• Published 30th Jun 2012
  • 2,319 Views, 202 Comments

Blue Eyes and a Beat - TheOriginalDash



One night, Rainbow decides to hit the club and hang out with her friend Vinyl. They head out to the roof to take a break from partying. What happens next may change how their whole world views love... or at least their friends and family.

  • ...
5
 202
 2,319

A Tense Reunion

I really wanted Vinyl to talk to Mom, but I was still kind of nervous. When I first revealed my...condition, years earlier, it just about broke her heart, after what Dad did. Of course, it was worse because Cloud decided it would be a good idea to talk to her at the same time. We basically hit her over the head with a hammer of gay-ness. Ouch. She accepted it in the end, after all, we are her children, but she still gets kind of nervous whenever we come around with our partners.

I stopped just before I reached the door, and pulled out my phone. "Hey...Mom...I'm...bringing...my...girlfriend...to...visit...See...you...in...a...few," I quickly typed. I pressed send, and turned around, only to find Vinyl about an inch from my nose. She kissed the end of it, and pulled away, skipping to the door.

That's another thing that's changed about her. Ever since we started going out, she seemed...girlier? She was definitely happier, and this is a side of her I'd never seen. Little did I know that I'd changed as well, luckily, for the better. Anyone who hung around me would say that I seemed more relaxed, more at peace. I put it all down to being in love.

"Are you just gonna stand there all day, or am I gonna get to see your Mom?" She stood inside the doorway, hands on her curvy hips. She swept a hand in the direction of the door, and I caught the hint. "Come on, let's go." She grabbed my hand and pulled me out into the noise of the city.

She dropped back to walk with me, shoulder to shoulder. I held her hand, and we began the five minute walk to my mom's house. It would've been quicker if I had a car, but I was sadly only sixteen, and therefore, could not afford a car. Oh well, I run farther than this every morning.

Vinyl bumped into me, and I was pulled back to the real world. I bumped her back, and we both ended up with huge grins on our faces. I couldn't help it, I was just so in love with her. At this point, I didn't care how sappy it made me, I wasn't going to let her go. I swung my arm, and hers with it. I was higher than Cloud Nine, I was on my way to the stratosphere. I would have been sprinting the five blocks to my mother's house at this point, but seeing as Vinyl couldn't, I was happy to be strolling along the noisy city sidewalk.

We managed to move rather quickly through the city streets, snaking through the crowds of people. We passed AJ on our way, and she smiled at me, nodding slightly as she did. I felt the blood rise in my face, and waved at her. I was glad that she accepted it, seeing as her family is so conservative. It made me feel stronger, that someone could put aside their beliefs to support a friend. I just had to hope everyone else was okay with it.

A few minutes later, we hopped up the stairs to my mom's condo. I leaned forward and rang the doorbell, hearing the pleasant chimes ring inside. A muffled shout came from within, and shuffling footsteps came toward us. The locks clicked, and my mom opened the door, smiling at me. That smile dimmed a little as she noticed Vinyl, but she welcomed us inside all the same. I stopped inside the doorway, and removed my shoes, showing Vinyl to do the same. I hung my jacket on a peg, and waited for Vinyl to finish greeting my mom. She turned to me, and looped an arm around my waist, showing that we were together. I smiled at my mom, grateful that she didn't say anything. She answered with one of her own, and led us into the living room. I took a seat in an armchair, and pulled Vinyl into my lap. Mom sat in a chair of her own, looking like she didn't quite know what to make of the blue-haired girl that had stolen her daughter's heart. I was the first to break the silence.

"It's really good to see you. I missed you so much, and I kind of regret having to leave." I did, sort of, maybe. She sniffed, and sat for a moment, trying to take it all in.

"So, how long have you two been together?" She seemed genuinely curious, which was a good sign. Maybe she wasn't upset anymore.

"Well, two days, but it feels like a lot longer, 'cause we've been friends so long." I winced a little at the look she gave me.

"I am well aware of how long you have been friends. You used to have sleepovers every weekend." She smiled kindly at us, and I was finally at ease. It seemed that she wasn't mad at all, just a little miffed at the short notice of our visit. "Whatever happened to that Fluttershy you two were always with? She seemed like a nice girl." I felt a twinge in my heart at the mention of her.

"Well, Shy's been working a couple of states over for some time now, at some big zoo, while she gets her degree in marine biology. I was planning on going to see her in a few weeks, as she'll be graduating. Luckily, she'll be studying the sea life here, on the coast." I missed her, and her quiet personality. She always managed to cheer me up. and I needed that. I think Vinyl missed her, too, but she just wouldn't admit it. She wasn't exactly the type to wear her heart on her sleeve. Fluttershy could always manage to get her to talk, but I never could.

"Well, that's nice. I'm glad that all worked out. Especially after you two broke up." Great, mom. Talk about my ex in front of my girlfriend. Good thing was, Shy never seemed to feel bad about our breakup. I was afraid for the longest time that I had hurt her, but she told me that she felt it, too. And of course, Vinyl already knew, but I'm not quite sure how she felt about it, or how it would affect our friendship with her. I figure we'll all work it out.

"Yeah, Mom. But we're okay, she felt the same. We were just too far away for it to work well anymore. Can I see you alone for a moment?" I planned to have a talk with her, and Vinyl really shouldn't have to deal with my messy family life. Mom nodded, and got up to follow my request.

"Sorry, love, but I've got to sort a few things out. I'll be right back." Vinyl stood up, worry in her eyes, and I gave her a quick peck, feeling bad about having to do this in front of her. I turned, and stalked toward the kitchen, mildly angry with my mom.

I waited for Mom to walk farther in, and I closed the door. "What was that? Talking about Shy? Not only is that bad manners, but you know that hurts! She was my best friend, and definitely a good girlfriend. Explain yourself." I was really irritated that she had done that.

"I'm sorry, I forgot. And I didn't mean any harm by it, I was just curious." She stood on the opposite side of the room.

I came a little closer to her, glaring down at the shorter woman."Really, because it sounded like you were trying to cause a fight. Vinyl already knows about Shy, and she's okay with it. She's the one that asked me out, for Pete's sake!" I still didn't understand the reasoning behind my mom's comments. "It seems like you've forgotten that the three of us were so close. Of course Vinyl already knows! There was really no way you could have caused a fight, and it was a terrible thing for you to try."

"I'm sorry, I already told you that. You should just be happy that I even accept your differences!" She looked even angrier than I'm sure I did.

I staggered back, as if she had punched me."I should be glad that you accept me?! I'm your daughter! You gave birth to me! There should be no conditions to your love! If anyone has a problem, it's you!" My voice rose steadily, along with my anger. I leaned back against the counter, and took a calming breath. "Look, I'm sorry for yelling. I just, I don't understand. I know what happened with Dad, but that shouldn't change your mind about me. At least you can be proud of the twins, they're straight, after all. And that's what you always wanted, a perfect family." I curled my hands into fists, and released them slowly."All I ever wanted was your love. I wanted you to accept Vinyl, and be happy that I had found someone to love. I don't care about anything else." My arms were extended at my sides, and I glared fiercely down at my mother, the very image of an avenging angel.

She looked up at me, and nodded slowly."I'm sorry, I've been a terrible mother. I just wanted you to have a normal childhood. I guess I forgot what normal was. I just want you to be happy, and if she makes you happy, then I'm happy. Are we okay?" She reached her arms out tentatively, her face crumpling as her anger decreased.

I walked toward her, and hugged her, showing her what my words couldn't. I wasn't quite sure that this truce wasn't temporary; she had backed down awfully quickly. "Yeah, we're okay. I can't stay mad at you anyway. You're my mom." I rubbed her back, something that everyone seems to do when they hug someone.

She smiled, and followed me back out into the hallway, feeling more secure than ever in our bond. I practically floated back down to the living room, anxious to reassure my girlfriend. I found her sitting in the same chair, looking slightly uncomfortable. I flashed an easy smile at her, and gave her a thumbs-up. She got up and ran to hug me, burying her head in my chest. I folded my arms around her, and waited for the inevitable apology.

"I'm so sorry, I caused a problem, didn't I?" She looked up at me, a question in her eyes. I shook my head, and released her.

"No, it was actually just my mom's questions, and my hotheadedness. It's cool, we're good." I turned to find my mom leaning in the doorway, a look of approval on her face. She grinned, and came over to us.

"Well, it seems that the worst is over, so lets all enjoy some of my famous lemon cake." I just about jumped up to the ceiling.

"Yes, please!" Vinyl seemed curious about my enthusiasm, and I just took her hand and led her to the kitchen. "Just wait, it'll be the best thing you've ever tasted."

"I'll take your word for it. Let's eat!" I laughed, and went to get the plates.