• Published 18th Mar 2017
  • 7,194 Views, 169 Comments

Death's Claw - Hunter Redflame



Honestly? It could be much worse. Sure, I'm in medieval Equestria before Discord took over. And yeah, I'll probably never see my family again until the End Days... But at least Deathclaws are apparently Holy... Somehow.

  • ...
21
 169
 7,194

Chapter 5: Why We Don't Make the Healer Mad [EDITED]

Chapter 5: Why We Don't Make the Healer Mad

(\PoV: Third Person/)

The clearing was littered with small ice spikes and puddles of water, as well as feathers and not a few streaks of blood scattered about... But the more important details here are the beings still within said clearing. There were four pegasi, all in very light armor of a Roman-esque motif and-"Alright you damn stickhead bitch, you had your last bucking shot!" ...And most assuredly, stallions.

These four ruffians are Pegasi Raiders, pegasi that decided to tell their kind's more honor-bound culture to go buck itself and sold themselves as unscrupulous mercenaries. In short: bandits. All four pegasi had seen better days, as the various cuts in both armor and skin, (not to mention several missing feathers,) attested. The seeming leader of the group grinned predatorially. "Now either we get our fun and your stuff AND our little payday behind ya, or you die, Hawk has fun with your corpse, and we still get our payday. Whadya say, bitch?" His wings are still fully extended, showing the overlapping, scale-like pattern of wingblades.

The, ahem, 'Stickhead Bitch,' is a light gray unicorn mare with an almost-white ice blue mane. Her dark blue robes shifted as she adjusted her position to one more able cover the downed figure behind her, a cutie mark of a lavender, runed teardrop over a five-point lavender pentagram showing clearly as the robe did not cover her flanks. She also had a satchel carrying what looked to be well-read books, (though for all intents and purposes it could very well be battle damage.) She grit her teeth and growled, even as her bright blue aura flickered as she struggled to even maintain a simple Telekinesis over her pinewood mage's staff. Her eyes, the same sharp blue as her aura, searched wildly for some way to make it out of this mess while remaining... Untouched by the sligthly smaller bandits. "Tch, g-go to Tartarus! I've s-still got enough magic to s-send you bastards there myself if I-I need to!" Obviously a lie, but what could she really do at that point?

Behind her is figure wearing a heavily damaged black travelling cloak, revealing deep furrows of red on a snow-white coat, as well as white bat-like wings. This other figure is laying on her side, (for she is a mare,) the scratches bleeding heavily as she struggles to breathe. Her midnight blue mane shifts as she looks up at the unicorn with sorrow-filled, blood red eyes. Of course, as she looked up at the unicorn, she caught sight of something just at the edge of her blurring vision. Even as the flock of raiders spread out to surround them, she focused on the figure which looked to be nearly as tall-if not, taller than the trees that circled the clearing.

It looked like a dragon, but it was slightly hunched over, and had red lines traveling all around its body. It's horns were oddly curved and it's wings were far larger than what she thought a dragon of that size should have. It's scales were black as the night itself and refused to reflect the moonlight like an dragon's would. It's claws were longer and sharper-looking than the average dragon's, as well. It's rear limbs, however, were most glaringly different as it's legs were bent like a pony's, and it had a sickle-shaped talon on it's innermost toes. Then she caught it's eyes; blood red, with no other shade in them, and wrath seemed to pour out from them.

The downed pony saw his claws tighten into a fist as her vision failed... But to the end of days, she would remember her first time feeling a Deathclaw's growl as the earth beneath her rumbled, and she blacked out...

The others felt the air reverberate with a constant roll of thunder, that seemed to slowly become louder with each passing moment. The unicorn spotted John first as he came out of the treeline, sheer terror causing her to lose her grip on the staff. The Raiders saw this, their green-coated leader turning first to see what looked to be a very ticked off dragon.

Now, credit where credit is due for the Raider, he did not wet himself upon seeing an angry psudeo-deathclaw up close. "Oh TARTARUS no, I am NOT loosing this payday!" ...Of course, that may simply be because he has no brains and decided that it was a good idea to charge at our dear friend John... Which can only end badly for him.

As the Raider leaps toward John with the intent to slash at his chest, John sidesteps and grabs said wings. This has the unintended yet not-unwelcome side-effect of both rendering the wingblades uselessly damaged and dislocating said wings, causing the Raider to scream in agony. John huffs. "Pitiful."

He then tosses the Raider into one of his friends, knocking both clean out. The other two look at each-other and decide that it would be a good idea to cut their losses and run. They fly to ther friends, pick them up, and fly off in a hurry. This leaves the unicorn and John standing and looking at eachother. One with slight concern, the other...

(\PoV: Unknown Unicorn/)

Oh SHIT! First those damn mercs found us, now there's a demon?! How could this day get any worse?!"It would appear that your companion requires medical attention. Please stand aside, miss." ...Bwuh? Did... Did a demon of all creatures just-"Miss, your friend is hurt, badly. Please stand aside so that I can do what I am able." He says with a proffesional tone, albeit with tells that he himself is slightly nervous.

No. In fact, TARTARUS no! I'm not letting that demon anywhere near her! "G-Go away demon! I-I'll banish you!"

Suddenly one of the dragon's claws light up with a gentle gold light that seems to pulse like a heart-"HEALING MAGIC?! From a DEMON?! HOW! Just... Just how in the gods' names could a demon use holy-aligned healing magick?!"

The demon (?!?) just shakes his head with a low growl. "Do you belive me now?" I- "Good. Now get out of my way so I can save your friend's life!"

I dumbly step aside and let the... Well, he can't be a dragon, but then... Ahrg, this is just one huge headache on top of another one! The golden glow soon washes over Moony, and the kid's wounds seal up nicely. I just... I sit down and try to collect myself. Okay. So. A strange dragon that light doesn't hit right just used holy-aligned healing magic to save the kid, I've still got an overuse headache thanks to that fight with the bandits, and just-I don't bucking know anymore! The dragon, (demon-I DON'T BUCKING KNOW!) looks over Moony again before nodding and turning to lay against a nearby tree-Which barely lasts a second against his weight before falling over, causing him to shout in surprise and splay out his wings! HAH! That one should have been obvious, hay-brain!

The dragon sits up and rubs his head. "And yet again, I eat dirt. I really ought to stop doing that." He crosses his legs and looks at me. "I suppose I should have asked earlier, are you injured as well?"

"Ha! As if those meagre pegasi could ever possibly have hoped to pierced my wards!"

The dragon lets out a deep chuckle and shakes his head. "Ah, yes, because you clearly had the situation well in hand-well, hoof, but you know what I mean." Is he-He's mocking me! Why that son of a whorse! Once I get my magic back I'll-

"I see that thou hath handled the situation, John." Who-Huh. Coming into the clearing from the same direction as the-Oh forget it, as John, came from is a unicorn paladin in rusty plate and with a warhammer on her back. Beside her is an earth pony with a brown cloak on, though I'd guess that she's got some tricks up her mane to be out here in the Everfree.

John nods. "There were four armored pegasi harrasing these two," At that he gestures to the kid and I, "I assumed, given the language used and the implications thereof, that the pegasi were either bandits or mercenaries of the worst kind and not some form of military or law enforcement."

The paladin nods. "Pegasus Raiders, some of the worst scum to even their own." Walks over to me. "I am Solaria Dawnhammer of the Ember Seekers Order. My companions are Johnathan Dreadscale-"

"Though, I assure you," He interjects, "The name is purely for the sake of irony."

The paladin tenses, but calms quickly. "Yes, now, the other is-"

"Name's Nightshade, nice to meet you!" The buck?!I trun around to see the cloaked pony leaning against a tree next to the kid! How did she-OWOWOWOWOBAD HEADACHE! DOWN!

"...My name is Mystic Drop, and the kid here is Blood Moon," The paladin tenses at that and John's eyes narrow, not that I really care at this moment, "Now, can everypony please just shut up so this headache can go away? If you don't I'll make sure you never feel warm again!" I say that last bit perhaps a bit too agressively, though again, I don't really care right now as I've got a bucking huge headache!

"Muhhhh, lrme sleep..!" Shit, the kid's choosing right now to wake up? How could this get any-Oh SHIT! The kid gets up, and the tattered remaints of her cloak fall off, revealing bat wings clear as day, as well as her huge flanks. Don't open your eyes kid, there's a paladin right bucking-Then she blearily opens her eyes and reveals to everypony here her blood red, cat-like eyes. She first locks them onto me. "I was having a horrible..." She then notices John. "...Oh. That wasn't a nightmare, was it?"

I gulp, all too aware of the paladin's baleful gaze. The Ember Seekers have a rather large vendetta against anything or anyone who skulks in the shadows, including thestrals and bat-ponies. I can't fault them for it with what happened to the city of Lorethick, but it just so happens that Moon is a pureblood thestral. Buck. "No, kid, no it was not. And, ahh, there's an Ember Seeker here. Behind me."

She pales, (or at least I think she does, with her having a white coat and all.) "Ah. Um, that's not great. M-maybe we could just sit and have tea and not fight?"

To the surprise of most there, myself included, (though I'd never say it,) John nods. "Tea sounds good," He levels a very clear look at Solaria. "Right, Sol?"

The paladin grits her teeth. "I suppose that shalt be agreeable." Even though she says it in a voice that clearly suggests otherwise.

John the I-Don't-Bucking-Know nods his head, before getting a sort of twinkle in his eyes. "So a rogue, a paladin, a sorcerer and a dragon sit down for tea with a bat-pony..." Uhg, oh gods he's a joker...

Author's Note:

I LIVE!!!! Well, mostly. My deepest apologies for not uploading a chapter sooner. Anyhow, I would like to introduce you all to somepony you've probably seen mentioned here before: Umbra.

Standing in your veiw next to Hunter is a bat-winged alicorn with a curved horn. He is black, with deep blue spinal ridges going all the way to the end of a barbed, draconic tail. Oh right, he also has dragon talons in place of rear hooves. He also has fangs, and his eye whites are the same blue as his spines while his actual eye is purple and cat-like. The tip of his horn is also shaded blue, though it fades to black midway to his head.

Ah yes, greetings to you all. And before you ask, yes. I was indeed inspired by Sombra. In any case, I shall be in the AN from now on as co-host. On that note, we would like to thank both doompony32 and crimsoin sun for sending in OC's, especially crimsoin. Two of the OC's have been revealed now, but crimsoin has been kind enough to create a fair few for the first stop on this little journey, so be on the lookout for them later.

Yes indeed, Umbra. I would also like to remind everyone here that I will be accepting OC's for a good while now, and may decide to ask you about how your characters might react under certain circumstances in the future. What can I say? I may end up being more of a DM than an Author!

Anyhow, I would like to take the opportunity to also thank all of you who thumbs-upped and left a review! I would also like to ask those who disliked why the did so, even if they did it solely because this is a Displaced fic. I also think I've said also one-too-many times in this AN.

Without further ado though, farwell.

[EDIT]
SURPRISE, two for one deal, good for today only!

In all seriousness though, I hope that this new version of the encounter with Moon and Drop is alright with you guys. I'm trying to make sure that I don't mess something up. Also, if you'll look closely, you'll see something else that I put in. Anyway, here's to me eventually getting around to another chapter!

Sincerely,
Hunter Redflame.