• Published 1st Apr 2017
  • 1,111 Views, 212 Comments

Quiververse Bonus Reel - EchoWing



All sorts of things go on behind the scenes of a story. Here's a glimpse of what happened during work on the Quiververse.

  • ...
1
 212
 1,111

Vignette Ten - A Canterlot Wedding

An optimistic smile was on Applejack’s muzzle as she watched the mare before her thoughtfully chew the pastry in her mouth. It brightened as the mare took hold of a second one with her magic and swiftly ate it as well with gusto. “Twilight’s letters weren’t kidding, Applejack! These are delicious!”

The farmmare managed a nervous laugh. “Right kind a’ya to say, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza.”

“Only because it’s the truth.” The princess smiled back gently. “And please, just ‘Cadance’ is fine.”

“Alright, Cadance.” Applejack turned to Twilight as the unicorn made another mark on her checklist. “Ah know Ah’ve said it already Twi, but Ah’m sorry for not listenin’ to ya earlier. Somethin’ tells me you’ll be hearin’ that a lot for a while.”

“Well, don’t be too hard on yourselves.” Twilight bowed her head in slight shame as she admitted, “Even I was fooled.” She turned to Cadance as she admitted, “You being kidnapped and replaced never even occurred to me. It’s going to be a while before I can get past thinking that you’d changed for the worst.”

Cadance came over and took her former charge into a warm hug. “Don’t beat yourself up too much, Twilight. Based on the information you had, me getting replaced by the queen of the changelings was probably one of the less likely possibilities. Still, we all made mistakes while all of this was going down, including me. I’m the one who got captured and replaced, remember?” That eased the mare’s mood before she continued, “In any case, it’s thanks to you that we’re all safe, and I can finally do what I’ve wanted to do for years.” At Twilight’s worried expression, she explained with a smile, “Call you family. And have it be official.”

Twilight broke out into a big smile and took her sister-in-law-to-be into a tight hug, while also thanking the heavens above that nopony was present who’d make some sick joke. “Me too! I mean, you and Shining are so perfect for one another! And after so many years of helping to spread love, it’s about time you had a little for yourself!”

Cadance giggled softly as she hugged the young mare in return. “Twilight, I’ve never been lacking for love in my life. I’ve had it ever since I can remember, even if I didn’t have as close a family as most ponies did.” She smiled sadly as she admitted, “But it will be nice to finally have a mother and father in my life, in-laws or not.”

Applejack shared the alicorn’s sad smile before it turned into a frown. “That reminds me’a somethin’. You spreadin’ love with your magic, Cadance. You wanna elaborate on that? Ah mean, you ain’t manipulatin’ emotions and forcin’ folks to fall in love with one another, are ya?”

“No, definitely not.” The princess’s tone became one of disgust as she explained, “My magic can’t create feelings of love in anypony, or anything, and it certainly can’t coerce anyone. The most I can do is encourage what’s already there, and even that is skirting a dangerous line.” She turned shameful as she admitted, “One that, sadly, I crossed from time to time when I was younger. I still remember the scolding Aunt Celie gave me for doing that once while looking after Twilight.”

“And given everything that’s happened, I think you might be able to see why I did that.” Heads turned to the door to find Princess Celestia standing outside the kitchen. “I’m sorry for interrupting, and for sounding so cross over that. That’s the last thing you need right now. Cadance, may I borrow your wedding planner for a moment?”

“Of course, Auntie.” Cadance beckoned Twilight onwards with a smile. “Don’t worry, I’m not going anywhere this time.”

Twilight smiled, then stepped outside and followed her mentor as she made her way to a secluded section of the halls.

Applejack’s expression turned sheepish as Cadance turned her attention back to her. “Now, if’n you don’t mind my askin’, how close of an aunt is Princess Celestia to you? Ah mean, she and Princess Luna ain’t currently married, and Equestria would know if’n they had siblings.”

A sad smile crossed Cadance’s face. “It’s a long story.”

-

“I fear that you’re going to be hearing this quite often from me and many others in the near-future, Twilight, but it needs to be said. I’m sorry for not listening to you.” Celestia bowed her head as she turned to face her student. “As much as I was fully aware of the threat to Canterlot, it never occurred to me that the enemy might already be in the gates. And it should have. It’s just the sort of trick Chrysalis would perform.”

Twilight tilted her head in confusion. “Chrysalis?”

“The Queen of the Changeling Hive. I have the great misfortune to say that she and I have history. I thought she and her kind were dealt with the last time I faced them, but clearly, I was wrong.” She looked out a window to the city below and noted, “Canterlot will recover, but it might be some time yet.” She turned back to Twilight and amended, “For now, I can just hope that you’ll accept my apology, and my praise.”

Twilight offered a smile. “Of course. Nothing that happened to Cadance was your fault, and with the wedding, well, I can understand you thinking that she was just under pressure.”

“Perhaps, but her somehow convincing Shining Armor to hold off on telling you about the engagement should have been a dead giveaway. But once you saw her, you knew that something was off. Today’s victory was as much yours as it was theirs, and I think we both learned a valuable lesson today. That we should trust our instincts when they tell us something is wrong…” She extended a wing and wrapped it around Twilight in a hug. “…And that I should listen more to my faithful student, otherwise I could be in even worse trouble.” Twilight gently hugged her back before Celestia beckoned her. “Now go on. You still have a wedding to finish planning.”

Twilight did as she was told and moved back to Cadance’s side as a Guardspony approached the princess to offer a salute. “Your Highness.”

“General Tomahawk. What have you to report?”

“So far as we’ve been able to ascertain, the changelings have been driven from Canterlot. Whatever Colonel Shining Armor and Princess Cadenza did, it’s sent them flying clear to the Badlands. Perhaps even further.”

Celestia nodded. “I almost hope for their sake that they don’t get as far as Abyssinia. They aren’t particularly welcome there after what Chrysalis did during Queen Katrina’s reign. And casualties?”

“Light, thankfully. A few minor injuries, but nothing worse than a broken bone here and there.”

The alicorn’s expression soured. “I mean for both sides, Colonel.”

The soldier nodded. “Apologies, ma’am. We’ve recovered the corpses of many of the changelings that were part of the invasion. We’re still counting, but the last talley I had was past four hundred. I expect that will climb as time goes on. Regardless, I’d recommend that we have somepony make absolutely certain there aren’t more acting within Equestria’s borders, and that something like this doesn’t repeat.” He scowled slightly. “As I understand it, there already should have been somepony doing exactly that.”

Celestia’s scowl matched his own. “Indeed. I’m going to have a number of talks with Minister Blacklight regarding today’s events. This is exactly the sort of thing that the organization he oversees was meant to prevent.” And not the last time that SMILE had fumbled in recent memory, the princess considered to herself bitterly. “For the time being, have our sentries and border patrols be placed on high alert in case anything happens. Also, I’d like the names of those Guardsponies who alerted us to the threat, as well as those who lasted the longest. The wedding will go some way towards easing the population’s concerns, but an award ceremony won’t hurt either.”

“I’ll have their names to you within the hour, ma’am.”

“Very well. Dismissed.” As the general departed, Celestia found herself quietly hoping that the next major threat to Equestria would take its time. Given how much had happened since her sister’s return however, that seemed a faint hope at best. Perhaps it was time she took some steps to ensure greater security for her subjects. One high-risk idea came to mind, but preparations needed to be made first, and even then, there was no guarantee that it would work.

Still, desperate times often called for desperate measures.

Author's Note:

I'd hoped to get this one out in February (or at least a February) but circumstances are against me, so here we are.

A Canterlot Wedding is fondly remembered by the fandom for being the introduction to one of the more entertaining villains of the series (and one who's actually stayed a villain rather than reforming). That being said, there were minor issues with it - the hints of Cadance's casual attitude towards mind-altering magic being one, and the lack of a proper apology from Celestia towards Twilight being another...not to mention Shining Armor neglecting to tell Twilight that he was getting married to her old foalsitter and surrogate big sister. This was meant to address all of them, as well as hint at things to come in my works and help to provide an explanation behind why another evil was let out of its can.