• Published 30th Oct 2017
  • 6,922 Views, 241 Comments

Sonic Forces: Resistance is Magic - MetalJrock



Flung into another world at war, the Elements join Sonic and the Resistance to fight against the Eggman Empire.

  • ...
13
 241
 6,922

Green Hill: Guardian Rock (Vs Zavok)

“Look out!”

Using her magic, Twilight lifted Vector, Charmy, Buddy and Pinkie and softly tossed them while jumping for cover away from the giant crab robot’s leg that was about to stomp on them. The four magic lifted heroes fell on their faces and picked themselves up, “That was fun!” Charmy said.

Vector sighed, “There was nothin’ fun about that at all!” Buddy nodded in agreement to that.

They arrived at the Guardian Rock, the border between Green Hill and the Marble ruins. It was the most overtaken part of the region by Dr. Eggman as evident by the metal surfaces and the factories that could be spotted close by from where they were at.

“Hm. It appears that I will have to try again.” a sinister voice said. Looking up, the heroes saw a red being standing atop the giant robot, “Very well, the Death Crab will kill you yet.”

“Who the heck are ya?” Vector asked.

“I am Zavok, the last name you will ever hear.” Zavok introduced.

“Oh, so you’re Zavok!” Pinkie realized, “I dunno, I expected someone more sinister looking!”

Zavok growled, “I’ll kill you first for that childish remark, pink one.”

Buddy gritted his teeth at those words. His serious demeanor faded once another one of the Death Crab’s legs started to lower. The wolf pushed everyone out of the way and rolled himself to safety, “Okay, so all we have to do is keep Zavok busy and remove the Death Crab from the equation…” Twilight noticed.

“Okey dokey, Twi!” Pinkie said.

Buddy agreed and pointed ahead to one of the factory rooms Eggman made. Vector crossed his arms, “Ah, I see what yer planning, Rookie. You wanna make some more noise!”

“Then let’s do it!” Charmy cheered.

The group ran on the dry grass, Twilight observing how this natural region could be abused so cruelly. She feared that this would be the fate of Equestria should the Eggman Empire somehow win, but she knows they can’t let that happen no matter how much those visions try to tell her she can’t. Buddy took notice of Twilight’s expressions and gestured to her, the alicorn shaking her head, “I’m fine, Buddy. Just… thinking about what Eggman did to this region…” she half lied, looking at the sand falling in place of water, “I assume Green Hill wasn’t a desert before all this.”

Vector replied, “Nope. It’s just another thing Eggman decided to do because he hates nature.”

At that moment, a giant worm jumped out of the sand for a moment before diving back in, earning a yelp from Twilight. Charmy said, “That definitely wasn’t there before, haha! It’s pretty cool seeing one up close!” he lightly chuckled. The ponies had to ask Sonic about those worms once they regrouped, as did Buddy.

“Fluttershy could tame one of those if she were here!” Pinkie noticed, “Aw, we should’ve brought her with us.”

The group reached the peak of the hill as Twilight said, “I think we can suffice as is, Pinkie. The five of us are enough to put a stop to Zavok.” she stopped, observing a capsule with a Red Wisp, “This must be one of the Wisps.” she looked at Buddy’s Wispon, “Oh, it looks like your Wispon isn’t compatible with it. Sorry, little guy.”

Charmy crossed his arms, “Actually, you can still use them. Sonic said he did it plenty of times before Wispons were even invented!”

“Uh, okay…” Twilight said in an uneasy tone. She touched the capsule and freed the fire-shaped alien. The Wisp closed its eyes happily and suddenly vanished once it made contact with Twilight. Before she could even react, she turned into a ball of fire, activating its Burst power. Buddy was the first to follow before everyone else did.

The alicorn turned fireball began to ascend to a hire platform, making small leaps in midair in order to do so. It was clear she was learning how to use the Wisp’s power. To catch up with her, Charmy started flapping his wings, carrying Pinkie and Vector underneath him. Buddy leaped on small rock formations by himself in order to reach the higher grass platform. Once they did, the fireball touched the floor and turned back to Twilight, who was panting while the Wisp left her system. She sighed and muttered, “I never want to do that again…”

“But that was so cool! I want a Wisp!” Pinkie said. “I haven’t seen you burn up like that since you couldn’t figure out the Doozy!”

Vector said, “They aren’t toys, Pinkie. But if one lets ya use their powers then feel free. And what the heck is a Doozy?”

“...How does Sonic do that?” Twilight muttered, ignoring the question, “Wisps are curious creatures for sure…”

Answering the question, Pinkie said, “It’s part of my Pinkie Sense! It allows me to sense a lot of things, and it predicted that Twilight would accept that my Pinkie Sense wasn’t scientifically possible!” her tail started twitching, “Oh, and it’s predicting that something is gonna fall on us right now!”

Buddy gazed upwards, a giant shadow looming over them. He gestured for his friends to move and they did, narrowly missing the Death Crab’s legs once again. Zavok could be heard grunting, “I’ll be sure to get you yet!”

“Yeah, I doubt it.” Charmy said.

Twilight snapped out of her brief reverie and added, “We’re safer inside that factory!” they ran ahead, but the door closed as they neared it, leaving them unable to enter. “Darn it!” she tried using her magic to no avail, her horn glowing with a purple aura, “How is this door so sealed?” as she continued, Vector attempted to pry it open with his hands.

Buddy looked at his Drill Wispon, an idea dawning on him. He noticed a bright lightbulb over his head, thanks to Pinkie Pie holding it there, “Hey, everyone! Buddy’s gonna try something!”

The alicorn and crocodile stood back, allowing Buddy room. The wolf held back his Wispon and charged it, a yellow aura covering his arm. In an instant he dashed forward and broke right through the metal door, destroying some Egg Pawns that were standing around guarding it in the process. His Wispon calmed down and he stopped, panting from how swift his movements were during that.

Vector crossed his arms while walking into the dark room, “Not bad, Rookie. Now that we’re in here, it’s time to cause some mayhem!”

“Yeah!” Charmy agreed.

All around them were Badniks of various kinds, from the simple Egg Pawns to Motobugs to Falcos and more that guarded the factory. They knew that there was only one way to pass through.

Motobugs started to swarm the heroes, but Twilight pushed them all back with a spell, flipping one over and causing another Motobug to crash into it. Newtrons started to appear from the shadows and launched themselves at the group, but Pinkie pulled out a hammer from nowhere and swung them away and making them hit the wall. “Booyah!” she shouted. She swung the hammer downwards and took out another Newtron in the process, making it hit the ground with a loud thud.

Vector punched a Penguinator before stomping on a Newtron himself. The crocodile headbutted an Egg Pawn, grabbing the hammer in its hand and throwing it aside. “That’s enough outta ya! Hey, Charmy!” he called to the bee and opening his palm. Charmy curled into a ball and Vector grabbed him, throwing him so that he hit one of the Falcos. The bee uncurled and yelped, nearly getting blasted by another Falco. Charmy then used his stinger to move right through the flying robot.

Pinkie took notice of a strangely designed Egg Pawn that was dressed like a wizard, “Whoa, did this one go through Trixie’s wardrobe?” The Egg Bishop waved its staff and all the damaged but not destroyed robots were back to their restored state, “Yikes! They have magic!”

“How do they have magic?” Twilight gasped.

Vector growled, “I remember them. No idea how they can do that.”

Buddy gritted his teeth and charged his Drill Wispon. In the blink of an eye, he darted right through the Egg Bishop among the restored robots, clearing the hallway for his friends. Vector said, “Could’a done that earlier, Rookie. But better late than never.”

They walked into a larger lab to investigate and witnessed something strange. There were Wisps placed inside of a capsule, but they weren’t like ordinary Wisps. Instead, they were violet and round, almost shaped like a vortex of some kind. “What is this place?” Twilight asked.

“It looks like one’a Eggman’s experimentation labs.” Vector deduced, “And from the looks of it, the subjects were Wisps.”

Pinkie propped her head on the capsule and got a closer look at the purple Wisps, “But why would Eggman want to hurt these nice creatures? They’re so friendly! And they look so… angry.”

“Sonic said Eggman experimented on them once for an old plan.” Charmy revealed. As he said this Vector logged into a computer.

“Ah ha! The doc’s doin’ this to recreate the Wispons our soldiers are usin’. The Wisps aren’t cooperating so he decided to get them on his side through any means necessary. This is messed up!” Vector exclaimed.

“...Once we stop Zavok we’ll free them. They don’t deserve this.” Twilight replied, “I didn’t think Eggman could sound more cruel than he already is, but it keeps happening.”

Vector patted Twilight’s head, “And we’ll make sure he’ll pay for his cruel acts.”

“Yeah!” Pinkie agreed.

The heroes left the lab, intending to come back to free the violet Wisps. The group then wandered the hallway and reached the outdoors once more, noticing that they were moving ever closer to the desert and Sombra’s former prison pyramids, evident by the barbed wire and fences. The one thing that caught Twilight’s attention though was that despite them being outside, the ground still felt metallic and whatever water was there was dark green sludge. Pinkie asked, “Wait a minute, we’re outside. Why doesn’t the grass feel like grass?”

Twilight raised a brow, wondering that herself. She used her magic to activate her comms so they could get some insight, “Tails, do you read?”

“Yeah. What’s up, Twilight?”

“We’re in Guardian Rock, but we reached a part of the region that’s more corrupted than usual. Instead of just sand and factories, now the grass is roboticized and the water is polluted. Did you notice that when you were here last time?”

Tails explained, “Oh, you must be in Mecha Green Hill as Sonic and I called it. We wandered through there as kids while foiling another one of Eggman’s schemes. As sad as it is, Eggman already corrupted that area long before this war even began and it hasn’t recovered.”

Vector said, “Well that stinks. Figuratively and literally.”

Buddy held his nose and gagged, the polluted scent in the air catching up to him. Tails added, “I’ll talk to Sonic and see if we can use the Chaos Emeralds to reverse what Eggman did to that area once we win the war. He said that they restored nature the first time he used them so it’s worth a shot.”

“If we win the war…” Twilight muttered under her breath.

“What was that?” Tails asked.

Twilight stammered, “Oh uh, good idea, Tails. We’ll update you if we notice anything else.”

With the call done, Buddy pointed ahead, noticing the desert vanish in favor of toxic sludge, “We better not swim in that.” Pinkie advised, “I prefer natural lakes.”

“I think we all do, Pinks.” Vector added.

The heroes started their trek through Mecha Green Hill, looking over how bad it was compared to the recently conquered areas, “Is it bad to say that this looks worse than the City?” Charmy wondered. Buddy shook his head, agreeing with that statement.

Twilight said, “I just don’t understand why only this area got it worse than the rest of Green Hill.”

“Eggman’s not one to make sense, Twi.” Vector admitted, “This may have been just a scare tactic.”

“A scare tactic? This?” Twilight countered.

Charmy added, “We already established that he’s an A-grade meanie. This just makes us right.”

“Oh does it now?”

Once they heard that voice, the ground shook. Then it shook again. The heroes turned around and found Zavok standing on his towering Death Crab. He made a gesture and suddenly a swarm of robots appeared around him. Pinkie gulped and shouted, “RUN!”

Twilight flew over the group intending to lower the number of aeriel robots. She shot a beam at one and yelled out, “Charmy!” the bee flew to the alicorn’s vicinity and she continued, “Can you help me with this?”

“You got it, princess!” Charmy saluted.

Buddy led the ground-trekking heroes to safety, and spotted a hijacked GUN Hunter standing before them. The wolf charged his Drill Wispon, but as he did, the robot shot at his hand and made him drop said weapon. He rubbed his sore wrist. Unfortunately, one of the Death Crab’s legs was about to stomp on him so he was unable to grab his Wispon in time. The wolf rolled out of the way and sighed, wondering how he was going to contribute now.

Vector headbutted the GUN Hunter and made it explode. A Bomb Beetle appeared overhead and nearly bombarded the heroes, them dodging out of the way. “Hey, Pinks. Wanna try out a power move?” Vector asked the pink pony.

“You bet!”

The crocodile picked up Pinkie Pie and flung her up in the air. Pinkie flipped so that her hooves were extended outwards, allowing her to push directly through the robot. She bounced off another Bomb Beetle and kicked it downwards, causing it to fall and melt in the toxic sludge below. “Whoa! It’s even worse than I thought!” she commented. The pink pony landed atop of a Buzz Bomber and pushed her hindlegs on it, dropping it onto the metal grass. As she fell, Twilight used her magic to hold Pinkie who noticed she was flying in a different direction and asked, “Ooh, going after the big boss of this place? Can I help you?”

Twilight said, “Sure. Just be careful.”

Twilight decided to focus her attention on Zavok, who was coordinating each robot’s strikes and left Charmy to stop whatever remained in the air. She flew down and charged a blast at the Zeti, who merely smacked it away, “It’s going to take more than that to make me falter, princess.” he mocked. The three were now standing on top of the moving Death Crab.

The Zeti shoulder-charged after the alicorn, who created a barrier to protect herself and Pinkie from him. Zavok grunted and punched it, making the field crack ever so slightly. Twilight stopped her spell, only to blast Zavok back with a beam. The Zeti yelled as he took a few steps back to shake off the energy as much as he could, “You’ll regret that.”

He stomped his foot, creating a shockwave. Pinkie jumped over said shockwave and vanished, reappearing behind Zavok, “So why do all big bad guys like you have a shockwave attack anyway?

“Annoying child.” Zavok said as he tried to grab Pinkie, who suddenly vanished again without a trace. While he was distracted, Twilight hit him with the scraps of some destroyed robots. The Zeti snarled and was pushed onto the surface of the robot due to the onslaught of debris being pelted at him.

Zavok said, “Do you really not value your lives?”

He charged forward and grabbed Pinkie by the throat, leaping and slamming her onto the floor. “Both of you shall before my might.”

Twilight hissed and shot a stronger beam than last time, sending electric volts down his body. The Zeti let go of Pinkie, who bonked him on the head with one of her forehooves. “Nice one, Twi!” she said, while said alicorn wondered how long she could protect her friends like that. She feared now more than ever, but hid it.

Zavok shook his body and dropped his hands down, creating another shockwave. Twilight created a barrier to protect them again, this time it shattered and the two were launched upward slightly. The alicorn used her magic to lift Pinkie back onto the robot. “You okay, Pinkie?” the earth pony nodded, “Great to hear.”

Back on the ground, Vector and Charmy started to work in unison again. Charmy Spin-Dashed right through an Egg Bishop before it could heal any of the other robots, while in his ball form, Vector grabbed him and slammed down on the ground, creating a shockwave that made all the robots in the vicinity tremble. “Aw right!” Vector cheered, grabbing Buddy so that they moved away from the moving Death Crab once more.

Charmy flew upwards and pierced right through a few Buzz Bombers with his stinger. He descended to aid Vector, who punched through a GUN Trooper. The crocodile grunted, “How many bots does this red guy have?”

“Way too many!” Charmy whined.

And during this fight, all Buddy could do was watch. He watched Vector and Charmy fight the robots. He watched Pinkie and Twilight fight Zavok. And he ran from the Death Crab when it came close. And he wondered why he felt so differently now, he was able to fight before, especially with all the Wispons he had utilized.

Then it dawned on him. Buddy had been using the Wispons, and he had little idea on how to fight without one. He had his grapple, but he hadn’t mastered the Spin-Jump like Sonic or Tails could, he couldn’t Spin-Dash or Boost or use magic or fly or anything beyond running really fast. He wondered how he could contribute to this fight without the thing that got him so far in the first place.

“Hey, Buddy, ya gonna do something?” Vector asked. Buddy pointed at himself and shook his head.

Charmy said, “Come on, dude! Don’t back down now!”

Back on top of the Death Crab, Zavok had both Twilight and Pinkie pinned down. “No more tricks can save you now, equines. Once I kill you, I’m going after the blue rat and all your friends.”

“No… you… won’t!” Twilight snarled, her horn blasting out a purple laser that hit Zavok directly in the eyes. The Zeti was now temporarily blinded and held his eyes, releasing Pinkie and Twilight. The pink pony kicked down the Phantom Zeti and made him fall of the Death Crab. Zavok fell into the toxic sludge below, turning into those familiar purple cubes.

“No…!” Zavok shouted as he faded away.

Pinkie looked down and said, “Isn’t the robot supposed to stop?”

“I thought so too! Wah!” Twilight screamed. “I-I don’t know what to do from here!”

The Death Crab continued its rampage, leaving the heroes confused. Vector said, “Aw crud!”

“We can’t let it get to the Chemical Plant!” Twilight reminded them.

Buddy looked at his surroundings and an idea dawned on him. He looked at Vector and Charmy and nodded, “You’re gonna try something? Awesome!” the bee said.

The wolf started to run away from the Death Crab, it picking up the ground as it moved. Twilight and Pinkie tried to dismantle it from the top to seemingly no avail. While on the ground, Buddy moved left and right from the picked up metal ground that kept nearing him. His Quick-Step was finally being put to good use. He was outpacing the robot at a good speed too, finding a good vantage point to work with.

Finally he jumped and used his grapple, swinging around so that the rope tied around each of the Death Crab’s legs, causing it to stumble and trip. Twilight used a teleportation to warp her and Pinkie to safety back with Vector and Charmy, grabbing Buddy’s Wispon in the process. Buddy used his grapple to give himself a speed boost and move away from the head of the robot before it could crush him.

Once it fell, Buddy stopped to catch his breath. His hands were on his knees and panted. He looked at the broken body of the Death Crab, and for a moment felt pride. He accomplished something, and although this wasn’t on the caliber of fighting Infinite even he knew that this was a good step to becoming a better soldier.

“Buddy!”

Pinkie bounced to her wolf friend, “That was so cool!”

“The way you stopped that robot was awesome! I wish we had wrist grapples like that!” Charmy complimented.

Vector patted Buddy on the back, “You saved us a lot of trouble, kid. Your mind’s as fast as your feet.”

Twilight nodded and used her magic to lift the Drill Wispon back into Buddy’s hands, “Here you go, Buddy.” the wolf proudly held the weapon over his head like a trophy, “I’m glad you were able to come up with something, my magic wasn’t working on it no matter how much I tried. I’m starting to think Eggman finally managed to account for us too.”

“I’m surprised it took him this long. The doc workin’ with your enemies should’a clued him in to do that before you showed up.” Vector said.

Pinkie said, “Well at the very least we can still fight despite that. We just have to fight harder than before!”

Twilight managed a smile, “You’re right, Pinkie. Now we should tell Sonic and Starlight it’s safe to head out while we clear the Wisp lab.”

“Good thinking.” Vector said.

The heroes trekked back to the lab. As they did, Buddy’s thoughts ran rampant. He was starting to wonder if he was slowly getting better at the whole ‘hero’ thing. He laughed inwardly, deciding that wasn’t true, and that he just lucky. He glanced at his Wispon and realized that although it came in handy and was necessary for the war considering what they were up against, he had plenty of other skills to rely on should he not have one in hand.

And that realization gave him a much needed confidence boost.

Author's Note:

The Resistance: 51%
Eggman Empire: 49%

So I decided to add a bit of Mecha Green Hill since that area looks worse than the sand filled deserts the rest of the region became.

And I explained the Void Wisps’ presence since all of the corrupted Wisps were turned back to normal before this game. The Void Wispon is the next weapon I intend for Buddy to use.

Next Time: Sonic and Starlight Glimmer must infiltrate the Chemical Plant’s Network Terminal in order to lower the Death Egg’s defense systems.