind me. My legs shook and my sister approached more quickly, the ringing grew louder as I began to panic and it was hard to breathe. I watched as her horn lit up and her magic surrounded me.

She was going to send me back to the moon.

I would be alone in the darkness for another 1000 years.

There was no hope for some pony like me.

I didn’t want to go back, I couldn’t go back.

My magic responded as I sunk deeper into terror, emitting a brilliant blast of light that left every pony, including myself, stunned. I was, surprisingly, the first to recover and with the last of my fading strength, I teleported away. It was stupid and dangerous, my mind was unclear and unfocused, at the time I had no idea where I had even landed. At the time it was the furthest thing from my mind, as soon as I arrived at my destination I collapsed, my consciousness being swallowed by a darkness I couldn’t shake.