• Published 30th Jun 2012
  • 2,319 Views, 202 Comments

Blue Eyes and a Beat - TheOriginalDash



One night, Rainbow decides to hit the club and hang out with her friend Vinyl. They head out to the roof to take a break from partying. What happens next may change how their whole world views love... or at least their friends and family.

  • ...
5
 202
 2,319

A Message Full of Memories

I woke in the morning to the sound of Nero blaring from my alarm clock. I slung my arm around until I found the button to turn it off, and I dropped my limp hand on it to silence the noise. I was so not ready to be awake. I sat up for a minute, trying to regain conscious thought, instead of the half fragments I had floating around in my head. I rubbed my hands over my face a couple of times, and shook my head. Reaching out, I found my lamp, and switched it on.

"Ngah! Oowah! Good morning, Tank!" I stretched all the kinks out of my muscles and patted the tortoise's shell. He gurgled happily, and stretched out his tiny, leathery legs. He blinked sleepily, and snuggled back into the blankets. I wished I were so lucky. Unfortunately, I had to answer the call of nature before I could do anything else.

Emerging from the bathroom, I shuffled into the kitchen to look for something to drink. I grabbed a glass out of the cabinet and popped the fridge open. Moving a couple of containers aside, I found the milk. There's nothing quite like it for keeping healthy bones. And being the athletic stud that I am, this kind of stuff is important for me.

After I wiped off the inevitable milk mustache, I headed back to my room to get dressed. My phone was sitting on the nightstand, and I picked it up to check for messages. There were two, one from Pinkie, and one from Fluttershy. I opened the one from Pinkie first, not sure about what Fluttershy would have to say. I opened the voicemail, and braced myself for the forthcoming barrage of noise and excitement.

"Hiya, Dashie! How are you? I'll bet you're doing great, because a little birdie told me you and Vinyl finally got together! I just knew you two were perfect for each other! And now I can throw you guys a party, and we can all celebrate, and it'll be just like old times! Well, call me back when you get up! Bye bye, Dashie!" The automated voice came on, and I tried to recover hearing in my right ear. That happened every time, no matter how far away I held the phone.

I closed the voicemail, and opened up Fluttershy's text. I was rather wary of what it might be about, but I had to get it over with eventually. I looked down at my phone, expecting some weepy passage that would make me feel bad. Actually, it wasn't sad at all.

Hey, Dash. It's been awhile, huh? I just wanted to let you know that I'll be in town next weekend. Maybe we could meet up and talk. Let me know if you can.

I backed up and sat on the edge of my bed. That actually sounded really nice. I'd like to go and see Shy, I just don't know how well that would work for her or Vinyl. I really wanted them to talk to each other, not that they hadn't before. I know that we were all really close, even though Shy and I split, so this could be good for all of us. I'll just have to see what Vinyl thinks. Despite her ostensibly brash and loud attitude, she was really good at dealing with other people, and judging their reactions. I was almost jealous at times.

I locked my phone, and let myself fall back on the bed. I flung my arms above my head, and closed my eyes. I was so bad at dealing with love. But that's okay, because nobody needs to be perfect. I'm gonna try, though, because Vinyl is worth it. I've only scratched the surface of what she is, and she doesn't even know what she means to me. And that's why I need to seal up my leaky heart, full of holes from past hurts. It needs to be whole, so she can have the best of me. She deserves nothing less.

So, I guess I needed to go see Vinyl. I figure she would be okay with it, she likes Shy, too. We all used to hang out when we were little. We were the three amigos, the three musketeers. I can't remember a time when we weren't all together, and getting into some trouble. Well, it was mostly Vinyl and I getting into trouble, but Shy was always around someplace, usually hiding. But she was moral support, and that's worth something, I guess.

I tossed my phone on my nightstand, and walked to where I kept my clean clothes. I picked out a Doctor Who shirt that Mom had gotten me last Christmas, a pair of TARDIS blue skinny jeans, and necessary underthings. Then, I headed off to get a shower, and hopefully clear my head.