• Published 5th Mar 2017
  • 4,561 Views, 296 Comments

What If? - Equestrian Avengers: Shattered Dimensions - Maximus_Reborn



Starlight Glimmer unleashes the power of the Tablet of Order and Chaos, and it's up to the Equestrian Avengers to save the very fabric of time and space.

  • ...
37
 296
 4,561

Reunion! First Stop in Fragment Hunting!

Chapter Two “Reunion! First Stop in Fragment Hunting!"

Chaotic energies spiraled through the air as traces of electricity snaked across the ground at random. Suddenly, a portal flared up into existence within a deep forest, seemingly out of thin air. A stallion raced from within, skidding to a rather shaky halt upon making contact with the solid forest floor. Peter blinked once he glanced about his surroundings, furrowing a brow as strands of blue energy rose across the portal’s wall like a net.

“What’s that about?” Peter questioned, tilting his head to the side.

Julia cleared her throat, as her voice echoed within Peter’s cranium. “I’m using my powers to ensure no one enters or leaves the world. Once you retrieve the fragment, I’ll drop the barrier.”

Peter simply nodded. “Oh. Good to know that. There’s only room for one dimension hopper in this series. I like being somewhat original.” The stallion stood upright on his hind legs, tapping a hoof against his chin. “Okay. So, I have the upgraded Spider Sense to help find the fragment, and I’m sure if I make enough noise, I’ll find one of my friends. So much is happening at once that I haven’t had much time to ask any questions.” Inhaling deeply before sighing, Peter held his gaze skyward. “I guess a good starting question would be: where am I?”

Slow to respond, Madame Web huffed. “It is a world you are familiar with, the opposite side of a coin. You are in the dimension of an old friend: Patricia Parker.”

Peter’s eyes widened at the comment. “Oh, sweet! The hot me. I wonder how she’s been? I bet she’s enjoying the retired life. I just-- hold on. In my rush, I forgot the most important thing!” The stallion trailed off, his eyes widening at a realization. He shook his head wildly. “Twilight! Oh, she’s gonna kill me! I jumped into another dimension without telling her!”

“Surely this is something that warrants an understanding from your wife,” Julia coolly interjected, pausing once Peter started pacing in place. Eventually, the woman exhaled. “If it will help console you, I can link you two telepathically for a few moments. You can elaborate on the situation and focus on saving reality.”

A sense of relief washed over him, and the stallion let out a low sigh before nodding. “Yeah. That’d be great. Thanks. Twilight oversees all Avenger activity, and this is a pretty big deal. I’ll need her on standby, just in case things don’t go well.”

A harsh scoff escaped from Madame Web’s mouth. “That’s not what your thoughts say. You’re more worried about her being upset with you.”

Peter trailed off, scratching the back of his head. “Well, if you’re going to pry… then, yes.” The stallion pointed a hoof skyward, grimacing. “My wife can literally exile me to the moon if I rub her the wrong way. Have you ever been to the moon? It’s freezing up there, and worse, there’s no cable or internet!”

“You speak as if that’s from experience,” Julia speculated, her voice wavering between disbelief and apathy.

Peter glanced to the side, frowning. “Once, and I’ll never pluck one of her feathers again.” The stallion cleared his throat. “Then again, she could literally drop the sun on my face, too. She is a sun goddess now. I could always use a tan, but I’d rather not be extra crispy. Kentucky fried pony doesn’t sound as appetizing.”

“You… are rambling on more than usual,” Julia interjected, her tone a touch exasperated.

Peter paused momentarily, scratching the back of his head with a hoof. “Oh, yeah. Sorry. I guess I got used to having Dream in my mind. She always humored my conversations.”

“I certainly don’t envy her. At any rate, I’m connecting you now. Just please hurry. The sooner you reunite with Dream, the sooner you’ll be out of my head,” Julia murmured before an image materialized into existence mere inches away from Peter. Within the castle walls, Twilight sat in front of a desk with her gaze centered on the array of documents with a royal cape over her shoulders. A tiny alicorn sat next to her seat, playing with a doll. Julia chuckled under her breath. “Oh. I saw your daughter’s placement in the Web of Life. Congratulations. I can see Gwen Reilly’s a bundle of kindness.”

Chuckling, Peter nodded. “Yeah. That kid’s going to give me diabetes before she turns six.” Suddenly, within the image, Twilight’s brow furrowed as a faint gust of wind echoed within the confines of her mind. Peter’s expression mirrored that of his wife’s. “Hello? Is this thing on? Mic check. One, two. One, two.”

Twilight blinked. “Peter? Is that you? How are you talking to me telepathically?”

“Science fiction!” Peter declared in an overly dramatic voice, earning a blank stare from the alicorn. “Well, that, and Madame Web’s helping.”

Twilight’s eyes widened. “Julia?” The alicorn paused before her expression fell flat. “Okay. What did my husband do this time?”

Feigning mock hurt, Peter folded his hooves. “Just because the watcher of everything is here to visit doesn’t mean I did something wrong, Twilight! I’m hurt! I’m sensing some distrust between us! We may need couple’s counseling.”

Did you do something wrong to bring Julia here or not?” Twilight firmly questioned, arching a knowing brow.

Glancing about aimlessly for a few seconds, Peter simply shrugged. “Purely coincidence.”

“Meaning, yes. That is very much the case,” Julia sternly replied. “Your husband merely shattered the Tablet of Order and Chaos for a second time.”

Strangely, Twilight’s expression hadn’t changed. She merely glanced to the side with a blank stare. “How did you manage that, Peter?”

Peter waved his hooves defensively. “You girls make it sound like I break ancient, reality bending artifacts for a living.” Clearing his throat, the stallion groaned. “Long story short, Starlight Glimmer found the Tablet somehow, and while we were fighting, I hit it by accident. Now everypony in the Avengers is lost in separate dimensions with fragments of the tablet, including Mayday—”

“Did you just say Mayday?!” Twilight interrupted, a look of concern filling her eyes.

Peter hesitantly nodded, folding his hooves. “Yeah. Her equipment was malfunctioning, and she wanted to go along on the front lines with us.”

“That stubborn girl,” Twilight whispered, shaking her head. Inhaling deeply before sighing, the alicorn simply nodded. “Okay. Continue.”

With a simple yet stern expression, the stallion raised a hoof objectively. “I have to go into each reality and get them back one-by-one, along with a fragment. Plus, Starlight’s still lingering about with a fragment of her own.”

Sobering, Twilight placed a hoof over her mouth before eventually nodding. “I see. I understand. This situation is serious and beyond my control. However, you’re already on task to fixing the problem. If it was just you, I’d be worried, but I can relax a little knowing Julia is keeping an eye on you.” With a reassuring smile, the alicorn sighed. “Go save the world as you always do, Peter. Rescue our daughter and come back in one piece. I love you.”

Peter grinned. “Thanks. I love you, too. I’m always with you in spirit.” As if a thought came to mind, the stallion chuckled. “Speaking of which…”

A sense of dread came over the alicorn, evident by her dismayed frown. “Please don’t.”

“Gwen~!” Peter hummed, causing the filly’s ears to perk. “Grab Mommy’s scepter!”

The tiny alicorn’s eyes beamed at the comment. Before Twilight could react, Gwen retrieved a golden scepter from behind her mother’s chair. Obliviously gleeful, the filly offered the item to Twilight, who forced a gritted smile before accepting the gesture. The scepter itself was simple in design, coated with a golden layer, but its head bore the alicorn’s image, smiling feverishly. However, the item grinned, bearing Peter’s voice.

Twilight blankly stared at nothing in particular. “This has to be the worst thing you’ve ever given me.” She glanced at the scepter as it seemingly stared back, never losing its permanent smile. “I already didn’t like this scepter, but modifying it to have that smile and your voice? This is a cruel joke, even for you.”

“Oh, come on! I made the scepter so that I can always be with you in spirit!” Peter playfully exclaimed.

A blank expression surfaced on Twilight’s face. “Oh, sure. This thing is constantly talking, and it never stops mocking me.” She paused after a duration, blinking. “Never mind. It’s actually more like you than I realized.”

The scepter cackled in a far too cocky and over dramatic tone, matching Peter’s voice. “You dare challenge a god?"

Twilight simply exhaled, holding her exasperated glare forward while ignoring her scepter’s playful gaze. “Shut up.”

Peter smiled, grinning as his wife’s image steadily faded from existence. “Hold the fort, hun. I’ll be back soon. Give Gwen a hug for me.”


Twilight sighed, nodding. “Come back soon.”

The image dissipated from sight, prompting the stallion to lift his gaze. “Okay. There’s that. I guess the best place to start is with the fragment. This world isn’t a bad one, and if I know any of my teammates, they’ll be looking for the fragments, too. Plus, we don’t know what kind of damage is being done with that thing being out and about.” Peter’s sixth sense hummed, highlighting the environment around him. “All right. Let’s get started.”

The stallion jumped high into the air before shooting a strand of webbing onto the top of the nearest tree, pulling himself to its position. He hopped from one tree to the next, never losing momentum. The path traveled was clean, lasting several minutes before the back of Peter’s cranium chimed. The stallion’s eyes widened as he lowered to a branch, remaining perched in a kneeling stance.

“What do you know? I swing around long enough, and my upgraded Spider Sense is already pointing me toward a fragment,” Peter lightly declared, hopping onto the side of the next tree. “I’m definitely sensing something within--” The stallion’s words fell into his throat as he eyed a desolate horizon. The ground was reduced to ashes as flames were spread about, widening. “The, uh, pits of Tartarus?”

“No. Not Tartarus, although I understand the misconception. This was done by something else entirely,” a female’s voice declared from behind. Once Peter jumped from the tree and landed to the ground, a black mist surged from the earth before it took form. Suddenly, Umbra rose from the substance, brushing a hoof through her jet-black mane. “Hello, Peter Parker. You certainly took your time.”

Peter managed a smile, sharing a hoof-bump with the mare. “Umbra! I’m glad you’re still in one piece.” The stallion paused before walking onto the charred earth, kneeling next to a small ember. “Okay. You say this isn’t Tartarus, but it bears a striking resemblance to it.”

Umbra huffed, furrowing her brow in the distance. “This used to be the Whitetail Woods before that monster came through here.” The mare inhaled deeply before sighing. “It was Infurnus of the South.”

“The fire yeti? Patricia told me about him. It’s basically this world’s Glacius, except with fire,” Peter murmured, arching a brow. He frowned, tapping a hoof impatiently against the ground. “That’s not good. Infurnus must have picked up the fragment from the Tablet of Order and Chaos without knowing it."

Umbra blinked before nodding. “A fragment? Yes, that makes sense. I don’t remember much from the explosion, but it explains how I came to be in my former homeworld.” The mare paced in place before settling her crimson gaze on the horizon. “This isn’t good. It’s summertime, and Infurnus is out of hibernation. On its own, its power is great, but with something like what Starlight possessed, I fear stopping Infurnus will be challenging.”

Peter folded his hooves and nodded. “No question. I’ve dealt with this before. A piece of the Tablet can augment anyone’s capabilities beyond measure, but its power is usually unstable. We’d better find Infurnus fast, before it reaches civilization.”

The mare pursed her lips as her eyes widened at a realization. “We’re going to need help finding Infurnus. We’ll waste time chasing him blindly.” Grimacing, Umbra hesitantly nodded. “I suppose we could ask Artemis and Solaris for intel?”

“No need,” Peter declared, tapping a hoof against the side of his head. “My Spider Sense has been upgraded to locate the fragments. If we hurry, we can catch up to the fire yeti before it reaches civilization.”

“Hold on! Not without me you’re not!” a female’s voice called out from behind. Both ponies glanced in the direction of the source before a mare stumbled onto the scene. She bore a striking resemblance to that of Peter, with the only difference being the lengths of their manes. Plus, she wore a crimson and blue set of tights, something Peter hadn’t worn in over a decade. Eventually, the mare lowered to the ground and panted, managing a smile. “Hey. M-Dubs told me what was going on. If I knew you guys were coming, I would’ve baked you a cake.”

Umbra groaned under her breath. “Oh, it’s you.”

“Patricia!” Peter cheered, rushing forward to embrace the mare as she returned the gesture in full. The pair eventually parted, with the stallion resting a hoof over her shoulder. “It’s been years. How’ve you been? Enjoying the retired life?”

Patricia waved a hoof dismissively. “It’s fun. Those kids of mine keep me busy. Mayweather’s off to college, and Benny can’t keep her hooves to herself. Luckily, Dusk keeps them both in check.” The mare smirked, alternating her gaze between Peter and Umbra. “How about you? Sounds like you’re having fun with your team of Avengers.”

Peter leaned over towards Umbra, placing a hoof over her shoulder for support. “Oh, sure. First day as a team, and we’re already breaking and repairing reality.”

“Technically, you broke the tablet,” Umbra dryly muttered, glancing to the side.

Letting out a low sigh, Peter blankly stared at Umbra. “You’re a real goth punk, you know that?”

Patricia edged closer to Umbra with a coy smirk. “It’s still hard to believe that you’re a good guy now. You should smile more. You have the pearly whites for it. Are you sponsoring for Mentos?”

“Be quiet,” Umbra growled, raising a hoof sharply. “I will tolerate Peter because of our pact, but don’t think I have forgotten about you, Patricia Parker. I fully intend to get my revenge on you someday.”

Waving her hooves defensively, Patricia shook her head. “Oh, come on! That’s ancient history! You were trying to take over the Crystal Empire!” Umbra’s venomous glare sharpened, prompting Patricia to step back as her complexion paled. “Geez, you break a girl’s horn once, and you’re marked for the rest of your life.” Hesitantly, Patricia shared a glance with her male counterpart. “I know she’s part of your team, but can we trust her? She’s just as prickly as I remember her.”

Peter chuckled under his breath, stepping between both mares while placing a hoof over Umbra’s shoulder. “No worries. Umbra’s one of my most trustworthy partners, which is really saying something. She wants to protect the world as badly as we do. Just give her a chance.”

Patricia huffed, shrugging helplessly. “We may practically be the same person, but we couldn’t be more different. You’re way more trusting than I am.” However, she smiled, tapping a hoof playfully against the stallion’s chest. “But I guess that’s what I dig about you.”

Peter’s smile widened. “Anyway. Make sure you stay nice to your kids, Patricia. They’ll be choosing your nursery home. Let’s get you through this in one piece, so you can keep living happily ever after.”

A blank stare surfaced on Patricia’s face. “Very funny. I’m retired, not old.”

“So you say. Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter,” Peter whispered, earning an exasperated glare from the mare.

Umbra softly chuckled before walking past the pair. “I hear mid-forty is the new twenty in some realm of reality.”

Once Peter and Umbra marched forward, Patricia’s brow lowered into an exasperated glare. “I think this is my super villain origin.”


After a brief journey, the trio reached the outskirts of the Everfree Forest. Patricia climbed onto the top of the highest tree, peering across the horizon. Meanwhile, Umbra stood with an icy glare while holding her sword. Peter shifted his gaze about, pausing once his sense chimed.

“I can sense a fragment closing in on us,” Peter muttered, turning around. The surrounding heat around him increased dramatically, causing beads of sweat to pour from the stallion’s forehead. He wiped a hoof across his face. “Sheesh. Who turned on the sauna? It’s so hot that I might see a fire hydrant chasing a pack of dogs.”

Patricia leapt down from her position, landing gracefully next to her male counterpart. “No doubt this is Infurnus, but it’s way hotter than usual.” She paused as small traces of embers began to rise from the ground. “I feel like I’m in that Denzel Washington movie, Man on Fire.”

“Yeah, it’s so hot, cows would be giving evaporated milk,” Peter interjected, waving a hoof by his face.

Arching a brow, Patricia panted. “Every time I think about ice, water pours out of my eyes.”

Peter raised a hoof, chuckling. “It’s a good thing I’m not a bee. Otherwise, I’ll have to take off my yellowjacket

“I have a burning question for you, handsome!” Patricia grinned as she edged closer to the stallion while swaying her hips playfully and seductively. “Is it hot out here? Nah. That’s just me.”

Smiling, Peter wrapped a hoof around the mare’s shoulder. “We’re having such a Tinder moment.”

Umbra howled, gritting her teeth as her eye twitched involuntarily. “Silence! Should one more heat pun escape from your mouths, I’ll stab the two of you in the eyes with your own horns!” Once both ponies took her warning to heart, Umbra exhaled and furrowed her brow. “It’s the fragment. It’s intensifying the heat around Infurnus. If we don’t stop it now, it’ll reduce all of Equestria to a burning wasteland.”

Peter shared a glance with his female counterpart. “Okay, Patricia. It’s your yeti. How do we stop him? Any advice?”

Patricia hummed, furrowing her brow. “It’s a big yeti with rage issues. It’s hot to the touch and punches like a freight train. As a matter of fact, just imagine if Firelord and the Thing had a baby. That’d be Infurnus.”

Peter paused. “That’s a lovely mental image, worsened by the idea that your Thing is a chick.”

Suddenly, Umbra’s expression stiffened. “Cease your prattle. It’s already here!”

A trail of flames raced across the ground, causing Peter and Patricia to lift their gazes. Tremors coursed through the earth, growing in volume as something stomped in their direction. Slowly but surely, a bipedal form rose from the horizon, accompanied by a wall of flames. Once several yards away, the yeti paused with a furrowed gaze, eyeing the trio that stood their ground against it. Umbra raised her sword, snarling while Peter lowered into a defensive stance.

Meanwhile, Patricia tilted her head to the side as the creature towered over them. “Oh, it’s a little bigger than usual.” The yeti growled upon gazing at the crimson-clad mare before howling at the top of its lungs. A burning wave raced out, pushing those close by back several hoof-lengths. Patricia blinked, patting away at her already singed mane. “Ah! I hate fighting Infurnus! My mane always smells burnt for a week!”

Peter pursed his lips. “Okay. I’ve been here before. Knock it out, and the fragment will free itself. Let’s keep the fight focused on us and away from the forest. I’d rather have Smokey the Bear not sue our pants off.”

Infurnus roared, raising its fists high above the ground before slamming them to the ground. A massive flame wave raced out, prompting Umbra’s horn to glow momentarily. A dark barrier rose, materializing around her and the Spiders, narrowly managing to block the flames. Just as they dissipated, Patricia hopped out and fired several strands of webbing at the yeti. However, each thread of gossamer was reduced to ashes before any could hope to connect.

Roaring once more, Infurnus sped toward the mare with its fist drawn back. Patricia jumped out of the way, causing the yeti to sunder the earth where she previously stood. The stone disintegrated into molten lava before a fissure spread, allowing flames to rupture from the opening. A shockwave generated from the point of impact, sending Patricia careening until she landed onto the side of a tree upright. However, Infurnus held out one of its hands as a fireball spiraled into existence over its palm.

The yeti tossed the orb at the mare, but a patch of darkness engulfed the flame, swallowing it entirely before it could reach Spider-Mare. Infurnus glanced to the side at the source, spotting Umbra as her horn sparked. Suddenly, the mare unsheathed her blade and charged forward, leaping high overhead. However, just as she lowered the sword, ready to cleave through the creature’s skull, Infurnus reached out and caught the blade with a single paw. Faster than Umbra could react, the yeti swatted her frame away with a swipe of its free paw. The force of the blow sent Umbra spiraling through the air until she crashed onto her back several yards away.

Peter lowered into a defensive stance and paused to cover his hooves in layers of webbing, as if forming makeshift boxing gloves. The stallion whistled before leaping high into the air. Just as Infurnus spun around, Peter dove forward with a straight punch and managed to stagger the yeti. However, the glove disintegrated instantly, bursting into flames on contact. Horrified, Peter screamed as he ripped the webbing from his hooves before it could burn him. He looked to his hooves and affirmed their lack of damage. “That seemed like a good idea at the time.”

Unfortunately, just as he turned around, Infurnus towered over the stallion, snarling under its breath. Peter sheepishly chuckled, raising a hoof objectively. “Oh, hey! Are you a friend of Glacius? Maybe a family member? You two kind of share a family resemblance. Are you brothers? Sisters? Distant cousins?” Infurnus lowered and roared at the top of its lungs, sending out a potent force of wind that blew the stallion’s mane back wildly. Peter managed to hold his ground, albeit with a widened and uncertain gaze. “...and I am so scared that I can’t even finish my stupid joke.”

With a flick of its paw, Infurnus launched Peter with enough force to send him skyward. Patricia jumped high into the air, managing to catch her male counterpart. Both ponies soon landed gracefully before Umbra made her way to their position. The yeti slammed its fists into the ground repeatedly, sending multiple tremors coursing through the earth. The surrounding flames intensified, rising skyward at a frightening rate until their heights matched that of the surrounding trees. The fires slowly spread, forcing the trio to slowly back away to avoid their scorching heat.

Patricia grumbled. “This isn’t working. We can’t even touch him, let alone do any sort of damage.” She exhaled, wiping away at the beads of sweat dripping from her face. “I usually just throw Infurnus in a magic barrier until it burns itself out, but it’s so hot that I can’t concentrate.”

Peter frowned. “That’s smart. Fire requires oxygen, and you’d cut out the air supply doing that.” He furrowed his brow after a thought after a nearby stone was reduced to molten debris. “Sadly, I don’t think normal magic would work in this case. I wish I had Dream right now.. I’d be able to do some worthwhile magic with her, but without her, I’d have to stick to basics. Sadly, my magic is elementary level at best without Dream.”

Umbra was slow to respond, glancing at the ground before lifting her gaze. “Magic alone may not do anything to fire this powerful, but dark magic can.” The mare sheathed her blade, inhaling deeply before sighing. “The dark elements can swallow everything, much like darkness does the light. I can use my entire threshold to quell the flames, but I’ll need you to strike him down in one blow. That’s all I can afford you.” A coy smirk formed on the mare’s face. “Surely, with your brute strength, you can both manage that.”

Patricia blinked. “Did… did you just hold a grudge?”

Tremors coursed through the earth as traces of dark magical energy enveloped Umbra’s form. The mare levitated several hoof-lengths from the ground while her crimson irises faded behind a blinding light. Suddenly, her silver armor shattered apart, breaking into several directions while her red cape vanished from sight. Umbra began chanting in an ancient tongue, her voice distorting and echoing across the vicinity.

Infurnus blinked at the sight, furrowing its gaze as several black tendrils sprouted from the mare’s back. The yeti unleashed a massive flame at the mare, but she simply deflected the attack with a mere swipe of a tendril. Growling before releasing a potent roar, Infurnus slammed its fist into the ground repeatedly. Patricia and Peter jumped back just as a pillar of flames engulfed everything within the immediate vicinity.

Those very fires tore away at Umbra’s flesh, yet she remained firm, never losing her posture. Suddenly, her horn emitted a bright light before each of her tendrils whipped out and latched onto the yeti’s neck, arms, waist, and legs. Faster than it could react, the tendrils expanded, morphing into a black orb that practically imprisoned the creature’s massive form. Infurnus’ image faded behind the darkness, but its roars could still be heard vividly as it repeatedly struck the barrier with enough force to send tremors tearing the surrounding earth asunder.

Slowly but surely, the flames across the vicinity steadily dissipated while the yeti’s vigorous struggling gradually weakened. Umbra held out a hoof before her horn sparked, causing the barrier to shrink to a compact size instantaneously. The darkness eventually subsided, allowing Infurnus to be seen, and the yeti collapsed to the ground in an unconscious heap. The color in Umbra’s eyes returned before she mirrored Infurnus’ actions, limply falling onto the ground with a quiet grunt.

Peter rushed to the mare’s side, furrowing his brow as her multiple wounds steadily closed and healed. The stallion soon chuckled under his breath as he lifted her frame gently. “Huh. The healing factor almost makes me miss dark magic. Almost. You can give Wolverine a run for her money.” Once Umbra stirred to life, she managed to stand under her own power. Peter managed a smile as she stole a glance at the unharmed forest next to them. “Great work, Umbra. You not only stopped Infurnus, but you saved the forest. I’d say this was a good day.”

Umbra took in winded breaths as beads of sweat dripped from her face. “I certainly hope so.” She sobered, holding a softened gaze towards the stallion. “Peter. Thank you for placing your trust in me.”

Peter chuckled. “Hey. You’ve earned it.” He arched a brow at the yeti. “So what did you do to Infurnus?”

Umbra huffed, chuckling lowly. “I simply took Spider-Mare’s advice and entrapped Infurnus in an orb. Fire requires oxygen to burn. Infurnus simply burned its supply out.” The mare smirked. “She may be a fool, but even fools have decent ideas on occasion.”

“I guess that’s as close to a compliment as I’ll get from you. I’ll take it, I guess,” Patricia cheered, standing over the yeti’s unconscious form. “Anyway, you basically just single-handedly saved our Equestria. I’ll vouch for you with Solaris and Artemis. This could be what you need to start over!” The mare hummed. “You’re not Umbra the Tyrant anymore. You’re Umbra the Hero! How about it? Want to move back here? I’m sure everypony would welcome you back with open hooves once they hear how you just saved this part of the land.”

Umbra shared a glance with Peter, who merely nodded his approval. However, the dark mare simply shook her head while holding a warm smile. “That is a tempting offer, but my home is with Peter now. I have a duty to uphold, and I want to see the new world he’s working to build. We have a pact, and I intend to see it through, for better or worse.”

“See? I told you Umbra’s trustworthy,” Peter grinned, patting the dark mare’s shoulder.

Patricia readied to respond, but a fragment suddenly freed itself from Infurnus, levitating in midair. “Well, lookie here,” she cheered, retrieving the item before handing it to the stallion. “Sounds like you’re just getting started on this whole fragment hunting business.”

Peter nodded. “Yeah. One down, seven to go, then we can go after Starlight Glimmer’s piece of the tablet.” The stallion offered the fragment to Umbra. “Hang onto this. It’s the only way you’re getting out of this dimension. Once I find the others, Julia will bring you back to our dimension.”

Umbra simply nodded, accepting the fragment before lowering to a sitting position. “Understood. This will give me ample time to recover.” Both ponies bumped hooves, sharing a smile. “Good luck in your endeavors.”

“Hey! Random fact!” Patricia cried out, earning the collective gazes of her cohorts. The mare tilted her head to the side as she stared at Infurnus for what seemed like an eternity. Eventually, Patricia raised a hoof. “I never knew this, but Infurnus is a female!”

Peter blinked, tapping a hoof against his chin. “Huh. Now that you mention, Glacius is a dude, so it makes sense.” The stallion paused, arching a brow as he glanced to the side. “It also explains the moodswings of this yeti.” Upon receiving blank glares from both Umbra and Patricia, the stallion chuckled sheepishly. “Okay! That’s my cue to go! I’ll see you ladies again soon!” Just as he turned to leave, the stallion’s eyes widened at a realization. “Hey, Patricia! I’m still trying to come up with a new hero name to match the Spirit of Order. Give Umbra some of your suggestions!”

Umbra’s complexion paled. “Oh, please, no.”

Faster than the dark mare could react, Patricia wrapped a hoof around her shoulder. “A name, huh? I’ve got a few in mind! How about the Amazing Arachnid? The Bug Wonder! The Web Warrior?”

As Patricia continued to throw out names, much to Umbra’s dismay, Peter slowly made his way back to the portal. “Are they all going to be this easy?”

“No,” Julia dryly whispered within the stallion’s cranium.

Peter rolled his eyes and cursed under his breath. “Son of a…”

“A job well done, Peter Parker,” Julia’s voice softly declared, pausing momentarily. “However, you must not relax. The rest of the fragments will not be as easy to obtain. Umbra was in a world she was familiar with, and we were fortunate that Patricia Parker was present. We cannot count on the same luck for the other worlds you will soon visit.”

“Don’t be such a Debbie Downer. We’re off to a great start, and it’s onto the next fragment!” Peter exclaimed, leaping into the portal. “I’m sure I’ll be prepared for whatever’s thrown at me next!”

To be continued...