• Published 30th Jun 2012
  • 2,319 Views, 202 Comments

Blue Eyes and a Beat - TheOriginalDash



One night, Rainbow decides to hit the club and hang out with her friend Vinyl. They head out to the roof to take a break from partying. What happens next may change how their whole world views love... or at least their friends and family.

  • ...
5
 202
 2,319

The Lion's Den

Author's Note:

Hey, guys. Guess what? I'm back! Yeah, I know, sorry for kinda disappearing. I've been busy with life. But, here is probably the longest chapter I've ever written for anything, so enjoy, and consider it my apology. There's more goodness to come.

And for those of you who enjoy a little musical accompaniment as you're reading, here's a few of the songs I was listening to as I wrote this chapter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT_nvWreIhg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGx0rApSk6w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxxstCcJlsc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F90Cw4l-8NY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGR4U7W1dZU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E36WU9Wzf4

I went to Vinyl's Christmas show, like I had promised her I would. I flew out with her on Christmas Eve, and stayed with her until after the New Year's show in Marelin. Mom wasn't exactly happy to have me away for the holidays, because usually I go to her house, and celebrate with the twins during the break. She let me go, because she told me she learned a long time ago that home is where the heart is, and that the holidays should be spent with those you care about. She said that she knew my heart was with Vinyl, and I should be celebrating with her. Maybe all this talk of family and love and home should have warned me. Maybe I should have seen it coming. Foreshadowing, you know?

---------------

I haven't seen Vinyl for a few months. Sure, I've looked up videos of her performances, and I may have cried a little when I saw the woman I loved passionately spinning records and tapping laptop keys like she was born for it. It hurt to see her, because she looked so close, but she was so far away. Vinyl was becoming even more beautiful and alluring every time I saw her, and it scares me to know that I'm beginning to forget the sound of her laugh, the way she felt snuggled up against me on a cold night, the way she would blush when I compliment her. I miss kissing her, and those brief heated moments when things almost get out of hand. I miss having her by my side every day. I just miss her.

I decided to surprise her in late May. Her birthday would be coming up soon, June 18; exactly one and a half years separated our births. She was supposed to have a show in Boston on the twelfth, and I got permission from my mother to go and surprise her. I'm so excited to see her, and I can't wait to see her face when I show up backstage to meet her before she goes on.

The entire four hours I spent driving to Boston I was anxious and nervous, and just incredibly excited to see my girlfriend again. It'd been so long, you know? Five months is a crazy amount of time to be away from the person you love more than anything. I couldn't wait for the drive to be over. I barely stopped to use the restroom and get food. And even that I ate while driving.

Mostly, I'm just worried about how she would feel. I mean, I know we promised we would stay together no matter what, and every time she would call or text me, she sounded really excited to talk, but I just don't know. It's been hard. I haven't told her that everyone is back to their old tricks and makes it a priority to degrade me and our relationship. It doesn't matter. I just love her. It's that easy. I only worry that the time and distance keeping us apart has changed something. I want to see her as soon as I can. I want to know she's okay, and I just want to hold her in my arms again. I need to know we're still fine.

I pull up to the hotel, absolutely exhausted, despite it only being three in the afternoon. I don't want to spoil the surprise for Vinyl, so I'm staying in a different hotel than the one she's at. It's actually halfway across Boston, to be exact. Right next to the Paradise Rock club, where Vinyl will be playing tonight.

I feel like I could use some music, so I pull out my old iPod touch and some earbuds from the glovebox of my new black Mustang. Perks of being upper middle class, I suppose. Mom bought me a car for my birthday. It's a real beauty. The first thing I ever did in it was take Vinyl out to dinner and to see this horror movie at a drive in. I think it was The Conjuring. That was a fun night.

Thinking of the last things we did together just makes a sour taste come into my mouth. It's a bittersweet memory now, seeing as I've not seen her for almost half a year. It doesn't help that I've got a Framing Hanley song playing in my ears, either. Alone in This Bed hits a little too close to home for my taste. I skip the remainder of the song, and change it to Bring Me The Horizon instead. Sempiternal is a good, safe album.

Grabbing my duffel bag from the trunk, I close it and lock the car with my keys. I'm still quietly humming along with the music when I enter the hotel's lobby. I drop into line at the check-in counter behind some irritated, overweight, middle aged lady, her exasperated husband, and their four kids. One of their sons looks about sixteen-ish, and he's been checking me out since he caught sight of me. It happens, I guess. I wish Vinyl was here. She usually would glare at someone until they back off and run for cover.

Lost in my musings about how Vinyl would probably deal with this kid, I totally miss the fact that he's been talking to me. Sighing internally, so as not to hurt his precious feelings too badly, I pop an earbud out to listen to him.

"I'm sorry, I missed what you were saying. I was just thinking about something," I find myself saying to the poor boy. He flushes a little, and then straightens up and tries to act suave. He's actually pretty cute for a guy, despite the little pimple clinging stubbornly to the skin underneath the scraggly, dark stubble on his chin.

"Sorry, miss. I was just wondering why you were here. Not that it's a bad thing you're here..." He gets nervous when he feels like he made a mistake, and I feel bad for him. I sympathize, because I have a hard time talking to cute girls, too.

"Nah, it's okay, I get what you mean. I'm here for the DJ PON-3 concert tonight. I heard it's supposed to be great." He looks grateful for the lifeline I threw him, and he seems to relax a little. There's no harm in chatting with him for a few minutes while I wait for his mom to finish up at the desk.

"Hey, that's cool! I'm here to see her, too!" He blushes as his excitement causes his voice to crack a little, and I smile warmly at him. He fumbles with his words for a bit, and then seems to want to continue.

"She's really talented. I absolutely love her music. And she's hot, too. That's like, a bonus." I grin at the compliments he's giving Vinyl, even if the idea of a teenage boy I've just met drooling over my girlfriend is a tad uncomfortable.

"Yeah, kid, you're right. She's very musical. I'm honestly kind of jealous I don't have that much talent. And believe me, I wish I were that attractive." His eyes widen slightly at the last thing I say, and his next words come out kinda stammered at first.

"B-but you are hot! I-i mean, sorry. You're really pretty. Don't say stuff like that. You're just as attractive as her." I can't help but grin a little at his praise, and I extend my hand for him to shake.

"Thank you, kind sir. That means a lot. I'm the one-and-only Rainbow Dash, and it's nice to meet you." He takes my hand in a surprisingly strong grip for his thin frame, and shakes it a few times as he smiles back at me.

"I'm Blue Starlight. It's nice to meet you, too, Miss Dash." He's very polite, which is surprising for a boy his age. His mother or father must have taught him well. Etiquette will help him find a girlfriend, even though he's already got looks. Add a charming personality to a killer smile, black hair, and soulful, innocent blue eyes, and you've got quite a package. He interrupts this train of thought with a question, and I miss most of it.

"I'm sorry, Blue, can you repeat that? Sorry, thinking again." He grins, and lets go of my hand, a little too late for casual contact. But I don't mind, he's sweet.

"I asked you if you'd like someone to go with to the show tonight. I figured maybe you'd like some company. Concerts are always better with friends." I chuckle a little to myself. He's so cute.

"Blue, are you talking, a date?" He flinches, and then blushes.

"Y-yes, I was. I'm supposed to be going with my friend Aurora and her boyfriend, and I figured maybe you'd like to go with me?" He got ever more nervous as he continued, and I felt bad.

"Hey, tell you what. We can't make this a date, because my girlfriend will be there. But I will go with you and keep you from being a third wheel. I know how bad that sucks." I winked at him, and he scrunched his eyebrows together in thought.

"Your girlfriend? But, you came in alone. Does she live here? Please tell me she's not going to get mad at me. I promise I wasn't trying to move on you or anything!" He's cute when he's nervous.

"Look, Blue, between us, we both know you were flirting pretty hard. Honestly, I'm surprised you're not disgusted with me for dating a girl. I mean, it seems like a lot of people don't like me these days."

"Well, dad always says, it's not our business to know what goes on behind other people's closed doors. It's just our job to love them as they are. But seriously, your girlfriend's not gonna kick my butt or anything, right?" He looked around and fidgeted, trying to look for an exit in case someone was coming to beat him up. I laugh.

"No, I don't think she will. Hey, why don't we ask her before the concert tonight? I'll bet your friends will think you're really cool for getting them VIP backstage passes to meet Vinyl." I could see the gears grinding in his head as he put the pieces together.

"Hang on... Backstage passes? What does that have to do with anything? And who's Vinyl?" I smile mischievously at him.

"Well, DJ PON-3 is just the stage name for a lovely girl known as Vinyl Scratch. A lesser known title for her would be Girlfriend of the Amazingly Extraordinary Rainbow Dash!" He stared at me in shock, mouth gaping open. I couldn't resist a smug smile. I was the girlfriend of his idol, after all.

"Wait, what? SHE'S your girlfriend? Oh man, oh man, oh dear... She's gonna be mad. But can you really get us backstage?" I grinned and ruffled his soft, dark hair.

"Course I can. What else am I good for? And hey, kid, she won't be mad. I'll tell her you're just a charming boy I met and we became besties. Honestly, I find it flattering that you would ask me out, considering you seem to think Vinyl is the hottest person alive. I agree, by the way. She's even hotter when she's wearing nothing but my sheets." He looked thankful for the save I was giving him, and he flushed scarlet when I waggled my eyebrows and winked at the last bit. Hey, let the boy think what he will. I'll probably pay for that remark later if Vinyl ever hears about it, but it was worth it to have a little fun teasing the boy.

"You know, I don't really need to know about that... At all... Even though you're both REALLY hot..." His blush deepened when he realized he said that, and I laughed so hard I attracted the attention of his family, sans mother, and the old couple sitting in the chairs by the lobby entrance. I took a moment to catch my breath and wipe the tiny tear from my eye.

"Celestia, kid, you thought I was serious? I know how young boys work, and I know that'll probably be your fantasy for the next ten years, but I promise you, we haven't done anything at all yet. Just because we're a different kind of couple, doesn't mean we're not gonna wait for marraige. Why do you think I've got her ring on my finger?" I held up my left hand, and he caught sight of the shiny silver band.

"Oh, okay. Never mind. Wait, hang on... You guys are engaged?" I grinned at him again, and put my hand on his slim shoulder.

"We're not engaged, not yet. This is more like, a promise we made. Not even a promise ring, just a promise. No matter how far away we are, or how much time passes, we promised to always love each other. That's why she's got my little necklace hanging around that slender little neck of hers." He nodded slightly in comprehension, and smiled at me.

"That's sweet. I hope you guys do get married, because you make one heck of a couple already. Hopefully they make it legal soon. It's kinda sad to know that no matter how much you guys love each other, you have to travel a long way if you want to get married. It's not right." My heart warmed at the steely glint in his eyes, and I think he's probably the sweetest boy I've met for a long time. I really hope he doesn't turn into an asshole like most of his gender seem to be.

"Thank you. I hope you find love with someone, someday, and you get married, too. A boy as sweet as you deserves it. And, here, here's a VIP pass for your friends, and you can share mine with me. You know, since you're my escort for the night." I winked at him and handed him a silver and blue plastic card. He blushed and took it, mumbling a thank you. Glancing up at the counter, I saw his mother was finished up arguing with the desk clerk, and his family were picking up their bags. His sister was pretty cute, too. Looked about eighteen, nineteen, college age for sure. A pretty thing with piercing emerald green eyes and bleach blonde hair. Tall, slim, with just a hint of curves... Very graceful, must be a dancer or something. I like her style. Skinny jeans, Vans, band tee, and a vibrantly cerulean beanie.

I shook my head to clear the thoughts away, and mentally kicked myself. I'm supposed to be the damn Element of LOYALTY. Not being very loyal to Vi if I'm checking out other girls. I smiled at Blue again, and gave him a quick hug. A face-splitting grin spread across his face, and he blushed a little. I pick my duffel bag up from the floor and sling it over my shoulders.

"Hey, Blue, if you want, we can meet up for dinner before the concert. You can bring your friends or not. Whatever you want. My treat." His smile got wider, though that shouldn't even be physically possible.

" Alright! Sounds great! I'll tell Aurora and Fin. What time should we meet?" I pull out the cyan Sharpie I'm never without from the pocket of my white jeans, and I scribble my number on his hand.

"I'd say, it's what, three thirty now? Try five thirty. I need a couple of hours to shower and just relax a bit. Sound good?" He nods and looks at the number on his hand with poorly concealed joy. I hold the Sharpie out to him, and extend my right hand. He just looks at me for a second, before realizing I want his number. He writes elegantly on my palm, and I think it's ironic that his handwriting is better than mine. I notice absently that he's left handed like I am.

He's done in a few seconds, and he caps the marker and hands it back to me. We smile at each other, and then I point at his mom, who's waving impatiently from in front of the elevator. "I think you better go, dude. Your mom looks like she's getting antsy. I would say she's got a hot date tonight, but I think you've already got that taken care of."

He blushes, and after a momentary awkward hesitation, he hugs me again and tears off to join his family. Shaking my head, I stroll casually up to the service desk and tell the clerk my name. He hands me a piece of paper with a key code on it for Room 907, and wishes me a good afternoon. I'm relieved at how easy that had been. Sometimes hotel clerks are just nasty. I make a mental note to leave him a large tip before I leave.

A short trip up nine flights of stairs later, I stop in front of my room, and take a moment to think. It was really happening. I was going to see Vinyl in a few hours. I have no idea how she'll react. She doesn't even know I'm coming. I didn't get the tickets from her. I called her manager, Lyra Heartstrings, to get them, and swore her to secrecy so we could surprise Vinyl. Lyra thought it would be good for her. Apparently she's been homesick lately. And all she ever talks about is me. It makes me kinda happy, and kinda sad to hear that. I hate to cause her pain.

Realizing I'd been standing like a fool in the hallway with my head pressed against the wall for several minutes, I blush in embarrassment, and let myself in the room by typing the code into the keypad on the door. Tossing my duffel bag at the foot of the double bed, I collapse rather ungracefully into the padded leather armchair by the window to the balcony. Sighing, I run a hand over my face, and let my head drop back against the back of the soft chair. It's incredibly soft and comfortable. Again, perks of money. This room is pretty swank. I've got a presumably nice skyline view since I'm on the top floor of the hotel, and if it weren't so cold, I might consider stepping out onto the balcony to breathe in the fresh Boston air. Instead, I sit for a few more minutes, just relaxing, then I hop up to hang my grey wool pea coat in the closet, and I grab the tv remote and collapse onto the bed this time.

Flipping through the channels, there's not much on at all. News broadcasts, kiddie cartoons, daytime talk shows. One of the cartoons is this cutesy little technicolor world with brightly colored talking ponies, who apparently go on adventures. Utter garbage. I mean, really, everyone knows ponies can't talk. I can't believe kids watch this crap. When I was little, I watched music videos on HTV, Harmonix Television. I watched cage fights with my dad, and, unfortunately, cooking shows with my mom and Cloud. Nobody knows that. And nobody ever will, hopefully.

Eventually, I find a show that doesn't look too bad. It's something Twi had mentioned to me before, some sort of egghead British sci fi show called Doctor Who. It's not totally boring, and the monsters are pretty scary looking. Some of the sciencey concepts bother me a little, like how his telephone box is smaller on the outside, but I've never been one for understanding incredibly brainy things. I'm sure Twi would have an explanation for it, probably involving some transdimensional warp or pocket universes or something technical I won't understand. Whatever, it makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

When the show is over, and the Doctor has, predictably, beaten the bad guys after forty five minutes of suspense, I go to take a shower, because it's almost five. While I wait for the water to heat up, I check my phone for messages or missed calls. It's weird, but there's none from Vinyl. Actually, she hasn't really texted me for days, except to say goodnight and good morning. I figure she's probably just been really busy with touring and all. I'm not going to be pushy and demand that she talk to me. I'll just wait for her to respond when she will.

I go ahead and add Blue's number to my phone, before I shower and it washes away. And plus, this way I'll know it's a text from him if he decides to send me one. I'm pretty wary of unknown numbers. You never know who might be a secret stalker, or rapist, or serial killer, that just happens to have your number. It happens.

I shed my white skinnies and navy blue v-neck. Before stepping into the shower, I check the scar on my rib cage, like I always do. It's fading with time, but it still is a pretty ugly white line starting from just under my bra, stretching all the way to just above my navel. I like to think of it as my warning. I was lucky to survive that car crash, and so was Raven. I haven't been nearly so reckless since that summer. No more endless partying and occasional heavy drinking. I was dumb when I was fourteen, and I thought I was in love with Raven, so I did anything he asked. And I mean, anything. I'm not proud, but I've put it behind me. Vinyl doesn't judge me for my past, because she's already been there for most of it. She knows what I was, and she sees what I've become. That accident taught me that life was too important to throw away. So, even though the scar is a gruesome reminder of what I could have lost, I wear it proudly, because it also reminds me of what I still have.

It's crazy, you know, all the things I've been through in life, and I'm only seventeen and a half. Most people don't live this much in forty years. I've only lived about half of that time, and I feel like I've seen the world. And I want to see more. Living is exciting.

Stepping into the shower, I grab my "fresh rain" scented shampoo, squirt some into my hand, and lather my hair up. It's always a fun time trying to see what shapes I can coerce my hair into while its covered in shampoo. Don't judge. I get bored easily. I rinse, and throw some conditioner on my head to rest for a few minutes, and grab the hotel's soft washcloth and begin scrubbing my body clean. It feels good to get the dirt off my body, even if its only been about ten hours since my last shower. Long trips just seem to leave you dirty. And four hours in a car is a LONG trip.

I rinse myself, and I spin the shower knob to turn the water off. As I step out onto the bathroom floor and reach for the towel, I slip and fall forward, hitting my head on the floor. I lie there for several minutes, dazed and confused. I try to sit up, but nausea overwhelms me, and I lay back down. Okay, this is getting kinda serious. My arms felt oddly weak when I tried to sit up. That doesn't bode well.

I lie still for a few minutes, and try to figure out how I'm going to get out of this one. Eventually, I notice my phone peeking out of the pocket of my discarded jeans. I decide that I need to call someone to get help. I snag the corner of the phone and swipe it toward my body. Blue's number is still on the screen where I saved it, and I don't know if I have the coordination to search for another number right now. Like Vinyl's. I sigh and tap the "Call" icon.

After a couple of rings, he picks up. "Hey, who is this? How did you get my number?" I groan. He didn't save my number yet.

"H-hey, Blue, it's D-dash. You, uh, gave me the n-number earlier." I cringe at how weak I sound. "Hey, um, I, uh, I'm in a spot of trouble. Do you think you can help?"

"What kind of trouble? Why do you need my help?" He sounds anxious. I wonder what he's thinking. Head still foggy, I answer as coherently as I can.

"I, uh, fell. Getting out of the shower... I hit my head... and e-everything's kinda... wonky. I-I need help. Can you come help?" I know I probably sound drugged or something, and I'm becoming increasingly worried that I might have a concussion.

"Yeah! Sure thing, Rainbow! Only, where are you at?" I sigh, and struggle to recall the room number. Was it... 610? No. 970? No. Wait... 907! That's it.

"It's, uh, Room 907." I remember there's a keypad. "There's a k-keypad lock, too. The combo is 5-1-9-something. It's either 4,3,7, or 0. If t-that's not it, c-call me back w-when you get here." I hear scribbling in the background as he writes down what I've said.

"Alright, Miss Dash, I'll be right up. One more thing. Why did you call me? Why not Vinyl, or someone else? Someone you didn't just meet?" I sighed, and my head throbbed from the effort of talking this long.

"One, I-I'm trying to s-surprise Vinyl. Her birthday's c-coming up, and I w-want... to surprise her with a visit. Two, I don't... know anyone else who's... here right now. And I'm not risking calling 911 and having paramedics... find me sprawled out... naked on the bathroom floor..." I hear him laugh nervously on the other end.

"Well, try to cover up before I get there, okay. You may be hot, but I'm not sure we're far enough in our relationship yet for you to be getting naked." I laugh weakly along with him at his silly little joke, and thank him for his help. I hang up, and let my hand slide back to the cold tile floor with my phone still gripped in my palm.

I cast my gaze around, and finally settle on the towel. It's the closest thing in reach that I could use for a modicum of decency. At least, until Blue shows up and I can get him to pass me my shirt.

Shivering, I drag the towel over, painful inch by excruciating inch. Slowly, I pull it over myself, covering most of my body, and I settle in to wait for Blue. I feel my eyes begin to close, and I struggle to keep them open. If I have a concussion, the worst thing to do is fall asleep. I end up moving my arms around on the floor, and just generally moving my body in any slight way I can to keep myself awake.

About five minutes after I called Blue, I hear a slight beeping at the door, and then a metallic click as the door opens. I guess I got the code right. I hear Blue calling from the other room, and I kind of moan and/or grunt in response. He wanders in, hand over his eyes, and asks me if I'm decent enough that he can start helping. He's really a gentleman. I reply that I'm as decent as I'll get, and he lowers his hand to look at me. He just casually waves, and I laugh at the gesture for a few short seconds, until my head begins spinning again.

After the world stops rotating so much, I ask him to hand me my shirt, and I struggle to pull it on at least over my chest. Eventually, I manage to wiggle it down to hide everything, including the scar on my abdomen. The whole time, he keeps his eyes covered, like a good boy. Not that there's much to see, but I admire his manners. This situation is already awkward, and he's trying to make it less so.
I ask him to uncover his eyes and help me sit up. After the initial dizziness and nausea subsides, I take a minute to just relax against the sink and force down the rising bile in my throat. Slowly, I look up at his worried face. I grin crookedly at him for a few milliseconds, and then I close my eyes and lean my head back against the sink in pure misery.

"I know what you're thinking... Yes, that was clumsy... Yes... I'm dumb. It h-happens." He chuckles for a few seconds and sits down on the floor next to me.

"Hey, you're right. It happens. I guess I'm just glad I was here for you to call, you know? It would have sucked if you were stuck up here for hours, just laying on the floor. It's okay, you're fine. Do you need anything else right now, or should I wait a few minutes?" I opened my eyes to look at him, and thought about what I needed. Oh... Well, this is gonna be awkward. For him, at least.

"Actually, I do need something. Uh, do you think you could possibly go find a pair of my... underwear, in my duffel bag? It's at the bottom of the bed. Sorry." Blue flushes momentarily, then swallows, nods, and heads off in search of my undergarments. I feel bad about doing this to him, but right now, all I have around my lower half is a towel, and I don't want that to slip. It'd be mortifying for both of us.

Blue comes back five minutes later, clutching a pair of lime green panties. He shakily hands them to me, and turns around as I struggle to pull them on. Satisfied with the clothing covering my body, I tell him to turn around. Now comes the hard part.

"Okay, Blue... thank you. Now, I have to get up off this floor... but I can't do it myself. I'm kinda... off right now. So, I need you... to lean down here, and I'll put my arms around your neck... and then you can stand up with me. Sound good?" He nods, and kneels down beside me. I link my arms behind his neck, and he puts one deceptively strong arm around my back. Pushing up with his free hand, he stands slowly, and pulls me into a standing position.

I lean on him for a minute as I regain some sense of balance and equilibrium. My head spins, and I feel that same nausea come over me again. I hang on to him with all my strength as gravity threatens to drag me to the floor again. He smells like mint gum, and some sort of not-too-unpleasant aftershave. It's a nice mix. I feel him move his other arm around to support my weight, and I turn to the side so we can start walking back to the hotel room.

We take the first step across the frigid tile floor, and I fight back the nausea that's constantly threatening in the back of my throat. We walk slowly across to the bed, my legs shaky and unsteady on the soft grey carpet. Eventually, we make it to the bed, and Blue gently helps me sit down on it. I sluggishly slide my bare legs under the covers of the bed, and pat the empty spot next to me. Blue hesitantly looks at me, and then gingerly sits down on the left side of the bed. Leaning back against the headboard, I turn my head to grin cheekily at Blue.

"Well, that was quite an adventure, huh? So much for just being casual acquaintances... Oh well, it happens... Okay, maybe it isn't every day that you meet a cute girl... score a date with her, and then an hour later... have to come rescue her because she's "fallen and can't get up!"... Yeah, that's exciting. But honestly, life happens." He still looks a little nervous, but he smiles back at me and shakes his head.

"Yeah, okay. It was a new experience for me. Definitely not something I'd ever planned on having. But I'm glad you're okay, Rainbow. You are okay, right?" I shoot him a sarcastic smirk. Of course I'm fine. I'm invincible.

"Yes, absolutely... Give me maybe an hour... I'll be fine for the concert. Promise. Sorry about dinner, though... How about you invite your friends up here... We'll order some pizza or takeout... How does that sound?" Blue beamed at me, apparently positively delighted at my suggestion.

"Sounds great! I'm sure mom and dad won't mind. It's not like we'll all be doing anything anyway up here. They never have to know we never went out for dinner. I'll text Aurora and let then know what's up." I chuckled lightly as I watched him eagerly pull out his smartphone and type a quick message to his friends. He was so eager and excitable... But mischievous, too. Blue reminded me of myself, a little.

"Hey, Blue? Pass me my duffel. I need to go change into clean clothes for dinner and the show." He obliged happily, puppy-esque in his eager-to-please attitude. He's really cute.

I dug through the bag and found my favorite cyan dress shirt and black and white checkered tie, along with a pair of black skinny jeans. Yeah, I know, not practical for a concert, with the dress shirt and all. Which is why I had a Halo graphic tee to change into before the concert. I just wanted to look my best for Vinyl.

Making Blue turn his back while I wrestle a bra onto my body and slip into the shirt, I quickly button it so he can settle back onto the bed and continue watching the cartoon he is so enthralled with. I tug on my jeans, and tuck the tail of the shirt down into them. I drag out my black leather belt and buckle it on slowly, my hands a tad clumsy yet because I was still off from hitting my head earlier. I might have a concussion, but I'd rather surprise Vinyl, since I've waited so long. I'll go to the hospital later if I don't start feeling better.

It takes me but a second to realize there's no way I can tie my tie with the state my coordination is in. I ask Blue if he knows how to tie one, but he sadly shakes his head. I can only hope his friends know. It would suck to not be able to dress spiffy for Vi because of a dumb thing like an untied tie.

I slump onto the bed, dizzy again. Looking over at the bedside table, I spot a catalogue of menus for local restaurants. I have Blue ask Aurora what she and her boyfriend might like to eat, and I end up ordering two large pepperoni and one large cheese pizza to be delivered from a local Pizza Shack. Aurora and her boyfriend show up at the door about ten minutes after I place the order, so they've only got twenty minutes to wait.

Which, of course, they spend squealing over the concert. And the fact that I'm Vinyl's girlfriend, and got them backstage passes. Wow. I've never been so good at impressing sixteen year olds. Dear Luna, you'd think I was a celebrity myself... I mean, I'm not yet. But someday the world will see Vinyl and I together everywhere. That'll be great. I would prefer to never be separated from her like this again, but I know her fame will only grow, so more touring is inevitable. Maybe I can be a roadie or something. I'm pretty strong. I can move delicate equipment really carefully, too.

Feeling a little heartsick because of all the current fuss over Vinyl, I pick up my phone from the bedside table, and I decide that I'll send her a text to see how she's doing before the concert. I know she gets kinda nervous sometimes, and while this isn't exactly a monster venue or anything, she might still be a little worried about messing up in front of adoring fans. I would call her, but I don't want her to hear the slight shakiness still present in my voice from my fall. It'll clear up by the concert, I'm sure, but I don't want her to worry over me when she should be preparing herself for the night.

Halfway through typing out the message, the pizza arrives, and I quickly finish out an "I love you, good luck!", before I slide off the bed and snag my wallet out of this morning's jeans. Looking through the peephole, I check to make sure it's the delivery guy, and then I swing the door open and greet him. He smiles politely, green eyes twinkling under dirty blonde hair, and hands me the four pizzas. I pull out the thirty dollars he's been waiting for, and toss a twenty on top for a tip. He deserves it for getting here fast and being polite, and I'm really just feeling generous today. He breaks into a full grin as he spots the massive tip, shakes my hand, and thanks me profusely before heading off down the hallway to the elevator. Everyone I've met so far in this city has been really nice. I wonder if it's always like this.

Still musing silently to myself, I close the door with a bump of my hip, and set the door chain with my free hand to make sure it's securely locked. Friendly as they might seem, I still don't like to leave anything to chance when I'm surrounded by strangers. As I walk back to the small table in the room and set the pizza down on the cool wooden surface, I'm greeted by three sets of hungry eyes. I'd almost be afraid they'd attack me to get the food from the carnivorous gaze I'm currently under.

"Now, guys, it's just pizza. I promise, there's enough for everyone. There's literally an entire pizza for everyone. You'll be fine. No need to go all ape on me because you want food. When did you even eat last, anyway? Couldn't have been that long." I turn away from the pizza and start digging through the cupboards above the little en suite kitchenette. I find a small stack of paper plates, and some basic, cheap-o paper napkins. I drop my load on the table next to the pizzas, and drag my worn leather wallet out of my back pocket.

"Okay, guys. Who wants to go buy us all a drink from the vending machine down the hall? I know they've got pop and loads of that sugary stuff we all love. I'd go, but leaving three young, impressionable teenagers alone in a hotel room might not be the wisest idea." They all mock-glare at me, and then Blue brightens up and volunteers to go on the drink scavenging mission. I hand him ten dollars, since I have no idea what the drinks will cost, ask for a bottle of sweet tea, and he scampers off out of the room.

"You know, you're not much older than us. And given the way your hair looks, I'd say you're a lot more impressionable than we are..." Aurora looks directly at me as she says this, completely deadpan. I figure she's just being sarcastic, considering there's not a nasty tone in her voice, or a glare on her face.

"Well, my dear Aurora, the hair is completely natural. I'm sure you've seen my dear friend Spitfire's fiery locks. Au naturale. Vinyl? Yeah, that blue hair is natural, too. Maybe where you're from, most people have brown, black, blonde, or white hair, but where I'm from, most everyone has some sort of awkwardly colored hair. It's the same everywhere else I've traveled. Must be something they put in the water. Even our beloved Princesses have oddly-colored hair. It's just a common thing for us.You're actually some of the first people I've met with hair that isn't some wild color." I grin sheepishly at her, because I've always felt kinda awkward discussing my hair pigmentation around people with decidedly more tame hair. I could never explain how, when both of my parents, and most of my family, had varying shades of blonde hair, I somehow ended up with rainbow. Apparently I get it from Mom's grandfather. Never met him, so I wouldn't know.

Aurora rolls her eyes and smiles back at me. "I was just kidding, you know. A lot of people have crazy hair. Blue, Night, and I are actually in the minority back home, too." She shakes her head slightly and laughs to herself, and I blush just a tad. I'm not as well-traveled as I'd like to be, so I haven't really seen as much of the world as I'd like.

"Anyway, you were right about my being not much older than you. I just turned seventeen in December. I'd figure you guys are probably fifteen or sixteen, so I'm not exactly a "mature adult" yet. However, I'm still keeping an eye on you guys, because I'm still technically the "responsible party" here. Also, Vi would probably kill me if I were to let anything happen to you guys. I mean, she doesn't know any of us are coming, but if I'm going to be taking you to the concert and so on, I'd best protect you." I pause for a minute as I hear Blue coming back with the drinks. I open the door for him because he's got his hands full, and then I close the door and lock it again.

Blue sets the drinks down on the table next to the pizza, and I look around at all the expectant faces. "What are you guys waiting for? Grab a slice and pop a squat somewhere. I'm sure there's a movie we can watch until six." I pick up a plate and grab a couple slices of cheese pizza before the vultures swarm the boxes. Reclaiming my perch on the mattress, I watch the carnage ensue. Blue already has four slices of pepperoni on his plate, and I watch in amazement as he sits next to me and begins eating. I could almost swear I saw his jaw unhinge...

I pick up the remote and flip through the tv guide. Apparently on channel 30, they've got some thriller called From the Shadows. I flip through the channels until I reach 30, and I settle in to watch what's sure to be another mildly entertaining weak attempt at scary monsters and a dashing hero.

I'm not disappointed, and before too long, the sweet tea is gone, and the time on my phone reads 5:45. I gather up the mess, down the rest of my sweet tea, and make sure the room is relatively tidy before I turn off the tv and get the kids ready to drive down to see Vinyl before the concert. Aurora luckily knows how to tie a tie, and I beg her to fix mine before we leave. She does it happily, excited to see my girlfriend in person. Making sure all my valuables are either on me or locked up, I grab my keys and my coat, and lead the three overjoyed teens down to the parking lot. Blue and Night both sigh a little when they catch sight of the car we're heading toward.

"Like what you see, boys? She's a real beauty. Birthday present from Mom. You know, Vinyl actually has been inside this car." All three of them stare at me with wide eyes, apparently stunned at the idea of possibly getting to sit where their idol has been. Kids these days, I tell you. Entirely too obsessed with their celebrities.

"Yep. We held hands all the way to the movies in the front, and then we made out in the back." The boys' eyes get even bigger if that's possible, and Aurora just kinda gives me this unamused look.

"Okay, actually, I'm kidding. We've never made out in this car. Sorry boys. I know I'm crushing your dreams." The boys look just a tad crestfallen, and Aurora sighs and shakes her head. I unlock the car so she can get in. Surprisingly, there's no fighting over which seat they sit in. Aurora sits in the back, and Night follows. And Blue gets the privilege of riding shotgun. We're a short five minute drive from the lounge, and it passes in agonizing silence. I was actually surprised, considering how excited they all were to see Vinyl. I expected them to talk my ear off the entire way there. But Blue just stared out the window the entire time, and Night and Aurora just quietly sat in the back and twiddled their thumbs or something. These kids are odd.

When we pull into the parking lot, it's already almost full, but luckily there's a spot right between this big, black truck, and a tiny compact car. I sandwich my car between the two, and take the key out of the ignition. I just look in the rear view mirror at the two lovebirds in the back, and then I glance over at Blue.

"Okay, guys. You do know we're here, right? Parked and everything. Just unbuckle yourselves and we can head in..." I tried to fill the awkward silence, before sighing to myself and exiting the car. I folded the backseat forward, and helped Aurora climb out, as Blue did the same on the other side for Night. We walked to the building, still wrapped in that same awkward silence, until we reached the front doors, and suddenly the three of them all exploded with questions at the same time. I covered my ear with one hand as I opened the door and let them inside. The only people allowed inside right now were the owner of the building, Vinyl's crew, and us. I got weird looks from everyone until Lyra rushed to my rescue.

"Oh, you're here! Wonderful! And I see you brought guests! You certainly know how to keep attractive company, Rainbow." I laughed as she winked at Blue, who was currently attempting to hide behind me. I removed his hands from their grip on my arm, and dragged him out to stand beside me.

"Oh, don't tease the poor boy, Lyra. He's shy, and he gets nervous around hot women." I ruffled his hair affectionately as Lyra, Aurora, and Night laughed. Blue simply blushed and looked at his shoes.

"Well, he'll probably melt into a puddle when he meets Vinyl, then. Why don't you all head on back? I don't think she's really doing anything at the moment." I smiled at Lyra, and took Blue's hand to drag him after me to go see my girlfriend. The closer we got to the back room she was resting in, though, Blue took charge and pulled me along after him. Every step further only brought new worries to the front of my mind. What if she had found someone new? What if we just didn't have that same spark anymore? It's been five months since I've been able to hold her, kiss her, call her mine, whisper into her ear that I love her. It hurts to think of all the time we've lost.

All too soon, I stand in front of the door, shifting nervously on the balls of my feet as the others wait expectantly for me to open the door. Taking a deep breath to still my mind, I reach for the worn brass knob and turn, pushing the door inward onto a welcome sight.

Well, it's a welcome sight until I see a complete stranger, a man with full lips and strong hands, push my girlfriend up against a wall and begin making out with her. I hear a gasp behind me, feminine, so it must be Aurora. But I see no more of the heart-rending scene as my eyes fill with tears that sting of betrayal and loss, and I turn and sprint out the door. I run into Lyra, almost knocking her to the ground, but I can't care more than to mutter a quick apology as I continue my flight toward the door. I smash open the front doors, and run to my car as fast as my legs will carry me. I unlock the doors, and throw myself inside, curling up into a heartbroken ball in the backseat.

How could Vinyl do this to me? I know it's been a long time, but I would never do something like that. How could she? All I've ever been is loyal, caring, protective, strong... But I guess it wasn't good enough. I guess I wasn't good enough. I should have seen it coming. The missed calls, unanswered texts... I should have known. But all I ever wanted was to believe in her. To believe in us. To believe that, no matter how far away we were from each other, the strength of love would prevail.

I guess I was wrong. I was dumb. Of course I was dumb. I let myself open up to her, more than I ever have. I let myself fall for her, and then she wrecked me. Callous. Cruel. Heartless. Bitch.

No, never that. No matter how backstabbing she is, I could never bring myself to demean her. We were friends before anything, and I cannot simply toss her away and call her a bitch. That's wrong.

I hear a knock on the window, the noise penetrating the haze of grief filling my head and heart. I untuck my head from where I had covered it with my arms, and look up to see Blue's concerned face. I groan, not wanting him to see me like this. I wipe the tears from my face with the bottom of my shirt, and climb into the front seat to open the door for him. He climbs in silently, and sits down, not looking at me. Finally, I weakly punch him in the shoulder, and he looks over at me.

"What're you doing out here, Blue? Shouldn't you be inside, pestering Vinyl with all your questions? I'll be fine." He looks me straight in the eyes, and leans over to hug me.

"I'm not sure I have anything I want to say to her right now. I'm not sure if what we saw was a misunderstanding, or what, but right now, I'm here for you. Who cares about fanboy questions and talking to a famous celebrity. You know, she's not much of an idol for anyone if she really is cheating on you. That's just wrong. And everyone knows it. Aurora and Night are in there right now, trying to get the scoop on what's been going on. But I'm here for you, because you need somebody." I smile at the sincerity in his eyes, and I almost start crying again when he hugs me a second time. I barely know this kid, and we've already bonded so much. It's crazy, what life throws at you.

"Look, I know. But if you really want to go meet her, I'll be fine. I just need some time to calm down. I might actually just not go to the concert tonight. But I can go drive around and come back to get you guys, if you want." He smiles at me, and shakes his head.

"Hey, I'm not leaving you. It's never good to leave someone after a heartbreak like this. You're stuck with me. We can just hang out here all night, if you-" Blue stops suddenly, at another knock on the window. It's Lyra. I open the door to talk to her, afraid of what she's doing out here.

"Yes, Lyra? I take it you're out here for some reason. It's not really a good time for just shooting the breeze, is it?" She sighs, and looks right at me, and I swear she's trying to look into my soul or some dumb crap.

"I am. Dash, Vinyl has something she'd like to say, if you'll let her. I promise you, it's not what you think. Do you think you could give her a chance?" I glare back at her, and then I feel the fight just leave me. There's no reason to be mad at Lyra. It's not like she was the one macking on Vinyl. Sighing, I collect my thoughts, and look over at Blue for reassurance.

"Yeah, Lyra, I think I can handle letting her explain. I mean, what kind of person would I be to make assumptions and point fingers. If she's got something to say, let her say it, and be done with it." I step out of the car, nod at Lyra, and wait for Blue to come around and stand next to me. I linger nervously by the car for a minute, before shutting the door with a quiet thunk and locking it.

Blue holds my hand for support, and I steel myself and begin walking toward the lion's den.