• Published 30th Oct 2017
  • 6,934 Views, 241 Comments

Sonic Forces: Resistance is Magic - MetalJrock



Flung into another world at war, the Elements join Sonic and the Resistance to fight against the Eggman Empire.

  • ...
13
 241
 6,934

Seaside Hill: The Defense (Vs ?)

Twilight rubbed her head. She was sitting at a table reading through Tails' old books. Knuckles had given it to her when she asked, citing she wanted to learn more about Mobius. Luckily, the Resistance had a few on standby for the event of one of their own wanting to pass time while recovering before a mission.

But learning was only one of the reasons.

The other reason was that whatever Twilight saw in that vision Infinite forced upon her was still messing with her mind. She needed something to divert her attention, even if it was just for a moment. The alicorn used her magic to turn another page, the paper getting enveloped in the purple glow. Her eyes narrowed, doing her best to absorb every written word in her line of sight.

She had to admit it was a fascinating read. She just finished reading about the Guardian Unit of Nations, a government military organization that protected the world. She wondered how they were faring in this war. Twilight had also read a few chapters about the ancient Babylonians, the entities known as Light Gaia and Dark Gaia, and even bits of something called the Ifrit. There was even a book including translations of the aliens known as Wisps, written by Tails himself. She deduced that it helped distribute the Wispons.

Normally, Twilight would want to learn more. But strangely enough, she wasn't in the mood. In a brief fit of disappointment, she slid the book aside with her magic, accidentally letting it slide off the table. A gentle thud was heard when it landed. She groaned and put her head on the table, annoyed that she couldn't focus.

Twilight thought back to what she saw when the red cubes hit her. And it terrified her. She needed to figure out how Infinite managed to do it soon...

"Um, Twilight?"

Raising her head, the alicorn spotted Fluttershy peeking in. "Huh? Oh, come in Fluttershy..." she answered groggily.

The pegasus walked in and sat down next to the alicorn, "Are you okay?" she wondered.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Twilight lied, responding a little too fast.

"Oh, alright. Applejack, Pinkie, Rainbow Dash and Rarity are on separate missions right now." Fluttershy revealed.

"Are they safe?!" Twilight asked worriedly.

Fluttershy raised a brow, "...They are."

The alicorn sighed in relief and muttered, "Thank Celestia..."

"Are you sure you're fine, Twilight?"

Twilight sighed heavily, "Yes. I am completely one hundred percent fine. You and Sonic don't need to worry about me. I'm just tired from having to fight Infinite is all. That's it."

The meek pegasus blinked and said, "If you're sure then. I-I don't want to bother you."

Twilight realized she may have been a bit aggressive in her response and touched her friend's shoulder, "You're not bothering me, Fluttershy. Sorry, it's just... I'm scrambling to find an answer on how Infinite became so powerful and it's starting to stress me out since I've found nothing. I-I just hope you never have to face him." she studdered out. She didn't want to scare Fluttershy when she's most likely already worried about their friends.

Fluttershy nodded at her words. Based on what she heard from Twilight and Sonic, Infinite really wasn't one to be trifled with. She said, "I understand. But you know we're not putting pressure on you to find it, right?"

Twilight blinked. She figured as much. The last thing she wanted was a repeat of what happened with the Sirens. "I know, Fluttershy. I'm trying to not push myself, but the rest of you are busy, and Sonic is the most likely to head out on another mission. It'd be best if I keep looking so we're more prepared in the event one of us sees Infinite."

"Oh, okay." Fluttershy replied. "Where did you find these anyway?"

Twilight said, "Apparently the Resistance kept some of Tails' research around. As nice as it is to have learn all this information, none of it matches up with what we know about Infinite." she held the side of her head. "I hope the others are fine wherever they're at."

Fluttershy nodded in agreement. Maybe they should check with Knuckles and Amy for an update.


Meanwhile at Seaside Hill...

"Get down!"

Rainbow Dash tackled a soldier so they were able to avoid getting blasted by one of the E-2000's. She felt her sides burn, no doubt getting grazed in the crossfire. She stood up and wiped the burn mark, feeling a slight sting with her touch. "You alright, soldier?" she asked.

The wolf nodded, "Y-Yeah, I think so..."

"Awesome. Get to Rarity with a med kit or something, someone else wasn't so lucky." Rainbow said.

The soldier nodded and ran off, leaving Rainbow to duck for cover behind a rock formation. "These robots are a pain in the flank." she said, peeking at what's behind her. A number of robots were aiming their weapons directly at the Resistance. A bear leaped out for just a moment and shot a fireball from his Wispon, destroying one of the E-2000s. "Ugh. How long can these robots keep it up?"

The pegasus hovered next to Rouge, who was flying above the opposition. "Yo, Rouge. How many of these tin cans can you see? Cause it feels like we've been fighting them for hours!"

The bat looked ahead and said, "Still a bit. Should I call Big Red for some backup to wrap it up?"

"Pfft. Nah, I can take them all on!" Rainbow bragged, poking a hoof to her chest. She yelped when a laser barely grazed her mane, surprising her. Rouge rolled her eyes and dropped a bomb at the robot that did the deed, blowing them up. The pegasus chuckled, "Yeah, totally."

Rouge exhaled and landed on the ground. The spy bat pushed a Motobug aside before blowing up an E-20002 with a barrage of bombs. "If you insist." she teased.

Rainbow Dash dove down, leaving her rainbow trail behind her like usual, and rammed a hoof into one of the Egg Pawns, and then began to spin around it so fast she created a mini tornado. She swerved to the side of Rouge's bombs, taking some more bots out. "Yeah, we might have this one in the bag!" Rainbow bragged.

"Maybe. Just be sure your unicorn friend is ready to fight." Rouge spin-kicked back a robot before smashing another to pieces. The bat leaped and drilled down, taking out another drone from above. She smiled, watching as the soldiers pushed foward, destroying more of the robots with ease now that their numbers are draining. She had to admit that these ponies were more capable than she gave credit.

Before Rainbow could speak again, however, she was pushed aside by a mysterious yellow blur. "Ow! What the--?" she muttered, holding her aching head when she hit the rock wall. The cyan pegasus lifted her gaze upwards while she pushed herself back on her hooves. Standing on the grass and staring at her was a black hedgehog, red stripes on top of his raised quills.

"S-Shadow?" Rouge quietly gasped.

"Wait, Shadow? Isn't this the guy who betrayed you?" Rainbow Dash growled. "You're gonna have a lot to answer for by the time I'm through with ya!"

Shadow crossed his arms, "I have my reasons. And they don't concern you." he responded coldly, dashing so that he elbowed the pegasus in the face, launching her away.

"I can't believe you stooped this low, allying yourself with Eggman. We were friends, Shadow!" Rouge pleaded, getting into a fighting stance. She wanted to reach out to her comrade. The fact that the team they once formed was gone saddened her. If she could just reach out to Shadow, it'll be a win.

But Shadow only said, "I don't have friends."

Rouge frowned and decided to kick her former friend, which was blocked with ease. "This isn't you! Help the Resistance, Shadow!"

Then out of nowhere, a rainbow blur shot out from the distance and tackled Shadow, pinning him to the floor. "Alright, Shadow. You think you're so tough?"

"I can ask you the same question." Shadow huffed, driving his foot directly into Rainbow's torso, making her flip in midair. The pegasus got her bearings and dashed towards Shadow, swinging her hoof at his face. The hedgehog moved his head and responded with a well-timed jab to Rainbow's chest, making her gag.

When Rainbow tried to counter, Shadow grabbed her tail and tossed her aside. "You have some nerve for a colorful horse." the black hedgehog taunted. The cyan mare was smacked onto the ground, coughing up grass that fell in her mouth. When she spat the dirt out, she dusted herself off.

"I'm not just some 'colorful horse'! I'm the fastest flyer in all of Equestria!" boasted Rainbow. She unfurled her wings and took off. However, before she could reach Shadow, he suddenly teleported away. "Wha- huh? Where did he go?"

"Look behind you." Rouge suggested as she was nearing her former comrade.

Turning her head, the proud pegasus' demeanor fell when she noticed Shadow standing right behind her. Before she could get attacked, Rouge stepped in and drove the heel of her boot directly onto the tuft of fur on Shadow's chest. "That's enough, Shadow! Why are you even here?" Rouge wondered.

Shadow coughed and slid on the ground, his skates creating a trail of dirt on the grassy pathway, "To make sure your Resistance doesn't foil the doctor's plans."

"This doesn't sound like you, Shadow. Allying yourself with the doctor again? We thought you moved on from wanting destruction." Rouge stated.

Shadow huffed, "Clearly you don't know me then."

Rouge's mouth was agape. Did the team mean nothing? Did everything Shadow endure mean nothing? She couldn't believe what she was hearing from her old friend. "I guess you really are on the wrong side." she clenched her fist, "I'm sorry, Shadow..."

Rainbow zoomed next to the bat, "Yo, what's up?"

The spy sighed and finally said, "We'll have to hold off, Shadow. He's not listening to reason."

"Heh. Maybe I can force him to!" Rainbow said with a light chuckle.

The pegasus crouched down and zipped forward towards Shadow, ready to fight again. "Do you think you can take me on? The Ultimate Life-Form?"

Rainbow huffed, "I used to be called the Element of Loyalty for a reason. At least I'm not some coward who turns traitor against his friends." she spat at the black hedgehog.

"Just shut up and fight." Shadow snapped back. "As if I'm taking anything you say seriously."

"Alright, that's it!" the pegasus shouted, unfurling her wings again.

She rose upwards and dove down, intending to tackle Shadow. However, the Ultimate Life-Form snapped his fingers and next thing the pegasus knew, she was smacked aside when she got close to the ground. "Hmph. All talk and no fight as expected. I guess the doctor and his cronies were going soft on all of you this whole time." the cyan mare groaned as she struggled to push herself up, Shadow stepping on her back.

"That's enough, Shadow!" Rouge pleaded.

"Hmph. As if your words will change this."

Rouge sighed and leaped, kicking the black hedgehog's chest and pushing him off Rainbow's back. The pegasus groaned, her hooves feeling weak as she pushed herself up. The bat spun her body and legs and drove the side of her foot directly onto Shadow's hip, causing him to reel in pain. "Agh!" he grunted, flying through a line of robots, destroying them for the Resistance accidentally.

Shadow got his bearings and activated his hover shoes, thrusting himself back to his opponent. The hedgehog slammed his fist downward in an attempt to hit Rouge in the head. Luckily the bat backed away, causing Shadow to put his fist onto the ground. "Surrender yourself and maybe I'll go easy on you."

"As if!" Rainbow snarled, tackling Shadow.

The black hedgehog dished a right hook to Rainbow's face, and shoved her hooves off his body. The mare growled and drove her hindlegs towards Shadow's torso, knocking the wind out of him. Before she could continue, Shadow teleported again. "Where did you--" her eyes wandered around her surroundings to find her enemy.

She felt something wrap around her throat. Surprised, she turned her gaze and found herself and Rouge in Shadow's grip, where the two launched upwards with him. In an instant, Shadow released his grasp on the two heroes and tossed them. Rainbow managed to unfurl her wings and caught Rouge while in midair, the duo crashing on the ground next to a few soldiers. "Nice save, blue..." Rouge complimented while dusting her arms off.

Rainbow shook the cobwebs out her head and said, "Yeah, it could've been better though."

The soldier closest to them said, "Are you okay, Rouge?"

The bat responded, "I am. Just keep your eyes on the robots."

The soldier nodded. Then he felt tense once he spotted the black hedgehog glaring directly at him and the others, "I-I-Is that... Shadow the Hedgehog?"

"...It is." Rouge sighed. "I don't know how much longer we can keep this up..."

"As much as I hate to admit it... This guy packs a punch."

After a quick pause, Shadow said, "I expected more a challenge. Especially from you, Rouge."

Rouge exhaled, "Please, Shadow. Listen to us... You can still make this right."

"I'm done with hearing your words." Shadow snapped, teleporting across the field and elbowing Rouge's stomach and following up with a roundhouse kick to Rainbow Dash's cranium. The two were pinned to the floor and were unable to get up, "Tell Sonic that I wish to settle our rivalry once and for all. It's about time I faced a real challenge in decimating your Resistance."

Once he was done talking, Shadow vanished and the robots started to head back. "They're... Retreating?" a cat said. All the remaining robots were leaving the battlefield for seemingly no reason. Unless they were under Shadow's control of course.

"Yeah, we did it...!" Rainbow weakly cheered. "He better run!"


Rarity bandaged a soldier's bruised arm. She used her magic to manage each tool as fast as she could. The injured soldiers were currently kept within a large tent near the coast, far enough from the battlefield for the soldiers to rest.

"Oh my..." muttered Rarity. She watched a bear limp inside before collapsing from exhaustion. His comrades went forward and helped him up, "Why thank you." she said.

"No problem." the wolf said. "Hopefully the others are faring better."

"I agree. This battle has gone on for quite a while." the unicorn agreed with a heavy sigh. She peeked outside the tent, able to spot the battle finally ending at last. "Hm. It appears that is the case."

Stepping into the tent was Rouge and Rainbow Dash. "Yo, Rarity. You missed an epic fight." the pegasus bragged, her hooves trembling from exhaustion. "Egh... Man, I need a nap."

"Now isn't the time for your slacking, Rainbow Dash." Rarity said.

"Yeah yeah, I know." the cyan mare grumbled.

Rarity asked, "What happened? It looks like you two are more bruised than expected."

Rouge said, "We found Shadow."

"O-Oh dear..." the unicorn gasped, "I'm terribly sorry to hear that. I assume... your words didn't reach out to him after all?"

Rainbow groaned, "No! He's a huge jerk! This is the same guy who sacrificed himself for his world? I'm starting to find it hard to believe."

"Well, it's true." Rouge replied, "I just don't know what's going on with him now."

Rainbow patted her comrade's back with a wing as Rarity said, "Do not beat yourself up over this, Rouge. I am sure he can change his ways again. Now, perhaps it'd be wise if you had your wounds treated. As much as I don't want to admit it, our work isn't done yet."

"Darn right," Rainbow said.

"I'll tell the Commander the news." Rouge said, still slightly irked that Knuckles made himself commander. She put a finger to the communicator in her ear and said, "Rouge to Resistance. Come in."

"We hear ya, Rouge." Knuckles said, "What's the sitrep?"

"Seaside Hill is cleared of Eggman's forces. Unfortunately we had a little run in with Shadow." the bat replied.

"Shadow?" Amy asked.

Fluttershy said, “T-The hedgehog?”

"Yeah! He came looking for a fight and everything!" Rainbow added, joining the conversation. "He said he wants to face Sonic himself."

"Of course." Knuckles replied, "Actually it's perfect timing because Omega Squad just came back with awesome news. We found Omega!"

A wide grin appeared on Rouge's face and she slyly said. "Really? Oh Red, if I could kiss you from here, I would! That's awesome news."

Knuckles stammered and cleared his throat. Rarity could just feel him blushing from where she's at and giggled at the mental image. "Well, uh... Good to know. Return to the HQ immediately." he said, his voice suddenly dropping a few octaves.

"Heh." Rainbow chuckled.

Rarity smirked, "Well, it appears our work here is done. Once we clean up. It'd be wise to head back."

"Heck yeah. I want to rest so I can give Shadow a piece of my mind!" Rainbow said.

With the battle done, the team did what they had to do and set our back to their headquarters to await their next mission and so Rouge could reunite with Omega at last. Maybe things will turn out for the better.

Author's Note:

The Resistance: 30%
Eggman Empire: 70%

And with that, the Battle of Seaside Hill is done. Maybe Shadow will get that rematch he wants in due time.

Next Time: Buddy and Pinkie Pie investigate the sudden appearance of life signals in the Mystic Jungle.

What the Resistance doesn’t know is that Tails, Spike and Classic Sonic are the very people they’re looking for, following the only lead they have to finding their friends.