• Published 6th Aug 2017
  • 3,449 Views, 80 Comments

Looking For Luna - CapriciousCapricorn



What if Luna had decided to not accept Celestias friendship after being stripped of the magic that had turned her into Nightmare Moon and defeated by the Mane Six?

  • ...
4
 80
 3,449

Chapter 3: Aftermath

Celestria stretched her neck towards the sky. The moon was beautiful without the shape of a mare emblazoned across its delicate silver face any longer. The stars had always felt cold and distant since Luna’s banishment, but since her return, they felt even colder to the white mare. Her eyes were riveted on the luminous orb, hoping desperately that it would move and slide behind the horizon, for several moments she waited with baited breath. Still the moon and her stars stood frozen in place, just as they had every night for the last thousand years.

“Craaw craw,” a gentle coo broke the mare from her trance as a flame coated bird nuzzled her neck. “Crrrra crrrwww,” it continued to gently cluck, nipping lovingly at its owner. With a resigned sigh Celestia lowered the moon, watching as the sun slowly began to climb over the horizon. Soon the sky was painted with lovely pinks and yellows as the dark purple and blue hues of the night were chased from the sky. The phoenix tilted its head with concern and drew closer, picking up on the alicorns disappointment.

“No, no, Philomena… you were right, it was time to raise the sun.” For several days she had watched for any changes to Luna’s moon or her sun, praying that she would find some trace of the former princess in the night sky. Celestia did not see Luna in her dreams, nor had any reports of an unfamiliar alicorn been delivered to Canterlot. In fact, Celestia couldn’t even begin to reflect upon the resources she had wasted scouring the former castle grounds or surrounding woods looking for her. It was time to accept that she could no longer hope that Luna would easily be found or willingly return to her. It was as if she had simply… vanished. Perhaps she was safe wherever she was. Celestia’s last memory of her was etched painfully into her mind. She had hoped that when we they next met it would be as sisters and not as foes, but she could not base all her decisions around such a fanciful resolution any longer.

“Let’s go, my pet. We have a long day ahead of us and many ponies to speak with… I suppose it is time that I own up to my past mistakes.” She paused, unwilling to step forward, to prepare her city… her people, for the nightmare that could ensue. As if sensing my hesitation, the phoenix spread her wings and flapped several times before nipping at the princesses flank. With a chuckle she took the hint and trotted forward. The day would be long but wouldn’t get any shorter if she tried to avoid it.

⊰ ★ ⊱ ❈ ⊰ ★ ⊱ ❈ ⊰ ★ ⊱

After the battle with Nightmare Moon everything had been a blur for the Princess and her pupil. Princess Celestia had promised the six ponies that she would explain everything later, but to restore order they needed to finish the Summer Sun Celebration. They had been paraded about Ponyville as heroes while Celestia finished raising the sun and ponies cheered, letting it conclude as scheduled. Afterwards they returned immediately to Canterlot, the promise of an explanation to be delivered shortly.

It had been seven days since the Summer Sun Celebration, and while she had plenty of books to read, Twilight’s mind kept wandering back to Nightmare Moon's face when Celestia had approached her. She had looked so scared - no, terrified - of Celestia. While old history books cited the “Mare in The Moon’s” transformation as a result of jealousy and envy, was that all there was to the story? There were very few texts or tomes that even mentioned the Mare in the Moon and even fewer that mentioned Luna. The lack of information… bothered Twilight, leaving her anxious and restless. There hadn’t been a moment to ask her mentor anything. Day after day dignitaries descended upon Canterlot, demanding information. Their first concern was always what had happened to Nightmare Moon and what had happened to the princess. Even now, as Twilight waited for her ponyville friends, a long line of news ponies, government representatives, and those with usual business, all waited for a moment of the princess’s time. Even thinking about the state of affairs made it impossible for Twilight Sparkle to sit still. Anxiously, she trotted back and forth about the Canterlot train station while Spike watched.

“Twilight, maybe you should sit down and relax for a bit,” the small purple dragon suggested, his green spines sparkling in the sunlight. “The train will be here before you know it. Besides, if you keep pacing like this, you won’t have any energy left to show our friends around Canterlot." The pair had arrived at the station about an hour ago, at Twilight's insistence that they “not take any chances and risk being late.” Twilight hadn’t stopped pacing since they had arrived.

“Spike, don’t you understand how important this is? Princess Celestia is going to explain more about Nightmare Moon and the next steps for locating Luna.” Twilight's tail swung irritably as she spoke, snapping from side to side. “Who is apparently her sister and also a princess. If that wasn’t bad enough the only thing we’ve got to defend ourselves against her are the Elements of Harmony.” The last words were finished with noticeable anxiety and exasperation. Spike walked over and gently patted Twilight's shoulder. “I mean, Princess Luna has been gone for a thousand years. Who knows where she’s gone, or if she’s hurt, or has been captured, or is plotting some sort of horrible revenge.” Twilight continued to ramble as her anxiety continued to grow, fueled by her own darkening thoughts.

“Well… Princess Celestia has always seemed pretty prepared. I’m sure she has a plan to help us find or defeat Luna.” Spike replied. Twilight had already shared with him the events that had transpired in the Everfree Castle. In fact, she had given him a play-by-play of the events, analyzing each action they had taken, determining if there was anything they could have done to have had things end differently. Spike wasn’t sure if Princess Celestia really did have a plan, but he hoped she did, if for nothing else than to ease Twilight's anxiety. He could tell that not being able to help Celestia reconcile with her sister right away had been weighing heavily on her mind.

Their conversation was interrupted by the shrill shriek of the train's horn, announcing its impending arrival. The two walked to the edge of the platform and waited, watching for the train that would soon be coming around the bend. It wasn’t long before the colorful Friendship Express came into view. Several moments later it came to a stop, letting out a slow hiss as it settled. Ponies disembarked and Twilight anxiously scanned the crowd until a familiar voice caught her attention “Twilight!” She turned to her left, barely managing to withstand a leaping Pinkie Pie hug “Oh my gosh, it is so good to see you again! Even though it’s only been like a couple of days it feeeels like forever!” the pink earth pony excitedly chattered on as the rest of their friends approached.

“It's good to see you, too, Pinkie Pie. Actually it's good to see all of you,” Twilight replied warmly. The purple unicorn had been so caught up in her own thoughts and the events within the castle that she hadn’t realized how much she missed them until she’d seen them. Fluttershy and Rarity moved in for hugs of their own while Applejack and Rainbow Dash trotted up behind them, waving as they approached.

“It’s nice to see you too, Sugarcube. We haven’t heard much since you an’ the princess returned to Canterlot. Is everything alright?”

“Yeah, has the princess caught Nightmare Moon? Or is she still out there somewhere? ‘Cause if she thinks she can beat us, she’s got another think coming!” Rainbow Dash said cheekily, a grin on her face as she took a couple of swipes in the air.

“Rainbow Dash, would you please settle down? We’re in Canterlot now,” Rarity added, “the city of culture and couture. This is hardly the time or place for that sort of behavior.” Twilight couldn’t stop smiling. While their adventure together had been brief, she felt as if she had known these ponies forever.

“Twilight?” Spike tugged on the purple unicorn's tail and said, “We should really get back to carriage, maybe we can talk more there…” While the purple dragon hated interrupting, it was rare for Twilight to want to enjoy the company of a pony who wasn’t the princess, a teacher, or librarian. He also knew how much she had missed them since returning to Canterlot, even if she wouldn’t ever say it out loud.

“You’re right Spike. C’mon girls,” Twilight said as she turned and led her friends to a carriage waiting at the front of the station. Once they were inside, the carriage took off. The two unicorn guards pulling it sprinted as fast as they could towards Celestia’s Palace.

“Ummm… Twilight?” Fluttershy asked timidly, playing with her tail. “Has princess Celestia said anything about Nightmare Moon since the Celebration? I know what she did was wrong but she looked so… helpless.” The yellow pegasus had said something that had been bothering them all for many nights. The story they had been told didn’t seem to match up with the pony that they had defeated, nor did it explain why she had been so terrified of Celestia.

Twilight looked out, watching the rapidly passing Canterlot scenery. “No… she hasn’t. The truth is, since we’ve returned, the princess hasn’t really had a moment’s rest. Diplomats and representatives from cities all over Equestria have been pouring in and demanding to speak with her.” Her friends frowned, noting Twilight’s somber tone. “B-but I’m sure it’s fine! I mean it is Princess Celestia,” Twilight continued. “I’m sure she’s dealt with much more serious issues. I mean she’s been only ruling for 1,000 years.” Twilight rambled on anxiously with a forced cheerfulness. She wasn’t fooling anypony, but they nodded their heads to calm their friend; they were certain they would find out soon enough what their princess had to say