• Published 3rd Mar 2017
  • 997 Views, 7 Comments

A Day at Pony Island - _Undefined_



Bon Bon and Lyra spend the day visiting the tourist attractions at Pony Island in Manehattan. Lyra can’t help but be Lyra.

  • ...
0
 7
 997

What, You Expected Them to Name It After Rabbits?

Manehattan, as always, was alive with the dull roar of city life. There was the inescapable sound of hooves on concrete as hundreds of ponies walked along sidewalks and through crosswalks. Street vendors shouted – sometimes to advertise their wares and other times at belligerent customers. Taxi carriages jockeyed for position along the busy curbs, and pedestrians jockeyed for position to claim them.

However, Lyra Heartstrings and Bon Bon weren’t there to hear it. They had already spent the first full day of their Manehattan vacation being overwhelmed by everything the city had to offer. This day, they had traveled to the shore to enjoy the attractions scattered along the boardwalk at Pony Island.

While it originally had been an island – hence the name – the continued expansion and development of Manehattan and its surroundings turned Pony Island into a peninsula attached to the big city itself. However, instead of office buildings and businesses, Pony Island was defined by other things: The neighboring ocean, the beach which ponies flocked to so they could enjoy the ocean, the boardwalk that separated the beach from developed land, and the amusement parks, shops, and attractions that bordered the boardwalk.

As they took in the aroma of the morning ocean breeze, Lyra and Bon Bon walked together along the boardwalk until they reached the Manehattan Aquarium. They paid their admission and went inside to learn all about the creatures that lived in the ocean and to observe those creatures in the many tanks and aquariums on display.

“Check it out, Bon Bon,” Lyra said, pointing to a nearby tank. “This octopus is looking at me with its giant eye.”

“I think you’re just imagining things,” Bon Bon said. “It’s a small tank – its eye has to be pointed somewhere.”

“No, read the sign,” Lyra said, gesturing toward a placard next to the tank. “They’re smarter than ponies think. Look.” Lyra took a couple of steps sideways. The octopus’s gaze seemed to follow her. When she sidestepped to the other corner of the tank, the octopus reacted accordingly.

“See?” Lyra said. “It’s checking me out.”

“I don’t want anypony – or anything – else checking you out.”

Lyra pressed the entire side of her face against the tank. “Hey there,” she said as if she was addressing an unfamiliar puppy. The octopus began to move toward her. “My name’s Lyra. What’s yours?”

One of the aquarium employees walked over. “We’ve been calling her Olive. She’s really friendly – she loves meeting new ponies.”

“Hi, Olive,” Lyra said. “Look, Bon Bon – she’s trying to say hi back.” Indeed, Olive was placing two of her sucker-covered arms against the glass of her tank.

The aquarium employee talked to Lyra about octopuses for a couple of minutes; Lyra kept her face pressed against the tank throughout. Soon, though, it was time for the first performance of the day of Manehattan Aquarium’s signature attraction: The sea lion show.

Lyra and Bon Bon arrived at the small, amphitheater-like area early and found seats on a bench in the first row, directly in front of a relatively large pool of water. There was a small walkway separating the seats from the pool and a fence directly in front of the seats to keep the spectators from stepping onto the walkway.

Eventually, the stands were filled approximately halfway to capacity with tourists and families. From some unseen location, a phonograph began to play up-tempo rock music, similar to what might be heard as the teams took the field during a hoofball game. A unicorn wearing a Manehattan Aquarium polo shirt came trotting out from an offstage location near the back, took her position at the center of the wide deck bordering the back of the pool, and began to address the crowd.

“Fillies and gentlecolts! Welcome to the Manehattan Aquarium’s Sea Lion Spectacular! My name is Aquamarine, and it is my pleasure to introduce you to the star of our show… give it up for Comet!”

The ponies in the stands stomped their hooves and cheered as a fully grown sea lion came rocketing forth from an unseen door near the bottom of the opposite side of the pool. In no time at all, it broke the surface of the water and climbed onto the deck next to Aquamarine.

As the cheering died down, the music came to an end. While motioning with her hoof, Aquamarine said, “Say hello to everypony, Comet.”

On cue, Comet raised a flipper into the air and waved it up and down. The ponies laughed and lightly applauded.

Aquamarine continued. “Comet is here today to teach you about sea lions and all of the amazing things they do. But before we begin, Comet wants me to make one thing abundantly clear: He’s a sea lion. Not a seal.” Aquamarine sliced her foreleg down through the air for emphasis.

Comet responded by lowering his head and placing his flippers in front of his face. The audience laughed again.

“See – he hates it if I even use that word. The biggest differences between the two animals are in the front flippers and the ears.” Comet got back up and Aquamarine gestured toward the flippers that he was leaning on. “Sea lions have large, powerful flippers that they use to move around on land. And you can see the flaps outside a sea lion’s ears. Se— I mean, those other animals – don’t have visible ear flaps.”

Aquamarine then went on to explain sea lion behavior, including how they swim. To demonstrate, Comet dove back into the pool and performed many acrobatic twists and turns through the water. Lyra cheered the sea lion on for each and every one.

As this demonstration was taking place, Aquamarine was gradually walking around the edge of the pool until she was standing on the walkway directly in front of the crowd. After tossing a beach ball toward Comet, who easily batted it away with his nose, Aquamarine continued with her sea lion facts.

“In the wild, sea lions are actually very social creatures. And I know for a fact that Comet would like to have a better chance to meet all of you. Is that okay with you?” Naturally, the crowd cheered its approval.

With a signal from Aquamarine, Comet emerged from the water and stood on the walkway directly in front of Bon Bon. The sea lion turned its head back and forth to look at the crowd. Bon Bon was surprised at how much larger Comet seemed to be now that he was right next to her.

“And when sea lions interact with one another,” Aquamarine said, “they tend to vocalize a lot. Now that you’ve had a chance to meet everypony up close, Comet, is there anything you wanted to say?”

Aquamarine raised her hoof toward the crowd. Comet, whose face was pointed directly at Lyra, barked very loudly four times in a row.

“It looks like Comet is especially happy to meet you!” Aquamarine said to Lyra. Light laughter came from the rest of the audience.

“It’s nice to meet you, too,” Lyra said to Comet. Then she began to bark loudly in an imitation of the sea lion.

Although she was briefly taken aback by Lyra’s response, Aquamarine grinned and raised her hoof again. Comet barked back. Which caused Lyra to respond in kind. This back-and-forth continued for ten seconds straight. The rest of the audience laughed and applauded. Bon Bon simply smiled, rolled her eyes, and shook her head. She tried not to pay too much attention to the awful fish smell on Comet’s breath.

Finally, Aquamarine signaled Comet to dive back into the water. “Now, since it’s clear that Comet is comfortable around all of you, I think he’d like you all to meet the newest addition to our Sea Lion Spectacular. She’s been here at the aquarium for nearly two years, but she’s only been in front of crowds for a few weeks. Let’s have a big round of applause for Fireball!”

From the same underwater door, a smaller sea lion came swimming out. It made its way to the surface and beached itself on the deck near the back of the pool.

Aquamarine explained that Fireball had been born a little under two years ago at the aquarium. Then, while reciting facts about sea lion pups, she had Fireball perform some basic swimming maneuvers while Comet watched from one side of the pool.

“So you can see that Fireball has already got a knack for swimming and performing,” Aquamarine said. “She’s also been working on her diving, and she’d like to show off for all of you. But before she does, is there a foal here who would like to help us out?”

Numerous small hooves shot into the air. Aquamarine picked out an earth pony filly near the center of the stands and opened the fence to allow the foal onto the walkway. Aquamarine led her to a platform near the back of the pool that stuck out directly over the surface of the water.

“You’re okay with getting splashed, right?” Aquamarine asked. The filly nodded. “Good. I want you to climb onto this platform right here and sit down. Make sure that you aren’t sticking out over the edge at all. Just like that – perfect. Now, don’t move.”

Aquamarine signaled to Fireball, who swam across the pool, climbed onto the deck, then made her way up a ramp to a diving platform that was about three times the height of the filly. The diving platform ended just before the platform the filly was sitting on began.

“Are you ready?” Aquamarine asked the filly. The filly replied with a slightly uncertain “Uh-huh.”

“Go, Fireball!” Aquamarine shouted while twirling her foreleg. Fireball turned around, positioned herself at the back end of the diving platform, then turned around again and quickly waddled forward. When the young sea lion reached the edge of the platform, she dove forward, past the filly, and gracefully entered the water.

Aquamarine announced, “Fillies and gentlecolts, let’s hear it for Fireball and this brave filly!” The crowd stomped their hooves and cheered as Aquamarine led the filly back to the stands.

Aquamarine dismissed Fireball, who dove under the water and swam away through the hidden door. “Now, that was impressive, but I get the feeling that Comet here has become a little jealous of Fireball. Am I right, Comet?”

After Aquamarine flicked her hoof, Comet nodded.

“Do you have a trick that’s even better?”

Comet nodded again.

“All right, then! Let me just explain it for the ponies here. As you’ve all seen, while it’s common for sea lions to breach the water while they’re swimming, they very rarely leap completely through the air. Comet, though, thinks he can do it, and furthermore, he’s not going to let that young Fireball upstage him. So if Fireball can leap over a pony with a running start from a raised platform, he’s going to leap over a pony while swimming through the water!”

Aquamarine started to walk toward the crowd. “For this jump, I need an adult. Do I have anypony who’s willing to volunteer to let a sea lion jump directly over them? As a reminder – Comet weighs about twice as much as you do.”

Bon Bon looked around and saw that none of the adults in the stands behind her were too eager to volunteer. She didn’t bother to check the response of the pony sitting next to her – without even looking, Bon Bon knew that Lyra had enthusiastically raised her entire foreleg into the air.

Aquamarine walked over to Lyra. “It looks like you’re the one. You and Comet got along really well before, so I bet he trusts you. Come on down here.”

Aquamarine led Lyra past the fence and had her step onto a narrow platform that extended out toward the center of the pool. It was positioned slightly beneath the water – when Lyra stood on it, the water came up to a point a little bit above her fetlocks.

“I want you to lie down on your side on this platform,” Aquamarine said, “and just barely keep your nose above the water.” Lyra did so, tucking her legs in toward her stomach. Half of her head and body were now submerged. “You can keep your eye open, but don’t raise your head. We don’t want Comet to impale himself on your horn. Are you ready?”

“Ready!” Lyra replied, still full of enthusiasm. “You can do it, Comet!”

Aquamarine stepped back so as not to block the audience’s view. “You heard her, Comet – you can do it!”

Aquamarine signaled, and Comet began swimming quickly toward Lyra. In no time, he was at the platform – he leaped out of the water and soared over Lyra’s body with only a few inches to spare. When Comet reentered the water, the wave that he created rose over Lyra’s head – seeing that Comet had already cleared her, she instinctively lifted her head out of the water so she could breathe.

As the crowd cheered, Aquamarine told Lyra that she could get up. Lyra stepped off of the platform and back onto the edge of the walkway. Aquamarine signaled for Comet to swim onto the underwater platform, where he stood next to Lyra. Comet raised one flipper into the air. Lyra immediately understood and gave Comet a high-hoof. Once again, Lyra began barking at Comet. Aquamarine raised her hoof, and Comet started to bark back.

“The amazing Comet, everypony!” Aquamarine said. She signaled one last time, and Comet dove into the water and swam out through the door. “I hope you all had a good time here at the Sea Lion Spectacular. Thank you for joining us at the Manehattan Aquarium, and on behalf of everypony here, we hope you enjoy the rest of your visit!”

As the crowd began to get up and exit the stands, Aquamarine gave Lyra a towel so she could dry off. Lyra did so, then met Bon Bon at the fence. The two walked back inside to look at the rest of the exhibits.

“I think Comet and I have the beginnings of a good buddy act worked out,” Lyra said. “What do you think?”

Bon Bon looked at her marefriend with a smile. “You’re nuts, you know that, right?”

Lyra smiled back. “You’re just jealous because I can talk to sea lions and you can’t.”

“Yes, you’re right,” Bon Bon said. “When we get back home, I’ll let Fluttershy know that her services are no longer needed in Ponyville.”

After they explored the rest of the aquarium, Lyra and Bon Bon stepped back out onto the boardwalk, where they quickly grabbed a couple of slices of pizza for lunch. They then walked over to one of the saltwater taffy stands and bought just enough to sample the candy’s flavor.

“It’s still better here than when I make it,” Bon Bon said with more than a little frustration in her voice. “I know they say it’s because of the water in Manehattan, but that can’t possibly be everything. What am I doing wrong?”

“Hey, hey, hey,” Lyra said, placing her foreleg on Bon Bon’s withers. “Your taffy is still delicious. I bet you’re the only pony in Ponyville who can tell the difference. Besides, I’d like to see these taffy ponies make mint patties or chocolate-filled raspberries that are as good as yours.”

Bon Bon looked at Lyra, her angry expression softened. “You’re biased,” she said.

“Yeah, but I’m right, too. Now come on – the theme park awaits.”

Lyra and Bon Bon continued down the boardwalk until they reached the entrance of Luna’s Park. Shortly after her first Nightmare Night, Princess Luna came to the decision that she wanted the ponies of Equestria to have the opportunity to experience fun in numerous forms. After learning about the existence of an abandoned amusement park on Pony Island, she arranged to have it refurbished and restored to its former glory. It quickly grew to become one of the most popular tourist destinations in the nation and further helped the princess move away from her Nightmare Moon reputation.

At Bon Bon’s insistence, once she and Lyra entered the park, they walked a slow circuit past all of the rides, both to plan the order of what they wanted to do and also to give their stomachs a chance to settle after their greasy-pizza-and-taffy lunch. Lyra then got to choose the first ride – she opted for one in which ponies were strapped into harnesses attached to chains that led to the top of a tall cylinder. As the cylinder began to spin, it also rose into the air, causing the riders’ hooves to leave the ground and allowing them to experience centrifugal forces that simulated the sensation of flight.

Naturally, no pegasi were waiting to get on the ride. As Lyra and Bon Bon stood in line, Bon Bon noted that it seemed cruel to create a flight simulator ride that required a height restriction, thereby prohibiting the youngest pegasi foals – who couldn’t yet fly – from experiencing it. Lyra pointed out that there was a smaller, less intense version of the ride elsewhere in the park that the foals seemed to be enjoying.

After completing their turn on the spinning flight ride, Bon Bon and Lyra headed over to The Giggler, an unusual type of coasting ride. Rather than a railed track, each vehicle traveled on caster wheels down a twisting, winding path defined by a bumper-lined fence. The vehicles themselves were each shaped like a wide, open barrel with a bench wrapping around the interior. Passengers would sit inside a barrel with no harnesses or seat belts. After being pulled to the top of the ride, the barrel would freely begin its descent down the gentle slope of the path. As it rolled along, the barrel would encounter multiple hairpin curves, causing the passengers inside to spin around and slide into one another.

If that wasn’t novelty enough, The Giggler was also notable for its decorations that depicted a smiling pony head. The design of the grinning face had been carved multiple generations prior. While the enormous, overexaggerated toothy smile surrounded by excessive dimples may have been considered charming all those many years ago, by modern standards, it looked somewhat unsettling and grotesque. But because the design had reminded Princess Luna of whimsical sculptures she remembered from before her banishment to the moon, she insisted they remain with the ride while it was being refurbished.

Bizarre decorations aside, the ride itself was unique and fun. Lyra and Bon Bon received a barrel to themselves, and howled with delight as the sudden, frequently jarring rotations of the barrel caused them to repeatedly lean onto one another – and on a couple of occasions, fall off of the bench entirely. When they disembarked from the ride, they were slightly discombobulated but filled with laughter.

While walking through the ride’s exit, the two passed by another copy of the grotesque smiling pony face. As they walked past the line of ponies waiting to get on the ride, Lyra contorted her face into a wide smile designed to mimic that of the decorations.

“Wow,” Lyra said, struggling to enunciate through gritted teeth and pulled-back lips, “they weren’t kidding when they showed what that ride will do to you.” She turned to a couple of families who were waiting in the line. “I hope you know what you’re in for, kids,” she said, pointing to the large depiction of the grinning face that was mounted above the ride’s entrance. The foals laughed and tried to mimic Lyra’s expression.

As they left the vicinity of The Giggler and walked toward the next ride, Lyra was still making the face.

“So, how long are you going to be able to keep that up?” Bon Bon asked.

“Keep what up?” Lyra replied, the “p” sounds in her sentence distorted by her lips being so far apart.

“You don’t want your face to freeze that way,” Bon Bon said. “Because I don’t know whether I’d be able to deal with that.”

Lyra stepped ahead and placed her contorted, grinning visage directly in front of Bon Bon.

“Oh?” Lyra said. “So this is all about my looks?”

“If I had to stare at that face for the rest of my life…?” Bon Bon said. “Yes.”

Lyra leaned in toward Bon Bon and tried to contort her face even more.

Bon Bon glanced over toward the carousel, which was closed for renovations. “Oh look,” she said, pointing to a container next to the park employee working on the ride. “A bucket of shellac. Perhaps I should spread it all over your face.” She made a move as if to start walking in that direction.

Lyra waved her raised foreleg in front of her face, which instantly snapped back to her normal grin. “Too late,” she said. “The effects of the ride wore off. Maybe next time.”

The two continued to explore the park. After a few more rides, they found themselves in line for an attraction that was similar to a teacup ride, only set up within a large pool. While the cars were teacup-shaped, they were decorated to resemble sailing ships. Additionally, unlike an ordinary teacup ride, the seats were located near the center of the cars. The riders, four per car, faced outward, each positioned behind an adjustable water cannon mounted to the outside of the car. By turning a crank mounted on the side of the cannon, a stream of water shot out to spray the other riders.

Lyra and Bon Bon boarded one of the “ships,” followed by a primary school-aged pegasus filly and a pegasus colt who appeared to be a year or two younger than her.

“Arr, welcome aboard me ship,” Lyra said, fully embracing the theme of the ride. “I’m Cap’n Lyra, and this be First Mate Bon Bon. And who might we be sailing with today?”

“My name is Birdsong,” the filly said, “and this my brother Blue Warbler. We’re here with our mom and dad.” She pointed to two pegasi standing behind the glass barrier set up for ponies who wanted to watch the ride without being sprayed by the water cannons.

“Aye, ’tis good they be standing back there,” Lyra said. “The seas can be a rough place for landlubbers. I’m always eager to take on new sailors, though. Can I trust ye to serve faithfully as part of me crew?”

Birdsong looked over at her brother. His face reflected her own slightly hesitant expression. “…Yes?” she replied.

“Arrrr! Ye’ll need to be more confident than that if ye want to taste victory here on the high seas! See all those ships out there?” Lyra asked, gesturing toward the other ride vehicles. “They be after the treasure I buried oh so many moons ago. I’m counting on ye to stop ’em! When we set sail, I want ye to crank those cannons with all your might, hitting anypony who dares get near me ship! Will ye do that?”

Birdsong smiled, catching on. “Yes ma’am!” she said. Blue Warbler echoed, “Yes ma’am!”

“Oho! That’s the spirit I be lookin’ for!” Lyra said. “Now, it looks like we’re about to set off. Sailors, prepare your cannons!”

The four ponies took their seats behind their water cannons, hooves on the cranks. The mechanisms weren’t operational until the ride began.

Soon, the “ships” began to rotate in slow, controlled circles. All of the riders started to turn the cranks on their water cannons. Within seconds, water was flying through the air from all directions as dozens of ponies tried to aim at the many moving targets sitting inside the other cars.

The four ponies inside “Cap’n Lyra”’s ship cranked with all their might, pivoting their cannons back and forth, trying to spray as many other ponies as possible. Naturally, streams of water found their way inside their car.

“Arrr! They be firin’ back!” Lyra yelled to her shipmates. “Give ’em all ye got! We’ll teach them to threaten me booty!”

Bon Bon nearly said something, but remembered that there were foals in the car. Instead, she continued to try to spray the other passengers. Lyra furiously and unceasingly cranked her cannon. Birdsong and Blue Warbler, inspired by Lyra’s enthusiasm, strained to keep up. They were working so hard to turn their cranks as quickly as they could, they weren’t paying much attention to where they were aiming. At least they were getting a good workout, Bon Bon reasoned.

Before long, all four ponies in the car were dripping with water. Lyra was unfazed. “’Tis only a flesh wound, crew!” she shouted to the other ponies in the car. “Ye’ll be fine! Defend your—” she paused to spit out the water that had just been sprayed directly into her mouth. “Defend your honor! Don’t give up! We’ve got ’em on the run!”

After another minute, a ship’s bell sounded, signifying that the ride would be ending soon.

“They still be advancing on us!” Lyra yelled. “I won’t let those bilge rats take down such a loyal crew! Save yourselves – I’ll draw their fire! Hit ’em while they’re distracted!”

Lyra stood up, placing her forelegs on the outside rim of her car. “Come and get me, ye scurvy dogs!” she shouted.

The other riders, who had already taken more than their fair share of shots at Lyra’s car because of her bluster, obliged by nearly unanimously aiming their cannons at her. Due to the rotation of the cars, they couldn’t all hit her at once, but whenever they were within striking distance, Lyra was the recipient of their attacks. The other three ponies in Lyra’s car, who were being splashed with some of the spray directed at Lyra, were too amused at how much Lyra was getting pummeled to aim at the other cars. Bon Bon tried to swivel her own cannon directly at Lyra, but it wouldn’t rotate that far.

Not long after, the ride came to a stop and the water cannons ceased to work. Lyra, soaked from head to hoof, collapsed backward onto her seat and placed her foreleg over her chest.

“They got me,” she said with exaggerated pain and weariness. “Carry on me legacy. The treasure… is buried… in the…”

With an “ack,” Lyra rolled her head to the side and lolled out her tongue. Bon Bon turned to the two foals.

“As former first mate, that makes me the captain,” she said, adopting something closer to a Bittish accent as opposed to the gravelly pirate voice Lyra had been using. “For your exemplary service and bravery in the face of danger, I hereby grant you your freedom. You were fine pirates, Birdsong and Blue Warbler.”

As Bon Bon finished speaking, the ride attendant opened the door to their car. Giggling and laughing, the two foals ran out and over to their mother and father, eagerly asking if their parents had seen them be pirates.

Lyra got up and followed Bon Bon out of the car. Before exiting the ride area, she shook most of the water out of her mane, tail, and coat while Bon Bon stepped back to avoid the spray. As the crowd dispersed and the next set of ponies began to board the ride, Lyra followed Bon Bon through the exit.

As Bon Bon walked ahead, Lyra said to her, “Remind me to never go sailing with you. ‘I hereby grant you your freedom?’ You’re a pirate, not a fairy tale queen.”

“Not all of us are natural old salts,” Bon Bon replied, slowing down to let Lyra walk alongside her. “Besides, I had to keep it light for the foals. What did you want me to do, bury you at sea?”

“Okay, yeah, maybe I did take it a little too far at the end. Thank you for not throwing me overboard.”

“Believe me, I was tempted.”

As the two of them entered the main walkway, a slightly older unicorn mare stepped forward to block Lyra’s path. She was wearing a necklace consisting of four strings of pearls and her ears were adorned with long, dangling pearl earrings. Her mane had been set back and was carefully styled. “Excuse me,” she said in a decidedly unfriendly tone.

Lyra and Bon Bon stopped. “Um… yes?” Lyra asked of the mare now standing directly in front of her.

“You should be ashamed of yourself,” the mare said, stepping forward.

Lyra stepped back defensively. “I… I beg your pardon?” she said shakily.

“The way you’ve been acting – a full-grown pony conducting herself in such a manner! The way you carried on during that ride!”

Lyra shrank back. “I… was just trying to have some fun…”

The mare somehow managed to stand even more rigidly. “You are setting a terrible example for the foals! I have been attempting to show my niece a pleasant day at Pony Island.” She indicated a small unicorn filly who responded with a shocked expression – she clearly did not want to be a part of this conversation. The filly was damp from having just disembarked from the ship ride. Bon Bon recognized her as one of the fillies Lyra had made a face at when she and Lyra left The Giggler.

The older mare continued. “However, your antics have ruined the entire day not only for us, but for all of the other ponies at this establishment. Your shameful barking and carrying on during the sea lion show was bad enough, but now… this?”

Lyra could barely speak. “Did… you follow…”

The mare cut her off. “If I had been given the opportunity to avoid you, I would have taken it!” she said, literally looking down her nose at Lyra. “No, I have had the misfortune of enduring your presence all day, much against my will.”

The ponies in the nearby crowd had all stopped, silently staring at the scene unfolding before them.

“Young lady, I am embarrassed on your behalf. I would not expect the kind of behavior you’ve exhibited today from a foal, let alone a mare of your age! Such… ridiculousness… is unconscionable! To conduct yourself in such a manner in a public place – I would think you would at least have the sense to be ashamed, but apparently you need instruction on how to comport yourself in even a moderately civilized fashion.”

Lyra merely stood there, leaning back in a half crouch, frozen in place.

“For ruining my day and the days of so many others, I demand an apology for your disruptive, foalish behavior!” the mare said, staring daggers at Lyra.

Lyra remained frozen in her submissive position. Her mouth hung motionless in an open frown, unable to form words.

Bon Bon stood in place and watched, shocked into silence. She had a difficult time believing that what she was witnessing was actually occurring. The noises of the amusement park undoubtedly continued around her, but she perceived no sound other than the haughty voice of the mare. The surrounding crowd didn’t move. Bon Bon stared at the two ponies before her. The older mare glared at Lyra. Lyra looked like she was about to cry.

Bon Bon felt a fire rapidly building within her. Without even thinking, she stomped toward the mare.

“Excuse you?” Bon Bon demanded. “Excuse you?! Who do you think you are to dictate how other ponies should act?”

“Your friend here was behaving like a complete—”

“She was having fun! At an amusement park!”

“She was ruining the experience for all of the other families!”

“How? By making things better? By making things more enjoyable? By inviting others to have a good time with her? I didn’t see anypony whose day was ruined! I saw a lot of smiling faces and laughing foals! I only wish I was able to enjoy life the way Lyra does! Lyra is one of the most fun, most wonderful ponies in all of Equestria – she brings laughter and happiness to others, and you dare demand she apologize to you?”

The mare huffed with contempt. “I suppose I should demand an apology from you for this outburst.”

“Outburst? You’re the one who stopped Lyra in the middle of the park and publicly chastised her for helping everypony have fun! The only pony here who deserves an apology from me is your niece, who shouldn’t have to watch me stand up to a bullying, mightier-than-thou prude!”

A couple of the ponies in the crowd clapped lightly. The mare looked around.

“Now,” Bon Bon said, “since you are the pony responsible for this turning into a scene, I suggest you turn around and walk away before any more ponies stop to stare at the mare who thinks it’s okay to loudly shame others for faults that only she perceives.”

The mare attempted to preserve her dignity with a self-satisfied “hmph.” She turned to her niece, who was desperately trying to blend into the crowd. “Let’s go,” the mare said. “There’s no sense talking to such… uncouth ponies.” The crowd parted to let her leave. Her niece reluctantly followed her.

Bon Bon found herself instinctively standing in front of Lyra as a living shield. She watched as the mare walked away. All Bon Bon could feel was the lingering rage swirling inside of her. Her head felt like it was swimming. And she was pretty sure she had cracked one of her hooves when she first stomped forward.

After a few uncomfortable moments, the crowd broke up and began to head off in different directions. Lyra stepped around and wrapped Bon Bon in a hug. Slowly, the pent-up tension left Bon Bon’s body. Bon Bon placed a foreleg around Lyra in return.

Lyra released Bon Bon from the hug and stepped back to look at her. Tears were in her eyes. “Just when I thought it was impossible for me to love you more…” she said quietly.

Bon Bon tried to downplay it. “She had that coming. She was way out of line.”

“Thank you for defending me.”

“I had to. You did nothing to deserve that. Don’t mention it.”

Lyra began to walk to the nearest park directory. Bon Bon followed her.

“What are you doing?” Bon Bon asked.

“Looking for the tunnel of love,” Lyra said. “I know you don’t like public displays of affection, but I need to show you how grateful I am.”

Comments ( 7 )

If, like me, you aren’t thoroughly familiar with the rides at Coney Island, “The Giggler” is based on a real-life attraction called The Tickler. However, I didn’t base it on the present-day Wild Mouse-like ride that currently bears that name. Instead, it’s based on the original Tickler ride from the first half of the 1900s. The grinning pony carvings are a reference to the decorations that adorn the current Tickler.

The final ride in the story is a reskinned reimagining of a different ride that also exists at the park.

Well, that was fun! Thanks for another insight into Lyra and Bon Bon's life! :twilightsmile:

I would love to see what happens in the love tunnel

Great as always! You really get Lyra and Bon Bon!

Cool, but what happens in the love tunnel? Don't get me wrong; it was great, but I was just wondering.

9351872

That's between Lyra and Bon Bon.

(Although it wasn't resolved until they got back to their hotel room later that evening.)

Enjoyable story.
Shame it ended there.
I could have been up for seeing what they did next :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment