• Published 6th Aug 2017
  • 3,449 Views, 80 Comments

Looking For Luna - CapriciousCapricorn



What if Luna had decided to not accept Celestias friendship after being stripped of the magic that had turned her into Nightmare Moon and defeated by the Mane Six?

  • ...
4
 80
 3,449

Chapter 4: The Great and Powerful Trixie

I could smell something warm and delicious, a hearty stew-like scent. Slowly I opened my eyes, feeling a vague sense of déjà vu as I tried to recover from my third fainting spell. Instead of finding myself out in the elements, I discovered that I was lying in some sort of cabin. It was small, but felt warm and familiar. The walls had many shelves lined with numerous knickknacks and other small trinkets. Looking down, I found myself tucked in beneath a warm and well-worn quilt.

A door to my left, that I had failed to notice, was thrown open as the cornflower-blue wizard returned. In her mouth was a small bundle of herbs while small packs on her sides were stuffed with berries. She did a double-take, glancing at me several times before realizing that I was awake.
“Ah! I see my number one fan has finally awoken from her slumber!” She cried with delight, accidentally dropping the herbs on the floor.

“Number one fan?” I asked timidly. What the unicorn was saying made very little sense and she was quite sure it wasn’t a result of her numerous collapses.

“But of course!” The unicorn cursed herself before levitating the herbs into a nearby jar. It was quite clear that despite being a unicorn, the task was quite difficult and taxing for her. “What else could explain a unicorn weeping and then fainting in the presence of the GREAT AND POWERfUL TRIXIE?”

“Of course! I didn’t mean to trouble you.” I had no idea who this Trixie was, but I doubted that she was great or powerful. Nevertheless, it wouldn’t be wise to stay in the company of the unicorn for too long and risk having her spell work detected. “Perhaps I should leave you before you waste anymore time worrying about me. I-I wouldn’t want to deprive you of your rest.” I said as I rose to my hooves, hoping to make a clean exit.

“Oh but I can’t let you do that. I can’t help but feel partially responsible for your current state.” Trixie lamented, blocking the door with her body as she posed a bit dramatically. “After all, had it not been for the presence of THE GREAT AND POWERFUL TRIXIE, you wouldn’t have collapsed. What pony could truly be prepared to bask in my presence?”

“Oh, please, you don’t need to worry about that. I-It already means so much to me that you cared for me. I-I couldn’t possibly impose on you any further,” Luna replied nervously. She wasn’t sure where Trixie was going with this and she really didn’t have the time to find out.

“Oh you flatter me, I know! As thanks for being such a devoted fan I will give you a special in-person performance right now!” Trixie replied with delight.

“O-oh, you don’t have to go to all that trouble.”

“Nonsense, it’s the least I can do for my number one fan! This will give me a chance to practice my act before I amaze and astound the citizens of Ponyville.”

⊰ ★ ⊱ ❈ ⊰ ★ ⊱ ❈ ⊰ ★ ⊱

I sat on a log, heavily questioning several of my choices from the past several days; particularly the ones that had led me to meeting Trixie. The blue unicorn had been polite enough to serve me some stew while she prepared her “stage” to show me her amazing performance. I hadn’t realized how hungry I was until I had devoured two bowls. It seemed to have eased some of the nausea I had been experiencing as I realized it may have been a sign of low blood sugar or hunger.

“So Trixie, what brought you to the Castle of the Two Sisters?” I asked as I watched her put the finishing touches on her makeshift stage.

“The castle of the two what-now?” She asked with confusion, stomping a piece of wood into place. She stared at me with a strange look in her eye.

“Oh uh- I mean the ruins of the castle. I mean I hear a lot of ponies say how scary this place is and the lengths they would go to avoid it.” I had quickly realized my mistake and tried to play it off. Trixie seemed to buy it and turned away, focusing her attention on a bouquet that she was making for me to toss to her at the end of the performance.

“Well that’s rather simple, really. The great and powerful Trixie already has incredible show stopping abilities but… I’ve been thinking I need to add something to my already amazing performances. I was thinking about it as I was trotting over to Ponyville when I saw something incredible!”

“Oh what did you see?” I asked, feigning curiosity. I had a feeling I knew what it was but I wanted to confirm exactly what the street performer knew.

“Well, you wouldn’t believe it but I saw this incredible brilliant ball of light and for a moment rocks and boulders were launched into the air. I came over here to see if I could find what had caused all the ruckus but when I arrived only you were there.” Satisfied with her work, she laid the bouquet at my hooves. “You didn’t happen to see anything did you?”

“Oh nope, sorry. When I arrived everything was pretty quiet and I didn’t see any pony or animals around.” Trixie clicked her tongue in disappointment, perhaps hoping that I would divulge something of use.

“Well no matter, Trixie’s preparations are complete. Prepare to have your pretty little pony mind blown!” Trotting towards a makeshift curtain I feigned a star struck gaze of excitement. “I shall show you feats of magic that you have likely never seen!

⊰ ★ ⊱ ❈ ⊰ ★ ⊱ ❈ ⊰ ★ ⊱

Trixie's performance was unimpressive, and that was putting it kindly. She had burst onto the stage, unleashing several smoke bombs with less-than-agreeable aromas. Most of her “show stopping tricks” were barely above card tricks. Many of her “incredible feats” were mundane or easily accomplished by the weakest of unicorns. Still, her passion and determination were admirable and the only thing not in flux throughout the performance. As planned at the end of her show, I tossed her the bouquet and applauded as she continued to bow for several long minutes.

“So what do you think, my number one fan? Brilliant or what?” Trixie asked, trotting towards me with her head held high. She confidently strutted forward as her cape slightly billowed behind her. Pride seemed to radiate from every pore, despite her lackluster performance.

“Oh uhh, it was incredible! Definitely jaw-dropping,” I replied “I mean your smoke bombs were spot on and those fireworks? Uh-mazing!” Trixie's eyes seemed to sparkle and shine with delight. “But…” I paused dramatically placing a hoof against my muzzle. While Trixie had been preparing for her performance I had been preparing for a performance of my own.

“But what?” Trixie asked, a hint of nervousness slipping out.

“Well, it's just, I see what you mean. Your performance was amazing...” Trixie's chest swelled again. “...But it felt as if it was missing something.” I reached behind me and produced a small blue crystal.

I had spotted the crystal while Trixie fussed over her makeshift stage. For any other pony I might have hesitated, but I had a particularly good feeling about a pony like Trixie. I had cast several small charms upon the stone, insignificant enough to be easily overlooked but still able to have impressive effects - one of these effects being increased shimmer and shine.
“Perhaps this would help you.” I held it out towards her as it settled in the center of her hoof. As Trixie continued to gaze at the stone it seemed to glow, catching the light in just the right way.

“What is it, exactly?” Trixie asked curiously “I’ve seen gems before but this one seems… unusual. Does it have any special type of magic?” Unlike the many mares I had met, its shimmer held no sway over her. Instead the unicorn seemed more interested in what it could do, and I was admittedly a bit surprised.

“It’s an ancient talisman passed down for centuries through my family. It hasn’t ever worked for me but… for someone as talented as the Great and Powerful Trixie, it’s sure to bring good fortune!” Trixie smiled, eagerly awaiting the next wave of praise.

“You flatter me! How does this little talisman work exactly?” She asked as she levitated it a bit closer to get a better look at it. “And where in Equestria did it come from?” I had already rehearsed the story several times in the back of my head while Trixie performed.

“Well, my parents told me that many generations ago,” I began ominously, looking from side to side quickly for dramatic effect, “two of my ancestors worked for the Mare in the Moon, before she turned evil and tried to take over Equestria. The talisman was a gift from her to reward them for their efforts, but no one in our family has ever been able to get this gem to work for them. I’m not sure if the story is true, but I’m certain this gem holds some sort of power.”

“Well that is certainly an interesting story, my little pony,” Trixie remarked, her eyes fixed on the tawdry little jewel. “But how does it work?” She spun the gem about, examining each face carefully.

“Come close and I will whisper the spell to you. If I remember right the spell only works if you really want it to and if you need it. I recommend waiting to try it, maybe save it for your Ponyville show. I’m sure it would work then.” Trixie smiled and leaned in close. I cupped my hooves around her ear and whispered the three little words that would seal her fate.

Author's Note:

Special thanks to these readers who helped me catch several errors I overlooked when I posted this chapter:
- ZodiacalComet
- MoonlightEcplipsed
- DarkKnightOfIT