• Published 30th Jun 2012
  • 2,319 Views, 202 Comments

Blue Eyes and a Beat - TheOriginalDash



One night, Rainbow decides to hit the club and hang out with her friend Vinyl. They head out to the roof to take a break from partying. What happens next may change how their whole world views love... or at least their friends and family.

  • ...
5
 202
 2,319

A Relaxing Moment

I woke up as the slanting rays of the sun hit my eyes. Holding a forearm over my eyes, I figured it was somewhere around late afternoon, close to dinner time. I glanced down, and Vinyl was still slumbering sweetly. I hated to wake her up, but I was cramping all over, and needed a good stretch. My legs and wings were killing me. I ran my fingers through my hair, and tried to figure out how to rouse her gently. She may have been a fast waker, but she was definitely a deep sleeper, as always.

"Hey sleepyhead, you gotta get up. I'm cramping like you wouldn't believe!" As an afterthought, I added, "And I thought that only came once a month?" She managed to wake up for that last bit, giggling as she did so. Her laugh was still warm and comforting, even wrapped in a sleepy haze.

She looked up at me, still groggy. Then, she jumped, as if my being there was a surprise. She stared at me for a long minute, lost in thought. Then, she voiced those thoughts.

"So it wasn't a dream! I was hoping it wasn't. I swear, if it would have been, I would've kicked some Sandman-ass!" She popped up for a quick kiss. I still wasn't used to this intimacy with her. It was so different from how we always were, and yet, not so very different at all.

"I told you I wouldn't ever leave you. Didn't you believe me?" I leaned back against the tree, my back twinging after remaining in that awkward position so long. My arms were all pins and needles, and my legs had a slight burning feel, like after sprinting for a long time. My wings were still numb, and I was grateful, because as soon as the blood flow began to circulate through them again, I would be on fire.

"Oh, I believed you, I just couldn't believe it was real. Think about it, the hottest girl I know just happens to like me back, and isn't totally freaked when I kiss her out of the blue. I guess, my question is, how could I be so lucky?" She had the cutest look of amazement on her face, like she still couldn't believe I was here, with her leaning on me. I couldn't half believe it, either. I had never expected this in my wildest dreams.

"You know, I was thinking the same thing. Must mean we're meant to be, that whole, great minds think alike, or whatever. I guess we're kinda like Romeo and Juliet, only without all that death and violence, and feuding families." I smiled a little at actually knowing a bit of Shakespeare. "So which one am I, Romeo, or Juliet?" I thought on that for a minute. "You know what, we're not like them at all. We'll make our own love story!" I was still pretty happy over the fact that we were actually together, that I hadn't dreamed it all. Now, if only I had been dreaming about the pain in my neck. Which, figuratively, Vinyl usually was.

We just sat together for a few more minutes, enjoying the cool autumn air. Finally I looked down. Her head was resting on my shoulder, the breeze ruffling her hair. I leaned down, and whispered, "I love you." She leaned up and kissed me, her lips soft against mine. When her eyes opened, I noticed something different. I had seen it earlier, but had since forgotten. "Hey, weren't your eyes red?" I was a little confused, seeing as how, now, her eyes were blue.

She shifted around to face me, embarrassment written on her face. "You see, the thing is, people usually get really distracted by my eyes, you know, with them being red. So, ever since this summer, every time I go out without my goggles, I use magic to make my eyes this color. That way, people would stop staring, and be able to hold a decent conversation with me. The only people it's never affected were my mother, and well, you. It makes sense, because this is a slightly more common eye color." She started laughing. "It was always so weird to be talking, and the other person just trails off, and starts staring. That's why I never had many friends, aside from you, Shy, and Tavi." She looked a little sheepish, probably worried that I would laugh at her.

"Oh, well, okay. That does make a lot of sense, actually." I understood, seeing as people had always stared at my hair. "I get that, my hair's always drawn attention." She nodded solemnly, dj turned priestess.

"That's what drew me to you in the first place. That, and your devil-may-care attitude. I loved how you always just shrugged stuff off, and didn't let it bother you. I still do." She paused for a second, considering her words. "As you can see, I'm not actually all that strong on the inside. I hung around you, because when I'm with you, I can be strong." She covered her mouth with one hand, like she regretted what she had just admitted. I had known for years that she made me stronger, but I never figured she felt the same.

I pulled her closer, and sighed a little. It was just one more thing we had in common. "It's okay, I'm not that strong, either, but with all that teasing, I had to put up that front. I was probably called twenty kinds of gay a day." It hurt, remembering all those nights spent crying myself to sleep. "It's funny, I guess they were right, in the end. But I won't let that bother me." She curled up further, and was silent for a few minutes. I wondered what she was thinking, and then, she answered that question.

"Well, I guess that makes two of us." She closed her eyes, and leaned back against me. I couldn't hold it any longer, I busted out laughing. She flipped around, a puzzled look on her face.

"I was thinking, this makes what, the thousandth tender moment we've had, and only in a few hours' time." I held up my hands in defense. "It's not that I didn't enjoy it, but I hope you're not gonna make me go soft. Always were good at pulling on my heartstrings." I had the cheesiest grin on my face, and she did, too. Then, she punched me. Twice. Yep, same old Vi.

"Yeow! Okay, kidding. I guess, it just seems a bit like a fairy tale. You know, where one person has all this unrequited love, and, magically, the other person falls in love with them. They end up marrying, and happily ever after, the end." I found that she was smirking.

"What? What did I say?" She was enjoying my confusion, maybe too much.

"Well, we fit that description, don't we?" She still had that smile.

"Yeah, so?" I was really confused, now.

"I may want a fairy tale ending, but I'm not getting married yet!" Her eyes filled with tears of mirth, enjoying her lame joke.

"Hey! That's not what I meant! And your joke was a little flat, anyway. Kinda like my chest." I knew my face had turned bright red, but I could always crack a joke to lighten my embarrassment.

"Yeah, I know, but you should see the look on your face! Talking about true love, I could swear you were just dreaming about it. Who would've known big, bad, Rainbow would want a happily ever after romance?" She started to collapse into a fit of giggles, relying on me to hold her up. I was sorely tempted to let her fall over, but I couldn't do it.

"Hey, I'm just like any other girl on the inside!" My pride was smarting a little at the insinuation that I was too manly for that sort of stuff. "I guess I started dreaming about it after my mom got...I can't talk about it." I leaned back, gazing into the sinking sun. It turned everything a sort of golden color, bronzing Vinyl's pale skin, and bringing out the beautiful fire inside her.

Vinyl looked at me, sobered. "You can tell me anything, Dash. You know that." She seemed genuinely concerned, and my walls started to slip, letting those painful memories flood in. I curled farther into myself, tensing against her warmth.

"No, I can't talk about this. It's too, I don't know. I've never understood it. All those years, and then, poof, no daddy." I closed my eyes, seeing those fragmented scenes play across my vision. I had relived those moments countless times, torturing myself, but it was something I needed to remember, so that I couldn't be hurt again.

"Hey, look at me. Dash, I'll always be there for you. Please tell me." I made the mistake of opening my eyes. She was right there, eyes pleading desperately, face open and honest. It hurt to see her so worried for me, and I made my decision.

"Oh, fine! If you want to hear about it, how about we talk over dinner, my treat." She nodded, then cracked a grin. She wouldn't be so happy after hearing what I had to say.

"Are you, Rainbow Miriam Dash, asking me out on a date?" I looked up, startled. What in Equestria? I guess I was? She was still as good at confusing me as ever.

"I kinda thought we already were on one?" She laughed even more, if that was possible. Uh oh.

"Yeah, but it doesn't count if you don't ask properly," she finished, with a twinkle in her eyes.

"So what should I do, try out some cheesy pickup lines, and my drunken slur immediately romances you?" Now I was just playing. She laughed again, the sound filling me more completely than even flying could.

"No, that's what stupid guys do to whores. You aren't stupid, or a guy, and I'm pretty sure I'm not a whore. You've got to do it properly, like I said. She was pushing it, but I enjoyed our game of cat-and-mouse. Okay, I can do proper.

I took her hand, looked her straight in the eyes, and without a trace of sarcasm, asked her. " Would you, Vinyl Scratch, do me the honor of accompanying me to a local eatery?" She laughed some more, and then answered.

"Surely, my good lady. For thine eyes twinkleth with the light of yonder stars." By that time, we had both collapsed on the ground, laughing. Man, if this was just the first date, what was it gonna be like in a few months? We were already so familiar with each other, but being in a relationship had changed our dynamic.

Finally I could breathe again, and had recovered enough to form a coherent thought. "Okay, I don't think we should talk like this anymore, we would get some weird stares." She just nodded, still laughing too much to speak. Luna, she was even more beautiful when she smiled.

I glanced at the sky, and was greeted by the sight of storm clouds. "Hey, if we're gonna go, we need to go now. There's a nasty storm on the way. Weather team designed it a couple weeks back to combat the slight drought." I stood up, my butt damp and dirty from the ground. I dusted off, and held out out a hand to help Vinyl up. She took it, and jumped instead of standing. She took a minute to comb the leaves out of her hair and mine, and dust off her pants. I almost wish she weren't so prissy. Almost.

She grabbed my hand again, and we were on our way. My only thought was, 'I hope my hands aren't sweaty.' Oh, you know, and accidental wingboners...