• Published 30th Jun 2012
  • 2,318 Views, 202 Comments

Blue Eyes and a Beat - TheOriginalDash



One night, Rainbow decides to hit the club and hang out with her friend Vinyl. They head out to the roof to take a break from partying. What happens next may change how their whole world views love... or at least their friends and family.

  • ...
5
 202
 2,318

A Walk To Remember

I still held Vinyl's hand as we walked through town. She squeezed my hand every time someone walked past. I felt my heart constrict as the revelation hit me. She hadn't come out to anyone yet! I mean, I hadn't except for my friends, but I didn't have a problem with announcing it to the world. I looked at her worried face, and my heart hurt even more.

Looking ahead, I saw an alley, and I pulled her into it. She was visibly trembling by now, so I gathered her up in a hug, surrounding her with my own body and wings. I was treated to the smell of her shampoo, something citrus-y, like oranges? I kept holding her as she calmed down a little. I didn't let her go yet, but I started to speak.

"Hey, I'm sorry, I forgot. I know, that wasn't very smart of me, and I'm so sorry. I wish I would have realized it sooner." I rested my chin on top of her head, and just stood there, comforting her in that grimy alley. I was a little confused, I had never seen this side of her before, in all of the time I had known her. She was all weepy and sensitive. I kind of liked it, the fact that she was always trying to be strong, even when she wasn't. The feel of her breathing calmed me a little, I guess. Finally she spoke.

"It's okay, I was just a little worried, you know? I mean, how are people gonna react? People like us usually aren't public about, you know..." She took a deep breath, still clutching me tightly, and started again. "What I mean is, I'm worried people are gonna hate us." She started crying again, and my heart broke. I swear, I'd never seen this girl so emotional.

"Hey, listen. What we've got is more important than what anyone thinks. And, I'm sure nobody's gonna hate you. They're just jealous they can't have me now." I added that last part as a joke, and she did manage to find the humor. I still wasn't going to let go. "I understand if you don't want to tell people yet. I'll respect it if you want to keep us private."

She shook her head, which was more like rolling it on my shoulder. "I just feel so ashamed, you know, to feel like I want to hide it. That I want to hide us. She had finally stopped crying, but I was almost to tears myself. When did I get so emotional? I know Vi had always had me wrapped around her little finger, but I had never been this weak because of something emotional.

So, I did the only sensible thing. "Come on. We're gonna prove something." I took her hand, and led her out of the alley. I stopped when we reached a crowded intersection, and pulled her close to me. I kissed her softly, gently covering her lips with my own. I pulled back, and shouted, "I'm in love with the most beautiful girl in the world!" A few passerby cheered, but I didn't hear a single hateful word. Probably just because they were shocked, but I'll take what I can get. Vinyl was still a little freaked, though.

"You see? Nobody's gonna hate you. And if they do, so what? It's none of their business who your heart belongs to." I was still high on my discovery, I would've promised the moon to her if she asked for it. She nodded, a weak smile appearing on her face. I took her hand, and began skipping down the sidewalk. I just hope nobody I knew saw it.

We passed graffittied buildings and cracked sidewalks on our way to the park, stopping for a quick kiss every now and then. We got some stares, but nothing more. Probably because I glared at the last busybody. Hey, I can be pretty scary when I want to be.

Finally, we stepped off of pavement, and onto grass. Vinyl audibly sighed, probably because there were less people to be offended in the mostly empty park.

I nudged her and pointed to a grassy spot under a big maple tree. I took her hand, and pulled her down to sit next to me. I picked up a fallen leaf, and placed it on my head, like a hat, just to see how much I could make her laugh. She noticed it, giggled a little, then picked up a leaf of her own. She placed it in her palm, and blew it softly away. I couldn't help but think how beautiful she looked in the soft autumn light. When had she grown so striking? Somewhere along the way, my goofy, occasionally gap-toothed, best friend had become a woman. A woman so breath-taking, I could hardly register that she was mine in every way now.

She caught me staring and blushed. She tilted her head forward, to hide her face, and I just stared more. How did I, of all people, end up with her? She's the most beautiful, talented girl I know, and she chose me! I must be the luckiest person in the world. How did I ever stumble into friendship with such a graceful, wonderful, gorgeous creature?

I scooted forward a little, and lay back on the ground under that maple tree. She turned toward me, and unreadable expression on her face. Then, she lay down with me, her hair splayed out on the ground. She moved closer, and curled up like a cat, with her head on my stomach, a familiar position for us. She reached out for my hand, and then slowly began to fall asleep. Her breathing slowed, and she began to snore softly. A small smile was on her face, and I found that I had one, too. This was the first time I had ever felt content to just sit down, and relax. It was so peaceful out here, that I soon found myself drifting off, too, reveling in the safety of our love. I had my free hand on her side, cradling her closer to me. I closed my eyes, and fell asleep to the sound of birds chirping.