• Published 30th Nov 2016
  • 1,380 Views, 25 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: Ascend or die - GrayOnBlue



Equestria emerges from the Atlantics, consuming Earth. But the catastrophy becoms blessing, as humans received a unique chance to ascend as superior beings of pure magic.

  • ...
175
 25
 1,380

Chapter I: Magic

March 4, 2017
United Nations Headquarters, New York City

Princess Celestia looked upon the audience. There were many humans; not only the delegates from all over the world, but also reporters, journalists and operators. She was barraged with camera flashes. It felt like one photo wasn’t enough for humans, and they needed to make as many as possible.

“Ladies and gentlemen” She spoke softly in a melodic, pleasant voice.
“As I promised, today I shall demonstrate you what a pony body is capable of. For that purpose, I invited three of my friends who kindly agreed to perform a demonstration.”

She gestured towards the trio with a hoof.

A white-coated unicorn with spotless mane and tail and a picture of three gems on both flanks. Rarity.

A yellow pegasus, wearing a shy yet confident smile. Fluttershy.

And an orange earth pony in a hat, who observed the audience with calmness and dignity in her eyes. Applejack.

Celestia cleared her throat and continued.

“All ponies divide into three tribes: unicorns, pegasi and earth ponies. Each of them has unique abilities and physical appearance, but there are many features that every pony possesses.”
“As you should know, there are really good reasons, why only creatures with certain physical traits have an upper hoof in evolution and a chance to become sapient.”

She smiled almost insensibly, hearing annoyed grunts and indignant whispers from some of the humans when she mentioned evolution.

“At first glance, equines have virtually no chance to develop sapience. They are quadrupedal, don’t have flexible fingers and they are also mostly herbivores, to name a few. But obviously, if that was the case, we wouldn’t have been here.
So, what was the advantage that let us reach the pinnacle of evolution? Magic.

As soon as she pronounced that word, three ponies extended their front hooves almost synchronously for the audience to see.

“Each pony’s front hooves have flexible physiology and innate magical attribute that allows them to change density and hardness, and grasp things with high efficiency. These features allow us to perform feats that are impossible for regular equines, such as using a hoof as a labour tool…”

Gasps of astonishment as the pegasus effortlessly hammered a thick nail in the wood that was brought here for demonstration.

“...performing gentle gestures...”

The hoof that just rivaled a good hammer now was lying in the hand of a volunteer, amazed by its softness and tenderness.

“...or using things without strain...”

Earth pony threaded a needle, then holded a dozen of eggs in her hoof while using the other one to grasp a plate, a spoon, a bottle and a glass, while standing on her hind legs.

“Every pony can easily stand, walk and run on two, four or three limbs with roughly the same efficiency.” Celestia clarified, seeing the audience’s reaction.
“On top of that, each tribe has a unique ability that belongs only to them. Such as limited telekinesis for unicorns, flight for pegasi and physical prowess for earth ponies.”

Fluttershy immediately floated into the air, Applejack lifted a huge boulder that made some humans wonder, why it was there in the first place, and Rarity holded several objects in her telekinetic grip.

Celestia waited a little, letting the audience to calm down from surprise and astonishment and continued.

“After a while, we all agreed that it didn't seem like a fair deal. Having tribes with unique abilities that the others can’t even dream about contradicts the very idea of Equestria. We decided to take control of evolution, accelerate it and guide where we want it to go. We...”

“You decided to play God! How dare...”

Celestia ignored the delegate as the others tried to calm him down. She had better things to do than arguing with primitives.

“After spedingt a lot of time and efforts, we had finally achieved our goal. My little ponies will demonstrate that to you. Observe.”
Fluttershy’s and Applejack’s front hooves glowed in soft, aqua and bright green light respectively. Several objects were floating near them.
“By channeling their passive magic outside, earth ponies and pegasi can manipulate objects just as good as the unicorns.”

Rarity’s horn glowed, and a pair of butterfly-like, shimmering wings appeared on her back. Apllejack’s back had wings now as well, but in a more pegasus-like shape. They were effortlessly hovering in the air.

“A pony’s magic can mimic a pegasus’ wing structure and give the other two tribes an ability to fly just as well.”

Now it was the whole Rarity’s body that glowed brightly. Fluttershy’s wings went limp, but it seemed like something has changed in her body too, because of the soft light radiating from it.
Both girls lifted a huge boulder in turns, and then simultaneously punched it with their front hooves. Granite shattered like glass.

Celestia smiled softly, seeing the audience's reaction.

“I hope I made it crystal clear - nobody will lose anything by becoming a pony. Instead, all of you will receive a huge amounts of perks and benefits, and will save yourselves and your loved ones from the anomaly. Now, if you have any questions, I’d be more than happy to answer them...”

March 10, 2017
The Plaza Hotel, New York City

Princess Celestia was standing in her penthouse suite, looking through the window at the big city below her. Humans have started to build the first Conversion Bureau of many. Celestia watched the building site, wondering, how much time they’d need. Her subjects volunteered to come and help humans, but it was too soon for them to show up on Earth. It was more than enough that Fluttershy, Rarity and Applejack helped to demonstrate ponies’ abilities.
Her train of thought was interrupted by a soft knock at the door. She sighed quietly and said:

“You can come in, Honey Bun”.

The door opened, revealing a visitor. It was a dark gray earth pony with black mane and tail, deep blue eyes and a cutie mark as a bun on her flanks.
She was wearing an irritated expression when she looked at Celestia.

“Princess.”

Celestia sighed again and looked back with sad eyes.

“Listen, I understand your irritation, but I had no other choice. If I’d have allowed you to come with me a week ago, I would’ve risked with your well-being. I know how you feel about them and I didn’t want to stress you out.”

The visitor narrowed her eyes.

“Princess, we always followed your orders. Your will is our absolute command. But only because of your immense wisdom and because anypony can demand an answer from you and always receive it.
But you didn’t give any orders about humans. You don’t know what to do about them, so you can only guess. That’s why I came and that’s why I’m...”

“...asking me to stop.” Celestia finished the phrase. She shaked her head slowly.

“Honey, it was the best thing to do anyway. No other solution was that clean and beneficial for humans.”

Earth pony raised her hoof, stopping Princess from adding anything on top of that.

“They do not deserve it, Celestia! They do not deserve to ascend and become ponies, to live in Equestria and be your subjects.”

The Princess kept her silence, as she watched Honey Bun pacing back and forth, obviously annoyed.

“Look what already happened because of them. You have corrupted yourself with a lie, corrupted yourself with calling them 'venerable'… We have corrupted ourselves by arguing right now… and then what? You want to corrupt the whole Equestria by spreading the human disease there? If ponies psychologically wouldn’t have been able to lose their minds, I’d have thought that you are insane! What’s gotten into an infinitely wise and intelligent pony like you?”

“I know that humans are primitive and agressive beasts with an insignificant spark of sapience. But it's just a disease, nothing more.
We will cure that disease, Honey. The ponification serum will help them lose their human nature and become who they need to be to live in Equestria. My little ponies will gladly greet and accept them as equals.”

“This disease must to be purged, not cured. Your Majesty... even a virus has something positive within itself; it’s only trying to survive, after all. Humans are different. They only want to kill, without caring about survival. Whatever things they create, serve the sole purpose - cause devastation.
They are worse than any virus, worse than any disease… they are death and destruction incarnate!
The mere fact that the ruler of Equestria temporarily lives in this garbage hole that should not be called city under any circumstances insults you, Princess. These… things… they are… they are abominations. They violante the very foundation of the universe!
They aren’t even capable of thinking, because most of their thoughts are dictated by instincts, genes and emotions, not by rational mind.
Do you really want to let them live in Equestria?”

Celestia waited until the visitor was done with her emotional rant. She could feel the pain of her subject, could understand her intentions and her opinion. But there was something that Honey Bun forgot about.

Lowering her head, Celestia asked in a low voice:

“You want to tell me that Princess Luna’s idea was wrong?”

That simple question didn’t make the effect Celestia thought it will. But Honey looked like she was stunned for a while. Slowly, she raised her head and looked directly to the Princess’ eyes - a feat impossible to perform by any human.

“I used my judgment, Princess. You may be our ruler and our Goddess, but since you can’t make a clear decision about humans, we are free to act as we think is right.”

Princess raised an eyebrow at this.

“‘We?’”

The earth pony hesitated.

“I...I know some ponies who think that humans should not be allowed to enter Equestria, ponified or not. They agreed with me that humans do not deserve it.”

There was a silence for a while, before Celestia turned away and spoke gently.

“You are free to act as your think, Honey Bun. But I want to warn you - humans are too complicated to make a right decision about them. Please, think twice before using drastic measures.”

She didn’t see the predatory smile appearing on her visitor’s face.

“Don’t worry, Your Majesty. I will think thrice.