• Published 18th Mar 2017
  • 7,193 Views, 169 Comments

Death's Claw - Hunter Redflame



Honestly? It could be much worse. Sure, I'm in medieval Equestria before Discord took over. And yeah, I'll probably never see my family again until the End Days... But at least Deathclaws are apparently Holy... Somehow.

  • ...
21
 169
 7,193

Chapter 4: Whew... Wait, What-WOAH! [EDITED]

Chapter 4: Whew... Wait, What-WOAH!

(\PoV: John/)

Ourgh... That hurt... Someone make a note to knock myself out before being transformed again...

Prayerfully, we won't... But I'll make note of it anyway.

Thank you, Lightning. Alrighty, time to get up... I slowly open my eyes, showing that I still had my claws. Still as demonic-looking as always.

Looking over myself-YES! Limbs are as they should be! I turn my head back to look at what I'm pretty sure are-Yep. Those are dragon wings. Huh. They're surprisingly whole, not even any ragged edges! Then again, I guess those come with time and battle experience. Anyway, they're the same shade of black as I am, and continue the blood-red veins shtick to my shagrin. I mean, any color that doesn't make me look like a deppressed teenager who likes a knife too much would be prefered...

Night snickers for a moment before it turn to look at her, with her one hoof in front of her mouth. Once she sees me looking though, she quickly shuts up and starts whistling and looking anywhere but me. Ah, metinks I was tinking out loud. I roll my eyes. "Well, go on, I'll be the first to admit to having accidentally said something silly out loud."

She scratches the back of her neck with her hoof, (I know real equines can't do this, but I'm in a different dimension! So, frack... Logic... Okay, weak argument, BACK TO STORY!) "Hehe, good to know you've got a sense of humor at least. I guess this whole trip isn't gonna be that boring," she says with a not-so-subtle look toward Sol who has her head buried in MY-well, her Bible now, I guess.

I nod. "Oh, I'm sure something or another will help keep it exciting." I stand-OW! "...Damnit, not again!" Aaand once more I got my horns stuck! Perfect! I say as I tug-ow. Try to tug my horns-ow. Frack, I'm stuck. I look to Night sheepishly. "Um... Can you help me get unstuck please?"

Night's right eyebrow twitches once, then again, before finally she bursts out laughing. Y'know, the kind where you wonder how the Hell your sides haven't died yet? Yeah, that's the one. On the upside, it does have a pleasant tone to it. On the down, she's still not helping me. I deadpan. Because of course that's what the reaction would be, joyous laughter at a teammate in trouble. God, if this is how it's going to be, why am I even here?

Finally, she gets down to snickering. "Y-yeah. J-just one s-second, Scales!" My deadpan remains as she shadowports to my right shoulder. She then carefully rolls on her back, (THOUGH SHE'S STILL BLOODY SNICKERING!) and places he rear hooves on the cave's ceiling near where my horns have gotten themselves stuck. At least, I think that's what she's doing. I'm not gonna be able to just turn my head to look in my current state now, am I?

POP-THUD! "...Ow. " That was the FACE! I'm free, but I guess even stealth-based earth ponies have that impressive strength of theirs. Still, having one's face hit the floor so quickly kinda hurts. "...Thrnk yu, Night." Note to self, dirt still tastes terrible.

Night snickers again, this time at least having the courtesy to cover her mouth with a hoof. "N-no problem, Scales."

I carefully get back to a standing position, albeit slightly hunched over. "If thou art quite done making the very earth shake," Oh look, Sol's back from Bibleland! "Shall we set up our camp for the night?"

Huh? I look outside to see-yep. Whadya know, it's night out! "That sounds like a good idea to me."

Hello? HELLO? ANYBODY HOME?!

Of course! Y'know, I thought that the one who wanted us lot to be quiet as the sneaking khajit was this human-looking deathclaw fell-Oh wait, that's YOU!

Yes, Sheogorath, he did. He's simply so chaotic that he has no cares in any world to give.

Well why not be random? Life's no fun without a sprinkle 'o chaos!

Ah. You lot are back. Fantastic, just keep it down would ya? I'm trying to-"Very well, John shalt have the first watch."

"Sounds good, 'night Scales."

Wait, what?! God damnit you guys! "Don't I-" 'Get a say in this?' Is what I was going to say before noticing that Nightshade was already fast asleep on her cloak, showing her-Yep. I was right, she's Luna. After all, not many ponies have a large black splotch surrounding an oddly-filled crescent moon on their flank!

"No." ...And that Solaria had finished taking her armor off and was laying on the floor next to it, eyes closed. Also Celestia confirmed, that's her sun on her rear. I look out toward the cave mouth and sigh. Sentry duty, oh how fun.

...Ehehe... Sorry?

GET THAT SORRY SONUVA BITCH!

YIPE!

(\About four hours later.../)

Nothing. So much quiet nothing. Honestly though, that's a very good thing considering the timberwolves yesterday.

Indeed. One would have expected them to return by now... Though the reprieve is most welcome.

Yeah, now if only it wasn't so boring... I've been leaning on rocky wall the cave's embedded in for a good while now, and there's no sign of any angry wooden wolves anywhere. The forest beyond is dark, and the trees honestly would have made one believe they were in a swamp if they didn't know any better. The flora is also quite swamp-esque, with ferns and mushrooms dotting the ground and exotic flowers sprouting up everywhere. Thankfully there's no sign of THAT particular blue flower yet, but I haven't gone exploring yet so... Yeah.

There's the steady clip-clop of hooves on stone behind me. Wonder who it could be? I turn my head to see Solaria, once again in the rusty iron plate, walking toward me. "I guess my shift is over, then?"

She nods, magenta eyes fixed forward. I sit down at the entrance, trying to make myself comfortable to sleep because I am NOT going back in that cave and getting my horns stuck again! "Thou art staying out here?"

I turn my head to see Sol looking at me in confusion. "Yep, hard to get one's horns stuck on the ceiling when there's no ceiling."

She nods tersely, though I see a faint smile forming nonetheless. "I would suppose so, though I must admit that such problems as art thine are... Rare." I crack a small smile as well, even if the joke wasn't the greatest in the world. We remain in that calm silence for a few minutes until Sol turns and asks another question. "The Lady said you knew of that holy book, yes? Could you help me understand some of it?"

Huh. I could at least try, I guess. "I can try, what is it you don't quite get?"

She takes the Bible from her back and opens it to-Ah, the story of Noah! I wonder what could have gotten her confused about it so quickly? She points to the part where God forwarns Noah that he'll flood the Earth. "I know not why this 'God' would ever have need of such an act. Every lesson I learned at Emberchain says that humans could do no wrong," Oh. "so how could they have ever reached that point?" Oh... She really isn't gonna like what I have to say...

I sigh, and look her in the eye, much to her unease. "I will ask this any time you ask something that you may not want the answer to, and I would ask that you answer as you would. Are you certain that you want to know?" The truth would break her, especially if it was something shed been taught from birth, but I'm not about to lie with something this big. (To her, of course, though this means that humans were at some point here on this world...)

Sol pauses, but steels herself and looks me square in the eye. (Which is impressive in and of itself.) "Yes. I-I want to know how this could have become neccesary."

I nod, and soften my gaze. "I am afraid that you you were taught a lie," Solaria visibly recoils, shock clear on her face. "If out of spite or misinformation, I don't know. What I do know is that humans are-were the most chaotic species you could ever meet. The sad thing is, the vast majority also had dark hearts, especially at that point in time."

Sol shakes her head, and opens her mouth to object when-SHNICK-CRASH!

"...Ow..." MY BALLS!!!-Wait, I'm a deathclaw, my manhood is safely tucked away inside that sheathe-thing, (which is the main reason I have not been freaking out about being in the nude around two females,) most male dragons seem to have, so no balls but still-MY BIOLOGICAL CRIT-ZONE!!! I slowly look down to see that, while it did not penetrate my hide, that Ice Spike most certainly left a bruise. ...Is my Atronach sign mixed in with the Apprentice sign? If so, then things just got more complicated. And painful, but mostly complicated.

Solaria comes over to look, but I hold out an open claw to stop her as I use the basic Healing spell from Skyrim to get rid of the bruise. I then turn over to Solaria with a grim look in my eye. "Wake up Nightshade." No other spells head our way, so I'm assuming that was a stray shot. "Tell her that I got hit by a stray spell and that I'm going to investigate." I get up and start moving quickly in the direction the Ice Spike came from, (At least, the direction I'm assuming from where most of the pain was centered.) Why can things never be simple in these stories?

... B-Because it would be, hehe, to boring for the readers?

Oh shut up, Dreadscale.

Author's Note:

Alrighty, that's another edit out of the way. I never noticed how short this chapter was until now, y'know? Anyway, I'll leave this off here.

Sincerely,
Hunter Redflame.