• Published 1st Apr 2017
  • 1,110 Views, 212 Comments

Quiververse Bonus Reel - EchoWing



All sorts of things go on behind the scenes of a story. Here's a glimpse of what happened during work on the Quiververse.

  • ...
1
 212
 1,110

Vignette Eighteen - Scars of the Quill

Rainbow Dash was not looking forward to this. Facing down dragons and monsters and Discord and whatever else came her way? Fine. Death-defying stunts that only the most awesome of awesome pegasi could pull off? No problem. But this? This was in a whole other league of trouble.

She groaned as she rapped against the door before her with her hoof. Nothing to do but get it over with.

The door opened, and a pegasus mare who didn’t quite look her age barely laid eyes upon her guest before she broke out in the most ecstatic grin a pony could have and not be Pinkie Pie. “Dashie!”

“Hi Mom. I…YIPE!”

Windy Whistles hardly waited for her daughter to finish her statement before embracing her and pulling her into the house. Rainbow Dash briefly spun about before righting herself as her mother closed the door and called out, “Bow! Honey! Company!”

“I’m coming, m’love, I’m…” The stallion of the household came into view, and whooped and hollered in joy as he laid eyes on his daughter. “Dashie!”

“Hey Dad, I…Oooh!” Rainbow Dash had the wind knocked out of her as her father took her into a tight embrace, and barely recovered it enough to wheeze, “Good to see you!”

“Great to see you too!” Bow Hothoof released his daughter. “What brings you by? And why didn’t you tell us you were coming? We could’ve had lunch ready for you!”

“Oh that’s no big deal, Bow, we can go out for…”

“Mom, Dad, please!” Dash’s sudden shouting caught both her parents’ attention as she explained, “I’ve got something really important that I need to talk with you about! Both of you!”

Both of her parents suddenly sobered up at their daughters’ words, and quickly found seats. “Of course, Dashie.” Bow himself seemed worried as he asked, “What’s the matter?”

Rainbow Dash took a deep breath as she sat down in front of her parents. “Okay, first off, before either of you start getting worried. I haven’t suddenly caught some incurable disease or suddenly found out that I only have a few days left to live or something.” Her parents turned visibly relieved at that. “Also, I’m not pregnant, I’m not getting married, and I haven’t suddenly decided that I’m a lesbian or something.”

Her father slumped with relief. “Well, I’m glad to hear all of that.” He raised a hoof to amend, “Of course, you being a lesbian wouldn’t be a bad thing at all.”

Windy shook her head. “Oh, certainly not, though I think we would’ve figured that out already.”

“I dunno, honey, sometimes it’s hard to tell.” At the expression on his daughter’s face, Bow decided against pursuing that argument before he stuck his hoof in his mouth any further. “So why are you here, Dashie?”

“I…actually came to say that I was sorry. To both of you.” At her parents’ stunned expressions, Rainbow Dash explained, “For…not appreciating you, as much as I should.”

Bow gave his daughter an incredulous look and asked, “Dashie, are you sure you haven’t caught a bug or something?”

Windy wrapped a wing around her husband and chided, “Bow, let her explain herself.”

“Thanks Mom.” Dash collected herself, then continued, “Growing up, you two were behind me all the way. Every competition, every sporting event, every little thing, you cheered me on. And that’s awesome, but there’s times were it felt like you went over the top with it. I mean, it felt a little awkward having you guys cheer for me like I’d come in first place when all I got was a participation trophy, and you cranked it up past eleven after I actually started winning real awards.” She bowed her head as she admitted, “It started getting a little embarrassing after a while.”

Now feeling a little worried, Windy chimed in, “We were only trying to be supportive, dear.”

“Yeah, and I don’t mind that. You being supportive is awesome, and I wouldn’t be the pony I am today without you two.” She shrugged and grinned. “Heck, I wouldn’t exist without the two of you, obviously.” That got a laugh out of her parents. “It just felt like too much after a bit is all. But something happened lately, and it got me thinking about things and, well, I felt like I had to come here and get that off my back.” She slumped again. “So yeah. Sorry. For not being as good a daughter as I could be.”

Rainbow Dash knew her parents pretty well, or at least felt that she did. Guessing their reactions wasn’t difficult, and so she knew they wouldn’t be angry with her. Maybe she’d get a tight bearhug or something, but definitely not yelling and rage.

The actual reaction was more sedate than she expected, however, as both her parents approached and took her into a warm embrace. “You’re an amazing daughter, Dashie. Don’t you ever think otherwise.” The hug loosened as Bow admitted, “And tell you the truth, maybe we did go overboard with the support.”

“Not that we could help it. You were our miracle, after all.”

That caught Rainbow Dash by surprise. “Miracle?”

Bow blushed. “Well Dashie, your old stallion tends to shoot blanks.”

Windy had a similar expression. “And your mother needed a little extra help when she was carrying you.” She sighed sadly and admitted, “It’s a big reason why you never had a little brother or sister.”

“Or a cousin, for that matter.” Her father turned sheepish as he admitted, “We had a lot of help where you were concerned, Dashie, and we’re glad for every bit of it. Something you might want to keep in mind if you ever want a family of your own.” He then tried to turn the conversation to something a little less personal. “So what brought this on exactly? Can’t be one of those crazy adventures you’ve had saving Equestria, or you’d have been here sooner.”

“It’s not.” Now Dash turned sheepish as she admitted, “I made this friend recently, and a little bit ago, he told me about his family situation. Short version, his dad isn’t exactly Father of the Year material. My friend’s doing better, but when I can tell he’s got deep scars, well, there’s a problem.”

“Well good thing for him that he’s got friends like you and Fluttershy and those mares you save the world with, huh?”

Dash grinned at her father’s enthusiasm. “Yeah.” She made a preemptive groan and added, “And before either of you ask, he’s already got a marefriend. And that kinda brings me to the other thing I wanted to talk with you guys about.” At her parents’ curious expressions, she asked, “You remember me wanting to be a Wonderbolt when I was little?”

Bow and Windy gasped so deep, it almost felt like all the air had been drained from the house. An impressive feat, considering they lived in Cloudsdale. “You’re in the Wonderbolts?!”

“No! Not yet!” Dash grinned. “But I’m gonna be. Been studying up for the exam to get into the reserves.”

Her dad gave her the biggest hug that he could as tears formed in his eyes. “Dang right you will.”

Rainbow Dash sighed as her mother joined in on the hug. Some things, she was just going to have to live with.

Author's Note:

Let me make things clear - I don't dislike the episode Parental Glidance. Bow Hothoof and Windy Whistles clearly love Rainbow Dash, and it's pretty dang obvious that they're proud of her. The conflict of the episode, however, is something that could have been avoided if Rainbow Dash had just sat down and talked things over with her parents...at least, in theory. Dashie herself can be a little dense sometimes, and I imagine she inherited it from her parents. Lord knows I've inherited some unpleasant traits from my folks.

In any case, hearing Quiver's story might've gotten Dash to think about the situation with her own folks, and encouraged her to try and clear the air. Plus this lets me plug a gap or two, and help build up to the Quiververse equivalent events to Testing, Testing 1-2-3.